Special Heroes Coming! Spring Festival Vol. 2 - From March 22nd! (Now with VIDEO: Sharena, Alfonse, Catria, Kagero)

Coolmanio

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

One data point does not a pattern make. I can't believe how often I have to say this.

While I completely agree, the fact that Masked Marth came with no skill attached and the same stat baseline as Lucina indicates to me that they were probably initially planning something along the lines of alternate units before changing their mind with Tobin and the 2nd Tempest. 

If they had not been planning something like that initially, they probably would have given Masked Marth some basic skills and perhaps a different statline. 

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Prior to Brave Heroes, all units followed certain parameters for stats, then they made up new parameters out of the blue that are arbitrarily applied to some characters but not others. Same thing with coming with full skill sets.

BST boost is for helping underutilized classes be more viable, such as non-Distant Counter-Weapon melee infantry units (arguably the shittiest class before the implementation of trenches because they had zero niche; at least armor units can be used as Arena Assault Team 1) and armor units. I do not agree with the practice of straight up giving them a BST boost, but something needed to be done to address that. Outside of BH!Lyn, none of the new ranged ponies got a BST boost.

The new BST boosted classification are also not arbitrary if you ignore BH!Ike, BH!Lyn, and Sigurd:

+1 BST, +2 GP: melee armor, ranged armor, melee infantry
+1 BST, +1 GP: ranged infantry
+0 BST, +2 GP: melee fliers
+0 BST, +1 GP: ranged fliers, melee cavalry

You can check it out on the wiki's Stat Growth page.

58 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Masked Lucina would indicate that TT units would be alternates.

All TT units were related to the Tempest, then Marissa happened.

Lucina!Marth is one point of reference, which is not enough to imply any pattern.

I do not see how Marissa is not related to the Tempest.

54 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Seasonal banners suddenly started running for a month at a time as opposed to the more standard length.

Players asked for Seasonal Banners to be extended. Many were complaining they did not have enough time to get them.

56 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Legendary Heroes looked like they would be OCs, then Ike came along. 

Fjorm and Gunnthrá are only two points of reference. Two is not enough to establish a trend in my opinion.

Just now, Anacybele said:

I'm aware. I think Cordelia was written better and is prettier though.

Heroes sort of fucked up her character art. Wish they stuck with Awakening's art style from start like for BB!Cordelia.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah. Not only did Est treat him poorly, she looks too young for him. She looks 14 while Abel looks at least 20 imo.

I don't think Est ever treated Abel poorly. It's highly believed, and I support it as well, that Est left Abel out of guilt for forcing Abel to fight against Marth and the Altean army. Even if she was saved in the nick of time, she never stopped thinking how because of her, Abel had to go against his friend that was once his lord.

Edited by omegaxis1

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Really? I didn't think Catria and Palla were more than a year apart in age, they look so close, imo. Est though, she definitely looks much younger.

They're three years apart according to the listed ages that Echoes (where they're 20 and 23 respectively) had for it's ultimately scrapped alcohol mechanic. Est, meanwhile, is four years younger than Catria (so 16 in Echoes).

4 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

They're three years apart according to the listed ages that Echoes (where they're 20 and 23 respectively) had for it's ultimately scrapped alcohol mechanic. Est, meanwhile, is four years younger than Catria (so 16 in Echoes).

Alcohol mechanic? Wow. :/ Glad that never became a thing. But I see.

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

Players asked for Seasonal Banners to be extended. Many were complaining they did not have enough time to get them.

Except Christmas didn't get that treatment for some reason... Instead of starting at the beginning of December, it started in the middle and didn't run through January. I don't know why it couldn't have started on Dec. 1 though.

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

Heroes sort of fucked up her character art. Wish they stuck with Awakening's art style from start like for BB!Cordelia.

I'd rather have a different style than either. Kozaki is a good artist, but not my favorite. Bride Cordelia is nice though.

Edited by Anacybele

6 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

While I completely agree, the fact that Masked Marth came with no skill attached and the same stat baseline as Lucina indicates to me that they were probably initially planning something along the lines of alternate units before changing their mind with Tobin and the 2nd Tempest. 

