mampfoids Awakening Beginner Questions

mampfoid

Hi everybody, 

recently I've started to play Awakening (hard/classic), it's my first FE game apart from Heroes and my first game on Nintendo Hardware ever! So far its nice and fun, but I've reached a point where I would like to address some beginner questions to more experienced folk: 

1. Where would I find a good source/wiki for this game? Either the in-game explanations of some mechanics are insufficient, or I haven't found the right chapters yet. 
  2. After completing a map, a dialog shows the hero of the map and the turn count. Is there any advantage in solving maps faster (with fewer turns)? 
  3. How does doubling work? In Heroes a unit needs to have 5 more SPD to double the opponent. 
  4. What I don't like is that weapons can wear out. Does the game give me more or less automatically what I need, or do I have to buy spare weapons for everyone to be sure? 
  5. Level: 
    1. Currently I'm at chapter 5 and I struggle to keep everyone alive, because team needs to split up to reach Maribelle and Ricken. Is there a way to grind some levels for my second row units? The arena gives me Level 11 enemies, which doesn't help to level up units from level 1-3. 
    2. Chrom and Robin are pretty fast to gain levels and there is already a gap to the rest of the team. On one hand I would like to keep everyone on the same level, but on the other hand it's difficult to kill a Level 5 opponent with a Level 1 Stahl or Donnel. Is there a recommended maximum level gap? 
    3. Low level Frederick seems to be stronger than other units with higher level. Does he have an advanced class or something? 
  6. Support:
    1. If my attacking unit is adjacent to 2 allies, who will show up in the fight?
    2. How do I know when the ally will block or do an additional attack?
    3. What are the suggested ways to build up support? Collect low level support with 3-4 units at once, or try to get as high as possible before to start a second support?
  7. Pairing:
    1. Do additional attacks and blocks work like normal support?
    2. Should units with different attacking range be paired with each other (i.e. archers and Pegasus knights)? Or would this prevent additional attacks under some circumstances? 
  8. In Paralogue 1 (Donnel quest) there is an opponent unit who opens a treasure chest. Could I lose important items by not chasing these guys? 
  9. Which DLCs are recommended? I don't care very much about having Characters of older FE titles in Awakening. But if there is some nicely done content (story- or challenge-wise), I'd invest some money. 

Well, that are far more questions than I initially intended to do. I would be happy for every single answer, thanks in advance! 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Serenes Forest has way more than forums!  It's also a site chock-full of information!  Start here.
2. Bragging rights.
3. Ditto in Awakening/Fates.  The older games are a bit different, but we'll cross that bridge if/when you get there.
4. You'll need to do a bit of shopping here and there.  Javelins/Hand Axes are especially useful early-on.
5. In order. . .you can call Spotpass teams for experience (stick to the lower-leveled ones), or you can refine your strategy.  Chapter 5 is pretty tough, and if you can get past that, you should be good for a while.  You don't need to level everyone, just a core of 8 or so (including Chrom and Robin).  No recommended level gap, but do take advantage of Pair Up!  Frederick is a promoted class, hence why he's so far ahead in stats.
6. In order. . .whoever has the higher support value (that's some internal stuff), Dual Strikes/Attacks are somewhat random, with support levels increasing the chance.  Build supports by pairing up two characters, and send the duo into battle!
7. In order. . .I'm not sure what you're asking with the first question. For your second one, It Depends.  Pair Up provides a nifty stat boost, and that should help you to determine who goes where.
8. Yes, but this is rather rare.  Alternately, you can kill the opponent after they loot the chest, but before they leave the map, for the item.
9. Lost Bloodlines is an excellent pack.  You get a scroll for a new class (male-only), Paragon, and the best lategame grinding map.  Smash Brethren 2 gives another scroll for a new class (female-only).  Rogues and Redeemers 3 is a very important one, as the skill it gives makes life a lot easier on Apotheosis.  Speaking of, Apotheosis is THE hardest map in the game.  The various Scrambles have additional character conversations.  The Future Past elaborates on the second-generation characters.  And Infinite Regalia gives an item that reduces shop prices by half, three random legendary weapons (but be quick), and a familiar face.

