Post opinions on the last game you have played

Lethakitty

Animal Crossing new leaf. um... its a life sim and really I don't like to play life sims that much. I got it as a gift though. eh I don't have a dream address thingy yet so. also I am trying to make the town Xillia 2 themed including having my villager wear ludgers clothes and I named it Leronde. Hamill or Nia Khera would of been too easy and I hate all of the elympion towns besides drellin.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragon Quest VI

This is still one of my favorite games. I love the story and characters (aside from one aspect of the story that bothers me quite a bit), has my favorite take on DQ's skill-learning systems, even more so than its "clone" VII since I feel VI's version is executed better (VII's was a bit over-saturated, I suppose one could say. A lot of classes felt very pointless). And Milly and Terry are among my favorite DQ characters.

The one thing I don't like about VI is the fact Milly, despite being one of my favorite characters, is a bit... underexplained in terms of her story role. You never find her real world body, and she clearly remembers things from before Murdaw sent her, Carver and the Protagonist to the Dream World, but fails to recognize the protagonist and Carver. We also have no idea how she knew the method of summoning the dragon.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition: Siege of Dragonspear

I've finally gotten around to play the Enhanced Edition and I find myself liking it a lot. It very much feels like the original game, except it runs far better then anything I ever managed to accomplish with mods. And Beamdog had good judgment when it comes to tweaking the original game. Like, you can now carry far more arrows and potions and characters of a Neutral alignment won't complain if you have a good reputation. It's small changes like this that go a long way to improve the experience.

The only thing that bugs me is that they moved Durlaq's tower further to the north, east of Bergeost. I would really like to know what the purpose of that random change was. Dang it, I must have spend hours searching the areas east of Nashkel looking for the damn thing. But yeah, there is really not a lot to complain about. They did Baldur's Gate justice, in my humble opinion.

As for the addon Siege of Dragonspear... I am very much blown away by it to be honest. It feels very fresh. The scenario is that of a military campaign, so you keep traveling forward with your convoy and old areas become inaccessible as you progress. So the game is quite different from either Baldur's Gate game, But it's different in the right way. Kinda like how Baldur's Gate 2 was very different from the first game, with a more linear world, fewer but far more elaborate quests and stronger writing. SoD still feels very much like an addon that Bioware could have made back in the day

And personally I like SoD's linearity a lot. I find it a bit silly that RPGs always feel the need to also be open world games. It kinda takes the urgency out of the main quest when you can just run around all over the place. So I vastly prefer the tightness of RPGs like Fire Emblem. Not that SoD actually is as linear as Fire Emblem. There is still some room to explore.

I also like how the Flaming Fist army is so colorful in this game. Like, it always bugs me when there is a setting with an colorful assortment of Elves, Dwarfes, Hobbits and whatnot and somehow the law enforcement consist of a single white human male and his 100+ identical twin brothers like in the original Baldur's Gate. And as a mercenary army, the Flaming Fist should be about as ragtag as your average adventurer party anyway. So I am very glad that they avoided this here. Especially since all those guys travel with you, so it's particularly valuable that this army doesn't make you feel like you are surrounded by a bunch of Clone Troopers.

The story is pretty promising so far. SoD is a midquel between the story of BG1 and BG2 and being a midquel usually means bad things for a story. But so far it actually feels like a very organic addition to the story of both games. I'm not through the game yet but I think I get the general idea about how those events lead into the story of BG2. Which is particularly nice as Baldur's Gate 2 had nothing to offer but an embarrassing shrug about why your party left Baldur's Gate in the first place. So I am glad that it looks like this addon does a good job at filling the gap between the two games.

It also looks to me like Beamdog managed to get a good chunk of the old actors to reprise their roles. Now I did play the German version of the original game, so I am no expert on the English cast but I do recognize the Narrator and Irenicus at least as their performance in the original games was very memorable. And judging by the fact that a minor character felt the need to actually lampshade his different voice, I would guess that they managed to get the voice actors of just about all the major characters to reprise their roles. Well whatever the case, even for me it's a pleasure to hear David Warner and Kevin Michael Richardson in their roles again and the voice acting does it's part in making the addon feel like an organic part of the original series.

