Favorite/Least Favorite 2nd Gen Character

The DanMan

240 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite 2nd Generation Character

2. 2. Least Favorite 2nd Generation Character

Her being a girl is irrelevant--it would have been bad if she were a boy, girl, dog, alien or sandwich. The fact that they gave Soliel the same gimmick as her dad in the first place was a red flag. Laslow was pushing it in his supports as much as I like Liam O'Brian's voice him; Selena even calls him out on it. Now, taking that into account, why would the writers continue to make that gimmick the center of several supports? Why would they give that same gimmick to another character? You have characters calling out the behavior, indicating that you, the writer, recognizes that something is up.

Like I said, the sooner IS learns how to write a cast of characters that does not rely on fan-favorites and nostalgia to support them, the better off they will be.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, first of all, it's possible to point that out without being rude. Since you have chosen to do otherwise, you're gonna have to forgive me if I don't feel inclined to be very polite

Second of all, since 8th Grade English is apparently beyond you;

http://bfy.tw/932

Third of all, the C and B Support isn't just bad, it's literally sexual harassment played for laughs (because they're both girls! LOLkek!) and depending on how you interpret the B-support, what Soleil was going to do after the body-swap could possibly classify as rape (if you think she's gonna go rub one out as opposed to just 'admire' the body). The fact that Ophelia winds up driven to tears by the harassment makes it even worse, especially considering that she makes it clear in the C-Support that a) she isn't interested b) she's stated that she isn't interested multiple times in the past and c) that Soleil has ignored Ophelia and continued to flirt regardless of how upset/uncomfortable it makes her. This is easily a contender for one of, if not the worst supports in the entire franchise and while people can like it (that's their opinion), I'm gonna be wondering if they were reading the same support that I was.

Fair enough, I accept the retorted rudeness. However, you can't pretend that your supposed hyperbole wasn't both preemptively rude and also not remotely apparent AS hyperbole-- you said nothing to indicate that you were exaggerating or kidding even a little bit. I accept that that's what you meant retroactively, but understand how that comes across when you phrase it like that.

That aside, I pretty much agree with you about the C-B supports themselves. All I was getting at is that the A-support isn't that bad, but yeah, I agree about those for the most part.

Edited by BANRYU

That aside, I pretty much agree with you about the C-B supports themselves. All I was getting at is that the A-support isn't that bad, but yeah, I agree about those for the most part.

The A-support doesn't even BEGIN to make up for the shit that is the C and B supports. In real life, most people would NOT have forgiven Soleil or someone who pulled the same shit that she has, especially since it's stated Ophelia has told Soleil repeatedly to stop. Soleil does not deserve a pass. At all. For any reason.

The A-support doesn't even BEGIN to make up for the shit that is the C and B supports. In real life, most people would NOT have forgiven Soleil or someone who pulled the same shit that she has, especially since it's stated Ophelia has told Soleil repeatedly to stop. Soleil does not deserve a pass. At all. For any reason.

I agree. I hoped that English Soleil would have some redeeming factors since I didn't really like the Japanese version of her all too much. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Fair enough, I accept the retorted rudeness. However, you can't pretend that your supposed hyperbole wasn't both preemptively rude and also not remotely apparent AS hyperbole-- you said nothing to indicate that you were exaggerating or kidding even a little bit. I accept that that's what you meant retroactively, but understand how that comes across when you phrase it like that.

I'll pay that. I don't regret what I said, but I should've been mindful of how such things don't carry well over the internet.

Caeldori, definitely my favorite.

She has one of the few S supports that actually shows a love interest in (M) Avatar; e.g. she confesses to you. Plus, Cordelia was a favorite.

Caeldori also has the idiosyncrasy of "being most likely to fall head-over-heels in love."

So, she's cool in my book any day.

As far as least favorite... I don't think I have one.

I'm more resentful of the fact that I have to pair a good first generation parent with a terrible/mediocre one to obtain these characters. It was a novel idea for Awakening (Cordelia and Awakening's "twist" actually conjured images of Steins;Gate for me), but this time around these characters should have just been uniquely paralogue/side chapter individuals.

Second the 2nd gen characters aren't as good as the first gen ones but there are some cool kids. I'd say my favorites are Velouria, Soliel, Selkie, Forrest and Ophelia. Maybe Nina too but I didn't get to know her that well yet (Although that's sorta true with all of the 2nd gen units.)

