Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

This topic is a lot better, now that it's moved beyond bickering. I can tell a lot about the people that post in it, just by reading what they posted.

Anyway. . .I'd rather have a well-executed simple story in my RPGs, rather than one that tries to incorporate too many twists. For example, Final Fantasy 6 doesn't try to introduce a twist at every plot point. As a result, those twists that do exist have more impact. Final Fantasy 13, on the other hand. . .hoo boy. Much as I adore that arc, there's just too much going on!

Edited by eggclipse

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few more that came to mind:

When it comes to SNES Final Fantasy's, I prefer Final Fantasy V over IV and VI

Even if the story is not as good as VI's, i just find V more fun over both of them

Persona 2, both of them, are the best games in the Persona series

i don't remember if this is that unpopular, but apparently Etrian Odyssey 3 is the least liked between the original three?

Sad, it's my favorite

Undertale is the biggest overrated waste i've seen in a while and I fail to understand why it got it's much love

It's music is great, but it's self righteous way it handles it's morale and the fact the gameplay and in game story really is nothing that special just confuses me more why it got so popular.

Edited by Trisitei

I love Rival Schools, but that's at least 60% because Bahn is amazing.

Despite my avatar, my favorite character is actually Roberto. And Tiffany, despite her jigglies. I just love her finishers so much. Also Roy, because he is what I think Miles Edgeworth and Terry Bogard's love child would be.

- I actually don't think Mario is that great, though I will say I love the hell out of Luigi's Mansion.

- I actually thought the rap music for Knuckles' stages in SA2 was pretty catchy (albeit very cheesy). Pumpkin Hill and Death Chamber are two of my favorites.

- I actually think the cast of P3 is better developed than the cast of P4. This is mostly because the character development of the Investigation Team is locked to the entirely optional Social Links that have no bearing on the main story line and there are no third person cut scenes (i.e. scenes away from the MC) that expand upon the characters, like P3 had with SEES.

- I don't think Naoto is that great of a character in P4.

[spoiler=P4 spoilers about Naoto]She comes way too late in-game and her arc felt too rushed and tacked on, in my opinion. I also felt that her entire premise was dropped just to make her into a love interest. Particularly, what bothers me is the "Lover Flag" options one has to choose in order to even be able to date her. While her issues are less being uncomfortable in the body she was born in and more about being seen as a competent detective in a male-dominated occupation, I honestly think she embraced her femininity a little too quickly—or, at least, she shouldn't have done it at the request of some teenager dude she just met a couple of months (week?) ago.

- The girl protagonist from P3P should have been the definitive one. I love Minato thats his name dammit, but the girl protagonist should have been canon.

I love Undertale but I am utterly baffled by San's popularity. I like him, but Jesus Christ I can't believe how massive he's gotten.

Five Nights at Freddy's is one of the most overrated series ever (not the unpopular part) but I genuinely enjoyed the third game.

I thought Silent Hill Homecoming was okay.

David Cage is a hack and kind of sexist.

Any of the ninjas in Dead or Alive not named "Momiji" or "Kasumi" has no meaning to me.

I don't think Smash has a good reason to be in Evo. Especially the fans who show up there being rude as they are.

I agree with this. As lackluster as Dragon Age 2 was for the reuse of environments and rather spotty quality in terms of graphic choice and animations at least I didn't feel like the game was just flat out wasting my time by having me trek across huge mountain passes. It's also the reason that I have a huge problem even really trying to play Skyrim. The game just feels like a chore to me, even with all of the bells an whistles to make traveling easier. And yeah, the only game's story that I actually truly like is KOTOR, and I'm not sure if it's my bias for Star Wars or it just actually is that much better than everything else they've written. Even stuff like The Banner Saga, as interesting as it is, it's kind of a mess and I'm not entirely sure what's going on -- granted the characters don't either, but still, if it's supposed to be a trilogy, the third one has a lot of work to do.

Dragon Age 2 is just a game about being a janitor stuck in a gray cube. It's a thoroughly unremarkable game with a surprisingly unlikeable cast aside from Varric (which is most likely why he's the only one to appear in Inquisition), but that's not an unpopular opinion so I shan't go into further detail.

