Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

I like both characters, actually. Though Sumia's "gimmick" does get old after a while, I like their personalities, determination and strength. And who else is going to punch Chrom in the face?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh dear protect sumia

Flavia

GOD I WISH THEY HAD GIVEN YOU MORE CHARACTERIZATION FOR THAT VOICE AND DESIGN.

Sumia

I certainly don't hate her. Her gimmick does wear out after a while, but I do admit I relate to her relative shyness with other people. I don't hate her with Chrom either, I just tend to prefer Olivia with Chrom because I like Inigo as a prince. I never got the Sumia hate that people gave her though. She's a sweet girl who just... happened to be shown off with Chrom. So? I really don't get the hate surrounding her on that end.

Sumia

I would like her more if her supports weren't limited to Chrom-noms, the three dudes that can support him and Henry, your last chance at getting Cynthia. She should have been able to support Stahl, dammit—they would have been perfect for each other! But, alas, it was not meant to be.

At any rate, I like Sumia's design. I did find her somewhat annoying, though, outside of her limited support pool.

Flavia

She's cool. She should have had more supports—like with Vaike and Sully—and more presence through out the story.

Ver- I mean Flavia!

Flavia's really awesome, she just suffers from lack of support and backstory really, and as a unit she also suffers from coming in pretty late.

I still want to use her though.

"Notice me senPIE" - Sumia

Chrom and Sumia support aside, I kinda relate to Sumia's self-loathing attitude and general clumsyness, for better or for worse. She's a character I really enjoy using too.

Today's characters are Flavia and Sumia, what is your opinion on those characters.

Flavia:

I like her! She's a pretty cool character, and one of the few that doesn't really rely on a single gimmick. She could use a little more characterization, though. She needs more supports.

Sumia:

She's fine. My opinions of her are kinda similar to my opinions on Lissa. She's fine as a character with some nice supports. As a unit, she's one of my favorites, but then again flying units fare very well in Awakening, so...

Flavia

Standard tough girl character. There's not really much to her beyond that.

Sumia

Welp, I'm a sucker for cute as long as it's not too much in your face, and Sumia strikes a nice balance. She's effectively a more nuanced Felicia. Lovely voice, great unit and in spite of being gimmicky and having a bad support with Chrom, I like her.

Flavia: She REALLY needed more supports. I guess she'd work as decent filler at the end, but I never really trained her.

Sumia: First off, her C support with F!Robin was beyond awful (it makes her either look hungry for approval or psychotic, neither of which are redeeming characteristics), and for that, I can't list her as a favorite. IMO my favorite moment with her is in Chapter 13 when Chrom married Maribelle. As a unit, I could never turn her into an offensive monster - she'd either die in one hit or do no damage. Sometimes both.

Flavia:

Flavia is one of my favourite late game units, and while she's not the strongest she does have some good supports (M and F!Robin as well as Basilio) although she could have done with more supports and character development aside, I like her design quite a lot. I have found her to be a good unit overall and her VA is amazing :XD:

Sumia:

The same however can not be said of Sumia I'm afraid, I dislike both her english and japanese voices and her gimmick really ticks me off to no end. Couple that with how frail she is and the lack of diverse supports and you have my most least used and often benched units, save for a certain other unit. I guess the only real redeeming quality is that Sumia looks ok...as long as she doesn't say anything and doesn't move.

Edited by TheSilentChloey

Flavia

• I forgot you existed (sorry)
  • although, I do like ya

Sumia

• don't dislike you, but I don't like you either
  • I loved when you punched Chrom... that was beautiful
  • thank you for gifting us with your daughter
  • Cynthia is a great unit
Edited by ♯Jin

Inverse

What even. Like, I'm not usually the condescending type on character tropes in Awakening, but we don't really care about her that much when her tragic backstory comes up. I do like her JP voicing though.

Liz

Tomboy feel is completely non-existent in JP version.

Good.

She seems more of a princess that way.

(Keep note that individuality isn't a big JP value)

Flavia

I don't really have any strong opinions either way.

I like her strong character in that you shouldn't misjudge her.

Because she can kick your ass.

I remember Lumi likes her.

Sumia

The most hated Pegasus Knight from the fanbase, it seems.

I love some of the comment screenshots I've taken over the years.

If Marth was able to be married in FE12, Caeda would have the same situation as her.

The whole gender roles thing in either support versions (especially Chrom) I think is something people gasp for straws to get at her.

I like her quiet, gentle personality.

