Your unpopular opinions for general games/media (besides Fire Emblem)?

henrymidfields

I don't understand the hate against Nickleback. I actually enjoy some of their music. I guess it's because they fit a niche area between rock and metal that people don't like?

No. Its not this at all. Nickleback is derided as one of the most insipid bands to ever exist and not without good reason. Their songs have no variation whatsoever, the chord progressions are basically one minor and one major in this rocking motion that conjures images of seasickness. The vocals are monotone droning nonsense with no substance. The lyrics are something found in baseless inspirational quotes and Nicholas Sparks novels. In short, its trite, unimagined, white bread bullshit. Theres no heart. No love. Just noise that grates on the skin. How these jokers got a record deal is beyond me tbph.

Pokemon opinions?

GEN WUN. Seriously, its like the only gen i played more than once so its my favorite.

I dont play Pokemon to collect them all. Nor do i play them to do much else than to catch the pokemanz i think look cool. My team pools are usually pretty small.

I honestly dont care about anything except the pokemanz themselves when it comes to these games.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be even more straight up honest about Pokemon. I don't like it. I think it makes for a fairly bad single player RPG -- and by extension a mediocre competitive game and the games are so easy that most of the new features are pointless, intrusive at best, and aggravating at worst. Even worse is that somehow the newer games have become even MORE cryptic than the older ones. A trend that really started with Ru/Sa, and when the games DO make improvements, it takes WAY too long for these attributes to be implemented. It's inexcusable that it literally took them like 4 tries before they decided to actually mark the personality traits for what stats are improved or given a penalty on growths for instance, a lot of the evolution paths for Pokemon require a guide to have any chance of actually finding, and I hate how the games have Pokemon so divided in the games that making a generic random grab bag team of Pokemon requires you to 1) Beat the game in most instances 2) Have access to multiple games to get them 3) Or spend countless hours trading with yourself/other people. I could spend countless hours talking about why I don't particularly like Pokemon, and how the fanbase for it ignores even a fourth of the bad stuff from the series and praises the "good" aspects-- which is not much in my opinion. Especially nowadays.

I especially love how I said X and Y was bad, and people are like "YES IT IS BAD, DON'T COUNT THAT!" But really, Black and White I thought was lackluster, D/P was pretty lame, and Ru/Sa wasn't good IMO either... For the love of all that is good people, STOP BUYING ME THIS GAME SERIES, it's like they know I'll play it because it was a gift and even when I don't ask for it, there it is ... Sitting there waiting for me. I know it's unpopular, but man... I do not think it's a good series.

I'd rather get clothes than get a free game. I'd rather get food than a free game. Especially one that I don't find entertaining.

You could always let them know that. I'm sure they'd rather give you something you'd enjoy if they knew better.

I hope you can forgive me, but to me there's something very decadent about complaining over free video games.

Edited by Shuuda

I'll be even more straight up honest about Pokemon. I don't like it. I think it makes for a fairly bad single player RPG -- and by extension a mediocre competitive game and the games are so easy that most of the new features are pointless, intrusive at best, and aggravating at worst. Even worse is that somehow the newer games have become even MORE cryptic than the older ones. A trend that really started with Ru/Sa, and when the games DO make improvements, it takes WAY too long for these attributes to be implemented. It's inexcusable that it literally took them like 4 tries before they decided to actually mark the personality traits for what stats are improved or given a penalty on growths for instance, a lot of the evolution paths for Pokemon require a guide to have any chance of actually finding, and I hate how the games have Pokemon so divided in the games that making a generic random grab bag team of Pokemon requires you to 1) Beat the game in most instances 2) Have access to multiple games to get them 3) Or spend countless hours trading with yourself/other people. I could spend countless hours talking about why I don't particularly like Pokemon, and how the fanbase for it ignores even a fourth of the bad stuff from the series and praises the "good" aspects-- which is not much in my opinion. Especially nowadays.

You're not alone. I don't like Pokémon either, the game or even the whole universe. I don't get why it is that popular. I agree with your points, especially with the last one. But the biggest problems IMO are the stories and the world building that are pretty poor, the gameplay that is extremely boring, and the lack of real evolution for a 20 years old series.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

You could always let them know that. I'm sure they'd rather give you something you'd enjoy if they knew better.