Dragon Age: Inquisition, on the other hand, won a lot of awards and was praised by so many people. It tries to be epic and enormous, yet its gameplay is repetitive and bland, and the story is just all over the place. In typical Bioware fashion, you go to a few random places and deal with the problem that has been plaguing the area for X amount of time, solving it in an afternoon. After repeating this process a few times the final boss suddenly rushes up to you and your entire army, alone I might add, and dies, ending the game and the hopes of any semblence of coherency.

I think the best example of the writing just being a big fat failure is the Orlasian masquerade in which you show up since you know there's an assassination plot in the works, targetting the empress, and...you can just let it happen and let someone else be in charge. You're given no reason for this, you don't get to talk to or about these characters nearly enough and it doesn't even affect the gameplay; your spymaster pretty much just says "ooor...we could let the assassination take place; that won't destabilize the world's most powerful nation in this time of crisis!".

While Bioware's writing is incredibly formulaic, there's an almost childish element to Inquisition in how they try to write an epic fantasy journey including the entire without nearly enough knowledge of how to go about it or of how politics work. At all.

I actually rather like Knights of the Old Republic, especially for its lore, cast and worldbuilding (Bioware's strengths - also, let's not forget the Sith Academy), but its plot is just a rehash of Star Wars, and I'm not the biggest fan of that series in the first place . Compare it to its sequel written by Obsidian, which just takes the entire franchise and deconstructs it and offers a completely fresh take on it, all while introducing one of the best characters in gaming.

Edited by Thane

I thought Kid Icarus!Hades was hilarious while still being despicable.

I think Hades is a really cool character for it.

At times I think Hades being hilarious actually enhances him being despicable. At one point Hades says ''Oh I never thought about it'' when Pit calls him out on his crimes. Its likely that Hades wasn't just being funny but that he really never stopped to give a second thought to all the lives he is ruining.

PC gaming is more accepted as a viable alternative these days but I still have a deep distrust towards it. For me PC gaming is a necessary evil that is always ready to backfire. I've been burned to many times before.

Its also not at all consistent what works and what doesn't. I can run Shogun II total war just fine but FFIX, the only barely upgraded port of a decade old PS1 game keeps crashing or starting without sound.

I'm neutral on Tales of Symphonia 2. I'm not a fan but I also think the game is perfectly fine. The problem it has is that perfectly fine is a noticeable downgrade compared to the near perfect game that came before it. My unpopular opinion on it is that I actually quite like Emil and Marta. I see why people would find them annoying but I think their specific kinds of annoying go very nicely together.

I'm neutral on Tales of Symphonia 2. I'm not a fan but I also think the game is perfectly fine. The problem it has is that perfectly fine is a noticeable downgrade compared to the near perfect game that came before it. My unpopular opinion on it is that I actually quite like Emil and Marta. I see why people would find them annoying but I think their specific kinds of annoying go very nicely together.

What personally bugged me the most about Symphonia 2 was the fact that Emil and Marta + Monsters could level up to really high levels and the original games cast had a stupidly low cap.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I actually like the plot to an extent, because its interesting to see how Lloyd's ambitions went after he successfully (gonna put in spoilers just in case)

Merged the two worlds.

Edited by Jedi

I don't think Smash has a good reason to be in Evo. Especially the fans who show up there being rude as they are.

I don't agree with you there, because the smash scene has a pretty convincing reason, and it is money. The 2 games almost never overlap its players and over 2k-3k people go to evo just for Smash, so the TOs will never let that income go away. Last year Melee was the most watched event on stream during EVO, which is pretty insane. It's all about that sweet sweet revenue that Mr Wizard will always be looking for.

On the fans topic, I guess you're right? Though in my experience all FGC fans can be rude, I've been to Killer Instinct tourneys and unfortunately there are assholes in every community :/

Edited by Spinal

I don't think this one is that unpopular? FF6, FF7, and FFX are all dramatically more popular games, FF8-9 probably are too despite the detractors each has, and I feel like FF4 is even falling behind FF5 these days as Four Job Fiesta keeps the latter more relevant. I dunno.

