New to the forum, New to the series

RexBolt

HI!

Well, i'm normally Lucena, but since that's taken here i will be RexBolt!

I have played FE 7 and 8 as a kid but never finished them, but recently i decided to get for real into the series.

I'm currently playing Path of Radiance on Normal and am about to do the Endgame. I lost a handfull of characters getting here since i only reset when losing Mist, my only healer after Rhys died. I may not have defeated the Black Knight, but i'm confident my team can take Ashnard on!

(List of fallen: Boyd, Volke, Sothe, Rhys, Titania, Calil.) 

OOOH! I DID IT!

I beat my first Fire Emblem game!

Sadly Devdan and Kieran join the list of the fallen, with honors to Kieran, who died Rescuing Rolf.

In the end my unit with most "Wins" was Ike, the TOP 5 under him were: Jill, Rolf, Lethe, Nephenee and Illyana.

Lethe surprised me in this since i traded her for Ranulf as soon as i could (ship him with Ike since before i started working for that A rank).

Now i'm going to start on the newer FE games, i already have Awakening on hands since people say it's the best of the 3DS games.

Each of the 3DS games have something-or-other that they do well with.  The question is. . .what do you want out of a FE game?

Anyway, welcome~!  Don't forget to read the rules and all!  And congrats on finishing PoR!

(end generic greeting)

@eclipse I don't really know what i want out of a FE game. Path of Radiance is the only one i consider having really played, as when i tried FE7 and 8 ages ago i didn't even know what were Supports and how you got them. But i suppose the reason i want to experience the newer games instead of the older is that there's no limit on the number of supports you can make, it was one of the few things that bothered me in FE9.

I don't really know how i feel about child units yet, so i suppose i will discover it by playing all of the 3DS titles, and there's no reason not to start with Awakening since i already have it in hands anyway.

But thank's for the question! It's really something i should give some tought to if i want to play more of this series.

3 hours ago, RexBolt said:

I don't really know how i feel about child units yet, so i suppose i will discover it by playing all of the 3DS titles, and there's no reason not to start with Awakening since i already have it in hands anyway.

Well, I should warn you - Chrom (the main character of said game) is forced to marry for plot reasons. Said character's potential wives are Sumia, Sully, Maribelle, and Olivia (that last one joins in the very chapter where Chrom is forced to marry). Also of note, the aforementioned Sumia also has a limited S rank pool.

Anyway, welcome to Airport 1001. Don't forget to wake that slugabed up.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Well, I should warn you - Chrom (the main character of said game) is forced to marry for plot reasons. Said character's potential wives are Sumia, Sully, Maribelle, and Olivia (that last one joins in the very chapter where Chrom is forced to marry). Also of note, the aforementioned Sumia also has a limited S rank pool.

Anyway, welcome to Airport 1001. Don't forget to wake that slugabed up.

Wait marribelle is a marriage option if chroms? Completely forgot about that 

also I believe sumias is the easiest to get due to a faster building support. Am I correct on this?

anyway have fun with awakening, there's a lot you can do with the units thanks to 2nd seals and I low key enjoy breaking the game  one of my personal favorite games. 

@DisobeyedCargo @Shadow Mir Thank you two for the tip. I was already warned that if i don't S rank him before chapter 10 (i think, maybe?) he will auto-marry me, since i'm playing a female avatar. It's good to know the pool of alternatives is also limited since i don't want to end up with ye old ball and chain before meeting all the dudes in the game.

Edit: Also, since i heard it was a forgiving game i decided to try my hand at Hard-Classic mode. Already at 1 game over  :>_<: againt those first Risen.

I need to be careful.

Edited by RexBolt

Erm, what did you pick for your asset and flaw? Also, Robin can marry anyone of the opposite gender. And whomever Chrom marries is tied to their support level if you don't have him marry before chapter 11.

Edited by Shadow Mir

39 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

@DisobeyedCargo @Shadow Mir Thank you two for the tip. I was already warned that if i don't S rank him before chapter 10 (i think, maybe?) he will auto-marry me, since i'm playing a female avatar. It's good to know the pool of alternatives is also limited since i don't want to end up with ye old ball and chain before meeting all the dudes in the game.

