Jump to content
Fabulously Olivier

What games most need a spiritual successor?

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Brigandine. Its kind of a mix between Langrisser and Fire Emblem, with an emphasis on turn based combat, and commanders with several monsters under their command. There was a lot of variety in the monsters, and they could all "promote" into other monsters, and there was a lot of flexibility with the commanders as well and what classes they could go into, promote to, etc.

The story wasnt anything special but wasnt bad either. The best part about it was that you could play any of the main kingdoms, each being their own route with their own characters. There were even cheats to play the evil kingdom if I recall.

The game was fun but unfortunately its one of those games that just released at a bad time and disappeared.

Xcom UFO Defense. It got revived with the new Xcom games, but the actual gameplay between the two is so different they might as well not even be the same game. The original Xcom had you commanding a team of upwards of 20 soldiers if I recall, might have been 18. Either way it was a much larger team. It was turn based, obviously, and in general was just a really fun game. I still go back and play it regularly. I would love to see a spiritual successor to it.

Isn't Phoenix Point basically the original XCom spiritual successor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Isn't Phoenix Point basically the original XCom spiritual successor?

I havent heard of it actually. What is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Is there a spiritual successor to the Castlevania games from before the Metroidvania formula was adopted?

"Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon" which is out already is more like an old school Castlevania. Its also level based. 
But looking at all the indie games I only saw ones with Metroidvania Formular... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be cool to see spiritual successors to Mega Man Battle Network, Star Force and Legends. The other branches of Mega Man have already gotten their spiritual successors:

  • Classic Mega Man, before it was resurrected with MM11, had Mighty No.9 which....well, we all know how that went.
  • Mega Man X has 20XX
  • Mega Man Zero and ZX has Azure Striker Gunvolt (I should mention that the Copen campaign of Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 and the upcoming Copen-centered Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX are more of Mega Man X successors than Zero successors)

Battle Network, Star Force and Legends are missing their spiritual successors, to my knowledge anyway, so it'd be cool to see what could happen. Especially for Legends because we all know what happened to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stroud said:

"Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon" which is out already is more like an old school Castlevania. Its also level based. 

It also blows any of the classic styled castlevanias out of the water in terms of quality because Inti Creates is just so freaking good at these retro revival games. If I ever want to see a faithful, high quality revival of a 20-30 year old classic franchise, I'd pick them to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

It also blows any of the classic styled castlevanias out of the water in terms of quality because Inti Creates is just so freaking good at these retro revival games. If I ever want to see a faithful, high quality revival of a 20-30 year old classic franchise, I'd pick them to do it.

This is true Inti Creates really does some nice work there. They also revived Blaster Master which I want to look it if I got the time. If any company wants to revive something they are certainly a good choice. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Mega Man Zero and ZX has Azure Striker Gunvolt

Dunno if I'd agree, Gunvolt is primarily score based(and not in a Zero way) and the tagging mechanic is pretty central and different compared to anything even ZX did(even model A was nothing like it). Gunvolt also has a much more in depth equipment system than Zero ever did, and stats. I like Gunvolt but it doesn't scratch that itch afaic.

Someone brought up Shining Force so I'm gonna say Skies of Arcadia. Excellent rpg that is begging for a sequel, but it seems like the devs are focused on Valkyria Chronicles now, since Skies wasn't even part of the poll Sega released recently. I'd really like an honest followup to the Sonic Adventure games, too, with Chao garden and all. OG Phantasy Star would be great as well. Not that I'm trusting Sega to put the adequate effort into any of that, or people to show up and buy these games, but hey, one can dream...

Also, Golden Sun.

Edited by Cysx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cysx said:

Dunno if I'd agree, Gunvolt is primarily score based(and not in a Zero way) and the tagging mechanic is pretty central and different compared to anything even ZX did(even model A was nothing like it). Gunvolt also has a much more in depth equipment system than Zero ever did, and stats. I like Gunvolt but it doesn't scratch that itch afaic.

I haven't played ZX but i did play the Zero collection in-between Gunvolt 1 and 2 and i could definietly see where the inspirstion came from. So while it's not exactly like Mega Man Zero, i did get a similar feel. Though i suppose it helps that Inti Creates worked on Zero and ZX before Gunvolt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Armagon said:

I haven't played ZX but i did play the Zero collection in-between Gunvolt 1 and 2 and i could definietly see where the inspirstion came from. So while it's not exactly like Mega Man Zero, i did get a similar feel. Though i suppose it helps that Inti Creates worked on Zero and ZX before Gunvolt.

