Jump to content
Coolmanio

New Special Heroes Incoming: Bridal Bloom (May 21 ~): Bride Sanaki, Tharja, and Ninian (Groom Marth as TT reward)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Cysx said:

I actually don't care too much about the Sanaki issue, though I can sympathize with the complaints. Honestly, what I'm actually bothered by is that this was a great occasion to give her a grown up design, which I'd have been very interested in seeing.

She has one in her concept art, doesn't she?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

She has one in her concept art, doesn't she?

Oh, indeed. I had no idea. Feels like a strange coincidence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a dress.

Anyways, I think I might pass on this, I would like Ninian, but rolling blue makes me physically ill at this point after not rolling Micaiah again.
I would like Tharja, because I love her outfit, but I'm annoyed they keep making her a red tome.
Not too big of a fan of Sanaki so I think I'll pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always, context is everything.  There is nothing inherently wrong with a child dressing up as a bride for the sake of make-believe (or a festival, to use the game’s parlance).  Yet it is important to remember what kind of game this is, as well as some of the directions taken in previous series installments that make it difficult to give IS the benefit of the doubt in this case.  Just because B!Sanaki is not blatantly sexualized doesn’t mean it isn’t “fan-servicey”, or that there are no unfortunate implications to her being included here.   

Every character selected for a seasonal banner is picked because IS believes that they will sell.  I also don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that most of the big spenders are very much ingrained in otaku/waifu culture.  IS is well aware of this, and yet they still made the conscious decision to include Sanaki, PoR Sanaki at that, in their bridal-themed banner.  When people say that this decision panders to certain unsavory portions of the fanbase, it is done so in the context of the gacha business model, the bridal theme, and a series where later installments aren’t exactly shy about playing up fetishes like loli and incest.  It doesn’t help that the first line we hear out of B!Sanaki is “don’t get any weird ideas”.  I wasn’t going to, but now that I’ve been expressly told not to, that’s all I can think about.  IS knows exactly what they’re doing.

I would very much like to believe that the whole thing is innocent.  I originally wasn’t going to comment until we at least knew what her other lines were, but frankly I don’t see how they can make this not weird in light of everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit. I just realized that Ninian's time also gives the user a speed boost. I need that for Tailtiu

@Emeraldfox Eh, it's more like the "the curtains are blue" scenario when people overthink something. It's human nature to assume the worst, but still. You can't really excuse that. Everyone one of us has done something pathetic anyways. All of us have skeletons in our closets

1 minute ago, Sophie said:

It's a dress.

Nowadays even opinions on refines can divide the community so don't be shocked

 

7 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:

As always, context is everything.  There is nothing inherently wrong with a child dressing up as a bride for the sake of make-believe (or a festival, to use the game’s parlance).  Yet it is important to remember what kind of game this is, as well as some of the directions taken in previous series installments that make it difficult to give IS the benefit of the doubt in this case.  Just because B!Sanaki is not blatantly sexualized doesn’t mean it isn’t “fan-servicey”, or that there are no unfortunate implications to her being included here.   

 

Every character selected for a seasonal banner is picked because IS believes that they will sell.  I also don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume that most of the big spenders are very much ingrained in otaku/waifu culture.  IS is well aware of this, and yet they still made the conscious decision to include Sanaki, PoR Sanaki at that, in their bridal-themed banner.  When people say that this decision panders to certain unsavory portions of the fanbase, it is done so in the context of the gacha business model, the bridal theme, and a series where later installments aren’t exactly shy about playing up fetishes like loli and incest.  It doesn’t help that the first line we hear out of B!Sanaki is “don’t get any weird ideas”.  I wasn’t going to, but now that I’ve been expressly told not to, that’s all I can think about.  IS knows exactly what they’re doing.

 

I would very much like to believe that the whole thing is innocent.  I originally wasn’t going to comment until we at least knew what her other lines were, but frankly I don’t see how they can make this not weird in light of everything else.

 

While I do think she's playing dress-up, it's good to know the thought process that went into including her on this banner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Emeraldfox said:

I'm late, but stop getting mad at video games you nerds. Whining about a non issue like Sanaki in a wedding dress, since when did SF get so pathetic?

