Is this game worth getting?

DisobeyedCargo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I've seen so many people here say that Fates is absolute trash and is the worst FE game ever made. It makes me think this game isn't worth playing and that I shouldn't get it. Is this game worth playing at all?

It's really only the story that's garbage. The actual gameplay is pretty damned fantastic. Conquest is probably in the top 2 best fire emblem games ever made, and Birthright's pretty good.

Don't buy rev though, unless you really like multiplayer and minmaxing. It somehow manages to take everything Birthright does wrong and magnify it a thousandfold.

16 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

It's really only the story that's garbage. The actual gameplay is pretty damned fantastic. Conquest is probably in the top 2 best fire emblem games ever made, and Birthright's pretty good.

Don't buy rev though, unless you really like multiplayer and minmaxing. It somehow manages to take everything Birthright does wrong and magnify it a thousandfold.

Other than party differences, what are the main differences between the 2? And what exactly did Birthright do wrong?

Prepare to rip your hair out after playing Conquest. It's definitely not a bad game, just very frustrating.

Birthright is a lot easier in comparison but still pretty challenging if not careful. Birthright is my preferred game in Fates if only because the gameplay is less taxing and the story is safe unlike the indecisive mess that was Nohr.

Just don't play Birthright and Conquest back to back. You'll burn out quick.

4 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Other than party differences, what are the main differences between the 2? And what exactly did Birthright do wrong?

Birthright is basically Awakening but better. I wouldn't say BR did anything wrong myself its just not as engaging as a number of others FEs.

Rev meanwhile is just pointless gimmicks every map

16 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

It's not so much what Birthright did wrong as it is what Conquest did right. Conquest has a radically different design philosophy from nearly every other game in the series when it comes to difficulty. It's the only game in the series to make extensive and creative use of skills on enemy units beyond simply slapping some class skills on there. The other games' idea of difficulty is to buff up enemy stats or drastically increase enemy numbers. Conquest's idea of difficulty is to hand-craft its enemy waves and formations so that they will eat you alive in countless fascinating ways ways if you try to do anything too obvious, and force you to think outside of the box and consider the various options the party you've built gives you to win each battle. It's brutal, but extremely fair, and it never ever ever throws you anything that would render a blind ironman run of the game unrealistic.

Edited by Alastor15243

24 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

They're completely different games, if that's what you're asking. The only thing they share are the first 5 chapters (out of 27 each) and a few paralogues.

If you get one of them, you can also get the other for half the price digitally. I definitely recommend trying at least one of them, and then getting the other if you enjoy it.

Edited by Nobody

It's only the story that gets criticized like that. (And yet, I'd still rank it above Sacred Stones and Sword of Seals... which says more about how IntSys utterly dropped the ball with their stories than Fates' story actually being good) However, the gameplay is really good. And like was stated earlier, they're largely different games.

I think people are just harder on Fates because it's the newest game in the series.  (Edit: Oops, I forgot about SoV for a sec there.  Well, I guess that's a remake.  Let's say Fates is the newest non-remake game in the series, then!) 

I say give it a shot and see for yourself.  :^_^:  The story is cheesy, but it's not the worst thing ever.  Then again, I wasn't really blown away by the story in any of the other FE games I've played either... Personally, I think that cheesy, bad stories are just a part of Fire Emblem's charm.

Overall, Fates is my favourite FE game.  Awakening is a very close second.  I don't know if you played Awakening or not, but I have a feeling if you didn't like Awakening, you probably won't like Fates.

Edited by Infinite Dreams

6 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

I think people are just harder on Fates because it's the newest game in the series.  (Edit: Oops, I forgot about SoV for a sec there.  Well, I guess that's a remake.  Let's say Fates is the newest non-remake game in the series, then!) 

I say give it a shot and see for yourself.  :^_^:  The story is cheesy, but it's not the worst thing ever.  Then again, I wasn't really blown away by the story in any of the other FE games I've played either... Personally, I think that cheesy, bad stories are just a part of Fire Emblem's charm.

Overall, Fates is my favourite FE game.  Awakening is a very close second.  I don't know if you played Awakening or not, but I have a feeling if you didn't like Awakening, you probably won't like Fates.

I did play awakening, and despite its flaws I really enjoyed it. I've heard that Fates really balanced out the gameplay awakening introduced, which is good because. I'll be the first to say that awakening was kinda Broken.

what exactly is the deal with revelations though, seems to be the black sheep of the three.