Edited by BrightBow

Fantasy Life

I've really been enjoying this game. Although pretty easy--and the crafting Lives are repetitive--it's still fun. I like killing monsters and catching fish to cook, and chopping down trees to obtain wood to make more tools, furniture, etc. There's certainly a lot to do, especially with how many sidequests there seems to be. Oh, and the music is really good, too.

Super Mario 3D Land, AKA: X-Axis, What's that?: The Game. Speedrunners will get what I mean.

I've speedrunned, and I don't get what you mean. I prefer to call it Poor Man's 3D World.

Edited by Zera

Ghost Trick

Woah. This game was super amazing. Flying around trying to find out who you are, what's your role in the plot, while also manipulating objects and trying to bring back the dead back to life. I really enjoyed the characters and story, especially the main character. Although I'll have to say the ending was rather surprising, but satisfying.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse: Great game, I'd say better than SMT IV. There is a better plot, better battle system (smirk isn't broken, less BS bosses) and better characters. The control over partners and their actual usefulness (from >0 to really helpful) is really good and man, can I say how much I (no homo) love Hallelujah? Easily one of my favorite characters in the SMT IV games (Walter is second) because he's both kind, adorable but kicks so much demon butt that he because my goddess and carried my body into YHVH, The game is longer, better and more enjoyable than regular SMT IV. The only thing I'll say about SMT IV:A that is worse than SMT IV is the wayyyy over priced MP costs (I'm looking at you Mediarama and Mediarahan) and the amount of weaknesses and resistances that demons have (less exploitable, makes builds, especially physical, less effective), as well as a slightly slower paced early game. But hey, at least the bosses are a lot more fair and less luck-based (getting walter on Minotaur is reset-worthy). But what do I know? I played on Conflict (normal) difficultly and got unintentionally overleveled (I don't exactly know what "run" is), which my brother says makes me a scrub at the game and he's played a few more SMT games than I, so I guess I might be a wee misguided.

Still playing Dungeon Fighters Online after 2-3 solid weeks of play. As I have stated before, it is a free to play brawler in the style of Golden Axe but has many different classes, attacks, and skills to mess around with. So far, it seems to be fair enough for purely free players but paying money will speed up progression and make it easier to gear your characters. However, I am starting to lose my "Newbie / Returnee" benefits, so we shall see what happens if I continue playing.

Currently I am nearing endgame with my Storm Bringer (a woman with big guns such as a flamethrower, laser rifle, electrical nuke, etc). I am seeing the gear grind ahead of me as endgame quests are a lot of repeating the same dungeon over and over, and the ultimate gear grind is the same - rerunning dungeons repeatedly in hopes for rare drops or getting enough materials to obtain endgame gear. Also, endgame difficulty is HARD compared the breeze of leveling up characters due to some of the gimmick dungeons, but a part of this may be because I may be undergeared for certain things.

Endgame grind aside, playing through alts and messing around with different builds is still enjoyable for me. I'm also looking into Fashion Fighter Online as my characters already have a couple of different costumes they can wear provided I ever get around to purchasing them. There's also a new patch incoming that is hyping me up a bit to continue playing as well.

Dude, I played in the beta for the North American release of DFO! I loved it, but then I moved to a different country, and the company that was porting it over from Korea got shitcanned, and then when it came back I had moved to a different country! I have to have a Japanese Social Security number to play the version available to me. Man, I miss that game.

I finished my first playthrough of Bloodborne last week. It was incredible. October is a fine month to play, because the atmosphere of the whole game is one big creepfest. The learning curve appears steep at first, but once you get into the midgame everything feels great to control. My only real complaint would be with the framerate: 30fps max. It doesn't feel like you're underwater or anything, but I hope someday in the future there will be a rerelease that runs at 60fps. I had so much fun I immediately just jumped into the New Game Plus mode, and made a fresh character with a different build in mind the next day. The craftsmanship and consistent quality of that game are astounding.

• 1 month later...