If they had not been planning something like that initially, they probably would have given Masked Marth some basic skills and perhaps a different statline. 

My interpretation is actually completely different. Masked Marth was the first ever free 5-star character, and I think they were trying to test the waters to see how that would go before fully committing to making it a thing.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Alcohol mechanic? Wow. :/ Glad that never became a thing. But I see.

It was just that they planned to have the various alcoholic beverages (Wine, Ale, Leftover Ale and Ram Wine) found in the game to be able to be consumed like any other provision item but only by anyone who was at least 20. It didn't get implemented as I previously said so instead those items can only be used as offerings to Mila in the final game.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Except Christmas didn't get that treatment for some reason... Instead of starting at the beginning of December, it started in the middle and didn't run through January. I don't know why it couldn't have started on Dec. 1 though.

Good point. I am guessing they are trying to gather new data to compare the revenue between 2 and 4 week seasonal banners. although I am not sure if Christmas is a good season to pick for that since it is a huge spending season in the West so it might skew their data a bit.

Since seasonal banners returned to their 4 week format, I assume the 4 week format earns more money, or at least earns about the same.

4 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

It was just that they planned to have the various alcoholic beverages (Wine, Ale, Leftover Ale and Ram Wine) found in the game to be able to be consumed like any other provision item but only by anyone who was at least 20. It didn't get implemented as I previously said so instead those items can only be used as offerings to Mila in the final game.

I see. It would've still been a problem though, because some countries have differing drinking ages. Which would've meant that in some versions, more characters can use those beverages than others to line up with those laws because laws and cultures, with the west getting the shortest straw here because the US drinking age is 21, older than most other countries have it. And that might not have sat well with many people. So I can see why it was scrapped.

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

Good point. I am guessing they are trying to gather new data to compare the revenue between 2 and 4 week seasonal banners. although I am not sure if Christmas is a good season to pick for that since it is a huge spending season in the West so it might skew their data a bit.

Since seasonal banners returned to their 4 week format, I assume the 4 week format earns more money, or at least earns about the same.

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. I also wonder if Christmas was only two weeks because it's not big in Japan. Which would be kind of mean imo. Even though it's a bigger thing in the west, the west kind of has a bigger population, you know, which also means more money...

Edited by Anacybele

23 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I don't think Est ever treated Abel poorly. It's highly believed, and I support it as well, that Est left Abel out of guilt for forcing Abel to fight against Marth and the Altean army. Even if she was saved in the nick of time, she never stopped thinking how because of her, Abel had to go against his friend that was once his lord.

Doesn't even help that Abel reinforce (but probably in a non-intentional way) how useless is Est for saying he loves her... but not knowing what kind of good thing say about her.

Est:
...Say, Abel. Why did you fall in love with me?

Abel:
T-that's uh... rather sudden.

Est:
Please, Abel. I must know.

Abel:
Good grief... It was so... natural, I never gave it a second thought.

Est:

Abel:
Ah, are you crying!? I'm sorry, I'll answer properly this time! Err...

Est:
Abel, thank you. It's okay. 

https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Heroes_of_Light_and_Shadow_Base:_Abel_and_Est

Edited by Troykv

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The reason it didn't start on December 1 I've explained before.

It's so that the Arena bonus heroes for the banner coincide with the relevant holiday.

I honestly have no idea why they decided to make it only 2 weeks in length unless for some reason they didn't want it overlapping the New Year banner by a full 2 weeks. Really no idea.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

The reason it didn't start on December 1 I've explained before.

It's so that the Arena bonus heroes for the banner coincide with the relevant holiday.

I honestly have no idea why they decided to make it only 2 weeks in length unless for some reason they didn't want it overlapping the New Year banner by a full 2 weeks. Really no idea.

What? I'm not sure I get what you mean here by the arena bonus heroes thing. But yeah, for whatever reason, they didn't seem to want Christmas to overlap with New Year's.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I see. It would've still been a problem though, because some countries have differing drinking ages. Which would've meant that in some versions, more characters can use those beverages than others to line up with those laws because laws and cultures, with the west getting the shortest straw here because the US drinking age is 21, older than most other countries have it. And that might not have sat well with many people. So I can see why it was scrapped.

