Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

Resident Evil 6 is actually pretty good.

DmC: Devil May Cry is also a pretty good game that I wish some more people would agree with. Instead of hating how it's not really Devil May Cry just look at it for what it is.

Super Mario Sunshine is better than Super Mario Galaxy. Fight me.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resident Evil 6 is actually pretty good.

DmC: Devil May Cry is also a pretty good game that I wish some more people would agree with. Instead of hating how it's not really Devil May Cry just look at it for what it is.

I think RE6 is super fun co-op, just a bit janky at parts.

The main things that bug me with DmC: Devil May Cry is the over abundance of childish swearing, Don'te being an absolute prick and unlikable as a protagonist (That and he's an Angel/Demon) because his humanity is part of what made his character shine in my honest opinion, but as a game goes, it plays pretty well, I love me some hack n slash action, its just the characters bug me as they are supposed to be send ups to the original games, and they don't even remotely feel like it, in terms of either gameplay or story wise.

Not that such an opinion should go here anyway, since it specifically says "besides Fire Emblem" in the title. On Serenes it seems as if the majority prefer the older games anyway, so it's certainly not an unpopular opinion here.

While this is in the FE thread, I felt there i'd get massively attacked by saying what I did in terms of 13 (That being, I think the other games did stuff it did better. But I forgot to mention I still think its a good game).

13/14 newcomers are becoming the majority (if they aren't already, and I don't mind that either) so I'm not even sure how long the "older" games being preferred, if that's even true, will last, but thats all I'll say in terms of FE here, I just felt it was a good way to piggyback off what I said there haha.

While this is in the FE thread, I felt there i'd get massively attacked by saying what I did in terms of 13 (That being, I think the other games did stuff it did better. But I forgot to mention I still think its a good game).

13/14 newcomers are becoming the majority (if they aren't already, and I don't mind that either) so I'm not even sure how long the "older" games being preferred, if that's even true, will last, but thats all I'll say in terms of FE here, I just felt it was a good way to piggyback off what I said there haha.

You can get attacked for any opinion, especially when it comes to potentially stepping on the toes of some people's favorite games. However, at least on Serenes, insulting Awakening and Fates - the latter of which I, as you already know, take way too much pleasure in talking about - is incredibly commonplace, while older games are not nearly as criticized, and many people defending them can always hide behind the fact that "at least it's not so anime".

I think Blazing Sword has a story that's not much better than Fates, which is the worst written game I've ever played, and that Gaiden is hardly a strategy game due to the sheer amount of RNG in that game coupled with an A.I that can, but sometimes randomly decides not to, kill off your weaker units with Witches without you being able to do anything about it due to their teleportation ability.

What I mean to say is you can criticize anything, and people can defend it as they please, but it seems to pretty much be an expectation to dislike Awakening and Fates to be taken seriously as a fan, which is definitely not the way to get newer fans invested in older titles. I also think splitting the fanbase up into old and new is a gross simplification, as I got into the series with Awakening, have played a lot of the older titles including the first and the second game while I can't stand Fates, and I doubt I'm alone in that regard.

Edited by Thane

Time for some Mario ones.

I never ever had a problem with Sunshine. I was even surprised to hear much later that it had received very mixed receptions. It was just awesome for me from start to finish.

I strongly dislike the Mario boss Boom boom. He has all the problems of the Koopalings without any of the charm that makes me willing to give the Koopalings a free pass. He's just a boring space waster to me.

On the other hand I'm a big fan of putting the Koopalings in rpg's. They are outliving their welcome in the NSMB series where a lot can't be done with them but in an rpg they can go to town with their wacky personalities.

The grass to Fire world routine should be dropped almost completely for a while. Its starting to get very stale.

Been thinking of some more.

-I think Mario Galaxy is one of the worst Mario games, I think the level design is bad and uncreative, Mario Galaxy 2 did everything much better.

-Having likeable characters should be prioritized more over plot.

-Persona 4's writing is really bad, bar some of the writing focused on the characters.

-I don't like Starfox games.

-Mario Sunshine is designed amazingly well, except the blue coins.

-I think Mario Galaxy is one of the worst Mario games, I think the level design is bad and uncreative, Mario Galaxy 2 did everything much better.

I thought Galaxy 1 barely edged out Galaxy 2. What is this "uncreative" you're talking about?

I thought Galaxy 1 barely edged out Galaxy 2. What is this "uncreative" you're talking about?

The world's just aren't very interesting for me to play.

Everything seems very basic and lackluster in my eyes, there really isn't much of a challenge, or even a flow to most of the levels, I feel. 2's worlds are smaller but I feel like there's a premise there for each level, and most work well, I just don't really feel anything when playing 1, it just feels dull and empty and uninspired.