I hope you can forgive me, but to me there's something very decadent about complaining over free video games.

I have. I still get it anyways. That's the reason that it actually annoys me so much. S&M I might actually not be given this time around. Hopefully.

I'm not upset about that belief, I understand how that can come across as decadent.I just want them to not spend stuff on video games for me. Especially when it more so comes across as not paying attention to what I'm saying because it's not something I want/need.

You're not alone. I don't like Pokémon either, the game or even the whole universe. I don't get why it is that popular. I agree with your points, especially with the last one. But the biggest problems IMO are the stories and the world building that are pretty poor, the gameplay that is extremely boring, and the lack of real evolution for a 20 years old series.

Yeah, say what you will about games like Zelda, but even it has had more drastic changes in the past few entries than Pokemon has. I mean, I don't want it to be Star Fox levels of inconsistent about stuff, but I don't need it to be that rigid in its formula.

Edited by Augestein

Yeah, say what you will about games like Zelda, but even it has had more drastic changes in the past few entries than Pokemon has. I mean, I don't want it to be Star Fox levels of inconsistent about stuff, but I don't need it to be that rigid in its formula.

Zelda's evolution is OK for me, except SS which was really average and the supposed sequel of PH where you are on a train that really sucked. But the last "real" Zelda game was TP (my favorite) which was released ten years ago so the lack of drastic change didn't choke me at that time because the whole video game universe was different and the series younger. And BoTW seems to change radically from what we had before so it's fine.

That's Nintendo biggest problem IMO, being forced to be rigid in its formula to avoid upsetting their core fans and that prevents them from evolving on series like Star Fox (Assault was fine though). And that's really ironic because these fans want Nintendo to be a pioneer like it was years ago but they whine at every stupid change they would make, yet they complain when they get remastered games. That doesn't make any sense. Just look how many people whined for Link's green tunic in BoTW.

I'd probably trigger a storm against me by saying that, but the series that represents the complete lack of evolution IMO is Mario Bros. Besides Maker and its concept (but the "playing the map" part still sucks), there hasn't been any change that would justify the purchase of a new game in 30 years. However, the "3D games" are on a scale from average to excellent (like Paper Mario on the Gamecube).

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

I'd probably trigger a storm against me by saying that, but the series that represents the complete lack of evolution IMO is Mario Bros. Besides Maker and its concept (but the "playing the map" part still sucks), there hasn't been any change that would justify the purchase of a new game in 30 years. However, the "3D games" are on a scale from average to excellent (like Paper Mario on the Gamecube.)

Mario has evolved a ton in the 3D games. Going from 64 to Sunshine to Galaxy to 3D World, the differences in mechanics and level design are huge.

Pokémon now, uh ?

Missingno is my favourite Pokémon.

Hugh is the worst rival ever created. He's the only real problem I have with B2W2. He's the worst of both words. He's freaking annoying and irritative, but he's not antagonistic towards you, so you can't have the pleasure to beat him like with Blue.

Apparently some think he's cool, and I have no idea was. Seriously, if anything can give me the appeal of him, tell me.

However, I like Bianca. I found her one of the most interresting Rival. She don't wnat to be the very best, she just wants to have fun with her Pokémon.And she wants to proves herself (and her dad) what she can do. Her playstyle is really similar to mine actually.

It's good to have someone reminds you Pokémo isn't only about battling.

Actually, I'm totally OK with "rivals" being actually friendly. Blue was just an ass for no real reason, which don't strike me as well written adn compelling character. Silver was cool, but it had good reason to act as he did.

I even thought travelling with friends in X Y was fun. (Sun and Moon does the concept better (at least from what I saw so far), but it wasn't bad)

Somenthing slightly unrelated, but you can liek games even if they're not really good ; or ever because they are bad. That's me with Gen I. Its' the worst generation, no question asked (if it was otherwise, it would be honnestly bad), but no Remake will ever surpass it.
​That may seems contradictory, but this due to a single reason. This game is a real mess, as far as coding go. Even for the time, it was nearly unacceptable to release something as broken and badly done at full price. But that's why I like it.

