Opinions on that Fire Emblem Awakening Character #1 - #51 (Chrom & Robin & Grima)

RoyLKing

Frederick:

Daisuke Ono did an amazing job as his VA. Really spot on for the character personality of being a retainer for the lord.

As a unit: You won't be beating Lunatic Prologue without this guy. Unless the RNG goddess favors you heavily. He isn't a Jeigan, but can have some trouble keeping up due to his reduced EXP gain.

However if you want to use him, he is more than viable.

Serge:

Kinda don't know how to describe it. Her "wife-like" hobbies and personality is attractive, but also feels a little too... rooted in Japanese stereotypes? Especially Viole/Virion's comment about the age of marriagability passing or something. That definitely jumps out as that period in the early to late 30s of women in Japanese culture.

As a unit, high str wyverns are always good. But it feels off that if you're going vanilla (without reclassing), her being your only option sans marrying her off to get her son is a little... hindering? Especially since she has no offensive skills and can be outclassed outright by a reclassed Velvet/Panne by at least 5 chapters earlier.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cherche - ...Exists? What few supports of hers I read annoyed me (you like the wyvern, I get it), but I don't think I read enough to fully judge her. As a unit... Pegasi > Wyverns in FE13. She gets pretty much nothing from her alts aside from Renewal I guess (Cleric and Troubadour? Seriously? That's just redundant) since her magic is crap, and her midgame jointime impedes her. She's got nice Str though.

Fred - ...Exists. I didn't really pay any attention to him since I like to self-imposed challenge by not using the Jagan/Oifey in various games unless I absolutely MUST (I got through the beginning Ch1-8x of FE6 Hard with Marcus stripped down, so). I will say that it's nice that he passes down Pavgis, making him a good father for a defensive unit.

My posting time will be around this time now.

Today's characters are Cherche and Fredrick, opinion on those people?

Cherche:

She's pretty cool, I like a lot of her supports. Especially her supports with Lon'qu and Gregor! Her design is pretty good, but not my favorite. As a unit, there are some others I prefer over her, I honestly think she's probably the worst flyer. But, she's still good enough, I suppose.

Frederick:

I don't like him as much as his counterparts in other games in the series, such as Seth, but I still like him well enough. He's got some nice supports. I don't use him much as a unit, but he's not the worst. He can be useful in the early chapters!

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Cherche:

She's Cherche and that's okay. Not the best character by any means but pretty decent.

Frederik:

I just love how the big, serious and distrustful butler guy is actually one of the sillier characters. The dissonance between his role and his obsessive attention to his butlerly duties never stops to amuse.

Cherche

Never understood the love she gets. I don't really get the weird armor design coupled with a dress that exposes her back, and her only real trait (or gimmick) other than being "raised on simple values" is that she's got a wyvern and finds things to be cute that most people find disgusting or scary. I mean, she's not offensive or anything, I just don't see the appeal. I also dislike Gerome, so that hurts her indirectly and makes me less likely to use her in a playthrough.

I guess she's got a nice support with Lon'qu and Gregor though.

Frederick

I rather like him. It's not like this kind of character is anything new, but I think they pulled it off well enough. He has some seriously funny lines and I'm a fan of the design which really captures the "knight butler" thing they've got going on - the dude's got a suit underneath!

So can someone remind me how to pronounce Cherche? I always forget...

Cherche is really adorable. As a character, she's almost a female Gregor in a sense, being a bit older than the other units and having a lot of experience. She likes to tease people too. Her supports also reveal a bit about Valm's state before Walhart started his conquest, as well as Cherche's background.

As a unit, she's a massive tank with high movement, as well as a great offensive presence. Shame she has the Bow and Wind Magic weakness, as it's much more common than Great Knight!Kellam or Stahl's Beast and Armor weaknesses.

This.

Frederick is a nice guy. He's very loyal to Chrom and Lissa (And Emmeryn) and will pretty much do anything for them. He also acts as a teacher in a lot of his supports, with Sumia's being the one I remember the most.

As a unit, he has great growths and bases, but the internal level system makes him gain less exp even after reclassing down to Wyvern Rider, etc. He can still be very usable, but I'd say Stahl and Sully fill his role much better in the end.

Edited by TrueEm

I just woke up from a nap and now here are my opinions!