 

I'm gonna try for Sanaki and Tharja.

It has always been pathetic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Nowadays even opinions on refines can divide the community so don't be shocked

I'm not shocked. Ironically the only thing I'm upset about on this banner is that as much as I like Ninian I don't ship her with Eliwood so I'm gonna be so tired of seeing it on social media again, I'm not gonna yell about it, but it's whatever.
I'm just gonna stop pretending I think it's remotely bad, cause I don't, it's a dress.
If you start to believe everything has an underlying ulterior motive it's not gonna make you into a better person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

From what I have seen, they are wondering why are some western fans are causing a lager uproar over an dress.

It’s kinda sad really, that making uproars is what the western FE fandom is being known for these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now give Ninians new Blue Tome to a good Blue Tome user with high BST, give them Rally Atk/DEF + Faint Speed, then Drive Spd Seal and Drive def Seal

bring your bait in position and rally them... you just covered up 14 Spd difference.. gees even the slowest units become monstreous tank bait with this o.o

mmm Delthea with her unique tome + Rally SPD Faint Speed and Drive Spd.....

omg Brave lucina with Faint Speed looool omg Brave Lucina with Faint Spd can gap a difference of 17 Spd between her Rally target and the Enemy in line

Edited by Hilda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying not to comment on Sanaki because I don't want to feed the trolls and I'm aware of the stance this sub forum tends to take on Pedo-fetishism as some kind of force for good. Not a war I'm willing to fight when we just got the double whammy this morning of another school shooting and our administration announcing that abortion referrals run the threat of getting your clinic defunded. It's a shitty day and I'd rather not spend it shouting down a video game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Trying not to comment on Sanaki because I don't want to feed the trolls and I'm aware of the stance this sub forum tends to take on Pedo-fetishism as some kind of force for good. Not a war I'm willing to fight when we just got the double whammy this morning of another school shooting and our administration announcing that abortion referrals run the threat of getting your clinic defunded. It's a shitty day and I'd rather not spend it shouting down a video game. 

Wow. I hope you're alright. I hope you have a good day nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

It’s kinda sad really, that making uproars is what the western FE fandom is being known for these days.

Japanese fans aren't really exempt from this as they have at times been the same

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Trying not to comment on Sanaki because I don't want to feed the trolls and I'm aware of the stance this sub forum tends to take on Pedo-fetishism as some kind of force for good. Not a war I'm willing to fight when we just got the double whammy this morning of another school shooting and our administration announcing that abortion referrals run the threat of getting your clinic defunded. It's a shitty day and I'd rather not spend it shouting down a video game. 

Jesus Christ. Another one. This world is effed up. Just went ahead and read the news article. Shit! There were even explosives

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Michelaar said:

Wow. I hope you're alright. I hope you have a good day nonetheless.

Neither of those things directly affect me. I'm just upset at the state of my country and find that more important than the state of a mobile game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very curious to see what Ninian's BST will be considering she's a Flying... tome user... dancer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Neither of those things directly affect me. I'm just upset at the state of my country and find that more important than the state of a mobile game.

Regardless, try to stay strong, okay? I know it's easier said than done, but there's always going to be light at the end of the tunnel - even if that tunnel seems to go on for miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Neither of those things directly affect me. I'm just upset at the state of my country and find that more important than the state of a mobile game.

Shit. And I just read the news in the morning. In just a span of 12 hours something horrible happens. It's so sad that all these acts of violence is common nowadays. It still hits you hard no matter how common it can be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sophie said:

I'm very curious to see what Ninian's BST will be considering she's a Flying... tome user... dancer.

Probably the same as Performer Shigure and Performer Inigo since her status as a flier won't affect her bst but it will definitely be impeded by her status as tome user and dancer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MisfitMiju said:

Probably the same as Performer Shigure and Performer Inigo since her status as a flier won't affect her bst but it will definitely be impeded by her status as tome user and dancer

Yeah, something like 139-140 BST are the expected stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sophie said:

I would like Tharja, because I love her outfit, but I'm annoyed they keep making her a red tome.
Not too big of a fan of Sanaki so I think I'll pass.

