Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

Not entirely unpopular but uncommon I guess?

Usually the most loved are Joseph Joestar (especially in the west) and Jotaro Kujo (in Japan.)

Oh, I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but Jolyne Kujo is one of the best Jojos in the series. fight me

Gonna address the dio part: this actually is becoming slowly more popular (that Dio isn't that great of a villain) as more parts are revealed.

I won't lie, I still like Dio, but Yoshikage Kira is easily way more interesting then Dio will ever be.

i don't think they were expressing an unpopular opinion, but rather, were responding to the earlier post made saying that they liked jotaro's the most

although joseph is definitely the fan favorite in america, there are people who love every jojo

hell the two you mentioned, jonathan and giorno, are probably the only ones that not too many people love

also i don't think anyone finds dio an interesting character people just love him because he's a crazy evil guy and that makes him fun

Good, I was right then.

I wasn't expressing an unpopular opinion, you are correct. Sort of. I just kind of mentioned it because I remembered that I didn't see many (vocal) fans of Josuke; mostly only Joseph and Jotaro. I just wanted to give my man Josuke some love. Also, I can testify that no one ever mentions Johnathan. It's sad too because he was essentially the founding JoJo. he is essentially what persona 1 and 2 is to the persona series lol

I would also like to mention (even though everyone probably already knows) that JoJo #2 was briefly married to two dudes. I found a pretty humorous manga about him struggling over who he wanted to be with.

I see!

In this case, I apologize for this misunderstanding.

Also, I agree with Dio being at his "best" on part 1, if only because of the struggle between him and Jonathan.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the UNPOPULAR opinion topic. Notice the word "unpopular". While I'm not going to warn people for spitting out Any Old Opinion, I'm getting quite tired of facepalming.

Example of an unpopular opinion:

[spoiler=Trails of Cold Steel 2]Laura is mediocre, at best. She needs to connect in order to do damage, and she's so ridiculously slow that she gets all of one turn in before everyone else mops things up. I dedicated half her orbment to making her not as slow and giving her a chance in hell of hitting something.

Fie, on the other hand, had none of these issues. Since I had her go evasiontank, she got a lot of accuracy boosts from her gear. That meant I could focus on upping her damage output (one quartz), leaving seven more for other more useful things (status effects, a single HP quartz to bump her to 2HKO range, etc.)

My bad. I'll try better to stay on topic.

Okay, my unpopular opinion is:

- I think MGS series' story is very convoluted and hard to follow, as well I think it is overrated overall. Now, that is likely my own ignorance because I will admit that I have yet to actually play or watch the games in full. Is all the stories interconnected? Again, I may have to actually take a moment to actually watch the series, so take this unpopular opinion with a grain of salt.

Spawning from this,

- I think the Thief series (the older games; not the reboot) are underrated for their stealth mechanics. I don't typically see people talk about the Thief series, even though I view it to be the series that really focused on the elements that make up a good stealth engine and did quite well with what they had. Like, taking into account lighting, guard patrol paths, sounds and other things like that. Honestly, I never see people mention stealth mechanics in general; I wish stealth games had more coverage.

(Would Assassin's Creed count as stealth? I'm naive, so forgive my bias and, again, the ignorance coloring my opinions.)

Edited by saisymbolic

I quite like the direction SMT4 and SMT4:A have taken the SMT franchise as a whole (I guess my avatar partly shows that). Nice nods to previous games are still around, and its incredibly exhilarating, kill or be killed combat.

I know quite a number of people dislike 4 and 4:A, so I figure this is generally unpopular, but maybe thats just the SMT/Persona fanbases being super loud.

- I think MGS series' story is very convoluted and hard to follow, as well I think it is overrated overall. Now, that is likely my own ignorance because I will admit that I have yet to actually play or watch the games in full. Is all the stories interconnected? Again, I may have to actually take a moment to actually watch the series, so take this unpopular opinion with a grain of salt.

They are interconnected, but the only reason people say MGS is convoluted is because of MGS2's ending and all of the weird shit that happened there. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward (well it's kinda complex cause there's a bunch of moving parts but it comes full circle.)

You'll find this isn't unpopular, since people make fun of MGS for this reason.