My least favorites are Asugi (the most pointless character in this whole game. Seriously why is he here?), Shiro (because he's such a idiot. His behavior on his recruit chapter makes it very hard to like him. How can you possibly be so stupid as to run into certain death?), Kana (Does absolutely nothing but pine over his mother the whole time. It gets really annoying.), and Rhajat (another pointless character. I liked Tharja but Rhajat is just... bad. (And we didn't need another Tharja anyway))

Edited by Fircoal

I actually like most of the 2nd gen characters and I had serious trouble picking a favorite, but here goes.

I voted Nina for favorite. Now this is a character that surprised me. Given her trait I was quite ready to hate her, but surprisingly enough I felt she was executed nicely enough that I didn't feel anything offensive about her. The only time she goes a bit out of my confort zone is in her supports with Dwyer, but I enjoyed several of her supports especially Velouria, Forrest and Shiro. I also LOVE her design (easily one of my favorites in the whole series) and her voice (Laura Bailey? Nina is one of the characters whose voice is still unaccounted for), so to me, Nina gets my vote for best.

Honorable mentions to Ophelia, Rhajat, Velouria, Forrest, Shiro, Kiragi, Selkie and Mitama.

The only 2nd gen character I think is worth of getting voted worst is Hisame, mainly because there's nothing about this character that I feel stands out. He basically screams generic on all fronts, and he isn't even much of a jerk for me to hate him. I'm just completely apathetic towards this character, often forgetting he even exists.

I voted for Forrest, he's a breath of fresh air in this game and I love his confidence.

However, it's really a toss-up between him, Shiro, Kiragi and Hisame for absolute favourite. Shiro and Kiragi for being fun-loving balls of sunshine. Hisame because I can probably empathise most with his character. Also, my daughter is a pickle fanatic, too, so his pickle obsession doesn't turn me off. I find it hilarious. Hisame and my daughter would be best friends.

Least favourite is Soleil for reasons everyone else has already listed.

I'll pay that. I don't regret what I said, but I should've been mindful of how such things don't carry well over the internet.

Yeah dude that's all I ask, I'm not begrudging you your opinion. Glad we could reach an agreement.

Siegbert turned out to be my favourite of the second gens. I like his design, he's nice, well spoken, reasonably intelligent and his insecurity isn't played as a gag, but is instead used as an actual personality with him having trouble being the prince he thinks people expect him to be.

Shiro's probably me second favourite. nice as well and like Siegbert his personality isn't really a gag or a gimmick.

Kiragi is also a character I like mostly because's he's just so cheerfull.

Least favourite would probably be Soleil for the reasons most mentioned.

I thought I would dislike Nina and name her, but some of her supports where she's not a creepy stalker are actually not that bad. I liked her support with Shiro, where it was just the two of them bonding over liking a thing for different reasons. Nina for the subtext and Shiro for the action.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after seeing all the complaints people had about Soleil, I took it upon myself to read her supports.

The main problem is that her bad supports are really bad. I've made it clear in other threads my opinion on Ophelia and Soleil (C and B Support suck, A support is good), but the bigger issue is her supports with her mother, since this is one of the first supports you unlock for her and it makes up a good chunk of her total supports. These supports are really, really awkward to read.

That being said, I feel like people aren't seeing past her main quark, which is understandable, seeing how it does play a major part in the previously mentioned supports. After reading her supports, I found that there was a bigger part of her character that the game doesn't mention, her insecurity. In most of her supports, she tries to emulate her father, whether it be dancing or singing, but she's terrible at it, which hurts her.

To my surprise, none of Soleil's other supports with the girls come anywhere close to the level of harassment that is her and Ophelia's support. In fact, those supports are pretty good. In Soleil and Mitama, Soleil gets Mitama to teacher her how to write poetry so she can improve her sense of rhythm. Soleil and Sophie does what Soleil and Ophelia should have done. Sure, it does revolve around her main quark, but it's handled much better here. There's no actual harassment and the two bond in a natural way. Seriously, this is a major upgrade.

Her support with Nina is... a thing. It's not flat out offensive, but it's not good either.

Her supports with men revolve around two main categories, Soleil seeking advice and Soleil giving advice. None of these supports are bad. In fact, I couldn't find a single bad support from these. The only one that was kind of awkward was Soleil and Kiragi, where the S was clearly meant to be romantic, but comes off as just awkward. But other then that I liked these supports.

Anyway, after doing this, I'm tempted to put her as my favorite child character. I'm not going to yet.