1. FF7 is deserving of its praise. (What do you mean I haven't played it?)

2. Super Mario Maker and others should have hit the 3DS at the same the Wii U versions came out.

3. Pokemon should have either multiple save files or New Game+

4. I'd like to see an official FE map editor.

5. Okami on Wii U VC/Amaterasu in Smash when?

6. PS All-Stars should have Crash and Spyro if it wants to call itself the Smash Bros. for PlayStation.

Cool, I was just curious to hear your thoughts since your opinion on Earthbound Beginnings was pretty interesting and it's a type of final boss that you don't really see anywhere (except in Earthbound Beginnings amirite). I think you bring up a lot of good points! It's pretty cool how much thought went into the fight.

What are your grievances with how he included their roles in the story though? Again, this isn't really something I've put too much (any?) thought into, so it'd be cool to hear another perspective.

My grievances mainly stem from the fact that, as somebody who played the series in order rather than starting with EarthBound, I felt that EarthBound Beginnings built up the aliens to potentially be something more nuanced and fleshed-out than just your standard evil "out to conquer/destroy the world for vague/unstated reasons" villain faction, and then in EarthBound, Giygas is... out to destroy the world for unstated reasons. Granted, you can kinda infer his motivation from EarthBound Beginnings, but I still would've really liked to see and learn more of his faction. Aside from the "...strikes back!!" in the Japanese title, it feels like almost all of what the first game established about the aliens, including George and Maria in their entirety, just drops off the face of the plot in EarthBound, aside from a few recurring enemy types and modes of operation as an organization. It's something I find especially frustrating considering Mother 3 does the exact opposite for Porky, fleshing him out more as a character and having definite continuity from EarthBound.

I do realize that the notion that Giegue and his faction having been built up to be something more nuanced is at least partly colored by my own personal interpretation of things and isn't necessarily objective, but that was still frustrating for me. I definitely like the MOTHER series overall, though; that's honestly my only major gripe with it.

Edited by Topaz Light

You can get attacked for any opinion, especially when it comes to potentially stepping on the toes of some people's favorite games. However, at least on Serenes, insulting Awakening and Fates - the latter of which I, as you already know, take way too much pleasure in talking about - is incredibly commonplace, while older games are not nearly as criticized, and many people defending them can always hide behind the fact that "at least it's not so anime".

I think Blazing Sword has a story that's not much better than Fates, which is the worst written game I've ever played, and that Gaiden is hardly a strategy game due to the sheer amount of RNG in that game coupled with an A.I that can, but sometimes randomly decides not to, kill off your weaker units with Witches without you being able to do anything about it due to their teleportation ability.

What I mean to say is you can criticize anything, and people can defend it as they please, but it seems to pretty much be an expectation to dislike Awakening and Fates to be taken seriously as a fan, which is definitely not the way to get newer fans invested in older titles. I also think splitting the fanbase up into old and new is a gross simplification, as I got into the series with Awakening, have played a lot of the older titles including the first and the second game while I can't stand Fates, and I doubt I'm alone in that regard.

Yeah and I didn't mean to come off as harshly as I did in the other thread, apologies if I did.

Witches are kind of weird whenever they are an enemy in other games too, like Tearring Saga which Kaga made for the PS1 after he left IS, they only have 3 movement but free range warp and they will occasionally strike you insanely hard or just, wander off, its almost like they are purposefully not programmed to be smart for anti-frustration purposes.

Sadly you might be right about disliking Awakening/Fates to be considered more seriously as a fan, which is unfortunate as they pushed the Series to be more successful, whatever gripes I have with them, I still really enjoy them and the rest of the series, something I like about FE (Which actually goes into something I like about Final Fantasy so thats my unpopular opinion coming up).

Something I adore with both FE and FF is how different each title is from the last (if not visually then Mechanically), well usually anyways, it makes each title stand out more on their own, and its cool to compare mechanics between games for me.

Edited by Jedi

I think EO3 is more underrated than disliked. I have seen some bufs against EOIV, ans lots of complaints about the two EOU (especailly EOU1).

Btw, I found them quite good, and Frederica was a perfectly fine character. I had some problem with Claret Hollows, but otherwise I liked a lot of things EOU1 brought to the table. The Hero was the occasion of having an interresting new class. EOU2 took everything EOU1 brought and made it better, making Grimoire far better.

I know EO3 is the one that interrest me the most, and it's on my backlog from quite a long time. One day, I'll se what's above the 1st Stratum.

ANd it's the one who introduced Subclassing, which is quite popular amongst many people.

My main complaint about the Untold games (particularly Untold 2) is that almost all the bosses require strict memorization of their attack patterns so you don't get party wiped by a cheap attack.