Have fun~!

12 minutes ago, eclipse said:

1. Serenes Forest has way more than forums!  It's also a site chock-full of information!  Start here.

Ouch, I probably should get my head out of the FEH forums more often. 

2. Bragging rights.

Since I won't brag with my first run, I'll take as much time as I can to not die. ^^

5. In order. . .you can call Spotpass teams for experience (stick to the lower-leveled ones), or you can refine your strategy. 

I'll try to keep my device on standby when on the train, but I think chances are low that I'll find someone running around with a 3DS. Ok, SpotPass ≠ StreetPass. Got it! 

No recommended level gap, but do take advantage of Pair Up! 

Wouldn't the inactive/protected unit only gain few XP, thus increase the gap by pairing? 

7. In order. . .I'm not sure what you're asking with the first question. 

I meant to ask if there was a different mechanic for blocks/addiational attacks if two allies are paired up or only adjacent to each other. 

7. [...] For your second one, It Depends.  Pair Up provides a nifty stat boost, and that should help you to determine who goes where.

I was not sure if attacking with a melee unit would prevent the ranged partner (i.e. a paired archer) from performing an additional attack, since he can't melee-attack. 

8. Yes, but this is rather rare.  Alternately, you can kill the opponent after they loot the chest, but before they leave the map, for the item.

Guess I'll have to create more save files then. I usually don't like maps that have a time limit. 

9. Lost Bloodlines is an excellent pack.  You get a scroll for a new class (male-only), Paragon, and the best lategame grinding map.  Smash Brethren 2 gives another scroll for a new class (female-only).  Rogues and Redeemers 3 is a very important one, as the skill it gives makes life a lot easier on Apotheosis.  Speaking of, Apotheosis is THE hardest map in the game.  The various Scrambles have additional character conversations.  The Future Past elaborates on the second-generation characters.  And Infinite Regalia gives an item that reduces shop prices by half, three random legendary weapons (but be quick), and a familiar face.

Cool, that gives me more of an idea what to buy. Is anything apart from Infinite Regalia recommended to buy early in the game?

Have fun~!

Thanks, also thank you very much again for your helpful answers! 

3 hours ago, mampfoid said:

I was not sure if attacking with a melee unit would prevent the ranged partner (i.e. a paired archer) from performing an additional attack, since he can't melee-attack.

They can, but it seems rare to me. Maybe it's just that I don't pay too much attention or maybe I'm just unlucky on that count. At any rate, they can definitely help out.

3 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Cool, that gives me more of an idea what to buy. Is anything apart from Infinite Regalia recommended to buy early in the game?

If you're just looking for an easier gameplay, you can also snag the Golden Gaffe and EXPonential Growth maps, they're part of the Golden Pack with Infinte Regalia so it's a smaller cost for a very useful set of 3 maps.

9 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

They can, but it seems rare to me. Maybe it's just that I don't pay too much attention or maybe I'm just unlucky on that count. At any rate, they can definitely help out.

Fine, then I'm free to combine my units (there are so many already at chapter 5!). 

9 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

If you're just looking for an easier gameplay, you can also snag the Golden Gaffe and EXPonential Growth maps, they're part of the Golden Pack with Infinte Regalia so it's a smaller cost for a very useful set of 3 maps.

It doesn't need to get easier, but I tend to try to not miss any content, which is difficult with that many units to level up. The half price DLC would help have the gold ready when my units need something or when there are unique items to obtain. I don't like to sell stuff in-game, it's a kind of collector habit. 

Good hint with the Gold Pack, I'll check it out. 

Thank you!

One thing you might want to know - Chrom, the main character, is forced to marry after chapter 11. Also, his bachelorette list is limited (and Sumia's similarly limited in terms of whom she can marry, so that's something to bear in mind).

With regards to 2, aside from bragging rights, completing the map faster is sometimes situationally advantageous. If you recall the Heroes maps that have reinforcements, you can finish some of those early if you're efficient about it. This is the case here, as well. If some reinforcements are proving problematic for your units, a possibility is to go for the throat so they never spawn to gank your guys. Do keep in mind that this means less EXP due to less kills, though.

