How Did You Get Into Fire Emblem

KawaiiPersona

I was wandering around EB Games in year 7, saw Radiant Dawn on the shelf and thought "that box art is fucking cool". So I picked it up. After fumbling my way through part 1 the game clicked with me and I was hooked.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when FE7 first came out in America, my brother bought the game so he could play it on our Gamecube's GBA player. The rest is history.

(bonus points: we also owned mkdd with the bonus disc)

So we all love fire emblem

Speak for yourself. (And a vast majority of the board tbf).

That said; friend had FE9 and a Gamecube, we ended up giving it a shot and I was way more into it than he was though I somehow forced him to beat it essentially twice (shout-out to my sick Year 5 peer pressure skills I guess). Then I got 8... then 7. Thankfully I didn't find the boards then because I would've been, like.

Twelve.

I joined in 2009, can't remember what event actually triggered that. Sadly.

Played Brawl and really liked playing Marth and Ike. Shadow Dragon was the most recent FE game to come out at the time so that was the one I played first, and it was also advertised on the box as being "a remake of the original tale" so I figured I might as well start at the beginning.

Ditto.

Plus, I had played Advance Wars : Days of Ruin and loved it. Therefore, finding out Fire Emblem is made by the same company was another selling point for me.

Edited by Silver Pegasus

Super Smash Bros. Melee introduced me to several franchises, like Earthbound and, well... Fire Emblem. I never really went out of my way to get a game of this franchise, though, so the first contact I really had with FE was through 3DS's Ambassador Program, with Sacred Stones. Enjoyed the plot and especially the cast, and was absolutely blown away by the fact that this huge cast of characters all had unique and developed personalities and backstories. Then, I bought Awakening and went on to play the rest of this series.

I met Marth and Ike in Brawl, in 2013 I tried Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones for the first time but didn´t had time to finish them, December 2014 came and so I´ve tried Awakening and loved it. After that I've wanted more and so I tried Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones again and loved them as well (SS more than BS though). Later I gave FE11 a try and didn´t liked it, then this year I got to play FE1 (still playing), 2 (still playing), 3 (haven't started), 4 (haven't started) and 6 (liked it).

I liked Marth, Roy and Ike because of the medieval feeling but I never checked about what game they came from.

Around the summer of 2014, one of my friends let me borrow his Awakening when I asked about the game they came from.

At first, I wasn't very interested because I was only playing LOZ and Pokémon. But then I got curious and I got hooked by the game.

I was hooked by the game, I looked at every shop for a copy of Awakening and I found one.

And then that was the beggining.

Edited by Nym

I err started with Awakening. I tried the demo and I thought it was really fun. So about a month later I bought the game. I remember I loved it for its depth of characters, tho I really don't care for them now. Then after it I tried emulating 7 and that took off from there and now I've played them all except Fates.

I got into the series thanks to Smash Brothers Melee, I looked up who Marth and Roy were, and in 2003 I was greeted with "Fire Emblem" in my local Gamestop. I got it and have been hooked ever since.

I've played every game in the franchise barring Fates as of now, and I love em all. So I once again will thank Sakurai for introducing me to it.

I first learned about Awakening by reading a review about it on the UK official Nintendo magazine. I thought the game looked nice and decided to give it a try, there wasn't really much else to it. From Awakening I played other games, such as Radiant Dawn (which became my favourite), and the next FE game I'm planning to get is the Sacred Stones after I complete HHM. I like the series because with each new game I learn something about the series that for whatever reason I didn't know or just disregarded, for example when I first played Blazing Sword it really drilled into my head the importance of the environment a unit is in and the weapon triangle.

I first learned about Fire Emblem when I was young around 12 maybe? I remember seeing the game in a game magazine and became curious about it. My friend then had FE7 so I played it for a bit and thought the game was really cool. On my sister's birthday my dad bought her the FE8 and I played that one a lot. I ended up saving up money and buying my own copy of the game because I didn't want to share the game with anyone. Yes, I am THAT greedy.