My main complaint about the Untold games (particularly Untold 2) is that almost all the bosses require strict memorization of their attack patterns so you don't get party wiped by a cheap attack.

That's every EO ever, especially postgame bosses.

6 Fire Emblem characters in Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS wasn't a problem at all and actually a good number of characters for the series, it could even have one or two more and be fine.

Bowser's Inside Story is the best of the Mario & Luigi RPG games (dunno how unpopular this is, but I generally see more love for Superstar Saga and Partners in Time).

Animal Crossing is boring.

6 Fire Emblem characters in Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS wasn't a problem at all and actually a good number of characters for the series, it could even have one or two more and be fine.

Bowser's Inside Story is the best of the Mario & Luigi RPG games (dunno how unpopular this is, but I generally see more love for Superstar Saga and Partners in Time).

Animal Crossing is boring.

The second one definitely isn't unpopular. The series most unpopular entry is actually Partners in Time for how linear it is and replacing BP with item based specials, so now that I think about it.

-Partners in Time is my favorite Mario RPG.

Bowser's Inside Story I'd have pegged for the most popular in the series; it certainly is in the circles I move in. Because Bowser is awesome. The biggest problem in the M&L games is that Mario and Luigi themselves are silent and rather dull most of the time (though Luigi does manage to be amusing), so a main character with an awesome personality (even if only for about half the time) is a breath of fresh air. Also it shakes up the gameplay in a good way; I find that M&L games often wear thing but BIS distributing things between the two battle styles was enough to hold my attention to the end.

Do you mind if I ask why you think so?

If I had to describe an RPG I expect I would despise, it would have the following:

-uncontrollable allies in a battle system which has no excuse for it (e.g. action RPGs and FFXIII get a pass here, DQ4 NES and P3 do not)

-randomly generated dungeons

-a silent main

-a main (silent or otherwise) who interacts one-on-one with other characters in a very pandery way in which they tell him how awesome he is constantly, because he's you! Sadly this one seems to have gotten more common in recent years, in both JRPGs and WRPGs.

-a battle system which punishes you for taking a critical hit, and gives you no way to control those (I loathed this in DDS too, though DDS didn't have P3's other battle system flaws)

-main character death = game over

-an awful regular battle theme (subjective, I know, but obviously a big factor)

I'm not terribly enamoured with the SMT battle system at base (though they often do pretty good battle design within said system) and really did not like the school setting at all, so the game really had nothing going positive for me, and a heck of a lot that was negative.

Wind Waker is horseshit and one of the worse video games i've ever played

While Nocturne is great, SMT IV is better than it. SMT IV's story is fantastic, while Nocturne's is too simplistic for my liking.

Skyward Sword is a fantastic game.

SM64 aged really well.

The N64 was mediocre (and it was my first home console!!). It only had 3 games i consider great (mario 64 and both zeldas).

Handhelds >>>> consoles. I don't mean software wise (though i absolutely love the gba's, ds's and 3ds's libraries), but like, way of playing. I prefer playing games on handhelds than on consoles.

Sony absolutely deserves their sucess when it comes to home consoles, and nintendo more than absolutely deserves their failures, specially the Wii U (which is a console i actually like)

FF3 is the best FF

Smash is boring outside of local multiplayer.

Pokemon XY and RSE are fantastic, but ORAS is boring. It basically made me stop wanting remakes of games i like.

The second half of Bravely Default was not bad

The first Mario Galaxy was a really, really, really great game. The second one bored me to tears

Xenoblade X is as good as the first Xenoblade.

Edited by Nooooooooooooooooooooobody

FF3 is the best FF

Of the two I played a bit of, I liked 3 way more than 6.

Also I'm pretty sure the first Mario Galexy is one of the most popular Mario platformers of all time so liking it isn't exactly unpopular.

Of the two I played a bit of, I liked 3 way more than 6.Also I'm pretty sure the first Mario Galexy is one of the most popular Mario platformers of all time so liking it isn't exactly unpopular.

I've played 3, 4, 5, 6 and 12. I liked them all, but 3 was just my favorite

Yeah, i agree. That was just sort of an introduction to the actual unpopular opinion, that i think the second galaxy game is really boring haha

The first Mario Galaxy was a really, really, really great game. The second one bored me to tears

But Galaxy 2 is a level pack for Galaxy 1, which is exactly what I wanted! I don't get it - !

If I give you two nearly identical breakfast sandwiches, you can't love one and hate the other. The world simply doesn't work like that.

I'd hate one that adds mushrooms, with that being the only difference and everything else on the sandwich being things I like. The sandwiches are nearly identical, but I still only like one!