In Awakening, you'll never miss out on anything you can't eventually buy from either Anna Shops or Spotpass. Older games have a couple items that sometimes fall into that category (usually the Silver/Member Card), but don't worry about that here. For the most part, unless you're doing some kind of challenge run that hinges on certain items, drops in Awakening (whether from enemies or chests) are generally of the "shiny cool thing that will give you an edge in the next 3-4 maps" category.

4 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Wouldn't the inactive/protected unit only gain few XP, thus increase the gap by pairing? 

I meant to ask if there was a different mechanic for blocks/addiational attacks if two allies are paired up or only adjacent to each other. 

This can be a problem if the under-leveled unit is in the back, yes. The under-leveled unit in the front with a pair-up partner means much higher stats for the under-leveled unit thanks to pair-up mechanics, though, so you'll want to do it that way if you can. For instance, Fred gives +4 Str, +1 Spd and +4 Def just for hanging out behind someone who doesn't even have a support rank with him (this is a combination of boosts based on his class and current stats—support ranks also further boost this), which can make even Donnel useful in a fight.

The Dual Strike/Guard mechanic doesn't change with adjacency, though you'll see inherently lower percentages because adjacent allies don't give the pair-up stat bonuses.

The game only cares about the range of the lead unit, thus allowing a bow partner to attack at melee range or a melee partner to attack at 2 range. Some of the animations actually get kind of funny because if the partner is far back enough, they make some rather huge jumps.

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

One thing you might want to know - Chrom, the main character, is forced to marry after chapter 11. Also, his bachelorette list is limited (and Sumia's similarly limited in terms of whom she can marry, so that's something to bear in mind).

A forced marriage? Poor guy. I still have some chapters to go until that point, but I guess I'll let myself surprise. 

If I won't be content with the outcome, there still will be the possibility of a replay. 

4 hours ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

With regards to 2, aside from bragging rights, completing the map faster is sometimes situationally advantageous. If you recall the Heroes maps that have reinforcements, you can finish some of those early if you're efficient about it. This is the case here, as well. If some reinforcements are proving problematic for your units, a possibility is to go for the throat so they never spawn to gank your guys. Do keep in mind that this means less EXP due to less kills, though.

I don't mind one or two opponents more, at least I'm not forced to rush the maps. The situation in map 5 is more or less solved, Rescue is surprisingly mighty. ^^

In Awakening, you'll never miss out on anything you can't eventually buy from either Anna Shops or Spotpass. Older games have a couple items that sometimes fall into that category (usually the Silver/Member Card), but don't worry about that here. For the most part, unless you're doing some kind of challenge run that hinges on certain items, drops in Awakening (whether from enemies or chests) are generally of the "shiny cool thing that will give you an edge in the next 3-4 maps" category. 

That's good to know. I'm not the most pedantic collector, but I hate the feeling to have possibly missed something important. 

I didn't get any spotpass response yet (device was switched off on the first days). It's switched on in the system settings and in-game though.

This can be a problem if the under-leveled unit is in the back, yes. The under-leveled unit in the front with a pair-up partner means much higher stats for the under-leveled unit thanks to pair-up mechanics, though, so you'll want to do it that way if you can. For instance, Fred gives +4 Str, +1 Spd and +4 Def just for hanging out behind someone who doesn't even have a support rank with him (this is a combination of boosts based on his class and current stats—support ranks also further boost this), which can make even Donnel useful in a fight.

The Dual Strike/Guard mechanic doesn't change with adjacency, though you'll see inherently lower percentages because adjacent allies don't give the pair-up stat bonuses.

The game only cares about the range of the lead unit, thus allowing a bow partner to attack at melee range or a melee partner to attack at 2 range. Some of the animations actually get kind of funny because if the partner is far back enough, they make some rather huge jumps.

Thanks for clarifying these three points, that's more or less how I expected it to work. 

I'll use pairing for XP grinding and tight spots, but sometimes it'll be difficult on open maps to protect healers with fewer wall-units. 

