Who do you think is the best character in Fates?(excluding DLC, amiibo and player)

EhtishamEX

Character: Leo, the most level-headed of the Nohrian siblings, interesting supports, feels like an actual person, has good story presence

Unit: Camilla, she's indispensable in Conquest and joins early in chapter 10. While Ryoma and arguably Xander are more broken, Ryoma is in an already easy route and Xander joins later.

Character-wise: Takumi, Hinata and Oboro.

Unit-wise: I can't say much for Conquest-exclusive characters and Fuga since I don't have their routes, but in Birthright, Ryoma all the way. Takumi and Rinka come close, but I think I might have gotten lucky with the RNG on the latter.

Ok, so I'm busy farming supports and I haven't unlocked most of the child units, but here are my thoughts at the moment. Also, for the sake of brevity, I'll have to go for my absolute favorite characters, which is already extensive.

As characters: Silas, Oboro, Hana, Orochi, Yukimura, Xander, Nyx, Flora.

And I still feel like I should add a handful more... Anyway, as a rule of thumb, I prefer the Nohrian royal siblings and the Hoshidan non-royals, if I could rate all characters.

As units: Camilla, Xander, Ryoma, Leo.

But the best unit I've had so far is Takumi. Hate him as I may, he is death incarnate. Literally! See what I did there?

I think it's brilliant. Both of 'em aren't known for going up to a stranger and chatting him/her up in a friendly manner.

The B support acts like they did converse before though, so it really doesn't read well.

And also they're not that kind of stoic. Or rather, Saizo isn't. He's stoic in the sense that he has a prickly outer shell, not the "..." kind of stoic.

You also lose some really important characterization for the two of them for either the sake of a bad joke ("it's funny because they're stoic lol") or because of the incompetence of the localizers.

The B support acts like they did converse before though, so it really doesn't read well.

And also they're not that kind of stoic. Or rather, Saizo isn't. He's stoic in the sense that he has a prickly outer shell, not the "..." kind of stoic.

You also lose some really important characterization for the two of them for either the sake of a bad joke ("it's funny because they're stoic lol") or because of the incompetence of the localizers.

I assume there's some interaction between supports, not just four conversations that result in marriage. Fates may not go down as a literary classic, but I'm positive that such a scenario is unrealistic even for that setting.

Saizo isn't a trusting guy - his C support with Corrin should be more than enough proof. He also holds grudges (see: Kotaro). So, I wouldn't expect him to be chatty to some Nohrian, especially one with a past like Beruka's. He knows of her past by the B support, but it's possible that he learned of it before the C support.

I don't need a lot of words for characterization. I think Shadow Dragon had the perfect amount of character development for just about everyone. That includes those units that only have a death quote. The only person whose SD death quote doesn't do his personality justice, IMO, is Tomas. Thus, a single support that's essentially a staring contest with facial expressions tells me enough about both of them.

. . .dammit, now this makes me wish that Saizo's Nohrian A+ was with Niles. . .

Character wise: Arthur, Hinata, Saizo, Niles. I find them all great and entertaining

Unit wise: Xander is my go-to crutch in Conquest, Corrin is great everywhere, Camilla is great in both Conquest and Revelation.

Ryoma is broken enough that I restrict myself from using him. I'd restrict Xander and Camilla too but I can't imagine doing Conquest without them.

Unit-wise: I can't say much for Conquest-exclusive characters and Fuga since I don't have their routes, but in Birthright, Ryoma all the way. Takumi and Rinka come close, but I think I might have gotten lucky with the RNG on the latter.

Tbh Rinkah is a lot better than people give her credit for. Most people just don't know what to do with her and have wrong expectations.

Anyway, Ryoma for both. I love it when my favorite character also effortlessly destroys basically every map he exists in.

Edited by Thor Odinson

There are so many fantastic characters... I'm on my fourth playthrough and my opinion of all of them improves each time (barring a couple of exceptions). But overall I think Takumi edges into first place. He's just incredibly well-rounded and well-written.