Bugs are so easily done, for such amazing results that it felt to me as if I was going to some mysterious and forbidden places. It made me discover why bugs ae the best part of Video games (that, and the period. All the rumours about the Pokégods or others that participated to make those games a myth.)

4) The Dungeons and the Battle system are really fun- yes, the games are easy (and maybe making them more difficult would be fun) but they are fun anyways. There are so many different options on how to battle, and it's surprising complex.

Oh, that brings me to one of my biggest pet peeves : Difficulty have Nothing to do with a game's quality.

Or at least, it's not the most important part.

Especially if difficulty is used to hide bad gameplay (there's such a thing as good difficulty, but you rarely see it.)

Or when it's used as a form of pseudo elitism.

Obviously, it works the other way. Some game demand more engagement than others, but they ended up really rewarding expériences.

But the point remain. Difficulty alone (or lack thereof) don't make or break a game.

i despise all the new pokemon, moves, and abilities in sun and moon. i don't like most of the pokemon from gen 5 and 6 too.

competitive pokemon is a glorified rock paper scissors that requires an absurd amount of meaningless knowledge.

Edited by Comet

competitive pokemon is a glorified rock paper scissors that requires an absurd amount of meaningless knowledge.

Isn't that Pokemon as a whole? :smug:

Ash is one of the better characters from the Pokemon anime.

The Forest Temple is the last dungeon that's interesting in OoT

City in the Sky is the best dungeon in the whole Zelda series

Pokémon now, uh ?

Missingno is my favourite Pokémon.

Hugh is the worst rival ever created. He's the only real problem I have with B2W2. He's the worst of both words. He's freaking annoying and irritative, but he's not antagonistic towards you, so you can't have the pleasure to beat him like with Blue.

Apparently some think he's cool, and I have no idea was. Seriously, if anything can give me the appeal of him, tell me.

However, I like Bianca. I found her one of the most interresting Rival. She don't wnat to be the very best, she just wants to have fun with her Pokémon.And she wants to proves herself (and her dad) what she can do. Her playstyle is really similar to mine actually.

It's good to have someone reminds you Pokémo isn't only about battling.

Actually, I'm totally OK with "rivals" being actually friendly. Blue was just an ass for no real reason, which don't strike me as well written adn compelling character. Silver was cool, but it had good reason to act as he did.

I even thought travelling with friends in X Y was fun. (Sun and Moon does the concept better (at least from what I saw so far), but it wasn't bad)

Somenthing slightly unrelated, but you can liek games even if they're not really good ; or ever because they are bad. That's me with Gen I. Its' the worst generation, no question asked (if it was otherwise, it would be honnestly bad), but no Remake will ever surpass it.

​That may seems contradictory, but this due to a single reason. This game is a real mess, as far as coding go. Even for the time, it was nearly unacceptable to release something as broken and badly done at full price. But that's why I like it.

Bugs are so easily done, for such amazing results that it felt to me as if I was going to some mysterious and forbidden places. It made me discover why bugs ae the best part of Video games (that, and the period. All the rumours about the Pokégods or others that participated to make those games a myth.)

Oh, that brings me to one of my biggest pet peeves : Difficulty have Nothing to do with a game's quality.

Or at least, it's not the most important part.

Especially if difficulty is used to hide bad gameplay (there's such a thing as good difficulty, but you rarely see it.)

Or when it's used as a form of pseudo elitism.

Obviously, it works the other way. Some game demand more engagement than others, but they ended up really rewarding expériences.

But the point remain. Difficulty alone (or lack thereof) don't make or break a game.

I wasn't trying to say that the gameplay should be difficult for the sake of it. I'm just saying that I'd love it if the battles were slightly harder but with good gameplay. The battle system in Golden Sun is pretty damn good as it is, all you really need to do is make some of the enemies slightly harder.

I love Deadpool, but find the current version of him in the comics to be annoying, and his fans as well. You really can't call them fans, but I hate the whole "so random, much 4th wall break, chimichangas" idea the fans have with him. What used to be a comic relief character that could have some cool moments and be used seriously, has become nothing more than a fan pandering joke of what he used to be. It's aggravating. And it's likewise with Harley Quinn. Though the movie did an excellent job with Deadpool.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I love Deadpool, but yeah, seconded. The only Deadpool I like is the one who uses humour to mask his intense pain and self-loathing, not one who uses humour because #lolrandom.