Despite the tropes, she chose to take those gender roles in her limited supports, not being forced into them.

Genuinely wanting to help.

As a unit, her class is obviously lacking on DEF, but she is nowhere near as frail as say... Donny.

Her high avoid pretty much lets her close any gap that is present in the party at join time.

Oh hell, join time... it's great.

And the fact that she punched Chrom being a meme.

Couple that with how frail she is and the lack of diverse supports and you have my most least used and often benched units, save for a certain other unit. I guess the only real redeeming quality is that Sumia looks ok...as long as she doesn't say anything and doesn't move.

I hope you're not trying to tie in your personal opinion and stereotypical bias to evaluate her as a unit.

Because she is considered by the community to be one of the best units in the game because she has the uncontested best availability to get galeforce.

And your "frail" statement seems to only take her DEF into account when Chrom gives her a SPD pair up that pretty much dodges a lot of the lances on her join chapter if you're not playing Lunatic.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Flavia - Again, she exists. At least she's not as closely related to a massive asspull as her Western counterpart. She doesn't annoy me but she's also really boring. She also joins way too late for me to seriously want to use her.

Sumia - ...is too focused on clumsiness. She's a good unit, if you're lucky, but FE13 is a game where pegasi have an innate advantage over not pegasi because Galeforce. She also has less husband options, while this is normally not a problem due to the lack of children, you can make Cynthia lost forever by complete accident (I almost did).

Sumia (AKA the girl who always says something's amazing)

This chick was the first gal I ever married to my avatar, sort of because I felt guilty after the first support (I was a sucker back then, what can I say?). Then one thing led to another...

Anyway, she has a fairly... "vanilla" design compared to the presumed love interests of the lords throughout the series. Lack of male supports is a reasonable concern when you figure that there are other men who she might click well with. It's funny, because she's one of the more gimmicky characters in this game, but compared to some of the stuff seen in Fates, she seems so tame. And people apparently say she's submitting to gender roles, which... I mean, by the very nature of her being in the military (and not being some dingy damsel in distress at any point in the game), she's opposing the more negative roles that typically are imposed upon women in media. Though then again, I'm not one to focus too much on negative things.

She's alright. She doesn't really deserve much hate, but at the same time, she isn't very praiseworthy. Although I, too, appreciated her just punching Chrom in the face. Out of nowhere, just... BAM! And it wasn't even supposed to be a punch!

Flavia

Does anyone really love the tale of the characters who lack supports? 'Cuz I sure don't, and Flavia and the others were the start of it for me.

I don't have a real opinion on her. She's just one of those brave warrior types who cares for her comrades. Aside from that, there's not much to tell.

Flavia - It's a shame. She doesn't show up very much but she could have potentially been a romance support with Chrom. I'm not saying she should but she did have some chemistry with him if she and Chrom both team up for tournaments and such. She's at least who I want to be.

Sumia - Oh God. Sumia. She has nice hair and such and one of the few non-royals outside of maybe Frederick to be in a CG-animated cutscene. People seem to force her relationship with Chrom and while I do like Lucina and Cynthia as sisters, it is kind of creepy. It's much like the forced CorrinXAzura. Difference is, Corrin is your self insert and Chrom is not. So I guess Sumia has a point above Azura in that sense? Also pies? Really?

Flavia is likable enough, but without a proper support pool and being available so late. . . eh. There's not much to say about her other than she's a'ight. I kinda like her design? Even though I hate everything about the bottom half of female Hero's armor.

I find Sumia aggressively boring. She's not a bad unit but she's about as interesting as a sheet of paper with "trips", "Horsies" and "pies" written on it. Also, she has the most annoying kid. (Though I know that's not a particularly common opinion) Her design is pretty nice, though.

Flavia

Well, she risks her countries relationship with his neighbours by tricking the prince of Ylisse into a battle to the death in order to claim power. So she is a piece of shit. Unless of course Basillo would not have lifted the finger to protect his people from the Plegians should he have won. But that seems rather unlikely to me. Either way, at least one of the two has to be a corrupt piece of shit. Fortunately she is a lot better as a unit then as a person.

Sumia

One of the few members of the Shepherds who is not a bloodthirsty psychopath. Well, at least until an undefined point in the future where she "went into a blood frenzy and downed friend and foe alike!" Which her daughter considers something to aspire to because... well, because Cynthia is a bloodthirsty psychopath I guess. Still, that's fortunately not the kind of person that Sumia is during the actual game, so despite her being all kinds of annoying, she is kinda my favourite character by default. She is surprisingly competent as a unit too. Early game fliers are always great, especially when they can absorb other units to raise their power.