They are interconnected, but the only reason people say MGS is convoluted is because of MGS2's ending and all of the weird shit that happened there. Otherwise it's pretty straightforward (well it's kinda complex cause there's a bunch of moving parts but it comes full circle.)

You'll find this isn't unpopular, since people make fun of MGS for this reason.

Oh. I never really saw people make fun of it; the opposite actually. Praises for its great storytelling and all of that, which is why I thought my comment was unpopular.

Or maybe they were saying Hideo Kojima was a great storyteller . . . ?

At any rate, the impression I got was the MGS had great storytelling, but, when I actually tried to get into it, my brain imploded on itself when I tried to comprehend everything. All I know is something about Snake, clones, someone named Big Boss, Otacon and . . . that's it I think. But, yeah, I think I may try and give it another chance before saying anymore about it.

This is the UNPOPULAR opinion topic. Notice the word "unpopular". While I'm not going to warn people for spitting out Any Old Opinion, I'm getting quite tired of facepalming.Example of an unpopular opinion:[spoiler=Trails of Cold Steel 2]Laura is mediocre, at best. She needs to connect in order to do damage, and she's so ridiculously slow that she gets all of one turn in before everyone else mops things up. I dedicated half her orbment to making her not as slow and giving her a chance in hell of hitting something.Fie, on the other hand, had none of these issues. Since I had her go evasiontank, she got a lot of accuracy boosts from her gear. That meant I could focus on upping her damage output (one quartz), leaving seven more for other more useful things (status effects, a single HP quartz to bump her to 2HKO range, etc.)

Gotta agree with this.

While I wouldn't call Laura mediocre, she's not the invincible goddess some call her.

Also, while Elliot is a an amazing healer, I found Jusis to be more effective at healing, due to his better bulk and being able to be immune to damage for a turn.

Gotta agree with this.

While I wouldn't call Laura mediocre, she's not the invincible goddess some call her.

Also, while Elliot is a an amazing healer, I found Jusis to be more effective at healing, due to his better bulk and being able to be immune to damage for a turn.

Elliot's gr9 healing comes from Canon. I'm sure Jusis would be a lot better at healing if he had that as a MQ. . .which I'll never know, because I really like having Angel on him. He turns into a pretty durable support bot.

Speaking of Angel, Alisa is awful without it. I think her best use IMO is a one-hit ranged Impede. Honestly, I think she's hugely overrated, because the Crafts delay means that I won't use them unless I absolutely must (or unless it's Machias, who's so damn slow that I don't really see the difference).

Lastly, I do NOT care for most of the S-Break animations. About the only one I watched voluntarily was Zodiac Rain.

I know quite a number of people dislike 4 and 4:A, so I figure this is generally unpopular, but maybe thats just the SMT/Persona fanbases being super loud.

I also prefer Persona + Devil Survivor over SMT4 mainly because these games take place in normal locations and I can identify with the characters easily.

I guess I've issues to get into the story of SMT4 because I'm not fond with the Japanese history at all... and I miss the fanservice a little bit.

Elliot's gr9 healing comes from Canon. I'm sure Jusis would be a lot better at healing if he had that as a MQ. . .which I'll never know, because I really like having Angel on him. He turns into a pretty durable support bot.Speaking of Angel, Alisa is awful without it. I think her best use IMO is a one-hit ranged Impede. Honestly, I think she's hugely overrated, because the Crafts delay means that I won't use them unless I absolutely must (or unless it's Machias, who's so damn slow that I don't really see the difference).Lastly, I do NOT care for most of the S-Break animations. About the only one I watched voluntarily was Zodiac Rain.

I actually gave Jusis the Canon MQ and also gave him Toval's accessory that makes casting faster. It made him a very effective healer. And yeah, as much as I like Alisa, there are better characters that can fuffil the role of offensive mage, such as Emma and Toval.

Also, I've heard a lot of people praising Sara as the best adult party member, but personally, I think Toval is the best adult character.

I linked him with Vita in the last dungeon and damn those are strong together. Granted, Vita is pretty OP as a party member, but those two together are just too good.

