Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

^Imagine Serenes Forums in poR before it was revived. That would be this place if every post was a race to gain likes like it will happen if a like system was in place.

I'm sick of hearing "OMG x person died in The Walking Dead and it was brutal!" on every social media platform. I get it, it was shocking and shit, but it's a zombie series. You're supposed to expect that. It's like going to see Nightmare on Elm Street and be surprised and horrified that some teens got killed.

Edited by Spinal

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I do agree with you that Sharon is really good, and Tea Time is also a great heal as well.

Maybe Sara just never worked for me, she always felt lacking in dealing damage. Perhaps I used the wrong MQ? I considered giving either her or Rean Laura's Mater Quartz.

And speaking of adults party memebers, sadly, I believe that Claire is the worst one. She really doesn't excel at anything.[

And yeah, Toval's acessory is the best one to get.

Sara works best with the biggest honkin' Attack quartz you can spare, and one that gives HP so she lives long enough for Thor to be useful. She's got the right combination of tankiness and physical damage, and isn't lacking in speed. What makes her great is three high levels of damage (A, B, and C), not the amount that she cranks out.

I have no opinion of Claire, since I never used her. I figured that Machais was a perfectly good gunner, and having two was redundant.

Though the magic mirrors were great for fanservice, I refuse to use them. The game already throws a bunch of characters at you, so why NOT use those instead? Though of the entire cast, Angelica was my least favorite, due to her in-battle voice samples.

I think in general, I'd say : You have the choice, so makes it worthwile. You have the choice between 3D and 2D graphism (or anything around ot. Cell Shading, Pixel Art, whatever...). Games can chose hatever battle system they want, so make the most out of it.

Not unpopular, but in medias and Video Games, Characters are the driven force more than plot. You can have a cliche, incoherent plot, if the characters are enjoyable/relatable, it will be a good time. Conversely, if your plot is deep and complex, but the characters are lame, unlikanble, it will be bad, because I have no reason to care. This is especially important in Video Games, since if you feel disconnect with the MC, playing the game isn't really Worth it (Not to beat a dead horse, but Corrin/Robin prowes my point.)

​As for characters. I prefer more and more naive, enthusiastic characters (WA5! Dean, and Grandia!Julian comes to mind) to edgy, broody Anti Heroes (any attempt to show hiow ridiculous they actually are is a good point in my book.)

​My liking for WA5!Rebecca and Maribel put me to think Tsundere aren't that bad actually. Sure, it's cheap, and therees some issues with it, but it isn't a bad archetype. It can allow easily to build character dynamic between main girl and MC, and adds some sort of quick depth. If the charcter's still the same at the ned of the story, now that may be bad, but at a starting point, it's good.

About Medias : I have no interest in Star Wars. I've seen Episode 1, and episode VII (Avatar/20, if you want my opinion. A fun spectacle, and a good time for ll the family, but Nothing really more than that (Drunken Uncle Luke was unvoluntary funny, though).)

I feel it's too late for met o jump on that now, especilally when nothing in it especially appeals me.

Gunbuster is superior to Gurren Lagann.

Don't you mean Diebuster here ?

Because Diebuster took the craziness of Gurenn Lagann to anothet level (there's things called Physics Canceller, after all), while making it fit technically. And the ending is fantastic.

Gunbuster was sorta rough, but still OK.

So yeah, for me Diebuster >>>> Gurenn Lagann. I don't really loved it that much actually (it's good, but it doesn't really touch me, and the "over teh top" part isn't that much after all. Just making things bigger, instead of making them more innovative.)

Staying on anime. I know many hate Star Driver, but I like it. It have issues here and there, but its still compelling, ad I like how the love triangle is treated actually. (However, Captain Earth deserves all its complaints.)

-I'm not too big of a fan of Yuri, from Tales of Vesperia, I understand why people like him, I'm just not too into it. I much prefer Flynn, gameplay and character wise.

-Anise is an alright character from Tales of the Abyss.

-Tales of the Abyss Natalia is a nice character but her relationship with Asch is horrible and it's absolutely annoying.

-Asch is the worst Tales of the Abyss character.

-I'm not too big of a fan of Yuri, from Tales of Vesperia. I much prefer Flynn, gameplay and character wise.

Second this, although I don't believe it's an unpopular opinion to say that Flynn > Yuri gameplaywise for everyone who played the PS3 version. Flynn is similar to Guy who's probably the most favored character to use in Abyss.

• Judith is the worst character gameplaywise in Vesperia (don't think it's unpopular) and my least favorite to use in the entire series yet. (tied with Colette; even worse than Anise)
  • Patty Fleur has the best moveset in the entire Tales of series.
  • Xillia 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Xillia 1
  • One of very few good things in Zestiria was to improve the holy bottle.
  • Symphonia is the hardest Tales of game I've played yet.

One of very few good things in Zestiria was to improve the holy bottle.