Unfortunately, "Darkness" is her schtick. I feel they only made Rhajat green is a) to "differentiate" her from Tharja, b) Hoshido didn't have "dark" spells, and c) her father is from the Wind Tribe and Wind=Green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, XRay said:

It is one thing to demonize rapists and people who actually sexually assault someone, but it is entirely unacceptable to demonize innocent people who are attracted to kids but are able to control their urges and not enact that in real life. They have done nothing wrong; they realize what they want is unacceptable and have chosen not to pursue it.

Having the desire to do something wrong does not automatically make someone bad. I have a mental list of real life people that I want to torture and murder, but that does not make me bad for wanting to do something wrong. If I actually carried out my desires in real life, then I definitely deserve to be demonized and am definitely in the wrong.

That absurd passage was aimed at condemning humanity as a whole along with cockroaches and sunflowers. Why? I don't know, but I do know I don't have a good opinion on humanity. So, if I were demonizing anyone, then I would be demonizing everyone.

Nowhere in my post, as far as I know, demonized pedophiles, hebephiles, lolicons, etc. and yes, I know the difference that lolicons have. I only targeted people whose immediate thoughts towards Sanaki was to think of her as a child bride and that the developers are disgusting people while also providing counterpoints to my own argument that yes, the developers knew what they were doing because they're trying to sell a product, but that no, their primary objective is not to sell Sanaki as a child bride and wife of all things. It's fanservice, but it's not that kind of single-minded fanservice.

3 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

As Kaden said, were it a shota groom, no one would bat an eyelid. I myself had negative reactions, but eventually warmed up and stopped acting like a bigot (hopefully I don't degenerate into one again).

I think they would, though, since it's basically the same thing with what people are arguing with Sanaki: a kid being presented as marrying or of marriageable age or material. Easier with girls since bridal gowns tend to be more extravagant, but that doesn't mean a boy in a groom outfit, whatever that may be depending on their culture, can't be viewed in a similar light. The idea still stands of a shota groom would probably be appealing to shotacons.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well Gordin's an adult so I doubt people would have a problem with him. But on the whole I think its different. A groom costume is generally just a white tuxedo which doesn't leave much room for sexualisation. Nils wielding a groom outfit is just Nils wearing a rather fancy outfit. Heck, it would probably cover more skin than his regular outfit with the bare legs. 

He is, but he either has a babyface or looks younger than what people would consider his age. I guess a comparable idea would be an oppai loli or Nowi where you have a character who is of "legal" age, but looks very young.

The other thing is that you're limiting groom outfits to modern, western groom outfits. Most of Fire Emblem is based on medieval Europe, but there are instances of characters and regions being based on different places. For one, a grooms from Chon'sin and Hoshido probably wouldn't be wearing tuxedos.

53 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I think people getting truly mad over Sanaki need to put their energy into something more productive.

Does this count? :p

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's honestly really exhausting that every single banner as of late and even some refinery announcements send people up in arms I understand the worry of some over Sanaki but I feel like it's going overboard a bit

Edited by MisfitMiju

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Does this count? :p

 

Sexualizing, fetishizing, and now bullying.. poor Sanaki is having a rough day. Somebody give her a hug, she can't help it she's balding early!

Edited by Alkaid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kaden said:

He is, but he either has a babyface or looks younger than what people would consider his age. I guess a comparable idea would be an oppai loli or Nowi where you have a character who is of "legal" age, but looks very young.

The other thing is that you're limiting groom outfits to modern, western groom outfits. Most of Fire Emblem is based on medieval Europe, but there are instances of characters and regions being based on different places. For one, a grooms from Chon'sin and Hoshido probably wouldn't be wearing tuxedos

I think there's a real difference between Gordin and Nowi. Gordin just has a babyface and those people do exist in real life. We don't have any old ladies that look like little girls...at least I sure hope we don't. Heroes might have taken Gordin's babyface a bit too far but he's supposed to look like a teenager rather than a young boy. It would be a different story if shota Raigh was the one who's actually an adult or if Nils was supposed to be avatar romanced because unlike Elise he really IS ''technically an adult'' 

Things other than a western groom tuxedo are indeed possible but so far both of Marth's groom outfit's went for that style so if grooms ever become a common FE trope I think that's going to be the usual sort of outfit for groom characters. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...