Cherche

Love her to bits. I feel her on the aspect of loving and calling things cute that aren't normally cute. I have a massive bias to Wyvern Riders, especially female ones. The fact she balances being a gentlelady and someone who can wrestle a wyvern draws me in. I really like her design too in all honesty. The only issue I have is that her open back is a bit distracting, but from what I remember I rarely ended up seeing it during battle anyway. Sometimes I'd turn her into a War Cleric for fun and use that instead of Wyvern Rider. Not the best idea but it was funny.

Frederick

Savior of Lunatic. I can see the halo on his head. I even trained up Frederick as best as I can because I liked him enough. I had fun with him as a Wyvern Rider, but I preferred his Great Knight design and stuff so much I ended up turning him back into one. I feel like he's not one of the best fathers for kids, which makes me sad since I can imagine him being a good dad. The only support I can remember of his that I distinctly don't like was Cordelia x Frederick. I actually did enjoy his conversation with Robin in contract to FRobin x Chrom. Love Freddy bear.

Cherche:

She exists for me. She has however one of the WORST children in the game (Seriously Gerome what the hell is your problem?) I don't mind her design, but she's usually benched in favour of other units

Frederick:

Yeah he might be a good unit, but I'm not a fan of him that much. His design is alright and he does help Sumia survive so there is that at least going for him. And he makes Cynthia adorable so there's that too :XD:

Cherche

Her personality is rather "meh"—not offensive but not outstanding. I do ship her with Gregor pretty hard, though. As a unit, I used her because I have a fetish for wyvern riders; the same reason I use her son, though I actually like Gerome quite a bit. I like her design in general—I just don't like that her thighs are out. It creates some sort of weird imbalance for me.

Frederick

What can be said about Freddy-bear that hasn't already been said? I would have liked a support between him and Gaius, however. He hounds down the noble that does not converse with his lord, but ignores the thief that hangs around with Chrom on a daily basis?

Cherche:

She probably has one of my most favorite designs! I especially love the colour of her hair and the little wing headgear she's got on. Though I agree with an opinion I read somewhere saying that the thigh gaps create a sort of visual imbalance and I wish those weren't a thing. (EDIT: oops, saisymbolic's post just appeared for me, yeah i agree) I like her domestic personality a lot (since I am the complete opposite of domesticity in terms of skills) and her habit of finding outlandish things cute is charming to me, at least. I don't like that her support chain with the avatar is entirely about Minerva and not much about herself, though?? I can't see how wyvern matchmaking could possibly lead to romance but ok nintendo gj. I think more people would have married her if the support wasn't so one-note. (also bonus for having a name i can whip out the french accent for HECK YEAH)

Frederick:

His design suits him a lot, and I like his devotion to the royal family. And he's one of the only people who's actually distrusting of Robin at the start. Though speaking of Robin, what the heck was that support chain? I was putting off watching it for a while because I was sure it would be pretty heavy and involving how Frederick came to be so loyal to Chrom and more of his backstory, but the whole thing was about... meat? I think my stomach fell through the floor with how disappointed I was.

Edited by interconnecteddream

Cherche: Despite the impracticality of her armor design, I really can't help but like it. Her hair is quite lovely, and I honestly found the wing headgear looked good along with her handkerchief. I also like her personality, how she combines the idea of being a gentlelady retainer for everyone's favorite womanizer archer, but also being one of those people who finds the taboo to be adorable. As for her supports... I wish they were less Minerva focused. Yes, Cherche. We get that Minerva is your pride and joy and named after one of the original player-controlled wyvern riders. But I want to learn more about you! Not your overgrown lizard with wings!

If you like reading fanfics, a good one involving Cherche and Robin that doesn't involve reptile dating is Of Wyverns and Men. I do recommend it.

Frederick: Similar to so many, I think Frederick is an incredibly solid character. Whether it is his usefulness throughout the game (especially early game lunatic) or his devotion to the Ylissian royal family, Frederick is exactly what you would want from your retainer. Some of the Nohrian and Hoshidoan retainers should take notes! Also that knight-butler design is actually pretty kick-ass if you ask me.

Cherche - Why is her monstrous Strength modifier coupled with staffbot classes? I mean, it makes for great background and story justification, but the classes clash badly with her mods. Kinda wish she'd stand more on her own, instead of having to rely on Minerva for her development.

