Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

Why? (I'm playing MM 3D right now!)

I'll probably get complaints about this, but it's partly that I think she's an annoying idiot and partly that I believe Cremia needed someone like Kafei in her life so much more. Think about it. All Anju does is stand behind a counter mixing up guests and cook bad food, and this is with her mother's help and her grandmother's company. Cremia has no one but her little sister who's too busy worrying about aliens (though understandably so since the aliens are real), she runs the huge ranch by herself, she works to deliver milk by herself all while being harassed by the Gorman brothers all the time. And she still looks after her sister at the same time. Oh, and if Link doesn't help Romani, she disappears forever too! Why Kafei couldn't open his eyes and see that a husband to help her would do wonders for Cremia and probably little for Anju's clumsy mind, I don't know. Maybe he likes dumb and clumsy women more than hard-working and lonely ones, which would be a shame to me.

I'm aware that the 3DS version of the game makes Anju a bit less of an idiot, but she's still an idiot to a degree since she STILL mixes up guests and cooks bad food.

Heck, I also think Cremia is a lot prettier. Malon was pretty in OoT when she grew up (though not as pretty as adult Zelda), and Cremia uses her model.

Cremia is one of the few characters in this game I really enjoyed because I admire how hard she works and that despite all her troubles, she keeps on keepin' on.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

​-Can we stop getting shitty items or very situational items that you can only use like, one time? (LoZ).

-GF are, for some reason, afraid to give additional evolutions to Eevee

-Eevee's french name sucks (Évoli)

-Its evolution's french name also sucks

-Primal were not a mistake

-I'm not even sure some video games even try to bring a good story

Here's some unpopular opinions:

Game ones:

-I don't like the Pokemon games in general. I've only played Heart and Gold( for the DS), but I didn't really get into it. The gbc ones, well, I can't play them because the graphics are hard to get used to. And then there's the fact I like some pokemon, and some I don't. I guess I haven't played the better games in the series, which is why I didn't get addicted to it.

-Not sure if this is unpopular, but I find Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance worse in terms of graphics then Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Circle of the moon.

-I don't like Preparation screens and avatar making a lot, since most of my time playing games(that have these features) is spent on preparing and avatar making. So, yeah, this means less action and more thinking and customization.

4-Unova is the least interesting because you basically walk around in a circle, no exploration or backtracking and a boring evil team (Black/white 2 fixed this but I skipped it because Black and White was such a disappointment) also the pokeathlon no longer exists which is another point against it.

5-Final Fantasy 6 is the best in the series (actually I think this one isn't that uncommon)

4 - If I may ask, why do you think so?

Because Team Plasma is probably one of my favorite evil team in the series

5 - Yeah, this isn't really unpopular considering that It's the most loved game in the franchise, along with FFVII.

I'll probably get complaints about this, but it's partly that I think she's an annoying idiot and partly that I believe Cremia needed someone like Kafei in her life so much more. Think about it. All Anju does is stand behind a counter mixing up guests and cook bad food, and this is with her mother's help and her grandmother's company. Cremia has no one but her little sister who's too busy worrying about aliens (though understandably so since the aliens are real), she runs the huge ranch by herself, she works to deliver milk by herself all while being harassed by the Gorman brothers all the time. And she still looks after her sister at the same time. Oh, and if Link doesn't help Romani, she disappears forever too! Why Kafei couldn't open his eyes and see that a husband to help her would do wonders for Cremia and probably little for Anju's clumsy mind, I don't know. Maybe he likes dumb and clumsy women more than hard-working and lonely ones, which would be a shame to me.

I'm aware that the 3DS version of the game makes Anju a bit less of an idiot, but she's still an idiot to a degree since she STILL mixes up guests and cooks bad food.

Heck, I also think Cremia is a lot prettier. Malon was pretty in OoT when she grew up (though not as pretty as adult Zelda), and Cremia uses her model.

Cremia is one of the few characters in this game I really enjoyed because I admire how hard she works and that despite all her troubles, she keeps on keepin' on.

Romani will be sitting outside in a daze the next day if Link fails to keep the aliens out on the first night.

To make this post slightly more relevant, I don't see the problem with Anime!Iris. BW Ash fits her descriptions of him quite well.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Romani will be sitting outside in a daze the next day if Link fails to keep the aliens out on the first night.

No, I'm talking about if you never even attempt that side quest. If you never try it, and you go to the ranch on the third day, you'll find Cremia sad, wishing that she'd listened to Romani. And Romani is nowhere to be found.