I mean, from what I've seen, at least around me, FF4 is heavily loved and praised, so it might be some bias, since I know a lot more people that like it, but I still think it was a bit overly praised, I used to adore it, but it kind of fell on me as time went on, so, I'm not entirely sure.

I guess I'll throw some more in.

-Tales of Symphonia is a pretty mediocre game in the franchise, imo, not bad, just, a bit underwhelming.

-Tales of Zestiria's cast is amazing, and interact well with each other. (Not really sure if this is unpopular, I see more people disliking the cast than not.)

-I have never really been very into Pokemon, it's kind of boring for me.

-Although I HATE FF3, I do like the cast they put in the DS version.

-Twilight Princess is an underrated game.

-I haven't played it, but reading up on it, I don't really like the changes to the 3ds version of Majora's Mask from what I've heard and seen.

-Tales of Phantasia is great.

Not the first time I've seen this, Toriyama's art style is quite hit & miss with a number of people, I'm so used to Dragon Ball that its just like "Oh sameish faces" and I move past it myself though, I think his monster designs are really rad though, as seen in Trigger & Dragon Quest.

Can fully get, "not liking it" though.

That's also an issue I have with his style. Every character looks the same.

Most DQ protagonists look like Gohan or have SSJ hair, most girls look like Bulma or Android #18, most young children look like Kid Goten/Gohan. It is silly.

[spoiler=DQ V cover]

dragon_quest_v_hand_of_the_heavenly_brid

Especially on DQ V, where the MC's kid looks like SSJ2 Teen Gohan, one of the MC's possible wives looks like #18, there's a prince of a country who looks exactly like adult Trunks, and the MC himself looks like Kid Gohan at the start of the game.

I like his style, but I admit it is silly.

--

As for unpopular opinions, well, I can't get into Touhou at all, for motives ranged from excuse plots/excuse motives for battles (most battles on the beginning of the games are more of a matter of seriously bad communication skills and/or holding the stupid ball), the Bullet Hell genre not being all that impressive to me (hi, Fake Difficulty) or new (although I'm not sure if Touhou was the first game to introduce the Bullet Hell genre), the characters' actions are nonsensical or whimsical most of the time (which often is the main reason for conflict in the series)... and that's what I remember about my issues with it, as it's been years that I haven't played any game from that series.

As for a more personal thing, as much as I like Touhou's ost, I dislike zunpets. And the fighting games are fun, tbh, although they suffer from all of the above elements (everything started because of a character's whimsical actions, and most battles occur because of bad communication skills and/or holding the stupid ball).

--

I don't really like Megaman X5, mainly because of its easy difficulty, level design and average bosses. I wouldn't call it a bad game (like X7, which seems horrible), but it is lackluster for a Megaman X game.

- Its difficulty is absurdly easy even on Hard mode (it's arguably one of the easiest games in the franchise);

- Some parts of the stages are copied from X4 pretending to be original through color palette swap (the train stage and Mattrex's/lava stage, for example). That wouldn't be such a problem if they also did not seem like sections from X4's stages (again, the train stage, and the laboratory stage on the area with the stairways in particular, which are identical to Split Mushroom, a X4 boss' stairway section).

- The level design is bland (Duff McWhalen's stage is horribly slow due to the fact that you can only move forward when the automatic camera scrolls forward, and there's that ship sub-boss that is as horrible as the metal donuts sub-bosses from Megaman X6) or excessively gimmicky (Squid Adler's lasers, The Skiver's bombs).

- Heart tanks (and e-tanks iirc) collected throughout the stage can only be given to one of the two playable characters, which means the other character you might want to play as will be on a serious disadvantage later on;

- Speaking about that, there is a random chance that you might lose one of those player characters through a plot device (you can influence it a bit to lower the chances that it might go wrong, but it is never 100% accurate). All the heart tanks you gave to them will be lost in the proccess, and your effort will go to waste. Good luck getting through the first post-mavericks stage when that happens, especially because the boss of that stage is as hard (one of the only hard bosses in the game) as Yellow Devil.