Edited by BrightBow

Flavia: Like so many others, Flavia suffers from her lack of support options, and as BrightBow pointed out, has questionable morals, shown by her effectively blackmailing a high-ranking foreigner into a death tournament that, if he wins, makes her the ruler of her people (Geez, it's the Amarr succession trials all over again...). As a unit, she joined too late and I already has several superior heroes by that point, making her addition to the roster kinda pointless.

Sumia: A competent early flier unit which proved to be highly useful in many situations over the course of the game for me. As for her personality, yeah she is basically railroaded into a relationship with Chrom and their supports are a bit sub-par, but all well. I thought they looked fine together. Her support with Robin was also quite sweet. Sumia also isn't the best at figuring out social situations I have noticed, what between the Chrom punching and trying to give Gaius a bunch of bee larva (puking noise). Not going to lie though, compared to many other units, both characters and generics, Sumia's design is quite... bland if you ask me.

#1: Walhart

One of the most over the top villains in the series. Love his voice, design, battle theme and the paralogue where you recruit him. Kind of wished there was a side to him where he was more pragmatic and didn't really on Excellsus's advice.

#2: Lucina

She's cool. Don't see how she's waifu material though. Her true husband is Gerome and she is a prototype Ryoma when she becomes a swordmaster. Love Laura Bailey, but some of her lines makes me think I'm listening to a character from Fairy Tail.

#3: Aversa

Still a better fanservice character than Camilla. Kind of liked how she went psycho when Validar died. Her recruitment chapter is unique but nothing special,

#4: Lissa

I really like her, her interactions with Chrom actually look like typical brother/sister conversations. Good healer, but man she sucks at fighting. Maribelle is where it's at.

#5: Flavia

She reminds me of inferior version of Scarlet. Not in a bad way, she is fun and badass, but lacks more charm.

#6: Sumia

I don't see the hate with this character. OK her S Support of the heavily forced ship with Chrom is bad, but really, just marry him with someone else, no biggy (make sure it's Olivia). Maybe be I'm biased because I have Dyspraxia so I can relate to her trying to be less clumsy in the working environment. Speed demon, fun lines and design. She's not the best pegasus knight but not the worst.

Who want more Gregor? We all do!

Gregor is just really fun. While he is a Russian stereotype, he has an interesting backstory, tons of amazing supports, and is a decent unit to boot!

Peri. I mean Henry. Peri as a Dark Mage, or Henry on a horse?

Comparisons to Peri aside, Henry has a lot going for him. Puns, good supports, and even direct ties to some of the bosses fought throughout the first Arc of the story! Shame his bloodlust turns some people away from him.

Today's characters are Gregor and Henry, what is your opinion on those characters?

Gregor:

After Lucina, Gregor is my favorite character in Awakening! He's a great character with good dialogue, his supports are some of the best in the game, and he's just plain awesome! As a unit, he's not the best, but not the worst. There are definitely others I prefer over him, but I use him anyway because of bias...and he's still good, so it's okay! I like Gregor, I like him a lot.

Henry:

I do not like Henry. He's one of my least-favorite characters in the game. The guy is just a psychopath, plain and simple! He has maybe one or two good supports that flesh him out a little, and I will say that some of his ties to some of the bosses are kinda cool, but he's still a crazy psychopath that should never be allowed near society.

Henry:

I do not like Henry. He's one of my least-favorite characters in the game. The guy is just a psychopath, plain and simple! He has maybe one or two good supports that flesh him out a little, and I will say that some of his ties to some of the bosses are kinda cool, but he's still a crazy psychopath that should never be allowed near society.

okay but Henry is one thing and Peri is another.

Henry can be really friendly and usually only has his bloodlust on his enemies.

Gregor

I like how down to earth he is. I appreciate how people often see him as... well... not as smart, but it turns out he's pretty intelligent. His support with Miriel is a good representation of it. He's a pretty swood dude.

Henry

Him I like, especially compared to Peri. I'm not saying that I approve of his murderlust, I don't, but he at least seems more affable and, to a point, has standards compared to her. I actually really like his supports with Cherche, Nowi, and Sumia. I did marry him on a run and, to my surprise, he and Morgan both had that cute closed eyed happy smile thing going on. Got a good chuckle out of it.

Did you just make a Jontron reference while referring to Gregor?

This is the most amazing post alive.

A lady never gives away her secrets.

it just felt so right to say