Anju does lose Kafei for awhile, but she gets him back given that the end of the game shows her wedding no matter what happens. In the scenario above, Romani appears to be gone for good.

Edited by Anacybele

No, I'm talking about if you never even attempt that side quest. If you never try it, and you go to the ranch on the third day, you'll find Cremia sad, wishing that she'd listened to Romani. And Romani is nowhere to be found.

Anju does lose Kafei for awhile, but she gets him back given that the end of the game shows her wedding no matter what happens. In the scenario above, Romani appears to be gone for good.

Why would trying and failing produce a different outcome than not trying? Romani will be taken either way, why would the aliens spit her out after wiping her memories in one scenario but not the other?

In addition, no events on her schedule make such a distinction. No guides or anything state she vanishes, only wanders in a disoriented state.

Why would trying and failing produce a different outcome than not trying? Romani will be taken either way, why would the aliens spit her out after wiping her memories in one scenario but not the other?

In addition, no events on her schedule make such a distinction. No guides or anything state she vanishes, only wanders in a disoriented state.

I don't know, but when I wandered the ranch on the third day once, without having attempted that side quest (can't remember why I didn't, maybe I was doing other things first), I couldn't find Romani anywhere. Don't ask me, I'm not Nintendo.

I don't know, but when I wandered the ranch on the third day once, without having attempted that side quest (can't remember why I didn't, maybe I was doing other things first), I couldn't find Romani anywhere. Don't ask me, I'm not Nintendo.

Maybe I'm just remembering something different, since I make Bunny Hood top priority for first cycle after becoming a human, but I could have sworn Romani sits on the Arrow Crate on Day 3 no cow saving.

Maybe I'm just remembering something different, since I make Bunny Hood top priority for first cycle after becoming a human, but I could have sworn Romani sits on the Arrow Crate on Day 3 no cow saving.

It's possible. I could be remembering something different too, who knows?

Another opinion that's probably unpopular is that I wasn't fond of a lot of the MM characters in general. Cremia is my favorite, but other than her and Skull Keeta (he's just cool), I didn't really like anyone else much. I like that everyone has their own schedules and things you help them with and stuff, but they never grabbed my interest. I wasn't even ever really interested in doing those things in the first place, I only did them for the stuff you got in the end (mainly masks).

Also, I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not: I like the mask system, but I wish more of them had gotten better uses. You go through all kinds of crap to get, say, the Couple's Mask, only for it to have one tiny little use and then it does nothing. The mask system was a good idea, but seriously flawed. The only thing that compelled me to even get all of them was the Fierce Deity's Mask, which is pretty badass, but at the same time, you can't use it anywhere but boss battles and by that point, there's no reason to do the boss battles again except just for fun, and I didn't like any of them enough (well, Twinmold was okay, I just wish it'd been harder after Gyorg was a bitch). And it makes the final boss battle stupidly easy (heck, it's already really easy even without it).

Edited by Anacybele

Thank god for Pokemon Showdown, cutting out all the pointless crap in Pokemon games.

That's actually the exact opposite (for me).

Pokémon Competitive isn't the all end of Pokémon. To me, it's honnestly the less interresting part of the franchise.

If that was the only part of the serie I'd have left a long time ago, because it takes everything that is fun and charming and replaces it with boring and tedious.

Why are Pokémon games great ? ...Simply because they are fun.

-They have high replayability (which may comes with its own problems, I'll agree. The randomization of the game is a little too much...)

-A world that becomes more charming and lively as the series advance (just walking around X Y's towns is fun and great.), helped by the great writing (and fantastic translation). Exploration is a big part of the game, and it's quite fun to do.

It's perfectly OK for a game to be flawed if it checks all the right marks for you.

Outside Pokémon, a great example would be Trails of Cold Steel (I, and probably II as well.).

This game have a lot of anime bullshit crammed into it that range to slightly ridiculous (the school setting) to completely stupid (Alisa X Rean at the beginning, or Elise X Rean, that seems like they're out of a bad harem serie.). Yet... This is a fantastic game! Because it have immense world building, actullly great character developpment, fantastic music, amazing battle system... And I need to repeat how perfect ToCS Chapter 3 is.

Same thing with Wild Arms 5. It sin't perfect, but none of its problems actually matters. Let's see.

Fantastic music. Check (it's WA after all),

Great cast of character, with good developpment. Check. (Greg's backstory manages to take a pretty cliché trope, and executes it well. Especially the reaction of a certain character that is both completely understandable while being awfull. It would have been so easy to mss up, so GG game.)