Unit-wise... Probably Ryoma, or Keaton.

Oh man, this could go in several directions by '-wise' wording.

*Character-wise for being the most fluid and well-written in-game by their personality and character development: Tied between Takumi and Xander, no one is changing my mind, seeing two most unlikely agreeable characters end up placing their trust in your is something that you shouldn't forget (although Xander only really does trust in your in RV while Takumi believes in you in BR and RV).

*Best character unit-wise (first gen only)..

**For stall-and-wall: That goes to Leo, man, after I had him marry Sakura to get Renewal on top of getting Lifetaker from his base class selection makes him one crazy healing wall that enemies can't KO without trying to team up against him even as a Dark Knight. Plus while his HP growths are lower than Xander's, he has equally high Def/Res growths which gives him an edge over Xander defensively while retaining excellent offensive growths in Str/Mag and on an equal basis, Xander's Def is only higher due to Siegfried's boost (Leo is also faster than Xander which is another plus). Running my Leo with Renewal and Lifetaker (being a great HP regenerating wall is wonderful), Ignis/Rend Heaven (physical and magical walls struggle to survive), Pavise and Aegis (reduces pressure from a weapon weakness/disadvantage or weapon range) snapped the game's difficulty in half again, which was only rivaled when Takumi joined in.

**For the best unit in terms of obliterating opposition by going all-out:

->Ryoma would be good, if only his Lck/Def growths were better in-game without needing to reclass to a more defensive class.
->Subaki, funnily would be one of my best aerial-units if his Spd growth was better (really...at 20/20 as a Kinshi Knight you have maxed Str, Skl, and Def with you being just 5-6 points short of max HP/Lck/Res but your Spd stat is at a pretty low 23 to where I fear your demise at simple Paladins.) He's a stronger and more accurate yet slower version of Hinoka as a Falcon Knight/Kinshi Knight.
->Camilla however (bar Takumi and Oboro who I'll mention later), is one wallbreaking unit that I can't understand. Having all her growths being either great or excellent (minus her HP/Lck which are either average or below-average), she can deal with physically defensive tanks (Generals) with magic or rather bulky magical tanks (Sorcerers/Strategists/Great Master/Paladin) with physical attacks. Most magical-only units rarely escape a 2-HKO from her when she's using a basic Silver Axe that isn't smithed in PvE.
->Oboro, who I mentioned (and love for her overall outstanding performance), is my best Lancer/Spear Master in-game. First off, sure being locked to lances is a pain (hello Berserkers...), but when your growths are equally high and your class max stats are just as high, you are one tanker and attacker. She's easily competing for my top MVP for 1st gen non-Kamui units in-game especially in RV Chapter 16/17 where due to my tactics, I had her charge Iago. By the time she reached him, one attack from him would fell her. She OHKO crit-killed him the moment they started to fight.
->Takumi: Well getting him is a blessing when he can easily KO non-Generals with ease. He's bested out by his retainer Oboro but he's still being very competent as an attacker. I only wish that Fujin Yumi had a bonus of allowing him to travel across any land terrain, including those that only enemies can move across (such as the Mist in Boo Camp).

Character wise, since I started using her, I've found Orochi to actually be quite interesting overall.

Unit wise is Ryoma haha, he destroys pretty much everything in sight.

character wise: Arthur, followed by Laslow

unit-wise: Dependent on route

Birthright: Ryouma, no doubt

Conquest: Ophelia

Revelation: Corrin/Takumi

Ooh, since i like Corrin and I can't say that, I'd go with...

Conquest: Beruka. Effie comes second.

Birthright: Setsuna. I also love Hana's design. (Also, Hayato > Ricken, in my opinion, so he gets an honorable mention.)

All Routes: Jakob, If only for his supports with Kagero.

I don't understand anything more technical than rock/paper/scissors, so I can't say, unit-wise... I just go with best design/personality.