I have a game I play whenever I'm at a convention where I count the Deadpool and Harley Quinn cosplayers I see, then when I go home, I drink a shot of alcohol for each one.

Edited by DoctorSpectrum

I have one: the Water Temple isn't hard. Annoying? Yes. Tedious? For sure. But hard? Nah.

The 3DS version, or the N64 original?

Ash is one of the better characters from the Pokemon anime.

I actually enjoyed him and for that matter, everyone else, in Movie 3. That Entei vs Charizard battle was awesome! That movie really made my childhood. On a possibly more popular note, XY001-002 was brilliant in that it relived some of said awesome moments. Edited by henrymidfields

I wasn't trying to say that the gameplay should be difficult for the sake of it. I'm just saying that I'd love it if the battles were slightly harder but with good gameplay. The battle system in Golden Sun is pretty damn good as it is, all you really need to do is make some of the enemies slightly harder.

There is a hack of Golden Sun & Lost Age that fixes the whole deal with magic and makes enemies quite a bit more of a threat, if you want I could pm them to you later.

Golden Sun battle system is kind of fundamentally flawed in that non-physical Psynergy fucking sucks. It doesn't really scale with increased stats well at all, and so its damage progression is more or less garbage compared to physical Psynergy / weapon unleashes.

Summons are also bullshit.

The class / djinn system had so much potential, but most of the things you could do with it were completely outclassed by a much smaller subgroup of things.

It's really fun but the difficulty is a total joke, even on hard mode.

I have not played The Balance Age, but the changelist looks incredibly promising.

...except for some of the name-changes.

Golden Sun battle system is kind of fundamentally flawed in that non-physical Psynergy fucking sucks. It doesn't really scale with increased stats well at all, and so its damage progression is more or less garbage compared to physical Psynergy / weapon unleashes.

Summons are also bullshit.

The class / djinn system had so much potential, but most of the things you could do with it were completely outclassed by a much smaller subgroup of things.

It's really fun but the difficulty is a total joke, even on hard mode.

I have not played The Balance Age, but the changelist looks incredibly promising.

...except for some of the name-changes.

I think the biggest problem with Golden Sun's battle system is the strange lack of a "magic" stat. Like... Why are we having psynergy scale off of a stat that can't be buffed through normal means? If that's the case, shouldn't attack as well? I also did a Golden Sun rebalance, and tbh, Golden Sun is one of those games you can't really fix without some major ASM IMO.

XY, ORAS, and what ive seen of sun and moon all bored the living shit out of me. The franchise is stale as fuck.

You know, I was reading this article... http://keithburgun.net/instant-ambiguity-sauces/

...and then...

Labor: Many – if not most single-player videogames of the past 15 years have been very, very heavy on forcing the player to perform hours upon hours of “busy-work”. Grinding against hundreds of no-threat popcorn enemies, running down long corridors, fetch-quests, and collection schemes are just some of the ways that modern videogames stretch a system out, making it feel less like what they are: an application where you press A to win. Games with labor-sauce all over them need to have a great presentation and a massive hype train going, or else people will walk away.

...yep, that's Pokemon all right. I'm sure things get more interesting at the competitive level, but it takes so much work to get there that it bores me to tears. Thank god for Pokemon Showdown, cutting out all the pointless crap in Pokemon games.

... and tbh, Golden Sun is one of those games you can't really fix without some major ASM IMO.

Read the post I linked; it involves a pretty major change to the battle system.

The new base damage formula is Damage = Old Damage Formula * (1+(MaxPP/1024)). There are a lot of benefits granted by this, namely:

• Base Power spells now can keep up with attack-based damage.
  • The damage grows as characters level up.
  • Mage-like classes do more damage with those psynergies than Warrior-like classes.
  • PP increasing equipment are no longer completely overshadowed by PP regenerating equipment. Offensive casters will now favor PP increases, while healers will opt for PP regeneration.

Also, as far as unpopular opinions go, I really liked Dark Dawn.