Pokémon Moon

New Pokémon game wow its not like there's already enough of them. in all seriousness Gen 7 was good. It only really introduced like 80 new Pokémon but the only Pokémon I don't like in moon is alolan Raichu. I never liked Raichu to begin with so the new form isn't really helping. I am sad triple and rotation battles are gone but battle royals are fun (When your not fighting against cheating AI) I do hate SoS battles for wild pokemon. half due to making it tedious since you apparently cant aim for a certain mon even though you could in the gamecube games. and also making pokemon SoS exclusive. but overall it is an overall good game

Dragon Quest VII 3DS

Basically an inferior version of Dragon Quest VI, still. VII tried to improve on VI by having more... it kinda fell flat. The plot of "disc one" just has an extremely repetitive pattern it goes through, unlike in the case of DQVI. You don't simply wander randomly like DQVI, but the progression of VII just kind of drags for a while while the player thinks "are we going to get with the main plot soon?"

VII also oversaturated the game with classes. This didn't work at all. I have no real motivation to use most of them, they feel so pointless. The 3DS version tried to fix it, but to be honest, I like VI's system more, less classes meant more classes had multiple skills only they had.

I love VII because it's similar to VI, but I can't help but think VI did its concepts so much better than VII did.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Metroid Fusion:

Wow, this was so epic, so great. I'm a fan of the Metroid series(although I only played two, the other being Super Metroid, which is also fantastic) and so I greatly enjoyed this game.

I'm not a fan of most platformers, but Metroid Fusion did its job really well. I also liked how it gave a horror feel at times. The plot I also greatly enjoyed, and I was also satisfied with the ending.

The sountrack was good too, and the bosses were also great(although the last boss was not the best one).

I do have to say Metroid Fusion is more linear than Super Metroid, but it remained interesting through various means, like feeling a sense of danger, having to find new routes to get to a specific place and occasionally being chased by a certain important character...

All in all, play this game, or the other 2D Metroid games if you want to get into Platformers, or if you just want some good video game adventure.

Playing through P3P once again. Still reinforcing why the female protagonist should have been the canon protagonist for the game and that she should have a The Answer segment of her own.

Also, Harvest Moon: Animal Parade. Never has a game series made me feel so accomplished and emotional about monotonous farming and gift giving.

Lastly, Metropolismania for the PS2. This game . . . Bad translation. Palette-swapped characters. Slight graphical glitches. Cavemen. Aliens. Odd but incredibly interesting game play. I want a remaster, but I know the game would lose all of its charms.

Edited by saisymbolic

Oh yeah I got a bunch

This one I'm not technically finishes with just haven't beat the final boss, but whatever I basically finished it I'll be the final boss whenever I dang well want to...

Dragon Quest 7: Game is pretty good I think five is better though but I guess this remake makes 7 kind of better just by the sheer existence of no random encounters but if five had not random encounters I would consider a better whole hog. This is for a couple reasons why didn't joy saw the kind a cool situations could get into the class system was born a practice of getting hundreds of movies that are literally pointless The game weighs you down with way too many moves that are massively situational or truly worthless in practice. And to be brutally honest moves like thin air, scorch, and boulder toss basically make all enemy encounters pointless as they now go away in five seconds thanks to those OP moves (to be honest I kind of enjoy this makes enemy encounters faster but it does completely destroy any meaning to enemy variety). I also just like the last game I really really don't appreciate when bosses have way too much Health and take 10 years to freaking kill that's why I haven't beat the final boss yet he has five forms I wasted all my mana trying to beat me fast and got tired of fighting him so I don't know when I'll re-pick up the game...

Paper Mario: Color Splash I actually enjoyed this game quite a bit I think it's just below Paper Mario 64 because of the inherent weakness of its battle system. But a lot of the levels are really creative and fun and of like five the boss fights (Ludwig, Roy, Larry, Bowser, Kamek) were actually really good. The story is about the same level as it was in Paper Mario 64, the characters really do have a lot of personality I just wish they might put more effort into designing them to reflect that. I also like its usage of the world map and how basically it feels like it doesn't have one due to how it's structured and how uses the paint stars in a cool way to open up new areas, it was one of a few times where the thing I was collecting felt like it was actually opening up the areas in the sensible way.