What Soleil does to her mother and to Ophelia in the C and B supports is bad ENOUGH to turn some people off from her entirely. If it's not enough for you, that's your opinion. But she's just completely awful and out of bounds with her mother and Ophelia, and sometimes no amount of "sorry" is going to make up for that. Even if Soleil has other good supports, making Ophelia cry with how much she's harassing her is enough for me to draw the line. And I don't even like Ophelia very much.

Edited by Sunwoo

What Soleil does to her mother and to Ophelia in the C and B supports is bad ENOUGH to turn some people off from her entirely. If it's not enough for you, that's your opinion. But she's just completely awful and out of bounds with her mother and Ophelia, and sometimes no amount of "sorry" is going to make up for that. Even if Soleil has other good supports, making Ophelia cry with how much she's harassing her is enough for me to draw the line. And I don't even like Ophelia very much.

Would I be a bad person if I thought Ophelia and Soleil's b support was a bit funny?

But yeah, those supports as a whole were pretty awkward. Did she at least apologize later?

Would I be a bad person if I thought Ophelia and Soleil's b support was a bit funny?

But yeah, those supports as a whole were pretty awkward. Did she at least apologize later?

she does. some people still won't "forgive" soleil for that though, which I can't blame them for because that support is quite jarring imo.

Edited by darkestdarkness

She does, but it's considered too little too late, considering that it takes Ophelia being driven to tears for her to realise 'hmm, maybe I did bad here'.

Her chain with Ignatius is also horrible. She really comes across like a potential rapist in some of her supports.

Which, if you think about it, is rather ironic.

Edited by Dark Sage

I think that Soliel's final quirk is forgotten - randomly undressing. It seems like it doesn't fit, but it tells me that she's really, REALLY bad with social cues. So while I think that her bad supports are bad on principle, that final thing I mentioned sort-of explains why it gets that bad.

Her chain with Ignatius is also horrible. She really comes across like a potential rapist in some of her supports.

Which, if you think about it, is rather ironic.

Umm... what? Please explain this to me, as I did not get this from their support at all.

Edit: Okay, I see stalking. Not really seeing the rapist part here.

I think that Soliel's final quirk is forgotten - randomly undressing. It seems like it doesn't fit, but it tells me that she's really, REALLY bad with social cues. So while I think that her bad supports are bad on principle, that final thing I mentioned sort-of explains why it gets that bad.

That quirk really doesn't come into play that often. It's really only mentioned in her supports with Dwyer.

Also coming soon: Hunter Nightblood reads and attempts to analyze the supports of characters most people hate: Rhajat edition

Edited by Hunter Nightblood

That quirk really doesn't come into play that often. It's really only mentioned in her supports with Dwyer.

. . .and female Corrin support. . .and at least one other place (don't remember if it's an event tile, a My Castle event, or a reclass).

Edited by eclipse

. . .and female Corrin support. . .and at least one other place (don't remember if it's an event tile, a My Castle event, or a reclass).

Oh yeah, forgot about that. That being said, for a trait that is listed on her character profile, you would think it would show up in more of her supports.

Huh. So I guess I'm one person out of... one when I say I adore Selkie and Female Kana.

Here me out. Selkie is a one note character? Sure, she's all about play. But that is exactly why I like her. The ability to always have fun is something not a lot of people can say they have, and these people specifically are in the middle of a big war. And then you have Selkie, who does battle in her paralogue under the pretense that they are playing a game. A lot of the things she does are adorable (Kana X Selkie) and feel fun just in essence of her being there. She even somehow makes taking medicine into some sort of weird game for Midori. Still don't really get that, but okay.

One note character strikes the right note with me.

And Kana... Kana is energetic with childhood innocence. A lot of the things she does make me wish she were my own kid, which really makes no sense because I never want to have kids in the first place. Maybe it's how much she adores her father, which no it isn't. I never really cared much for avatar adoretion. Maybe it's how much she feels genuinely caring, which might make sense since she is still a kid. Could it possibly be in the fact that she is plain cute in many of the things she does? Probably.

And once again, I'm one of... one person who doesn't like Shiro. Maybe it's how he went to commit suicide in his paralogue, but the way he addresses Ryoma when he catches up to Shiro strikes me as rude, especially in how he seemed to hold it against Ryoma even after the paralogue. Plus, it felt like he had no honor, only being a Spear Fighter to beat his dad because weapon triangle lol. I don't even know if he actually likes using the naginata, but he struck wrong cords with me at the start and now I don't like him. Which is a shame, because I gave him Setsuna for a mother, a character I find very entertaining...

...I'm one of one person in this whole "fave 2nd gen character" discussion aren't I?

Edited by Xenomata