Soleil Support Changed in NA/Europe Localization + Shara/Syalla Name Change

stahl_gaius_fan

Well, obviously judging by the thread so far I'm one of the minority anti-censorship purists, but I'm annoyed by the change. I'm not going to defend the actual quality of the support (because there's not much to be had) but removing things because people don't find them to be comfortable does really set a bad precedent, as several posters here show with renewed objections to Camilla's attire, for example. I doubt this alone will be enough to affect my purchasing of the game, but I've been pretty leery of NoA's localizations of late and this does little to reduce those fears. As it stands, I'll have to wait and see what all has been altered (hopefully very little...) once people have there hands on the product or we get more teaser reveals to decide if I want to vote with my wallet or not.

I understand where you're coming from. It's true that although changes like these bring up the chances for "where do we draw the line" (meaning everything and anything getting censored or removed because of people being offended--I mean look at what happened with Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. The company was too scared to even release it in America because of how we are sometimes). However, we can't just not strive towards making positive changes either. It's such a fine line that we walk with a lot of these choices between a chaotic, "everything goes" and an over-censored, PC "this little pebble offends me".

I, however, still stand by NoA decision to remove this plotline for the reasons I mentioned before.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone would've been pissed no matter what NoA did. I'm glad they went the "let's not have the character that's supposed to be a self-insert slipping weird shit into other people's food and getting away with it" route.

Soliel has the potential to be one of the best characters in FE. However, for her to truly reach that potential, she'd have to be written in a way that makes a lot of people angry. . .and I doubt NoA would want that. Perhaps I'll do this as a side project.

I'm glad that NoA decides to change the Solilei/Avatar supports and not include the controversial scene. The completely unfortunate implications of drugging someone as means of rape carries a lot of unfortunate implications. It's not just the "cure the gay" issue I'm concerned about, but the fact that a female character is drugged indicates that sexual advances on someone drugged is considered "funny" will definitely cause a lot of people being pissed off.

Even though I'm against censorship in video games, there are several lines that need to drawn.

Edited by Dark Paladin X

Rhajat? Yikes...that's worse than Niles for me.

Oh wow. I have to wonder how the other 2nd gen look-alikes will have their names localized... Cordelia and Gaius... English anagrams just don't give many good options.

As for the main topic, good riddance to the former M!Kamui and Soleil support. I wonder what tweaks NoA have probably made to Soleil's characterization in general, as well as other quirky characters like Eponine.

alright so i've at least been semi-okay with all the names so far but

rhajat?

really?

rhajat????

that's dumb and bad and sounds stupid

they really didn't have to keep the anagram thing it does not work with the english names

i won't be surprised if the other two are like

droileca and saigu

For the sake of fairness though, the Japanese names were also anagrams of their Awakening incarnations. Hell, all they did for Tharja 2.0 was swap one letter around, so at least NoA was sticking with the theme. It's just that the anagrams for English names are going to be a bit more obvious and cringe-worthy.

Edited by Phillius

Cordelia for Matoi is gonna be a disaster for anagrams. They're gonna stick out like a sore thumb in a cast on the route with Japanese inspired names.

Rhajat already sticks out like a sore thumb, given that she's Tsukuyomi's brat.

Also, Syalla/Shara has been localized as Rhajat...

When the 2nd generation Awakening expies are supposed to be from "fantasy Japan" and have Japanese-sounding names, this becomes a problem.

EDIT: I mean, on its own it actually doesn't sound too bad. But for a Hoshidan character? Please no, unless you can explain to me why the hell Tsukuyomi would call his daughter that.

Edited by Sunwoo

Wait, clipsey's an idiot, this isn't the "localization of everything" thread. Unless TC wants it to be that way. Which I'm not adverse to!

YIKES wow I'm usually pretty understanding of name changes but damn that's rough. Bless the Conquest Route, Niles is still sexy and believable. Pray for the poor souls who were excited about romancing "Rhajat" LMAO

There's nothing wrong with "Rhajat" as a name in itself. Rhajat (or "Rajat" as seems to be the more common form) is said to be a Hindi name … meaning it'd probably be used amongst people of Eastern Indian origin. The problem is that unless the Wind Tribe is changed to have a more Eastern Indian culture (which I would be fine with), Rhajat stands out for a character who is supposed to be of Hoshidan origin when all other Hoshidan characters have Japanese-sounding names. So if Tsukuyomi's name is changed to something more "Indian" I'm actually fine with Rhajat. If they don't and leave Tsukuyomi's name as more Japanese-sounding, well … localization, you done fucked up.

... Rhajat?...

First Corn and now Rhajat? I don't know what to say. Please tell me, what am I supposed to think. :( What is going on at NOA? We've got all these weird name changes and then there's the special edition shortages. I haven't even seen any Fire Emblem amiibo in any store so I'm assuming most people won't be able to access those characters. Why you do this NOA? ...Maybe I'll just stick to my import copy.

RIP Diacorel and Saigu

What Sunwoo said

Edited by SilverPants

There's nothing wrong with "Rhajat" as a name in itself. Rhajat (or "Rajat" as seems to be the more common form) is said to be a Hindi name … meaning it'd probably be used amongst people of Eastern Indian origin. The problem is that unless the Wind Tribe is changed to have a more Eastern Indian culture (which I would be fine with), Rhajat stands out for a character who is supposed to be of Hoshidan origin when all other Hoshidan characters have Japanese-sounding names. So if Tsukuyomi's name is changed to something more "Indian" I'm actually fine with Rhajat. If they don't and leave Tsukuyomi's name as more Japanese-sounding, well … localization, you done fucked up.

I was going to say the exact same thing. I'm absolutely fine with the name Rhajat; in fact, I think it sounds quite pretty, but unless Tsukuyomi and Fuuga's names (and the tribe's cultural references) are changed to fit, I call it a failure on the part of the localisation for this one.

It'll be quite strange if, like others have said, the names of Cordelia and Gaius prove too difficult to make anagrams out of so they... don't. Then we'd have 1/3 who actually follows the pattern, and if they don't change the Wind Tribe to match it, she'll stick out even more. Doesn't make much sense from any standpoint. Plus Grey actually has a reason in his supports to call himself so, unless they're planning to 8-4 it and change a lot of things just for the sake of their anagrams.

Edited by nordopolica

Real talk, the Eastern Indian Wind tribe thing actually sounds really interesting…

Not the worse name ever, now that I'm getting over my initial shock…just hoping it's the tribe case. That sounds really cool tbh.

Wouldn't it be asinine to change the "ethnicity" of an entire group just fo rename one character?

This. I'm still not that keen on the name Rhajat (to me it sounds like a guys name but I've never heard it before). However, I'm sure I'll get over it as I have with the other ones (minus the Joker to Jakob change. Still salty over that one).

They have to change Tsukuyomi's name to match which will be a shame cause I kinda like his name. A name change had to be coming for him anyway since Tsubaki was changed the Subaki. They'd probably use the same "Americans are too dumb for the Ts" logic with him.

I'm pretty sure Rajat is a guy's name. At least, when I looked it up on wikipedia I only got male results. That said, "Kjelle" is basically the masculine Norwegian name Kjell with an "e" attached to the end of it.

EDIT:

Wouldn't it be asinine to change the "ethnicity" of an entire group just fo rename one character?

Maybe. But at the same time, the entirety of Hoshido being "fantasy Japan" can get a little boring. Where's fantasy Korea? Or fantasy China?

Edited by Sunwoo