Thanks, both of you. I'll come back with new questions for sure. :-)

Spotpass, not Streetpass. Streetpass can let you buy stuff from other players' teams, though I wouldn't really count on someone giving you a good inventory. Spotpass, however, is set in stone, per character. For instance, if you summon Celica and then shop with her, she'll sell Celica's Gale, among some other items. Some of the gear can get pretty expensive, though, so you might not be able to afford it yet (and most units will either not need or not have the weapon ranks for stuff along those lines, anyway, since that includes such overkill for your point in the game as brave weapons).

Beware of relying on wall strategies too much. Awakening's design encourages aggressive one-rounding (the open maps being part of it, but also the sheer volume of enemy mooks), kind of like with Heroes, though your units will generally have more durability here, with pair-up and supports only increasing said durability (and offenses) even further.

11 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Spotpass, not Streetpass. Streetpass can let you buy stuff from other players' teams, though I wouldn't really count on someone giving you a good inventory. Spotpass, however, is set in stone, per character. For instance, if you summon Celica and then shop with her, she'll sell Celica's Gale, among some other items. Some of the gear can get pretty expensive, though, so you might not be able to afford it yet (and most units will either not need or not have the weapon ranks for stuff along those lines, anyway, since that includes such overkill for your point in the game as brave weapons).

Beware of relying on wall strategies too much. Awakening's design encourages aggressive one-rounding (the open maps being part of it, but also the sheer volume of enemy mooks), kind of like with Heroes, though your units will generally have more durability here, with pair-up and supports only increasing said durability (and offenses) even further.

I'll have to see into this spotpass thing (didn't know there was summoning in Awakening), currently I'm still at chapter 5. I nearly beat all enemies, but Lon'qu died to an axe flier at the last moment. 

Does the weapon triangle count like in Heroes (+20%)?

How do you keep your healer save then? Opposing fliers cover nearly half the map. 

18 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I'll have to see into this spotpass thing (didn't know there was summoning in Awakening), currently I'm still at chapter 5. I nearly beat all enemies, but Lon'qu died to an axe flier at the last moment. 

How do you keep your healer save then? Opposing fliers cover nearly half the map. 

Spotpass content is essentualy free DLC. It comes in three types: 1. optional endgame maps that allow you to recruit more characters, but don't unlock untill the final boss is avalible, and you have activated them. 2. Bonus items. THese are a variety of items at different power levels, ranging from "good early game, can buy in store later" to "Legendary weapon only avalible by spotpass and weapon dlc." Once downloaded to you 3ds, they can be used placed in your convoy once per save file. 3. Legacy teams, which consist of a team based on a character from all previous games in the franchise. Like with street-pass teams, you can buy stuff from them, buy the services of the team leader, or fight them to recruit the team leader for free (they rang in strength from "utter garbage" to "inferior backup in case you killed your thief or staffbot or something" to "hands down the best unit of their class in the game"). Note that the same spotpass unit can be summoned infinate times with no limits (although you can only have one of each unit in your party or on the field at a time), allowing you to buy infinate copies of items that are either not avalible from stores (celecia's gale), or can't be bought untill lategame (dragonstone+, brave weapons). Note that you need to download all of this content from the spotpass menu, and then insert each item into your file one at a time. It REALLY helps out. More info here: https://serenesforest.net/awakening/miscellaneous/spotpass/

Note also that you are accumulating "renown" whenever you kill enemies. There is a renown rewards menu hidden deep in the wireless menue (for some reason), which gives you items whenever you get a certain number of points. Note that you get enough renown just from playing story chapters to get usefull rewards. More info here: https://serenesforest.net/awakening/miscellaneous/renown/

Edited by sirmola

It's under the online options. I can't remember the exact steps by memory, but you can get into a list where it has games listed up to FE12 and you can select certain named units from the list. They'll spawn on the map at locations and you can choose to fight them, hire them or buy from their inventory.