Frederick - Dedicated to everything except bear meat, and has one of the greatest crit lines to boot. He transitions from heavy frontline offense to transportation, if he's fed enough experience. He's my personal favorite husband for Sumia, since I like how their mods work together.

Brady - He's a decent character. Rough looking fella with a soft personality. Worked really well with Donny as his father (It just makes so much sense).

Yarne - Not one of my favourites due to being support screwed. His cowardice seems to get better in some supports, and yet in other ones it's like it never happened. One of the tropes in Awakening's problematic writing and bloated supports. Overall one of my least favourites of the kids due to that gimmick. The taguel design is a strange one. The tribal warrior look is all find and good but the furry patch around their thighs...I could never figure out if they were actual pants or part of their body since it looked similar to the patches of fur all over their body. It's an odd design, no where near as good as the laguz from the Tellius series.

Cherche - Talks Waaay to much about Minerva. A shame since her supports not focused on Minerva are decent. Her design is odd. The random patches of exposed skin feel randomly placed in just for sexual appeal (Similar to FCorrin). As a unit she fits the tanky flyer motif well and has some pretty good strength on top of that. Her classing options are not what I expected though, I mean they make sense considering her backstory but she's not particularly great with magic. She could utilize War Cleric since they still use axes but Valkyrie just seems pointless unless you really wanna challenge yourself.

Frederick - A very dedicated knight, prehaps a tad too dedicated but he's a nice guy who seems to be like a teacher to some of the others. But overall his supports are pretty good (His support with Sully was quite good) and he's one of the few people I found to go well with Miriel. As a unit he's eh. I think I messed him up in my last run as my limited experience run made it a tad tricky to get him XP so in the end he only reclassed once into a general and that transition made him fall behind rather quickly as he was getting doubled by everything and lacking in offensive power (even with luna). Could have done him better justice if he was a paladin prehaps but overall he's your basic early clutch unit who will be outclassed by Stahl and/or Sully. Definitely one of the weakest of the promoted units you get. Also without him, Lunatic is Im-Fuckin-Possible.

Edited by Naturesshadow

Cherche- As likely to cook for you as she is to gank you with her pre-equipped Hammer. Also, as a Batman fan, I find Gerome tolerable at worst.

Frederick- Not one for Jagens and Oifeys, but I can give Frederick somewhat of a free pass because he isn't as laggy as some of the other ones(Marcus) but also not as overpowered as others(Seth). Note that I haven't played past Hard.

I don't know how this happened but

Today's characters are Inigo and Virion, what is your opinion on those characters?

I should catch up myself so I'll go do a quick opinion thing on the characters.

Aversa is pretty underwhelming in the story, though her chapter is really fun on hard mode, infact, her chapter might as well be one of the only fun chapters in the game.

Lissa is a pretty great sister, she isn't as annoying or bratty as Elise and isn't gimmicky. Unit-wise, she's pretty good, Sage is the best option for her, she'll be one of the many units that can cause kill many enemy units in just one go (because awakening is that easy.)

no opinion on Flavia, though I like her conversations with Basilio. Her design is basically the Hero clothes.

I hate Sumia, Chrom X Sumia is so fucking shoehorned like jeez, just stop, her gimmick is also pretty dumb and isn't funny, doesn't help the fact that she's really limited in supports. Unit-wise, I benched her to use Cordelia instead, since Cordelia is bulkier than Sumia yet still can double just as fine. Design-wise, not really a fan since her design doesn't really go that well with her character.

Gregor is one of my favorite characters in the game, his design is pretty good, his supports can be pretty great, I like the foreign language thing too, he's an interesting dude too, you think he's just some random thug but NOPE, he was apparently one of the potential candidates for being a Khan. Unit-wise, he's got pretty good bases and growths, so he'll also be soloing in awakening.

Henry is my favorite character in the game, his contrast of puns (which are actually fun) and blood lust makes him a pretty interesting character, that I like about him, his basic design fits him in my opinion too. Unit-wise, he's better than Tharja for Nosferatanking, since he has a better defense growth, and will be putting the use of Noseferatu to great use, so he's one of the units that can easily solo in awakening, he won't be a burden either since he comes with Ruin and that shit's critical rate is crazy.

Nah: Not sure if I like Nah very much, her character does seem a bit too adult-ish, but I liked her in the Future Past map. Unit-wise, I haven't used her, but she's probably pretty OP.