If i remember, when i played Smash Bros, i didn't know most of the half roster in there, only some things like your typical Mario, Zelda, Pikachu, heck, i didn't even knew who Kirby was until later, either way, i wasn't too interested in Smash Bros back then, so my interest regarding the series faded, now, years later, i started to discover more youtubers who talked or wrote more about games, and one of those who picked my attention was this one guy called whoisthisgit, a British Guy who talks about, certain kinds of topics.

Now i don't remember exactly how i first discovered him, i think it was with a Creepy Bad Endings video, which, i didn't recalled too much what was the first one, but anyway, the dude likes FE a lot, and in some of his videos, he starts to talks about Fire Emblem 4, 6, 7 and 8 respectively, at that time, my interest and knowledge with the series was 0, i got some other games to play so i didn't bothered with FE, until i decided to pick one to start, i decided to do it with FE3 which was, kinda hard for me back then since it didn't have tutorials or some things, so i basically backed off (I also let Shiina die, btw, one of the most crucial characters for this game).

And then i went with FE7, and that's where everything started, i learned more about the series in general, i discovered games like Tear Ring Saga and other games like it's type, such as Langrisser, as of now, my interest about the series is pretty, variable, i sometimes get in the FE mood, other times i just get tired of it and i want to move on, etc. It's not the kind of game i would be playing 24/7, and is not exactly addicting for me, but is a good entertainment, and for me, that's more than enough.

My first exposure to Fire Emblem was through Smash Bros melee, but I didn't really know the characters or where they came from. I saw Roy and was like "Ey, it's the the sword guy with the red hair and the flaming whatever, let's give it a go~". Later I saw an ad on TV for Blazing Sword (wah-huh? Fire Emblem had advertisements!?) and got more interested. I was determined to play the after seeing a special ad and review of Blazing Sword in a gaming magazine. The Fire Emblem sticker from the magazine is still on the door to my room back in America.

I had heard of it through Brawl and Melee but I didn't get to actally buying one until my last year of high school, which is when I bought FE7. Can't recall why I did, for the life of me.

Despite being an RPG fan all my life, I somehow managed to never hear about Fire Emblem until Smash. And even then I was unaware it ever came out over here. I don't think I would have bought it during the GBA years though, because I was turned off SRPGs when I was a kid. (I found Shining Force super hard and was like screw this genre forever when I was like 7) But then I saw the Smash trailer for Robin and Lucina and I've always thought swordswomen were sweet, so because I thought Lucina looked cool I checked out Awakening.

Edited by angienessyo

So I was perusing through Anime Insider way back in the day and I happen upon this ad with this blue haired girl with a rapier, her brother with a spear and this awesome looking red head with a sword, and I wanted to know more about it. Sadly I couldn't get the game because, at the time, it was sold out of the local game stop. So I chalked it up to trying to find out more about the series, and then I got to see Marth and Roy in action in Melee and I wanted to actually play the series where they came from.

So basically I just point to Joshua whenever anyone asks what got me into Fire emblem.

I got melee when i was 6/7, I bearly knew any of the characters on the roster but I became intrested in learning where they came from

but, as a kid I was so doped out on riddlen I can barely remember much of what happened between the ages of 7-13 but I kinda remember playing fe 7&8 in my room on my gba player

but I eventually got PoR in 2006 in the $10 bargin bin of Kmart, which eventually got sold and was lost for a long time

untill a Play'n Trade opened up near where I live, I was buying up some games I owned as a kid and ther I saw a copy of PoR for $80

and when I had the guy get the game out of the glass case I looked inside the box and found that the disk had my initals that my mom had written on there for me as a kid, and what was even cooler was the map I had printed and had wrote on as a kid was still in there.

I spent the $80 bucks to buy back a piece of my childhood, no regrets

and then I fell out of FE for a while

but now I'm in love with the series again

Just like every one else I found out about fire emblem first though Meele. FE 7 was my first Fire Emblem, and I probably bought because I liked advanced wars (I just don't remember I just know I got it close to it's original release), both me and my brother had copies as well as a couple of my friends and we all played FE 7 & 8 together when they came out it was a great time I adored both games and they where the first GBA games would I play at home. I remember the time I told my mom I wanted to be a Assassin (basically wanting to be Jaffar my favorite character) for Halloween, she flipped out and I had settle for being a thief which she still was not happy with. sadly I was the only one to make the console jump.... GBA was such a great system, FE 7&8, Advanced Wars, Final Fantasy Tactic Advanced, Pokemon Ruby/S/E, and so many other great games....