The weapon triangle in the main games is quite a bit different from Heroes and Awakening/Fates complicate it further. Basically, it depends on your weapon rank, where there's a generic scaling bonus added to the one with the advantage and taken from the one with disadvantage. The one with disadvantage also loses all of their weapon-rank bonuses more on that later. The generic modifier is 5 Hit for Rank E/D, 5 more Hit for C, 1 Atk for B and 5 additional Hit for A. So, let's say you got your Fred to A Lances and he attacked a Myrmidon. He would gain 15 Hit and 1 Atk, while the Myrmidon would lose 15 Hit and 1 Atk. Now, on to weapon-rank bonuses. This is dependant on the weapon, but all bonuses start at C. Lances get 5 more Hit, then 1 Atk at B and another Atk at A. Fred with A Lances would therefore get +5 Hit and +2 Atk as a passive bonus so long as he's using a lance and not fighting axes with it.

You basically keep your healers safe by murdering everything. Ideally, your pair would sit up in the range of 3-4 enemies and one-round all of them on EP, keeping them from ever approaching your healer. Then your healer can move up on PP to patch them up so that they can keep advancing. One other advantage your brawlers will have over their equivalents in Heroes is that there's healing items in this game, so they can keep themselves healthy if the situation is too risky for your healer. This tends to be the main recourse for a wounded pair that isn't strong enough to keep the area around them clear of enemies. As the game progresses, you'll also gain access to Physics (which have a much longer range than in Heroes) and buyable Rescues, which can let you do some really cheesy things.

28 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Nope, though it's worth heeding regardless. Kuroi got in first and went over the specifics.

It is also worth noting that tomes are colorless in this game. Although fire, wind, lightning and dark magic all show up, all mages can equip all of them except for dark magic (which only dark mages, sorcerers or people with a really rare skill can use). They are also uneffected by the weapon triangle, which means the only difference between them is effects and stat differences. Stones are also colorless.

10 minutes ago, Logos said:

The only two words you need are:

-Gale

-Force

That is all.

Reveal hidden contents

Brave Weapons in this game are so broken too btw, but above all else; Galeforce.

IMO, Galeforce is only really usefull near endgame unless you grind or lowman, simply because you will not get it untill a few maps from the end (It is a level 15 promoted skill after all). THe notable exception is spotpass jamka, who comes with galeforce at level 15 unpromoted! He really is that broken, and was one of the MVPs of my spotpass only run. THat being said, it is usefull for things like the spotpass bonus maps, and the DLC.

As for Brave weapons, they are in fact broken. They have no speed penalty, and double attack on enemy phase as well as player phase. Also, eaish hit o a brave weapon counts as an opprotunity to trigger a dual strike, so you can theoreticaly get 6 hits in before an enemy even has a chance to counter (although this is more of a strat for high level DLC) THe fact that the spotpass teams let you buy all of them early really helps (otherwise, you can only buy them right at the end of the game).

Edited by sirmola

Just now, sirmola said:

IMO, Galeforce is only really usefull near endgame unless you grind or lowman, simply because you will not get it untill a few maps from the end (It is a level 15 promoted skill after all). THe notable exception is spotpass jamka, who comes with galeforce at level 15 unpromoted! He really is that broken, and was one of the MVPs of my spotpass only run. THat being said, it is usefull for things like the spotpass bonus maps, and the DLC.

Well I was thinking more like preparing to go all out on Galeforce as you progress through the game, but yes. Galeforce is better near the endgame, and potentially after for DLCs.

2 hours ago, Logos said:

-Gale

-Force

That is all.

Reveal hidden contents

Brave Weapons in this game are so broken too btw, but above all else; Galeforce.

That won't really be much help until postgame, where you can set up units to ORKO everything they look at (like was previously stated, it IS a level 15 skill). It doesn't really help that without reclasses, only three units can hope to get it (and one of THOSE is the one unit in the game that you can lock yourself out of getting if you're not careful with your pairings).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

11 hours ago, sirmola said:

Spotpass content is essentualy free DLC. It comes in three types: [...]

10 hours ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

It's under the online options. I can't remember the exact steps by memory, but you can get into a list where it has games listed up to FE12 and you can select certain named units from the list. They'll spawn on the map at locations and you can choose to fight them, hire them or buy from their inventory.