Edited by Rapier

DQ's character designs started to become less spiky hair/Dragon Ball like from 7 on imo. 6 had it the worst for obvious reasons (that game's protagonist could use his hair as a weapon basically).

Like there are some remnants in character customization, but for the most part the hairstyles have been decently sensible since.

Unless we're mostly talking about faces in which case yeah Toriyama isn't the best at variety.

More opinions:

- Other M was pretty good. Say what you will about Samus's PTSD, but looking at Zero Mission, she wasn't exactly calm when the original Ridley swooped down at her in Norfair.

- We don't really need another Metroid game. Anything between Prime 3 and Return of Samus would feel like filler, anything before Zero Mission might compromise the story, and Dread was obviously not seen as a good idea by Nintendo if it was scrapped. Also, it seems to cater too much to the West, and for Nintendo, that isn't really a good thing.

- Even though I really like a lot of things about Skyrim, the inherent clunkiness of Oblivion is still kinda charming, almost like KOTOR to Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

- Forced losses are always contrived, especially in turn-based RPGs.

- A Link to the Past isn't as good as later games, mostly because of it's difficulty being less than that of the NES titles, but still very difficult.

-Pokemon Gen II has aged well compared to it's forerunner.

- Minecraft is boring if you don't have any particular goal in mind when you play it. The game isn't bad, but you have to know what you want to do if you don't want to get lost and end up turning it off.

• I don't like Tales of Symphonia either. The 2D graphic in the battles feels clunky to me and I don't like the artstyle.

• Dragon Quest's gameplay is more interesting than Final Fantasy's tbh.

Gamecube controller > Wii-mote...with one exception: FE10! Playing FE10 with the Wii-mote is one of the most comfortable things for me.

Random encounters in RPGs should vanish once for all.

SMT spinoffs > SMT main parts

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

- Other M was pretty good. Say what you will about Samus's PTSD, but looking at Zero Mission, she wasn't exactly calm when the original Ridley swooped down at her in Norfair.

- We don't really need another Metroid game. Anything between Prime 3 and Return of Samus would feel like filler, anything before Zero Mission might compromise the story, and Dread was obviously not seen as a good idea by Nintendo if it was scrapped. Also, it seems to cater too much to the West, and for Nintendo, that isn't really a good thing.

Except Zero Mission was at the beginning of the timeline, and she's fought and owned Ridley several times before Other M.

Catering to the West is a lot better, man. There's way more money to be made for obvious reasons (way more people existing).

- Speaking about that, there is a random chance that you might lose one of those player characters through a plot device (you can influence it a bit to lower the chances that it might go wrong, but it is never 100% accurate). All the heart tanks you gave to them will be lost in the proccess, and your effort will go to waste. Good luck getting through the first post-mavericks stage when that happens, especially because the boss of that stage is as hard (one of the only hard bosses in the game) as Yellow Devil.

In my opinion, Shadow Devil is way harder than Yellow Devil, mainly since his attacks are completely random and can insta-kill you. Unless X is wearing the Gaea Armor, in which case the boss is laughably easy to beat (or you have a lot of patience mashing the jump button for extended periods of time). But I never thought that it is as hard as the Yellow Devil (basically Shadow Devil is either too easy or too hard, but never in the middle)

I do agree with you in that the Mavericks are pretty easy, though I think the ones in the original MMX are easier.

Toriyama is better with monster designs than with Human designs, honnestly. I will always praise the simplicity of smiles (anagram of Smile ;)), and they are a big part of DQ appeal (DQM is a good proof of that.)

-Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is an excellent game, and,in genenral, is a better Persona game than most Persona games. (except the absence of Social Links, maybe...). The story is actually surprisingly good.

- I actually think the cast of P3 is better developed than the cast of P4. This is mostly because the character development of the Investigation Team is locked to the entirely optional Social Links that have no bearing on the main story line and there are no third person cut scenes (i.e. scenes away from the MC) that expand upon the characters, like P3 had with SEES.

- The girl protagonist from P3P should have been the definitive one. I love Minato thats his name dammit, but the girl protagonist should have been canon.

-I think a girk protagonist should have been included in every game. They are the prefect games for this. P3P proved it.