Great battle system. Check (Hex were added in the perecedent game, but it's both strategically interresting and intuitive.)

General sense of fun. Check. (Doing things ostensibly just because they are cool.)

​-Can we stop getting shitty items or very situational items that you can only use like, one time? (LoZ).

-GF are, for some reason, afraid to give additional evolutions to Eevee

-Eevee's french name sucks (Évoli)

-Its evolution's french name also sucks

-Primal were not a mistake

-I'm not even sure some video games even try to bring a good story

I'm not sure if you already read that article.

It explain the origins of the French Names of the 151 Pokémon (among other things, like why Lickitung is the 108th Pokémon.)

The "Li" of the Eeveelutions names in French comes from the fatc originally they evolved by stones (Li > Lithos. Greek for stones.)

It's a great read if you didn't saw it already.

Anju mixed up two people of the -

- same name

- same species

- same reservation time

Real-life clerks make far worse mistakes than that. It's not that Anju's dumb, it's that Link's a name-sharing, shape-shifting, time-controlling cheater.

The REAL dumbest person in Majora's Mask is the bank guy, who is easily convinced that some random kid has invested 9,999 rupees in an account.

The reward for the Anju X Kafei quest is not the Couple's Mask itself, but witnessing the reunion of lovers right before the moon destroys everything. You simply can't experience that in other games. The only prerequisite is that you have to be on board with the whole Anju X Kaf - oh.

The bosses in MM 3D were revamped to be less frustrating. Even Gyorg was no match for me.

Tbh I found the 3D version's bosses more interesting than the N64.

Twinmold in particular is much less mindless now.

And yeah Link is the biggest fraud in Termina. Bank fraud, reservation fraud, lottery ticket timehax...

Granted, he's 10, but surely the kid has some idea of what he's doing?

Tbh I found the 3D version's bosses more interesting than the N64.

Twinmold in particular is much less mindless now.

And yeah Link is the biggest fraud in Termina. Bank fraud, reservation fraud, lottery ticket timehax...

Granted, he's 10, but surely the kid has some idea of what he's doing?

I'm not sure how make in the first two easier (yeah they kind of spiced up the pattern on the first boss but he is overall easier so what does it matter) and making Gyorg yet another boss that sucks in bombs (but this time in water) makes him more interesting, But i'll give you that Twinmold was definitely harder even if the losing the sword in giant form is paramount to sin to me... Man if they just gave me the sword not had the Giant Mask required contextual button press throw I could say it was a better boss sadly it was not twas to be...

You know I never thought of doing the bank in that way I just basically thought of the bank teller as omniscient and that for whatever reason he just remembers however much money you put in the bank. Or that he has a time safe stand that somehow accumulates money regardless of the flow of time I mean if I was coming in the town every day just to trick the bank teller into thinking I have way more money then I am supposed to why don't I just tell him I have 9,000 rupees every time. Clearly the only logical explanation is that the banker is some kind of time traveling deity.

Edited by Locke087

4 - If I may ask, why do you think so?

Because Team Plasma is probably one of my favorite evil team in the series

My gripe isn't really with team plasma, I liked them to a degree but their plans didn't really feel that grandiose but I think they where integrated into the story far better than most other evil teams (even If I was robbed my battle with the champion.) My problem is the region itself, I started playing with Diamond and my next game was Soul Silver, if anyone can remember those two regions let you at least partially tackle them in the order you wanted. However Unova was far more like a traditional region where you are forced down a certain path and it was my first time playing a region like that and I did not like it. The second problem was exploration, In Unova I never really felt that I could leave the beaten path, there wasn't much to explore off of it. However in Diamond I was climbing Mount Coronet or exploring some abandoned Chateu it really felt like I was having my own adventure.

Edited by Mackc2

I'm not sure how make in the first two easier (yeah they kind of spiced up the pattern on the first boss but he is overall easier so what does it matter) and making Gyorg yet another boss that sucks in bombs (but this time in water) makes him more interesting, But i'll give you that Twinmold was definitely harder even if the losing the sword in giant form is paramount to sin to me... Man if they just gave me the sword not had the Giant Mask required contextual button press throw I could say it was a better boss sadly it was not twas to be...