Wow, that's actually a lot of stuff to discover. Perhaps I'll save most spotpass content for my second run, since already now I'm kind of overwhelmed by all those choices (especially which units to bring, which not).

Note also that you are accumulating "renown" whenever you kill enemies. There is a renown rewards menu hidden deep in the wireless menue (for some reason), which gives you items whenever you get a certain number of points. Note that you get enough renown just from playing story chapters to get usefull rewards. More info here: https://serenesforest.net/awakening/miscellaneous/renown/

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have found this on my own. Is it possible to get the better stuff, without bringing Renown from an older Savegame and without doing many spotpass fights? 

11 hours ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

The weapon triangle in the main games is quite a bit different from Heroes and Awakening/Fates complicate it further. Basically, it depends on your weapon rank, where there's a generic scaling bonus added to the one with the advantage and taken from the one with disadvantage. The one with disadvantage also loses all of their weapon-rank bonuses more on that later. [...]

11 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Nope, though it's worth heeding regardless. Kuroi got in first and went over the specifics.

Good to know. I think I'll get used to this, even if the 20% rule in Heroes was better for own quick calculations. 

11 hours ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

You basically keep your healers safe by murdering everything. [...] One other advantage your brawlers will have over their equivalents in Heroes is that there's healing items in this game, so they can keep themselves healthy if the situation is too risky for your healer. [...] As the game progresses, you'll also gain access to Physics (which have a much longer range than in Heroes) and buyable Rescues, which can let you do some really cheesy things.

By healing items you mean potions or something like healing effects on weapons/rings etc.? I already cheesed the start of chapter 5 with Rescue, pretty handy stuff! 

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

It is also worth noting that tomes are colorless in this game. Although fire, wind, lightning and dark magic all show up, all mages can equip all of them except for dark magic (which only dark mages, sorcerers or people with a really rare skill can use). They are also uneffected by the weapon triangle, which means the only difference between them is effects and stat differences. Stones are also colorless.

I guess there are units with weaknesses to different tomes? Like undead to fire, flying units to wind etc. 

5 hours ago, Logos said:

-Gale

-Force

That is all.

Reveal hidden contents

5 hours ago, sirmola said:

[...]

3 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

That won't really be much help until postgame, where you can set up units to ORKO everything they look at (like was previously stated, it IS a level 15 skill). It doesn't really help that without reclasses, only three units can hope to get it (and one of THOSE is the one unit in the game that you can lock yourself out of getting if you're not careful with your pairings).

I love Galeforce in Heroes (made a Galeforce Fun Squad, see my FEH projects post) and planned to make Cordelia a fixed member of my team in Awakening once she arrives. 

I'm really delighted by all that kind and helpful feedback, thanks everybody! 

It gets more valuable the higher the difficulty level, especially with highman runs. This lets the main tank (usually Robin, but cases can be made for Cord or Sumia) snipe threatening units to keep match-ups favourable for the other units who are trying to overcome the enemy stat curve. For all-out offense, yeah, it mostly shines near the end or in lowman runs, but it's still got general high value.

6 hours ago, mampfoid said:

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have found this on my own. Is it possible to get the better stuff, without bringing Renown from an older Savegame and without doing many spotpass fights? 

Good to know. I think I'll get used to this, even if the 20% rule in Heroes was better for own quick calculations. 

By healing items you mean potions or something like healing effects on weapons/rings etc.? I already cheesed the start of chapter 5 with Rescue, pretty handy stuff! 

I guess there are units with weaknesses to different tomes? Like undead to fire, flying units to wind etc. 

I love Galeforce in Heroes (made a Galeforce Fun Squad, see my FEH projects post) and planned to make Cordelia a fixed member of my team in Awakening once she arrives. 

I'm really delighted by all that kind and helpful feedback, thanks everybody! 

You don't have to do any fights if you summon a Spotpass character. In fact, if you shop with them, the option to fight is lost unless you resummon them. There should be very little you can't get from either drops or shops later in the game if you don't bother with Spotpass or Renown. Some of it hinges on RNG because Anna's shops, which sell some really good stuff, has a semi-random inventory (it picks from a certain pool based on location and almost every pool has a couple rare things). Things that are kind of exceptions are "character X" weapons and few other thematic things. "Kind of" because you can get most of them as drops from the sparkling tiles, but the pool of items is big enough that it's not a good idea to count on getting anything in particular.

