CYL and Horse Emblem

Koumal8

Hope I can spark a bit of discussion about this: with the introduction of CYL Lyn and Roy, are cav teams going to change? For example, I missed both Xander and Camus, which is the main reason I never bothered trying to come up with a horse comp. Until now: I have both CYL Lyn and Roy, and a comp of Lyn/Roy/Reinhardt/Cecilia suddenly seems like a very tempting team to build up. Will I feel that much the lack of DC? And why is no one discussing the potential of Brave Roy in horse emblem? Is Xander that much better than him?

Edited by Koumal8

Lyn, Reinhardt, and Cecilia (especially if she has gronnblade) will greatly appreciate the horse buffs, since the majority of characters in the game are 1 range and don't possess DC until you're in Tier 20. Get reposition/draw back on everybody so you can snipe people for free. Roy should pull his weight too. I don't think Xander is necessary for a cav team, he's just the gateway drug that leads F2P players to start building their cav team. 

Really, cav teams are so good that I wouldn't wait for a Xander GHB rerun. Even if you were stuck with 4 stars I'd still recommend getting to work on it.

Yeah, I'll probably get down to it starting today, with x2 exp/sp and all; though I'll have to pull for reposition and I'm hoarding for Por/RD banner (not even going to pull from Hector+Ninian banner, I'm gonna regret this, aren't I?).

But I repeat, with the introduction of Brave Roy who would you say will become the preferred cav for the red spot? Roy or Xander?

7 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Yeah, I'll probably get down to it starting today, with x2 exp/sp and all; though I'll have to pull for reposition and I'm hoarding for Por/RD banner (not even going to pull from Hector+Ninian banner, I'm gonna regret this, aren't I?).

But I repeat, with the introduction of Brave Roy who would you say will become the preferred cav for the red spot? Roy or Xander?

It depends how you play: Both have high ATK. Xander (ideally with QR) is an enemy phase unit, because of his bulk and built in distant counter. Roy is a player phase unit because of his high speed and built in heavy blade. 

If you want to have high merges, then you wouldn't go with Xander. Personally I pfeffer Xander in my horse team, because the offensive part is well covered by the mages (Ursula, Reinhardt & Cecilia in my case). Like @Glennstavos wrote, there is no reason to not build a horse team. It can be very powerful with many of the available units, especially the mages profit greatly from the combination of horse buffs and blade tomes. 

Xander actually face issue from being too weak nowadays so if you think Xander isnt doing well you can try replacing him which is notable because his atk isnt high enough to one shot BLyn. Realistically speaking though you run both Roy and Xander or you drop Roy

Granted on the old "Reinhardt Ursula and Olwen is broken" build of Horse Emblem Xander fits more because his distant counter is perfect against units that are a problem for your broken unit

Xander wasnt really the best red anyway. The best Red is Leo. Although Leo does get screwed by some Lyn build in Post CYL meta.

As far as Roy goes in like 4800 range the biggest flaw of Roy is that hes "too strong". Galeforce is based around getting at least 2 hits which he doesnt have the chance against some comp. This make him want dancer support to actually make him shine.

Outside of that and lack of DC hes really damn good. If you meet a Hector its pretty cool since he used Hector as a Galeforce set up fodder

Edited by JSND

24 minutes ago, JSND said:

Granted on the old "Reinhardt Ursula and Olwen is broken" build of Horse Emblem Xander fits more because his distant counter is perfect against units that are a problem for your broken unit

As I said I don't have neither Xander nor Camus, so I hope Lyn can get me through DC units; Roy/Lyn/Cecilia/Reinhardt is pretty lackluster as far as EP is concerned, now that you mentioned it.

What do you guys think will be the best build for the non-Rein cav mages now? Keep Blade or Raven+TA to counter BowLyn?

19 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

As I said I don't have neither Xander nor Camus, so I hope Lyn can get me through DC units; Roy/Lyn/Cecilia/Reinhardt is pretty lackluster as far as EP is concerned, now that you mentioned it.

What do you guys think will be the best build for the non-Rein cav mages now? Keep Blade or Raven+TA to counter BowLyn?

TA Raven Cecilia is kind of a favorite for me so im not sure if i can judge that failry wrt Blade vs Raven. That sets nice since it just hard counters important unit

Lyn could help on paper since the real issue of lacking DC is Mage match up

44 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

If you want to counter Lyn, then blade tomes would be a poor choice, because they rely on buffs which are nullified by Lyn's bow. 

As for the DC opponents:

• A buffed neutral Cecilia (vanilla with Gronnblade+) one-shots vanilla neutral Hector +9 (Hector +10 survives with 1 HP), Nowi +10, A!Tiki+9, Ryoma +1, Ike +4 and Camus +10. 
  • A buffed neutral Reinhardt (vanilla with Death Blow 3) one-rounds neutral Ike +10, Xander +10, Camus +10, Nowi +7, A!Tiki +10 and Ryoma +10 and Lyn +0
Edited by mampfoid
Added Lyn

2 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

I pulled a Luke recently & with Lyn on my roster I've been thinking of building a second cav team.

I imagine that's the more likely answer.

Xander is often used because he is insanely cheap to build (just slap Fury 3 and Quick Riposte 2 on him) and offers relatively high returns. If you are a whale, Xander is not the best option due to low merges, but if you are free to play, Xander pays for iteself pretty quickly.

Edited by XRay

I stuck Reposition and Hone/Fortify Cavalry on Roy and Lyn and paired them with Blarblade Ursula and I'm very happy with them. They managed to stomp right through the whole second half of the 11+12 Lunatic challenge with Ninian's help, which is something I was never able to get my old Xander/Reinhardt/Cecilia team to do. I'd be prioritizing this team anyway because Xander/Reinhard/Cecilia have capped HM, but I think they're better, all being able to deal massive damage on the player phase rather than having to rely on the enemy phase.