You know I never thought of doing the bank in that way I just basically thought of the bank teller as omniscient and that for whatever reason he just remembers however much money you put in the bank. Or that he has a time safe stand that somehow accumulates money regardless of the flow of time I mean if I was coming in the town every day just to trick the bank teller into thinking I have way more money that I supposed why don't I just tell him I have 9,000 rupees every time. Clearly the only logical explanation is that the banker is some kind of time traveling deity.

How the bank works is he stamps Link's bank balance on his forehead with special (apparently time-travel proof) ink.

Not exactly the most sane balance keeping method, must say. It's quite exploitable.

In other words, when moving back in time, Link is basically using its power for the sake of bank fraud.

Clearly the only logical explanation is that the banker is some kind of time traveling deity.

Well, the banker may not be a time traveling deity, but they do have a time traveling cow.

To be on topic, I have a hard time actually hating or disliking most fictional characters because, as fictional characters, they haven't truly wronged me or anyone else in any way. No matter how poorly executed or badly written they are, anyway.

Edited by Lightchao42

How the bank works is he stamps Link's bank balance on his forehead with special (apparently time-travel proof) ink.Not exactly the most sane balance keeping method, must say. It's quite exploitable.In other words, when moving back in time, Link is basically using its power for the sake of bank fraud.

I'm always learning new things when comes to majora (this is also what I get for skimming over the bankers dialogue) just makes me imagine in the eventual super HD remake of majora to obtain the upmost realism you'll have to show everybody is worth in rupees on their fore heads... because I think I can't be the only customer the bank has. Wonder how the banker erases the the first stamp before replacing it...

Edited by Locke087

Anju mixed up two people of the -

- same name

- same species

- same reservation time

Real-life clerks make far worse mistakes than that. It's not that Anju's dumb, it's that Link's a name-sharing, shape-shifting, time-controlling cheater.

The REAL dumbest person in Majora's Mask is the bank guy, who is easily convinced that some random kid has invested 9,999 rupees in an account.

According to a gossip stone, however, mixing up guests is a habit of hers. It's not a one time thing. Also, there's still the fact that she can't cook either. It's like she isn't good at anything and is meant to just be an untalented idiot, which is rather unrealistic. Everybody is good at SOMETHING.

Edited by Anacybele

Posted (edited) · Hidden by eclipse, November 28, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by eclipse, November 28, 2016 - No reason given

Ugh, another weird double post. This is happening to a lot of people on the forum. It needs to be fixed.

Edited by Anacybele

My problem is the region itself, I started playing with Diamond and my next game was Soul Silver, if anyone can remember those two regions let you at least partially tackle them in the order you wanted. However Unova was far more like a traditional region where you are forced down a certain path and it was my first time playing a region like that and I did not like it. The second problem was exploration, In Unova I never really felt that I could leave the beaten path, there wasn't much to explore off of it. However in Diamond I was climbing Mount Coronet or exploring some abandoned Chateu it really felt like I was having my own adventure.

Is it just me, or were the Routes in Unova shorter too, than when I played, say, Silver/Red? On one hand, it felt really sluggish when I had to level grind at certain points because of the lack of opportunities to find new areas. On the other, it felt like the games were rushed, because after you cleared a certain area, there was nothing else to do. I know over at Bulbagarden, some people who played BW1 blamed this for the (perceived) sluggishness in level-grinding - aside from the experience scaling which was unnecessarily skewed against Pokémon overlevelled against local wilds (but were still below the local Gym Leader's Pokémon).

Also, I've tried everything in the book to make grinding faster in BW, but I still think the EXP mechanism, alongside gyms that aren't as straightforward as GSC or RBY, and less choices for Pokémon (compared to BW2 and XY), and more cases of wild Pokémon screwing my training, make level-grinding frustrating in that game - there's much less sense of progress. Sure, have underlevelled Pokémon level up faster, but the lower end of the EXP multiplier should never go below x1. Keep it the same for overlevelled Pokémon; for fuck's sake, let those wierdos who insist on power-levelling their only one Pokémon do as they please. There are already incentives to diversify your team - if they power-level their starter as their only Pokémon and get stuck this way, it is their own goddamn fault, not GF's.

Though the biggest blame goes to Nintendo doing the dick move of pre-maturely removing the DS Wi-Fi like, three months notice. They were most responsible for forcing me to rush BW, and ruining the experience. They could keep the Famicon Disc System services until 1999, the Lawson Nintendo Power Rom stations for the Super Famicon until around 2006, and the repairs for Game Boy into the 2000s; I expected the same long customer service with DS Wi-Fi. If they had a trouble with the subcontractor, they should have stated so.

Edited by henrymidfields