And I'm currently playing Last Guardian my thoughts will be put on that's when I finish it... ( I might just start a thread ).

Edited by Locke087

I'm currently doing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for the first time. I'm loving the story and how the fallout from Path of Radiance is done, but some of the gameplay is stupid hard. I found out yesterday that Normal difficulty on the US version is Hard in the Japanese version, which would have been nice to know beforehand...

Overall, I wouldn't put it as my favourite Fire Emblem, but it's still very good, and I think it's got of the best stories of Fire Emblem games.

[spoiler=Currently playing Tales of Berseria]

• It has the darkest earlygame of all Tales of parts I've played yet.
  • Armatization is replaced by single transformation of Velvet.
  • I like the skill system: Learning new artes depends how often use a given art. It's similar to Vesperia's system except that the arte bar rises instead of the weapon bar.
  • The overworld map desgin reminds pretty much on Zestiria's (which isn't a surprise for being story related).
  • The dungeons and overworld fields have more enemies than in Zestiria. Encounter links appear, but they're different. You fight actually more than two groups of monsters because lots of reinforcements will appear after the first monsters are killed. It's very possible to fight more than a dozen of monsters in one single fight. It's a nice way to get some experience.
  • Berseria introduces the "substituion" mechanic. (maybe it appaers in an other part I haven't played yet, anyways it's the first time I saw that) You have access to all your party members. In each battle your team consists of four units like usual, but the unconsidered units can take part of the battle at any time by replacing one of your current team units. It's a great mechanic, very useful if someone died. I'm not 100% sure, but I might have seen that you can replace even dead party members. That automatically means that gives you 1-2 more lives. (depending how large your team is)
  • This game seems to be really easy. I play on normal but the opponents do almost nothing. Most stand and get wrecked for the most part. Exception are the the elite monsters, which are still tough and the hardest enemies of the game. The fourth elite monster, a bird, gives me lots of trouble.
  • Sea travels return.

I really enjoy it, much more than Zestiria.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Enjoying a Tales game more than Zestiria is not a hard thing to do, mein kamerad

Plague Inc. Evolved.

Opinion, it's fun, the idea of infecting and killing humanity is interesting and the execution is entertaining. Humanity adapts and tries to stop your plague as you evolve and make it grow, then doubles the effort when you make your plague turn lethal, and all that good stuff. It's an amusing change of pace for me.

Edited by Soledai

• 3 weeks later...

[spoiler=Tales of Berseria]

storywise:

I guess it's really good. It's the most talkative Tales game I've played it. Unfortunately I couldn't understand them (for having no JP knowledge).

gameplaywise:

I had mixed feelings. The battle system reminds me more on older parts which I find good.

Armaitzation was replaced by Velvet's transformation.

You can change your party members (unless they're k.o.) while the battles. A very nice feature.

As for the overworld and dungeons:

The overworld isn't as empty as in Zestiria thankfully.

Grinding is really useful. In encounter-links you don't only fight two groups of enemies, but like four groups. They give you quite a bunch of exp. and it's a great way to level your units without wasting too much time.

However the dungeons aren't very creatively designed. Only very few of them had challenging puzzles. That's the only major downer I found.

All in all it was a good game, although not the best Tales game for me.

Tales of Xillia

Yes I played the xillias backwards. I like it so far. one problem is that I really don't like jude or millas playstyle. I generally don't like fist fighters in tales because of preferring longer range for fighting. Milla is awkward for me to play as honestly at least she has the spirit shift ability so she isn't basically a caster. My favorite character to play as is Alvin. its interesting to see parts of xillia 1 I knew nothing about while not regretting that I played its sequel first. The battles are feeling weird to me though which does make me wish I played xillia 1 first. It feels like sometimes when I use artes they just don't happen. oh well I still like the game so far. I am only at sapstrath deepwood though

also I am playing the game on moderate and it is feeling easier than xillia 2 so I might boost the difficulty up to hard

Edited by Chromatus