I can definitely see that as a reason for scrapping it but I'm glad it was considered, if only because of it we now actually know Fire Emblem character ages for once, so that's nice.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

Catria is likely more popular due to the case of her unrequited love being Marth. Palla also was in a similar case, as she loved Abel. Est's dislike is because she is seen as a spoiled brat and basically took Abel from Palla, so its a case of "Die for our Ship!" thing. 

In fact, Cordelia's unrequited love is in fact a reference to Catria as well.

Don't forget that Est just ups and abandons Abel. That is my big beef against her.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

And I don't see a response to the other questions I presented, so I assume that you conceded those points.

And let's not also forget Rhajat being added in a gauntlet banner which was unprecedented. Or the Black Knight who was in no banner at all and was only available as TT reward and the starter pack.

As for why they wouldn't want to rerun it, I don't know, IS doesn't always make sense. Maybe to keep the appeal of Legendary banners up.

Also, maybe you should look into working on your rebuttals so you sound less...well, rude. You can make good points, but presentation is still important if you want people to listen to you.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I do not see how Marissa is not related to the Tempest.

Simple, that Tempest had nothing to do with Sacred Stones. It was about Fjorm.

Edited by Arthur97

1 minute ago, Solaris998 said:

I can definitely see that as a reason for scrapping it but I'm glad it was considered, if only because of it we now actually know Fire Emblem character ages for once, so that's nice.

Yeah, knowing ages isn't a bad idea. Though we've known a few before in past games (like Oscar being 24 and Janaff being 110 in PoR due to their support conversation). Just not many. It'd be nice to know a few more at times though. Maybe for an altered marriage mechanic where characters can only marry certain characters depending on their age group. Like one age group could be 14-19, another 20-30, and so on.

7 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Don't forget that Est just ups and abandons Abel. That is my big beef against her.

As I mentioned, its highly like that she leaves Abel out of guilt for forcing Abel to fight against his own friends and lord. It doesn't help that Abel ended up confirming her fears when in their support, he told her that he's afraid of losing her. Meaning he only amplified her fears that the same thing will happen again. 

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

As I mentioned, its highly like that she leaves Abel out of guilt for forcing Abel to fight against his own friends and lord. It doesn't help that Abel ended up confirming her fears when in their support, he told her that he's afraid of losing her. Meaning he only amplified her fears that the same thing will happen again. 

That still doesn't change the fact that she left without telling him. It's especially bad when she knew he was afraid of losing her. 

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

That still doesn't change the fact that she left without telling him. It's especially bad when she knew he was afraid of losing her. 

Not exactly uncommon. Lot of times the breakups happen without a moment's notice. And here its even more likely. 

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

Not exactly uncommon. Lot of times the breakups happen without a moment's notice. And here its even more likely. 

But she didn't even tell him when he had a fear of losing her. She didn't call it off, she left. If she did it to appease her own guilt, she did it at his expense (you know, the man who betrayed his country for her) without so much as an explanation.

12 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

But she didn't even tell him when he had a fear of losing her. She didn't call it off, she left. If she did it to appease her own guilt, she did it at his expense (you know, the man who betrayed his country for her) without so much as an explanation.

Not saying what she did was right. But these things did happen. Abel isn't exactly off the hook from this either as he really in the end didn't understand her. When asked why he loved her in the first place, he really couldn't given an answer, or really express it enough. 

I think in the end, both parties are at fault here for the relationship failing, and one shouldn't be considered more wrong than the other.

6 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Not saying what she did was right. But these things did happen. Abel isn't exactly off the hook from this either as he really in the end didn't understand her. When asked why he loved her in the first place, he really couldn't given an answer, or really express it enough. 

I think in the end, both parties are at fault here for the relationship failing, and one shouldn't be considered more wrong than the other.