I also prefer Persona + Devil Survivor over SMT4 mainly because these games take place in normal locations and I can identify with the characters easily.

I guess I've issues to get into the story of SMT4 because I'm not fond with the Japanese history at all... and I miss the fanservice a little bit.

Preferring how Persona & Devil Survivor isn't surprising, but um the Japanese history thing, SMT kinda takes quite a number of liberties, do you mean like the whole Samurai angle or just how its based in Tokyo?

Pretty much every game including the 2 series you mentioned mostly take place in Tokyo or some part of Japan, so I'm not entirely sure about the 2nd comment?

Preferring how Persona & Devil Survivor isn't surprising, but um the Japanese history thing, SMT kinda takes quite a number of liberties, do you mean like the whole Samurai angle or just how its based in Tokyo?

Pretty much every game including the 2 series you mentioned mostly take place in Tokyo or some part of Japan, so I'm not entirely sure about the 2nd comment?

Perhaps because all the main SMT games takes place in Tokyo? Tokyo is kinda one of the things that defines SMT after all. The whole reason Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is called Strange Journey and not Shin Megami Tensei 4 is because it takes place in Antartica and not Tokyo even though it was going to be 4.

Perhaps because all the main SMT games takes place in Tokyo? Tokyo is kinda one of the things that defines SMT after all. The whole reason Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey is called Strange Journey and not Shin Megami Tensei 4 is because it takes place in Antartica and not Tokyo even though it was going to be 4.

Well yeah, but I'm still confused about the person I quoted talking about like Japanese History?

Ohhh! Boy do i have a lot of unpopular gaming opinions.

Gamer culture is really terrible and needs an utter overhaul. How possessive people can be about video games is both sad and really scary. And yes, its still too male dominated, at least when it comes to the vocal portion of it.

Majora's Mask is the single greatest 3D Zelda in existence and i doubt BotW is gonna dethrone that, tbh.

Consoles themselves are actually kind of a cumbersome and annoying and handhelds are the way of the future. (at least Nintendo got hella wise to this...)

Pokemon is pretty great but its starting to get hella samey. I get the whole "if it aint broke, dont fix it" thing, but dang...

JRPGs were once my jam, but most of them tend to drive me up the wall now because of how slow moving they are. And the tropey af characters.

Microtransactions dont bother me unless it actually really hinders progress in the game. (progress locked behind unnecessary paywalls. This is mostly seen in mobile games more than actual DLC)

I never had anything to do with Sonic the Hedgehog and really am going to keep it that way.

Carts >>> CDs.

I dont think games are diverse enough in their casts yet.

Fanservice (if evenly spread) does not bother me.

I prefer dubbed/localized Japanese made games over the pure thing. Call me silly, but i like playing junk in languages i understand.

I havent played a Final Fantasy game since FFX and i wholly plan to keep it that way. With that game and onward, the series went into a direction that conjures images of turds floating in mud.

Speaking of FF, a lot of the designs of the characters lately are overly edgy and really samey.

Every time i look at the Persona series, my brain flashes a sign that reads in huge letters: "A N I M E B U L L S H I T." sorry Persona/SMT fans D:

Every time i look at the Persona series, my brain flashes a sign that reads in huge letters: "A N I M E B U L L S H I T." sorry Persona/SMT fans D:

To be fair, Persona does have quite a bit of that although it does have some decently complex characters. Meanwhile mainline SMT is (usually) much more gritty, dark, and often fairly horrific, very grey morality for the most part as well. Dealing with beings of various religions and myths along with other such things.

Its why the two fanbases have barely any overlap, and tend to like insulting one another.

Edited by Jedi

(omission)

- I honestly think the Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl arcs of [Pokemon] anime was the best. Ash actually was a competent trainer, though, the presence of clueless beginning trainers certainly did help with that. The Pokemon Contests were my favorite portions of the anime and I still to this day wish the Contests in-game could be like in the anime. I thought Paul was the best rival Ash could have had as Paul challenged Ash's fundamental approach to training his 'mons, resulting in an awesome battle, not only between pokemon, but between ideals.