Edited by Locke087

FE6 was my first Fire Emblem game. I started to look for other franchises during the GC-GBA era. At that time, Super Mario was starting to rub me the wrong way with both Mario Sunshine and having Peach in Melee. The main Donkey Kong games pretty much died out after the N64 era. There wasn't anything new from Pokémon back then and when RSE finally came, that also rubbed me the wrong way. I also didn't have as much interest in Zelda, nor the other games. (*1)

The Fire Emblem came up from Melee, with Roy as a playable character. After reading stuff from Japan's Nintendo Dream magazine, there was also Lilina - who was another heroine not relying on the distressed damsel. (*2) I decided to try the game. GC and GBA games generally gave me the most disappointment/hate, but FE6 and FE8 (and for the matter Golden Sun 1 and Mother 1+2) were exceptions and were awesome games.

(*1) Zelda in Melee also initially rubbed me the wrong way. It was much later when I found out that Ocarina of Time started to downplay Zelda's distressed damsel role. After Twilight Princess actually made the dd role work and gave Zelda flaming!-Light-Arrows, all my hate for Zelda in SSB went out of the window.

(*2) At that time, of main females that didn't rely on the distressed damsel role, I only knew Misty and Kris from the Pokémon franchise. I only found out about Caeda around the same time as I found out about Binding Blade. Samus never interested me for some reason. I only played Mother 1+2, and found out about Paula/Ana much later on, after playing FE8.

Edited by henrymidfields

I heard about FE in Melee. And thankfully, I had enough sense to know that Marth and Roy didn't appear in the same game, nor most other games in the series. I also saw some Nintendo Power articles and earlygame guides for Sword of Sacred Fire, Sacred Stones, and Path of Radiance. I didn't get a game until Path of Radiance, though.

So, I told this story in my intro topic, but that was way too rambly and wordy so I'll condense it.

My elder brother got a GBA shortly after the DS came out (outside of an N64, my family had had virtually no exposure to videogames). My dad took it upon himself to look up several really good GBA games; one of those was Sacred Stones. Alex (my brother) got hooked, and 7 year old me spent many an afternoon watching him over his shoulder. The thing that pained me is that he always let characters die and was generally very foolish in playstyle; by the end of his SS run, he had only Eirika and Ephraim left, who were at capped level and made the game look even easier than Awakening. Then the Demon King one-shot Eirika and he rage-quit. He got and played through SD, but it didn't have quite as much of a presence as SS.

It wasn't until April 2012 that I got into the series myself. I was looking for a game that could keep me busy on the 4-day moving grip from Southwest Texas to the Philadelphia area. It was then that I remembered Fire Emblem, and got Shadow Dragon. I proceeded to play through the game half a dozen times over the summer, and basically broke it down to a science. I've played SS and Awakening since then, and aim to play FE7 before FE14 comes out.

Smash Bros. did it for me, but it took me awhile before Fire Emblem became my favorite game series.

However, it was my brother that suggested we buy it. He started playing it, and I got intrigued. Being only 11 years old, we struggled with how the game worked. Permadeath struck me hard. I began chapter 7 and was looking for Florina so I could fly over the mountains, but she fell in the previous chapter. Not seeing her in roster made me so angry, that I did not touch it for at least a year. I would try again one year later and make it all the way to Ch. 24 when Lloyd appeared. I got stuck on that chapter and couldn't progress. I left it again for another 6 months.

I came back to Fire Emblem the 3rd time, and I finally started to get it. I made it all the way through endgame whilst losing at least 3 or 4 units along the way, and I came to love the story and the strategy. I became hooked on getting through with my whole unit surviving. It was very good timing, cause that was about when Path of Radiance was coming out, and the rest is history. Ironically, my brother, who first got the game, hasn't touched it since.