Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Where's Meta Ridley?

Ridley only has 4 colors so presumably his Meta alts weren't in this build.

Ike has 8 costumes so I'd assume the ones shown are final, however.

Edit: Unrelated, but it looks like Fourside was already confirmed. Somehow missed that it hadn't  been when i made an earlier post about it.

Edited by Robert of Normandy

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Where's Meta Ridley?

Not here. Happy they consolidated Little Mac's wire frame alts into just two. One with the jacket and one without.

2 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Ridley only has 4 colors so presumably his Meta alts weren't in this build.

Ike has 8 costumes so I'd assume the ones shown are final, however.

That was 8 variations. They just don't look much different.

Just now, Glennstavos said:

Not here. Happy they consolidated Little Mac's wire frame alts into just two. One with the jacket and one without.

Yeah, Little Mac having 16 palettes, 8 of which were just wire frames, was kinda... excessive.

Though I'm a total hypocrite since I miss Wario having a full 6 palettes for both overalls and biker outfit back in Brawl.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Derp

Well, guess I'm just wrong about everything tonight. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I lack confirmation but i heard that there is an option to turn off stage hazards. 

Mentioned during the Tourney.

Frigate Orpheon was played on and it didn't invert at all; the platforms just went up and down a bit.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I lack confirmation but i heard that there is an option to turn off stage hazards. 

1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

Frigate Orpheon was played on and it didn't invert at all; the platforms just went up and down a bit.

I've heard some people say it happens in 1 on 1 automatically?

In any case, that's quite interesting. I was thinking it wouldn't happen since both Omega and Battlefield forms are happening, but this is quite nice to hear.

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Ah, good to know. I wonder if this will allow some stages to be tournament legal, such as Wily Castle.

12 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Unrelated, but it looks like Fourside was already confirmed. Somehow missed that it hadn't  been when i made an earlier post about it.

Fourside I sort of liked as a kid, even though its narrow, small and jagged platforms, plus the slippery, close to blast zone temporary UFO didn't make it all that great a stage. Imagine if they decided to go full Moonside with it as a hidden option.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Long live PokeFloats!

Good for it, because playing that, I'm not. The end of the "parade" *shutters* so much of a challenge staying alive and afloat.

I wouldn't mind a Pokefloats 2 though. Featuring plenty of newer Pokes, I'll take Latios and Latias, and Jellicent for some reason.

4 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Oh man! I like Chrom why’d they take Ike’s Chrom variation? 

I guess it makes sense since he only has 4 costumes as an adult now...

Dark Samus is also gone, with no AT in sight.

...My gut's telling me they may go ham with Echo characters here.

5 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Dark Samus is also gone, with no AT in sight.

But why would Chrom be one? His game is over...

dark samus i is I can see being playable that’s neat and Metroid deserves more than 2. Maybe Kirby can get an Echo?

a lot of Echoes makes sense, because if you think about it we will only get 5 unique newcomers so Echoes makes sense!

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

and some characters not taking up a space on the character select.

Hm? What was this?

Are custom moves not returning? Seems weird that they'd put so much work into this currently 65 character roster but not add custom moves for the remaining 15 or so that don't have any from a previous game.

Probably not, which is a shame. They weren't very popular, but a lot of that I think was about how they were implemented rather than how they worked. With so many characters, maybe they decided it wasn't worth the extra work.

They also seemed to sidestep the subject of how our character roster will go from 12 to 65+.

In this case, I think we shouldn't take the visuals too literally; I doubt we're actually starting with just 12 (or even 8) characters. It looked like a dramatic way to showcase the idea that the roster will increase the more you play.

7 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

But why would Chrom be one? His game is over...

dark samus i is I can see being playable that’s neat and Metroid deserves more than 2. Maybe Kirby can get an Echo?

a lot of Echoes makes sense, because if you think about it we will only get 5 unique newcomers so Echoes makes sense!

As is Dark Samus' game; it was defeated for good in Metroid Prime 3.

Also, assuming Bill Trinen actually said only 4 more newcomers, that would make 6-- Inkling and Ridley are the currently revealed. 

4 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Good! They never referred to anybody as a "clone" before, now they have an actual branding for them that sounds positive.

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

Hm? What was this?

Echo Characters

Probably not, which is a shame. They weren't very popular, but a lot of that I think was about how they were implemented rather than how they worked. With so many characters, maybe they decided it wasn't worth the extra work.

Actually I was expressing my skepticism about their exclusion. Why throw away 80 percent of the work you need rather than finish the remaining 20 percent to keep a major mechanic in the game? Plus in general, I think a lot of us believe we know more about the game than we reasonably do. Like I said, we have a decent amount of details regarding just one mode - Versus Mode. And everything else we know is just enough that we can follow what's going on in the tournament. 

46 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Here's the part with Ike's alts. Looks like just his Ranger and Hero outfits, though with some colors referencing other outfits.

Well dang... Yeah, no Lord or Vanguard outfits there. Though I suppose that last one kinda looks like Vanguard colors. Bit hard to tell with the quality.

But at least I can still pick RD Ike at all!

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Echo Characters

And where did you hear that they won't take up space on the character select? Considering Alph and the koopalings still appear to be alts, echo characters seem likely to retain their own slot like before.

10 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

As is Dark Samus' game; it was defeated for good in Metroid Prime 3.

Also, assuming Bill Trinen actually said only 4 more newcomers, that would make 6-- Inkling and Ridley are the currently revealed. 

Wait he said that? 

I knew it! If you pay close attention, the amiibo case had 2 empty spots. Meaning...4 newcomers 

11 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

And Daisy. So that means only three are left if there will only be six total.

My guesses would be Dixie Kong, Rex and Pyra, and K. Rool. Two of these being DK reps is a bit weird to me, but I can't think of any other guesses as plausible as these.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And Daisy. So that means only three are left if there will only be six total.

My guesses would be Dixie Kong, Rex and Pyra, and K. Rool. Two of these being DK reps is a bit weird to me, but I can't think of any other guesses as plausible as these.

I don't think Daisy counts. She's a newcomer, sure, but i think their trying identify newcomers as characters with unique movesets. Notice how Daisy wasn't really given the same type of treatment as the Inklings or Ridley. Instead, she was simply revealed as an example of Echo Characters and her having the same number as Peach only strengthens the idea that Echo Characters don't actually count as newcomers in this game.

Just now, Armagon said:

I don't think Daisy counts. She's a newcomer, sure, but i think their trying identify newcomers as characters with unique movesets. Notice how Daisy wasn't really given the same type of treatment as the Inklings or Ridley. Instead, she was simply revealed as an example of Echo Characters and her having the same number as Peach only strengthens the idea that Echo Characters don't actually count as newcomers in this game.

They didn't specifically say she didn't count though, so I'm going to assume she does for now.

10 minutes ago, Florete said:

And where did you hear that they won't take up space on the character select? Considering Alph and the koopalings still appear to be alts, echo characters seem likely to retain their own slot like before.

Well I don't know if they will or won't take up a space now that we've seen character alts. None of the three echo characters are in the demo. I made the assumption based on their ordering on the fighter list. The gist of it is I was referring to what Echo Characters are in my post.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

They didn't specifically say she didn't count though, so I'm going to assume she does for now.

They didn't, but i'd imagine if she did, she wouldn't be sharing the same number as Peach. Nor would she have been be casually revealed.