Once you've got the numbers in your head, it shouldn't be much slower than the Heroes calcs, since the stuff's all flat numbers of relatively low value.

Yes, basically potions. Vulneraries, Concoctions and Elixirs can all be used by any unit to get some HP back.

In Awakening, it's pretty much just wind being better versus fliers. Otherwise, it's kind of a trade-off game. Wind is weaker, but more accurate. Fire is a balance between Mt and Hit. Thunder is the most inaccurate, but has the most power and a small Crit bonus. Flux has more Mt and less Hit than regular Thunder, but beyond that, dark magic is mostly quirky effects, some of which are stupid powerful (Nosferatu) or more gambly niche (Ruin).

Wow, that's actually a lot of stuff to discover. Perhaps I'll save most spotpass content for my second run, since already now I'm kind of overwhelmed by all those choices (especially which units to bring, which not).

Buying a spotpass unit also gives you 50 renown. THe most efficient way to grind renown is to buy wolt (the cheapest spotpass unit) over and over, usualy after getting gold from the gold DLC.

Flying units are weak to all wind tomes, and dragons are weak to the book of naga (which is one of the abovementioned spotpass bonus items). Nothing is weak to fire,  thunder, or dark. Thunder's niche is being the highest power tome type that all mages can equip, as well as having a small bonus to crit (it has lower accuracy, but that tends to be less of an isue in this game. Wind is effective against fliers, has the highest accuracy, and is cheapest. Fire has intermendiate hit and accuracy, and no special charicteristics (with the exception of 3 special tomes, which are usefull). I honestly only use fire to save durability on other tomes, or when the game gives me a powerfull fire tome (or when I want to use the above-mentioned 3 special tomes).

21 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

It gets more valuable the higher the difficulty level, especially with highman runs. This lets the main tank (usually Robin, but cases can be made for Cord or Sumia) snipe threatening units to keep match-ups favourable for the other units who are trying to overcome the enemy stat curve. For all-out offense, yeah, it mostly shines near the end or in lowman runs, but it's still got general high value.

I get what you're saying, but still, I wouldn't expect to see Galeforce until late enough that its overall impact is limited (I'm thinking "a few chapters from the end of the game" late). It doesn't really help matters that Sumia and Cordelia, especially the latter, don't have enough magic to make Dark Flier an appealing choice... nor does it that Rally Movement pales in comparison to Rally Speed.

4 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I get what you're saying, but still, I wouldn't expect to see Galeforce until late enough that its overall impact is limited (I'm thinking "a few chapters from the end of the game" late). It doesn't really help matters that Sumia and Cordelia, especially the latter, don't have enough magic to make Dark Flier an appealing choice... nor does it that Rally Movement pales in comparison to Rally Speed.

Well, two things: enemy Res is super garbage, so even poor Mag tends to do at least as much as most physical attacks with moderate Str, and Dual Strikes. This is especially true when considering that 1~2-range weapons are king and that tomes are the best among those. Like, even a basic Thunder will usually be a better pick than Hand Axes or Javelins. Then comes the Dual Strikes, which is part of why 1~2-range weapons are king. Robin can also have Galeforce by the end of C13 while still training 3-4 other combat allies (with the rest of the slots filled by staffers or Olivia). Sumia or Cord take a little longer, but shouldn't be more than 2-3 chapters/paralogues behind.

And this is just an L+ thing, but having the option to bypass Pavise+ or Aegis+ at will is really valuable. I wouldn't really value Rally Spd much over Rally Move. Both aren't really great on a unit that's going to be a main or off-tank because they should be fighting in the thick of things. They want to be the ones with the rallies put on them, not the ones using it and burning their turn. As such, Rally Spd is only really more appealing if the Falcon Knight is going to be relegated to staff support. Otherwise, they just won't get used either way.