I'll admit that isn't right for Abel to be unable to say why he loves someone, but I don't think that's as bad as anything Est did.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I'll admit that isn't right for Abel to be unable to say why he loves someone, but I don't think that's as bad as anything Est did.

It wasn't just that. Abel's inability to express feelings as well as understand Est's own emotional state, he wasn't able to appease her insecurities. He wasn't able to assure her that things were fine in the end. Rather all he did was raise those insecurities even more. And Est's emotional state just went further and further that in the end, she just ended up leaving. Had he been able to understand her, able to assure her, she wouldn't have left. 

Despite how I am sad about their ending, they may have just not been right for one another. Kaga tends to give some people happy endings, but he certainly makes quite a few not work out in the end. 

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

It wasn't just that. Abel's inability to express feelings as well as understand Est's own emotional state, he wasn't able to appease her insecurities. He wasn't able to assure her that things were fine in the end. Rather all he did was raise those insecurities even more. And Est's emotional state just went further and further that in the end, she just ended up leaving. Had he been able to understand her, able to assure her, she wouldn't have left. 

Despite how I am sad about their ending, they may have just not been right for one another. Kaga tends to give some people happy endings, but he certainly makes quite a few not work out in the end. 

So it's his fault she CHOSE to leave? No. Est still CHOSE to leave. Just because Abel couldn't express his reasons for loving her doesn't mean he didn't legitimately love and care for her. I mean, I'd kind of rather someone be able to tell me why they love me if they did, but I wouldn't think they didn't legitimately love me just because they can't say why.

But yeah, I kind of think Kaga went a bit overboard with the unrequited love and failed relationships... I mean, sometimes these things happen in real life, but geez. Catria loved Marth, Palla loved Abel, Linde loved Merric, Abel and Est didn't work out, and I heard even Marth and Caeda's relationship couldn't possibly be happy either because Marth became a mental wreck post-New Mystery or something. Was NO ONE really happy?

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So it's his fault she CHOSE to leave? No. Est still CHOSE to leave. Just because Abel couldn't express his reasons for loving her doesn't mean he didn't legitimately love and care for her. I mean, I'd kind of rather someone be able to tell me why they love me if they did, but I wouldn't think they didn't legitimately love me just because they can't say why.

But yeah, I kind of think Kaga went a bit overboard with the unrequited love and failed relationships... I mean, sometimes these things happen in real life, but geez. Catria loved Marth, Palla loved Abel, Linde loved Merric, Abel and Est didn't work out, and I heard even Marth and Caeda's relationship couldn't possibly be happy either because Marth became a mental wreck post-New Mystery or something. Was NO ONE really happy?

In some cases, yes. It all depends on how one looks at it. I'm not saying that there's a right or wrong answer here. Rather, it's exactly how all relationships are in the end: complicated. 

No, nothing suggests Marth went was a mental wreck from the events of FE12. They were happy. 

And you forgot the biggest case: Camus and Nyna. The two were in love, but Camus was loyal to Grust and could not join Nyna in the end, and seemingly died in battle. But he did survive in the end, but even then, because of what happens there, he still wouldn't be able to be with Nyna. Nyna married Hardin, but him learning she didn't love him in return drove him to a depression, and with the Darksphere, to insanity. 

Some couples worked, some didn't. I do admit that its sad, but like I said, relationships are always complicated.

7 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

In some cases, yes. It all depends on how one looks at it. I'm not saying that there's a right or wrong answer here. Rather, it's exactly how all relationships are in the end: complicated. 

No, nothing suggests Marth went was a mental wreck from the events of FE12. They were happy. 

And you forgot the biggest case: Camus and Nyna. The two were in love, but Camus was loyal to Grust and could not join Nyna in the end, and seemingly died in battle. But he did survive in the end, but even then, because of what happens there, he still wouldn't be able to be with Nyna. Nyna married Hardin, but him learning she didn't love him in return drove him to a depression, and with the Darksphere, to insanity. 

Some couples worked, some didn't. I do admit that its sad, but like I said, relationships are always complicated.

It seems like nobody was happy except Marth and Caeda then, which is kind of unrealistic. Like you said, some people are happy together, some wind up not being happy together.