Again, in what fandom is this an unpopular opinion? I can see liking Zestiria's story as one. . .or thinking all the characters were well-written. . .or thinking that the battle system is the worst thing to happen to the Tales series.

I think the closest I have to a controversial opinion of Zestiria is that Sorey is the best-written character in the game. And. . .

Jade was completely and utterly disappointing as a cameo, and if the developers were going to be THAT lazy with him, I would rather see someone like Natalia instead. Y'know, anyone but the most interesting guy in Abyss.

Edited by eggclipse

I got another about Pokemon Diamond Pearl :

I know people makesfun of the lack of type diversity, especially with the Fire Elite 4 having mostly non-Fire Type, and woth good reason.

However even if it was for bad reasons, I'm not that much against that idea. As well as I liked Candice and Volkner having one Pokémon with a different type on their team.

It made the battles less straightforward.

Again, in what fandom is this an unpopular opinion? I can see liking Zestiria's story as one. . .or thinking all the characters were well-written. . .or thinking that the battle system is the worst thing to happen to the Tales series.

• One of very few good things in Zestiria was to improve the holy bottle.

I thought this was the part of the unpopular opinion.

If people like me disliked... didn't like much the game, they brought up probably a different positive point than I did.

Atlus is an overrated company and most of the games they churn out are uninspired waifubait

Honestly I have to agree with that... but I also appreciate the fanservice.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Atlus is an overrated company and most of the games they churn out are uninspired waifubait

I agree, but only with P4 and P3. The earlier games are way from that, but I don't want to start the whole SMT vs. Persona crap. It's a stupid argument that can be boiled down to people having differing opinions.

That said, my favorite companies are Level 5 and Tecmo Koei, so I suppose it doesn't really matter to me.

I agree, but only with P4 and P3. The earlier games are way from that, but I don't want to start the whole SMT vs. Persona crap. It's a stupid argument that can be boiled down to people having differing opinions.

It's quite the nasty argument too, I've had to play mediator for a few in the past.

Honestly I have to agree with that... but I also appreciate the fanservice.

Well, Dungeon Travelelers 2 is an excellent game (though it is really inspired waifubait., in this case. ....what.)

Waifubait/fanservice doesn't means bad. Not all stories needs to be deep and dark and stuff to be great.

FFX-2 is still a great game, and it's also choke full of fanservice.

​Not even getting on series where the fanservice is actually meaningfull, like the Monogatari TV series.

-I feel that Atlus is overrated, but for a different reason- the "Atlus Tax" on 3DS games (charging $50 USD for their games on 3DS when everything else is $40 USD, just because they can). People act like they're the savior of the JRPG genre, and then I see them release fanservice hotsprings DLC with "nude" portraits in EOU2. And then there's your run-of-the-mill schlocky out of place fanservice in Persona 3 and 4.

You can be a fan of their games, but acting like they aren't a company devoted first and foremost to making money and miliking their fanbase is deluding yourself.

-I hate the charm system in Monster Hunter. It's almost completely random, and the best sets online always require godly charms. Plus, before the 4th gen the game had individual "charm tables" that it selected whenever you started a new file- meaning that you were being greatly limited the moment you hit "new game".

I also don't want the series to come back to console- it fits the handheld ecosystem much better.

-MGS's story is in an awkward place- at one moment it's not taking itself seriously and the next it's being awkwardly heavy handed. Meaning that even when it takes itself seriously there's still some things that just feel plain goofy (I actually think Rising is intentional self-parody).

-I dislike CoD for the gameplay. "Whoever shoots first wins" isn't fun.

-And the whopper: Shadow of the Colossus is a bad game with a pitifully barren story that it passes of as minimalistic. It nails the atmosphere, but that's it.

General media:

-I seem to be one of the few people on the internet who can be a fan of something and yet maintain criticism of it.

-I feel like the problem with modern anime isn't anime itself but the Japanese market.

-Despite having a lot of criticisms towards it, I enjoy the latter half of Code Geass R2 as much as R1 (though episodes 5-12 can go die in a fire); probably because I've done research and know that everything after episode 4 in R2 was a result of executive screwage.

-RWBY is better without Monty Oum. As much as a lot of people like to shit on Miles and Kerry, we know that some of the biggest writing issues are things that Monty shoehorned in at the last minute and that Miles and Kerry tried to talk him out of (this even extends to the Maidens subplot in Volume 3- the only reason they kept it in was because Monty was "really enthusiastic about including it").

-Bean in Enders' Game, after he got his own books within the series, feels a bit too much like a Gary Stu. His "rival", Achille Flanderes, has shades of Villain Sue- accomplishing things off-screen that we never find out exactly how besides "superior intellect".