I just noticed this now, and actually, for the anime fans at Bulbagarden, liking the Gen 4 arc seems pretty popular actually. (I myself do not know, because I haven't seen the anime in its entirety since Gen 2 finished.) Ditto with the Ash vs Paul thing. Shame that TV Tokyo resetted everything after that, though.

One more unpopular opinions:

- I watched the 1993 Movie version of Super Mario Bros recently, and it is actually better than the main games in at least one aspect. Mario, Luigi, and Daisy/Peach's personality seems more human to me, and even Bowser was more interesting to watch. (Shame that I can't say the same for Yoshi...)

You can blame Persona 4 for that one

I didn't want to be that person, but I was going to say the same thing. Really, it was the PS Vita Golden that ramped the animu up to eleven.

And this is coming from someone who started the series though P4. I had on rose-tinted glasses for a long time until I started playing through the other SMT games and the earlier Persona games. The second entry, in particular, is nothing like A N I M E B U L L S H I T and focuses more on the studies and concepts brought up by C.G. Jung. The "anime" portions in it are quite sparse and doesn't saturate the game too heavily.

Now, my unpopular opinion:

- I think the Sega Dreamcast is the best console to have ever (no matter how briefly) touched store shelves.

I actually gave Jusis the Canon MQ and also gave him Toval's accessory that makes casting faster. It made him a very effective healer. And yeah, as much as I like Alisa, there are better characters that can fuffil the role of offensive mage, such as Emma and Toval.

Also, I've heard a lot of people praising Sara as the best adult party member, but personally, I think Toval is the best adult character.

I linked him with Vita in the last dungeon and damn those are strong together. Granted, Vita is pretty OP as a party member, but those two together are just too good.

If we're talking mirrors, then it's Vita for best adult, since she hits like a truck and then some. Otherwise, I think Sharon's got a pretty good case for herself. She's relatively fast, inflicts status ailments like no one's business, and gets a very good AoE heal (one of the few crafts I don't mind spamming). She can also go straight utility, thanks to Mobius and being fast enough where a single R Chrono Drive (or whatever speeds up your party) quartz means that she can keep up with my "take a million turns" team. She's frail, but Falcom had to give her some sort of weakness! Besides, how often do we get to fight with an Enforcer under our control? I know the general consensus is that she's strong, but I think Sara wins the "strongest adult" debate whenever I see it.

Much as I adore Toval, and his uncanny resemblance to The Fourth Hokage, the mage spots are really tight. I imagine he'd be hilarious with Criminal and a Cast quartz, though! IMO he's the best one to get the accessory from, since it means that your mages become insanely good. . .even if Emma shows up really late, and Elliot doesn't really need it.

Edited by eggclipse

If we're talking mirrors, then it's Vita for best adult, since she hits like a truck and then some. Otherwise, I think Sharon's got a pretty good case for herself. She's relatively fast, inflicts status ailments like no one's business, and gets a very good AoE heal (one of the few crafts I don't mind spamming). She can also go straight utility, thanks to Mobius and being fast enough where a single R Chrono Drive (or whatever speeds up your party) quartz means that she can keep up with my "take a million turns" team. She's frail, but Falcom had to give her some sort of weakness! Besides, how often do we get to fight with an Enforcer under our control? I know the general consensus is that she's strong, but I think Sara wins the "strongest adult" debate whenever I see it.Much as I adore Toval, and his uncanny resemblance to The Fourth Hokage, the mage spots are really tight. I imagine he'd be hilarious with Criminal and a Cast quartz, though! IMO he's the best one to get the accessory from, since it means that your mages become insanely good. . .even if Emma shows up really late, and Elliot doesn't really need it.

Actually, I do agree with you that Sharon is really good, and Tea Time is also a great heal as well.

Maybe Sara just never worked for me, she always felt lacking in dealing damage. Perhaps I used the wrong MQ? I considered giving either her or Rean Laura's Mater Quartz.

And speaking of adults party memebers, sadly, I believe that Claire is the worst one. She really doesn't excel at anything.[

And yeah, Toval's acessory is the best one to get.

Edited by Water Mage

^breh, i unironically love the Super Mario Bros movie. Its like Blade Runner on magic mushrooms.

It is times like this where I wish this forum had a "like" button option...