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I did play awakening, and despite its flaws I really enjoyed it. I've heard that Fates really balanced out the gameplay awakening introduced, which is good because. I'll be the first to say that awakening was kinda Broken.

what exactly is the deal with revelations though, seems to be the black sheep of the three.

The plot is even clumsier than the other two, but more importantly, the unit balance is utterly terrible and all of the maps consistently lack any forward pressure to keep things interesting, it has none of Conquest's clever gameplay design, and every gimmick they throw at you simply makes the game move more slowly. It's really difficult to describe, but it's a horribly unengaging and mindless slog.

5 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

From what I know, it largely has to do with character balance, as well as the gimmicks (but I'm willing to play devil's advocate and say that I didn't really find the gimmicks THAT off-putting, other than in the earlygame).

58 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I think you'll find Birthright enjoyable enough, then.  Possibly Conquest as well if you're willing to take on the challenge.

The deal with Revelation...

• You get, like, four units that are around level 10-15 unpromoted in a chapter where most of your allies are close to promoting and a good chunk of the enemies are promoted, and unlike most "Est" type units, these units don't have hidden uber growths that make them stand out.  In fact, one of these units is considered one of the worst units in the game.  This is just one example of the poor balancing in this path, and it doesn't help that they're accompanied by two of the best units in the whole game.
  • Not only do you get poorly balanced units, but you also get an overabundance of characters.  Some of them are worthwhile, but others aren't.  That being said, this makes it great for PMU's.
  • Story is very avatar-centric after a certain point, and he/she's coddled for making stupid mistakes.  It's just an exercise in frustration, and throughout it all I was just wishing the other royal characters would get attention or that anything else would happen.
  • There are other reason people criticize the story, but I won't say them for spoiler reasons.  For as bad as Conquest can be or as mediocre as Birthright might be, they can't compare to what Revelation did.
  • Most maps take around 40-60 turns to beat, and it isn't because they're difficult; it's because they're designed in a way that's extremely tedious and takes up your time.  Once you get into the "Invisible Kingdom" segment, it just becomes a slog.

I will say though that I like what it did for PMU's and that it brought characters together for some path-exclusive supports.

All in all, I don't think it's super terrible, but it isn't without its flaws.  If you like grinding, PMU's, making up self-imposed challenges, and lots of supports, or you feel that you want to learn the truth behind the world of Fates, then it's right up your alley.  Otherwise, it isn't worth the extra $20.

19 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I think you'll find Birthright enjoyable enough, then.  Possibly Conquest as well if you're willing to take on the challenge.

The deal with Revelation...

• You get, like, four units that are around level 10-15 unpromoted in a chapter where most of your allies are close to promoting and a good chunk of the enemies are promoted, and unlike most "Est" type units, these units don't have hidden uber growths that make them stand out.  In fact, one of these units is considered one of the worst units in the game.  This is just one example of the poor balancing in this path, and it doesn't help that they're accompanied by two of the best units in the whole game.
  • Not only do you get poorly balanced units, but you also get an overabundance of characters.  Some of them are worthwhile, but others aren't.  That being said, this makes it great for PMU's.
  • Story is very avatar-centric after a certain point, and he/she's coddled for making stupid mistakes.  It's just an exercise in frustration, and throughout it all I was just wishing the other royal characters would get attention or that anything else would happen.
  • There are other reason people criticize the story, but I won't say them for spoiler reasons.  For as bad as Conquest can be or as mediocre as Birthright might be, they can't compare to what Revelation did.
  • Most maps take around 40-60 turns to beat, and it isn't because they're difficult; it's because they're designed in a way that's extremely tedious and takes up your time.  Once you get into the "Invisible Kingdom" segment, it just becomes a slog.

I will say though that I like what it did for PMU's and that it brought characters together for some path-exclusive supports.

All in all, I don't think it's super terrible, but it isn't without its flaws.  If you like grinding, PMU's, making up self-imposed challenges, and lots of supports, or you feel that you want to learn the truth behind the world of Fates, then it's right up your alley.  Otherwise, it isn't worth the extra $20.

Jesus Christ 40-60 turns! That's... a long time.

guess I know which one I'm not getting 

On 10/27/2017 at 6:15 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

I've seen so many people here say that Fates is absolute trash and is the worst FE game ever made. It makes me think this game isn't worth playing and that I shouldn't get it. Is this game worth playing at all?

Conquest is the GOAT 3DS Fire Emblem.

Birthright is fine. Revelation is pretty bad. 