-I'm glad that the Tolkien Estate took back the movie rights to LOTR and The Hobbit. The LOTR movies are probably the best that could've been done, but have their issues- The Hobbit movies are hot garbage, despite Martin Freeman being the perfect young Bilbo. When those films were released, Tolkien rolled over in his grave so much he may as well have been breakdancing.

-I feel that Atlus is overrated, but for a different reason- the "Atlus Tax" on 3DS games (charging $50 USD for their games on 3DS when everything else is $40 USD, just because they can). People act like they're the savior of the JRPG genre, and then I see them release fanservice hotsprings DLC with "nude" portraits in EOU2. And then there's your run-of-the-mill schlocky out of place fanservice in Persona 3 and 4.

You can be a fan of their games, but acting like they aren't a company devoted first and foremost to making money and miliking their fanbase is deluding yourself.

General media:

-I seem to be one of the few people on the internet who can be a fan of something and yet maintain criticism of it.

The main reason I'm not really fan of Atlus (I prefer NISA, who published their games before), is that I'm European, and we could as well not exists on their book (but they're OK to take our money, and totally press the companies that makes their games come over here. They makes some good games, honnestly, but I have no attachment towards them whatsoever (since they care about us as much as Sega cares about the West in general.).

And obviously, all companies are out there to makes money. I'm a big fan of Level 5, but themeselves never hide their goal to makes a maximum of money (thought all their games are often high quality, and innovative)

Nah, clearly you're not. Or this thread would have derailed immediately.

But it's true the internet favorize extreme opinions.

...And it's a good way to start debates I know I often uses pretty extreme formulations, to start a discussion.(I love debating. I suck at it, and I don't try to win, (because it's teh best way to lose), but I still find it extremely interresting.)

I mean, I never miss an opinion to dissmiss FFX at every occasion, but I'm the first one to defend Tidus' laugh scene.

​Seriously, it's mmore gratifying to knwo why you have suhc opinion about something than to proves you'e right.

Edited by Tamanoir

-I'm glad that the Tolkien Estate took back the movie rights to LOTR and The Hobbit. The LOTR movies are probably the best that could've been done, but have their issues- The Hobbit movies are hot garbage, despite Martin Freeman being the perfect young Bilbo. When those films were released, Tolkien rolled over in his grave so much he may as well have been breakdancing.

It's really unfortunate, too. The Tolkien Family is a stingy lot, too. So I don't expect anything even closely related to Middle Earth to be hitting store shelves in any capacity for the foreseeable future. I'm neutral about the LoTR movies, but I always felt the book series needed a TV series in some capacity, especially given the depth of the universe. The fight between Gandalf and anything he fights always seems to be way too short in the movies.

It's really unfortunate, too. The Tolkien Family is a stingy lot, too. So I don't expect anything even closely related to Middle Earth to be hitting store shelves in any capacity for the foreseeable future. I'm neutral about the LoTR movies, but I always felt the book series needed a TV series in some capacity, especially given the depth of the universe. The fight between Gandalf and anything he fights always seems to be way too short in the movies.

The thing is, Christopher Tolkien (John's son) hated the LotR movies- but his son (John's grandson) loved them. I really like them; they have some issues, but considering the sheer scope of things there's bound to be some (and I'm actually fine with the removal of Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire- the former serves little purpose and the latter really felt like ending fatigue tinged with anticlimax).

The Hobbit movies (there should never have been three; two, I could've dealt with) were straight cash-ins, bloating what was at it's heart a simple children's story and mucking up the film continuity.

I'm thinking the limited run R-rated version of Battle of Five Armies was the last straw for dear old Christopher, and I can't blame him one bit.

As a huge fan of the LoTR books and movies in general, I do have to say yeah, I agree with the Hobbit movies being completely overbloated.

I still really like the cartoon film adaptation of the Hobbit when it comes to anything adapting that book, and generally yeah the LoTR movies had to cut things and they changed a few things, I still think the trilogy is one of the best book to film adaptations.

Meanwhile I just want something for Terry Brooks Word & Void trilogy be it movies or a short tv series :P: (love those books)

-I feel that Atlus is overrated, but for a different reason- the "Atlus Tax" on 3DS games (charging $50 USD for their games on 3DS when everything else is $40 USD, just because they can).

While this is indeed true, the funny thing is that Atlus does more digital sales on the 3DS than pretty much every other company. Unless you're a "Must get everything Day 1" type of person, you can get nearly their entire library by around half its price if you're willing to wait a bit (and really, there's not much of a reason to be in such a hurry for most of their games).

Most (all?) of Atlus' milking of franchises only happened after it got bought out by Index Holdings and subsequently Sega. I don't think it's particularly bad even now, though.

Edited by Refa

I hate touchscreens, but apparently the rest of the world likes them.... Same thing with motion controls....

Also, I like villain characters, no matter how despicable they are... I'm the type of person that wishes they all could be saved somehow...

I also like games that seem to get poor ratings, and characters that are generally considered weak....