P5 not having a girl option is the reason why I have no interest towards the game. (That, and these games are ultimately no for me.)

The fact that Danger Zone is such an amazing music also palyas a role (and Sun is damn cool as well.)

About Persona in general (P3, P4, PQ more precisely) :

I feel they would have been better without the dungeon part. In P3, it's the reason I haven't finished the game (because I need to inish that stupid dungeon before continuing, but it just feel the same as grinding : needless boring padding.). The dungeons aen't that fun usually, tbh. Persona 2 seems better at this, from what I've seen, but especially P3 is awfull at it.

The battle system is great, but it's based around exploiting ennemies weakness, but a lot of endgame ennemies (including bosses) don't have any weaknesses. Do I need to explain why this is a bad design choice?

-The difficulty setting is the stupidest I've ever sen, for a simple reason : More Exp in easier mode. That's so stupidly unbalanced, and there are zero reason to play any mode other than the easiest ones.

-The other reason is with SMT games in general, and is more personal. Those games requires to often fuse monsters, adn I prefr to max them out before ding so, which maks my live harder. I place this differently, because it isn't really bad game design.

-And since I evoked this before : Bosses battles should be here to text your skills. Seeing how well you control the battle system, or being hre to teach you new things about the game system. Suppressing common ways of fighting through the games (by making hem impervious to status effects, debuffs, Something FF is often guilty of)) just makes them more boring, and a chore more than a test of skills.

Mine: (Video games)

Skyward Sword isn't that bad

Chrono Trigger isn't the god of video games

LoZ is kinda boring

OoT is VERY boring and I had about 1 fun moment in the whole game

Sonic and the Black Knight isn't that bad and was quite fun.

Mario games have been declining in the fun factor and fast over the past few years.

SSBM is boring to play and seeing the same like 5 characters in competitive is really boring.

Xenoblade and the other RPGs where everything has like +100k health are so boring at face value I don't want to play them.

Mario party is boring and sucks now that it's promoting teamwork.

(General)

Overleveling and grinding when optional is fine and I tend to do it often (mostly by coincidence), but when forced it sucks.

I play things on normal mode, and people who think that you should judge a game's difficulty based on their hardmode is dumb. A, "You play on anything less than hardmode means you're a baby and you hate challenge" way of thinking is infuriating and makes you sound like a douche.

Console vs. PC debate is dumb, just play yer games.

Bosses and areas in game that make you go through trial and error in order to make it is generally just poor design

Platforming games are not very fun

Hm...

-Diamond and Pearl are not unbearably slow besides the Surf speed. They're definitely slow, but not too slow to where I can't play them.

-Pokemon Gen 2 is extremely overrated.

-Zelda doesn't need more Smash reps until we get more reoccurring characters, or a new game is launching at the same time as or during the next Smash's lifespan.

-Any form of graphics can look good if the style is good.

-Skyward Sword's controls aren't tough to use at all and the game is extremely fun.

-RWBY Volume 4 has literally 0 hype behind it. (This counts as media, right?)

-People overreacted the hell out of Sonic Boom's existence. It's a spin-off, not part of the main series. It's like Sonic Chronicles, bad but not anything to worry about regarding Sonic Team's ability. It doesn't count as "Sonic going downhill again".

-Arin Hanson's opinions on modern video gaming has absolutely no meaning anymore.

Edited by TrueEm

On the fans topic, I guess you're right? Though in my experience all FGC fans can be rude, I've been to Killer Instinct tourneys and unfortunately there are assholes in every community :/

Yeah, but on the other hand, the Killer Instinct people aren't as bad as the Smash players arguably.

They didn't boo players of their own game, they don't tear down and steal spots from people who had spots reserved (ripped up a Team Ninja backed DOA5 side tournament, didn't even ask, in order to play free for all casuals), and several instances of players in general being pretty rotten with their attitudes (saying how much they don't care about Guilty Gear despite taking up seats to watch it). The only thing I can't exactly blame them on was the "booing Guilty Gear" they did due to the announcer. Despite that, it was poorly timed and only served to make them look worse. Not a good idea.