Vaike: I liked the dude when I first saw him, not much opinion though, it's nice that he has a 50% defense growth (even though mine got defense screwed anyway)

Brady: I hated him at first for that sass of his, but he's a bit better seeing his thug language which I'm glad he kept to match his design.

Yarne: I dislike his design and his character, instantly benched.

Cherche: My Robin's Waifu in my first (and only) awakening run when I made a pick my pairing for Awakening. I don't think I like her very much, her support with Robin was pretty bad considering Robin was forced into this whole thing, though I did like the S support mainly because of how Robin asked if she has any boyfriends and the way he responded, Minerva will eat most of her supports. Design-wise, I'm not sure, there are some unnecessary things here and there, though I don't mind the back at all. Unit-wise, she's pretty great, she'll do lots of damage and can solo too.

Fredrick: (My friend solo'd awakening with him)

The dude is pretty cool, he's a good unit, though not as great as other un-promoted units like Stahl. He has a pretty good design and I like his critical quotes a lot.

Virion: I want to punch this dude in the face. Benched instantly.

Inigo

Fates did him much better. His gimmick in Awakening is too prominent and gets boring quickly, not to mention it makes him look like an asshole, especially after he has already hooked up with someone. He's got a good voice and a good role in Future Past, as well as a hilarious support with Owain, but he's not my cup of tea.

Virion

One of the most underrated characters of Awakening. The dude is suave, knowledgeable, intelligent, an excellent fighter (well, story-wise...) and hides his concerns for his homeland and his insecurities as a noble behind a carefree attitude much like Inigo, although he does it far better. I can't say I'm a fan of the "proposing to anyone within sight" at all, but people seem to judge him instantaneously because of his first few lines with Sully, which is a shame because there's so much more to him. He's got a heart of gold while still being a badass and a bit of a rogue, and I like that balance.

Azure: Character-wise, his Awakening counterpart is vastly inferior to Lazward in If/Fates. While he still has the "embarrassed" gimmick, he shows maturity in that game (and honestly a much needed second attempt by the writers) to make his motivations clearer and shine as a character. Since this is not a thread for Fates, his Awakening self is much more overloaded with his philandering in supports and hinders his development, as Awakening's other children due to the pressure of being "possibly the last Fire Emblem game".

As a unit, he definitely isn't a tank until you get Sol. After that, anything is pretty much fair game on any difficulty setting.

Gets the most benefit from stacking a Luna inheritance with said Sol via his many possible fathers.

Viole: Had so much potential story wise with the background in Valm and relationship with Serge.

Unit-wise, I didn't pay attention to him that much since his class only got to higher tier in Lunatic+.

To be honest, most of this cast is personally to normal for my tastes. I need to unlock more of their supports.

#1: Walhart- So have stayed dead.

#2: Lucina: I like her as a lead so much more than Chrom, and as much as marrying her to Robin or Robin being her mother turns the later part of this game to glorified fan fiction. It's more interesting than canon.

#3: Aversa- I like her design, that's it.

#4: Lissa- She's nice, gameplay wise she was underwhelming for me (my Vaike!Laurent was far better than her).

#5: Flavia- She's in the game, seems cool though.

#6: Sumia- I like her in her supports with Fredrick, gameplay wise she's useful until you get Cynthia (like all the children, everything you can do I can do better). Everything else about her I find insufferable.

#7: Gregor- I like his Russian accent, that's it.

#8: Henry- Maybe it's because I have a twisted sense of humor myself, but Henry might be one of my favourites in this game.

#9: Nah- I like her supports with Yarne and Male Morgan. I need to unlock more of her supports with her parents but so far she seems like a cunt. She good gameplay wise despite me not being a fan of Mandrakes in this game (The only shape shifting class I'm a fan of is the Wolfskin class in Fates).

#10: Vaike- He's a dude bro, which I'm cool with in this case because he's not a main character. But he's a dude bro who isn't a jackass.

#11: Brady- I don't know enough about to form a opinion, note one thing... if Ricken is his father... don't make him a war monk (learned that the hard way).

#12: Yarne- I think they lay the cowardliness a little to thick to enjoy his character.

#13: Cherche- I like her design and her son is batman, that's it. Her Wyvern is cool.