54 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Well, two things: enemy Res is super garbage, so even poor Mag tends to do at least as much as most physical attacks with moderate Str, and Dual Strikes. This is especially true when considering that 1~2-range weapons are king and that tomes are the best among those. Like, even a basic Thunder will usually be a better pick than Hand Axes or Javelins. Then comes the Dual Strikes, which is part of why 1~2-range weapons are king. Robin can also have Galeforce by the end of C13 while still training 3-4 other combat allies (with the rest of the slots filled by staffers or Olivia). Sumia or Cord take a little longer, but shouldn't be more than 2-3 chapters/paralogues behind.

And this is just an L+ thing, but having the option to bypass Pavise+ or Aegis+ at will is really valuable. I wouldn't really value Rally Spd much over Rally Move. Both aren't really great on a unit that's going to be a main or off-tank because they should be fighting in the thick of things. They want to be the ones with the rallies put on them, not the ones using it and burning their turn. As such, Rally Spd is only really more appealing if the Falcon Knight is going to be relegated to staff support. Otherwise, they just won't get used either way.

The problem is, while tomes might be the best 1-2 weapon, most of what tends to attack from range is either archers (I dunno about you, but I'd rather not have to pray that that Silver Bow Sniper or whatever whiffs because otherwise it's instant death) or other mages (which tend to have high resistance). What's more, dual strikes tend to not be very reliable until you put a ring on it. On top of this, you're talking about lowmanning situations, which I don't really like talking about (I consider watching paint dry more fun to watch than lowmanning).

You have a point there that neither one of them might be that useful in the grand scheme of things, though depending on the enemy make up, I might be rather hesitant to get my Falcoknights in the thick of it (I REALLY must question what standards you have where Falcoknights can be considered tanks... I wouldn't see it unless the enemy lineup was dominated by mages)... And to be blunt, the less I have to say about the shitfest that is Lunatic+, the better.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

5 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

The problem is, while tomes might be the best 1-2 weapon, most of what tends to attack from range is either archers (I dunno about you, but I'd rather not have to pray that that Silver Bow Sniper or whatever whiffs because otherwise it's instant death) or other mages (which tend to have high resistance). What's more, dual strikes tend to not be very reliable until you put a ring on it. On top of this, you're talking about lowmanning situations, which I don't really like talking about (I consider watching paint dry more fun to watch than lowmanning).

You have a point there, though depending on the enemy make up, I might be rather hesitant to get my Falcoknights in the thick of it...

Nah, have you seen the amount of mooks that run around with 1~2-range axes and javelins? That's the big part of why 1~2-range weapons are important. Yeah, there's also bows and mages, but they tend to only come around in force in a handful of maps that are in mid-late game (there's basically exactly two story maps where mage density is high enough to be an issue—17 and 23) when the Dual Strike death machine is going for anyone trained. A reasonably trained flier can also tank a forged Silver Bow without dying, though taking that hit is obviously pretty bad. However, Avoid bonuses get so dumb in the mid-early-to-mid-late game that evasion tanking is actually legit until enemies start running around with double forges and Hit +10/20. Dual Strikes get reasonably reliable around the B-rank mark if you're just aiming for 1 strike out of 2 attempts (which you really don't need more than the one 90% of the time, even on the Lunatics).

But I'm not talking about lowmanning? Unless you consider having 5 able combatants lowmanning, but that's a very funny definition, considering you'll typically get 5-6 people pulling ahead of the pack as front-line fighters in any main series game unless you're purposefully sandbagging yourself. 14 slots is way more than can reasonably get full combat EXP and 5 leads with 5 pair-up partners (who can stay relevant enough if their DSs are landing kill shots every now and then) with 3 staffers and Olivia is a very strong highman or full deploy comp. Olivia ends up being the only one who can never take combat because the staffers get enough staff EXP that they can reasonably contribute attacks if they need to.

Well, the Falcon Knights do typically want to be brawling, even if it's not on the absolute main line. Therefore, they'd like someone else to put the rallies on them, not sit around rallying other people. I guess there might be a few niche cases where they can charge into the fray and rally someone to put them over a benchmark for doubling, but that's really specific when chances are the Falcon Knight can get more out of spending her turn initiating on the enemy.