I have no problems with Smash being there because it's Smash. I have problems with it because the players are a special type of disrespectful. I think they should be kicked out until they get themselves sorted. Melee may have been a bit... elitist, but the older players/veterans wouldn't pull this type of stuff. It's the influx of new players and kids. Unless they get this stuff sorted out they're going to be disliked by the FGC for a long time, and that's not good for anyone.

-Arin Hanson's opinions on modern video gaming has absolutely no meaning anymore.

This is definitely unpopular, but I'm not saying that I think he's relevant. Aside from some funny jokes, Egoraptor has little relevance in accordance with modern YouTube gaming.

Not really a gaming opinion, but related to it:

I prefer the Runway Guys over Game Grumps.

I usually don't do rants but:

If I may ask something why are Game Grumps so popular? I watched their videos, and it's so frustrating to watch them. They barely pay attention to the game and when they make a mistake on the game, because they weren't paying attention, they actually blame the game, and say it's bad design.

And when I watched the Zelda Sequelitis video, I was dumbfounded. Was Arin just looking for an excuse to bash on Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword?

Sorry if I'm ranting and I don't mean to bash, but seriously, why are they so popular

Sorry, it's just something that always bothered me.

Relating to that- I don't get why PewDiePie is so popular? I'll admit that he seems like a nice guy, but his videos are too loud and obnoxious in my opinion.

I haven't watched the Game Grumps, but they don't seem like my cup of tea either.

i don't remember if this is that unpopular, but apparently Etrian Odyssey 3 is the least liked between the original three?

Sad, it's my favorite

I think EO3 is more underrated than disliked. I have seen some bufs against EOIV, ans lots of complaints about the two EOU (especailly EOU1).

Btw, I found them quite good, and Frederica was a perfectly fine character. I had some problem with Claret Hollows, but otherwise I liked a lot of things EOU1 brought to the table. The Hero was the occasion of having an interresting new class. EOU2 took everything EOU1 brought and made it better, making Grimoire far better.

I know EO3 is the one that interrest me the most, and it's on my backlog from quite a long time. One day, I'll se what's above the 1st Stratum.

ANd it's the one who introduced Subclassing, which is quite popular amongst many people.

Dragon Age 2 is just a game about being a janitor stuck in a gray cube. It's a thoroughly unremarkable game with a surprisingly unlikeable cast aside from Varric (which is most likely why he's the only one to appear in Inquisition), but that's not an unpopular opinion so I shan't go into further detail.

Dragon Age: Inquisition, on the other hand, won a lot of awards and was praised by so many people. It tries to be epic and enormous, yet its gameplay is repetitive and bland, and the story is just all over the place. In typical Bioware fashion, you go to a few random places and deal with the problem that has been plaguing the area for X amount of time, solving it in an afternoon. After repeating this process a few times the final boss suddenly rushes up to you and your entire army, alone I might add, and dies, ending the game and the hopes of any semblence of coherency.

I think the best example of the writing just being a big fat failure is the Orlasian masquerade in which you show up since you know there's an assassination plot in the works, targetting the empress, and...you can just let it happen and let someone else be in charge. You're given no reason for this, you don't get to talk to or about these characters nearly enough and it doesn't even affect the gameplay; your spymaster pretty much just says "ooor...we could let the assassination take place; that won't destabilize the world's most powerful nation in this time of crisis!".

While Bioware's writing is incredibly formulaic, there's an almost childish element to Inquisition in how they try to write an epic fantasy journey including the entire without nearly enough knowledge of how to go about it or of how politics work. At all.

I actually rather like Knights of the Old Republic, especially for its lore, cast and worldbuilding (Bioware's strengths - also, let's not forget the Sith Academy), but its plot is just a rehash of Star Wars, and I'm not the biggest fan of that series in the first place . Compare it to its sequel written by Obsidian, which just takes the entire franchise and deconstructs it and offers a completely fresh take on it, all while introducing one of the best characters in gaming

I can agree with this. Especially KOTOR2, I like the whole concept of it so much more... Incidentally, I just think it's a plain better game than KOTOR1. DA:I has a good base of a concept, but just feels messy in execution IMO.