Edit: Also, since i heard it was a forgiving game i decided to try my hand at Hard-Classic mode. Already at 1 game over  :>_<: againt those first Risen.

I need to be careful.

I actually did/am still doing a hard classic run

im a bit of a weenie so i first played on normal casual

whats your asset and flaw? 

lol hi. if your new to the series, then maybe you should try to play thracia 776. its japanese exclusive, so you will probably need to do some digging around the net to fix up a copy of the rom and translation patch. its a fantastigame for newcomers.

bottom text

@DisobeyedCargo @Shadow Mir Since i like Tomes and FE always give you a good number of sword users i picked +Magic -Strength. The wipe was because Crom got swarmed with risen.

@(s)ad touch maybe after Awakening i will check it out. But what i'm really after now is these support conversations. They didn't exist before Fire Emblem, right?

Edited by RexBolt

8 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

But what i'm really after now is these support conversations. They didn't exist before Fire Emblem, right?

Actually, it was Binding Blade, a.k.a. Sword of Seals (said game is the sequel to the game you're thinking of), that first had them. By the way, I would pass over Thracia - there's just too much wrong for me to consider it playable.

Edited by Shadow Mir

47 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

@DisobeyedCargo @Shadow Mir Since i like Tomes and FE always give you a good number of sword users i picked +Magic -Strength. The wipe was because Crom got swarmed with risen.

@(s)ad touch maybe after Awakening i will check it out. But what i'm really after now is these support conversations. They didn't exist before Fire Emblem, right?

Ah that's my preferred asset flaw. 

Magic is great in Awakening due to how broken the sorcerer class is thanks to nosferatu. Of course galeforce is the most broken thing ever, but that's besides the point.

And I think all fire emblems are worth a try, including Thracia, it's just very different from other games in the franchise. I also believe it's one of the more difficult games, but don't quote me on that as I have yet to start it myself, I'm still in the middle of binding blade. 

1 hour ago, RexBolt said:

If you do Thracia, spoil yourself on mechanics first.  ALL the mechanics (including escape).

But IMO if you want to attempt Thracia, play its little brother, Shadows of Valentia, first.

So i didn't want to make a new tread just for this, but i'm kinda losing my desire to play Awakening. 

I believed what the internet said about it being a very easy game and that i should play on Hard if i wanted to experience the true game, but for me it's just feels like taking a beating till i get lucky. My characters die non-stop and the enemies are 5+ of my team, minus Crom, Robin and Frederick. I tought the the random Risen fights were to trian up my non-main units, but they just get massacred.

Should i reset my file and begin again on Normal or is there jusdt something about the game i'm not getting right? Should i have tried another title before?

18 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

So i didn't want to make a new tread just for this, but i'm kinda losing my desire to play Awakening. 

I believed what the internet said about it being a very easy game and that i should play on Hard if i wanted to experience the true game, but for me it's just feels like taking a beating till i get lucky. My characters die non-stop and the enemies are 5+ of my team, minus Crom, Robin and Frederick. I tought the the random Risen fights were to trian up my non-main units, but they just get massacred.

Should i reset my file and begin again on Normal or is there jusdt something about the game i'm not getting right? Should i have tried another title before?

Where are you in the game? What's your team? 

Risen fights scale in difficulty depending on where you summon them, try summoning them on an earlier part of the map

34 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

How far are you? Anyway, try summoning Risen in earlier locations, since their strength scales depending on their location. If worst comes to worst, just play on Normal.

Just now, Shadow Mir said:

How far are you? Anyway, try summoning Risen in earlier locations, since their strength scales depending on their location. If worst comes to worst, just play on Normal.

Can you change the difficulty midgame?

6 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

I'm in Chapter 6. And i'm trying to use most if not all of them. I didn't do thisin PoR but i tought that since there's grinding here i could.

Don't let chapter 6 get you down. I remember having A LOT of trouble on that chapter when I first played