Understand one thing here. Fire Emblem Fates is divided into two paths so its a game that is basically separated into two halves and each half has a respectable amount of content and replayability even without DLC added.

That being said, it depends on what you prefer.

If you are someone who wants to train units with no limits in EXP, not facing any limits on money usage and to get more characters besides the ones the game gives you, you get Birthright. 

The problem with Birthright is that you face issues in terms of lack of diversity and a very cliche plot with nothing interesting to add.

But if you are someone who wants challenge,  a sense of diversity and does not mind some amount of frustration, then you get Conquest.

The problem with Conquest is its difficulty spike even on normal and a somewhat of a disappointing ending.

Revelations is a combination between Conquest and Birthright mechanics and allows units on both paths to be used in one thus having a larger cast. Some will say to ignore this but if you want a plot that sums up the world of Fates, you get Revelation but to get an idea of the plot, you need to complete atleast either Birthright or Conquest.

My personal preference is to stick to Conquest and ignore the other ones unless you're into story in which case, play Conquest still as its story is better than the two other paths combined except with the ending.

If you want to have fun with all three games, then I highly recommend to play Birthright before Conquest. If you have completed CQ first, you won't be really motivated in BR due to the difficulty drop and missing challenge as a result.

It's definitely worth to have played Revelations once at least to see the support conversations between both parties. The chapter design is questionable overall, but I appreciate the idea of making the chapters interesting by adding gimmicks. However some really don't belong to FE like giving the player 50 - 50 choices with dramatic consequences if you guess wrong. Still I somewhat enjoyed this game. It features one of my absolute favorite final boss battles in FE.

Echoing what others have said, Conquest is absolutely 100% worth playing; its series is arguably series-best. I think its story is somewhat overhated and it has some good points (as well as excellent characters) but overall it's another FE I wouldn't play primarily for story. Birthright isn't as exceptional gameplaywise but it's still solid, Fates has very solid mechanics so gameplaywise it's pretty much Awakening+.

Revelation you can play if you get to the end of those two paths and are craving more, but don't feel obligated to.

Skip Revelations. From a story perspective, it absolutely shouldn't exist, and from a gameplay perspective, I personally also think it shouldn't exist. Conquest has some of the best overall gameplay of the entire franchise -- with Chapter 10 (henceforth known as Pearl Harbor) being my favorite chapter in the entire franchise. It never felt unfair to me, and the unit balance is pretty good, with most characters being viable by default, and others really shining with Heart Seals ( Namely Odin, but he's a favorite character of mine, so I baby him a wee bit). The royals in Conquest are also more interesting as characters for the most part, with Leo's supports across the board being pretty damn good, and Xander's being decent. 

I love me some titty, but Camilla is a rather ironically flat character. Outstanding unit though. 

TL;DR Get Conquest for sure, skip Revelations for the love of god, and maybe get BR (I haven't played it, so I can't speak to gameplay). 

On 10/27/2017 at 4:43 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

There's a few really annoying maps that come to mind.  Also, some characters really, really suck when you get them.  You pretty much have to grind if you want to use certain people (at least in Lunatic).  I didn't mind this since Revelation was the path I planned on grinding on. 

I played the games in this order: Birthright -> Conquest -> Revelation, which is ideal if you plan on playing all three paths.  I personally recommend all three, but you may not have the patience for that.  If you only want to play one, I'd recommend Conquest.

I liked Revelation because I'm a sucker for happy endings.  I also really liked seeing the two sides join together, and I didn't think Rev's story was any worse than the other two paths.  (Again, I don't play FE for a good story.)  If you're a completionist who likes reading a lot of supports, pairing people together, and getting all of the kids, then Revelation is pretty good for that.  

1 minute ago, Infinite Dreams said:

There's a few really annoying maps that come to mind.  Also, some characters really, really suck when you get them.  You pretty much have to grind if you want to use certain people (at least in Lunatic).  I didn't mind this since Revelation was the path I planned on grinding on. 

I played the games in this order: Birthright -> Conquest -> Revelation, which is ideal if you plan on playing all three paths.  I personally recommend all three, but you may not have the patience for that.  If you only want to play one, I'd recommend Conquest.

I liked Revelation because I'm a sucker for happy endings.  I also really liked seeing the two sides join together, and I didn't think Rev's story was any worse than the other two paths.  (Again, I don't play FE for a good story.)  If you're a completionist who likes reading a lot of supports, pairing people together, and getting all of the kids, then Revelation is pretty good for that.  

I am kind of a completionist, but I'm not very likely to spend an extra 20-40 dollars for two more paths.