#14: Fredrick- The smartest man in god damn Ylisse for questioning that some random schmuck Chrom found laying on the field is now a royal advisor in the matter of seconds.

#15: Inigo- Fates is the only reason why I care about Inigo.

#16: Virion- Brock from Pokemon if he had a french accent. Gameplay wise, archer are lame in this game to be honest.

Edited by I'm a Spheal

Inigo

Fates did him much better. His gimmick in Awakening is too prominent and gets boring quickly, not to mention it makes him look like an asshole, especially after he has already hooked up with someone. He's got a good voice and a good role in Future Past, as well as a hilarious support with Owain, but he's not my cup of tea.

Virion

One of the most underrated characters of Awakening. The dude is suave, knowledgeable, intelligent, an excellent fighter (well, story-wise...) and hides his concerns for his homeland and his insecurities as a noble behind a carefree attitude much like Inigo, although he does it far better. I can't say I'm a fan of the "proposing to anyone within sight" at all, but people seem to judge him instantaneously because of his first few lines with Sully, which is a shame because there's so much more to him. He's got a heart of gold while still being a badass and a bit of a rogue, and I like that balance.

I agree with this.

Except Liam O'Brien Inigo is my cup of tea.

Inigo

Laslow is better. I don't hate him, I still like his design and voice, but his supports aren't as constantly great as Laslow's are. Despite this... I actually really like him? It's hard to explain why. I just kind of do. Usually I have Chrom as his dad so he has some lovely blue locks.

Virion

I don't really use him much, unfortunately. When I do use him though, I manage to get all of his supports. He's a pretty good guy with an understandable motive. I try and get him married constantly since he isn't a bad dad and I think he deserves a good ending. I like marrying him to Cordelia for that pretty hair color on Severa.

His name is Inigo Montoya. His dad is normally Chrom for me, so you didn't kill his father. Prepare to die.

Inigo is fine. Not the best, but not awful. I think his reasoning for how he acts is fine, and for the he's fine in most supports. Typically it's the other person that ruins the support in some way, Nah's being a good example.

As a unit, I've never really used him. Planning on it for the Awakening playthrough I'm doing right now. Obviously, Chrom!Inigo.

I don't have a joke beyond he's an Archer.

Virion is cool. Great supports, decent unit, and overall pretty funny. My only problem is, I don't marry him to anyone... ever. I married him to Cherche once, but that was it. Now he just sits on the bench with no partner.

But I did kill his father:

Did... you make a video just for that?

Oh wait it's unlisted.

You made a video just for that?!

Edited by TrueEm

Today's characters are Inigo and Virion, what is your opinion on those characters?

Inigo:

Inigo is a character that grew on me over time. At first I didn't really use him much and I never really dived into his supports, but after I did I started liking him more. I think his support with Nah is terrible, but I blame that way more on her. As a unit, he has access to some good skills, and he's one of the second-generation characters I actually like to use.

Virion:

I agree with everyone that said he's very underrated. Virion is, in my opinion, one of the best-written characters in the game. Although I do have to admit that his story potential kind of fell flat, but that's just due to the story writing of Awakening in general. As a unit, he's okay, but I don't use archers all that much. Honestly, when I do, I usually just go with Noire. But he's fine.

Inigo - One of my least favourite of the kids. In comparison to what Virion is like with the ladies, Inigo comes across as just sleazy, especially if he's married to someone (Although that again can be blamed on support inconsistencies) and it makes me doubt his explanation in his support with his father. I liked him a bit more in Fates but for Awakening he just comes across as annoying. Still...not the worst of the kids.

Virion - Like Vaike, Virion is a character that seems like he's a simplistic character on the outside but actually has a pretty good personality and some solid supports. His praising of the ladies is not sleazy like Inigo, I like his backstory of his ruling over one of the little nations of Valm and what he had to do to save them at the cost of his reputation amongst those left behind, and his knack for strategy as shown in Robin's support (Hell he's one of the best candidates for Robin's S rank). His design is also good, being what you expect from a noble and has some solid voice acting to boot, very posh and dignified. As a unit, while archers aren't the best in this game he does his job pretty well. He hits hard, great skill to prevent misses, and could even tank a bit for me early on. The only downside is that he has no sub classes to utilize his great skill (He could have REALLY benefited from skills like Luna). But as he is, I'd say he's pretty solid.