The feel of the character is pretty much the exact same, which is a big deal for sure. I just don't go through a Zero level the same way I go through one in Gunvolt, if that makes sense. Plus, the X series has a really similar feel too.

Zx is a bit out there because its levels are all part of an open-world so to speak, and its gameplay focuses on transformations. See the four guardians you fight in Zero 1, 2 and 3? One of the main feature in Zx is that you get them as transformations(altered, but still with the same core ideas) to use at your leisure.

I guess one of the biggest differences is that there's a lot of close range combat in Zero and ZX, but neither Coppen nor Gunvolt really provide that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 7:20 PM, Cysx said:

The feel of the character is pretty much the exact same, which is a big deal for sure. I just don't go through a Zero level the same way I go through one in Gunvolt, if that makes sense. Plus, the X series has a really similar feel too.

Zx is a bit out there because its levels are all part of an open-world so to speak, and its gameplay focuses on transformations. See the four guardians you fight in Zero 1, 2 and 3? One of the main feature in Zx is that you get them as transformations(altered, but still with the same core ideas) to use at your leisure.

I guess one of the biggest differences is that there's a lot of close range combat in Zero and ZX, but neither Coppen nor Gunvolt really provide that.

Inti Creates developed all of them, so there is definitely some inspirations going from one game towards the next ones. 

 

Yes, the 4 Guardians from Zero series, and Zero & X themselves were Ciel's inspirations for the creations of the Biometals.

 

On 3/23/2019 at 11:48 PM, Armagon said:

I haven't played ZX but i did play the Zero collection in-between Gunvolt 1 and 2 and i could definietly see where the inspirstion came from. So while it's not exactly like Mega Man Zero, i did get a similar feel. Though i suppose it helps that Inti Creates worked on Zero and ZX before Gunvolt.

Nevermind you mentioned IC creating all of them already XD

To make it simpler to understand coming from an Azure striker player perspective, you know how Copen is merely a human who wears a hi-tech jacket with loads of "programs" you can equip to it? That's the similar essence to the main characters of ZX/ZX Advent. Mere humans, and "Copen's Jacket" is in the form of Biometals, the difference being the Biometals come with preset abilities that can't be modified.

 

Sometime during these developments i think, Inti Creates decided that they are more adept at "gun"-style action instead of "sword"-style.

Model X from ZX has a double charged shot that is arguably mroe powerful than X2's double charge shot

Model A from ZXA has Homing Shots and Giga Crush

Gal*Gun, a game also by IC, is a shooter

GV doesn't have the "up-close-and-personal" feel of MMZ Zero, but he definitely has that skill play aspect, since you still have a reason to try and avoid everything (Kudos system from GV1 was painful), plus the aspect that like Zero/ZX, the base gun itself isn't the main source of damage. GV doesnt kill like how Zero does, but he needs to be as skillful as Zero is to achieve those high scores.

 

Copen on the other hand, "combines" both X and Zero imo.  (with X being the larger influence ofc.) To make the most use out of his weapons, you do need to "get close" to them like Zero by homing in and literally making physical contact with the enemy. Once that "Zero" part of getting close is done, the "X" part (and arguably Model A) does the rest by homing shots AND homing special weapons.

 

In conclusion i think the Azure Striker series is more like the culmination of IC's contribution to the development of Zero-ZX series, rather than a complete "Spiritual successor".

 

If ZX needs anything, it's not a successor but rather that third game.

Edited by McKarter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting for a successor to Ogre Battle in gameplay style. Closest thing Ogre Battle 64 has had to a proper successor was Yu-Gi-Oh the Falsebound Kingdom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, McKarter said:

Sometime during these developments i think, Inti Creates decided that they are more adept at "gun"-style action instead of "sword"-style.

Puns

16 minutes ago, McKarter said:

Sometime during these developments i think, Inti Creates decided that they are more adept at "gun"-style action instead of "sword"-style.

Model X from ZX has a double charged shot that is arguably mroe powerful than X2's double charge shot

Model A from ZXA has Homing Shots and Giga Crush

Gal*Gun, a game also by IC, is a shooter

I wanna point out that Gal*Gun is super different compared to the rest of Inti's IPs seeing as how it's an on-rails shooter with a......very unique premise. The rest of Inti's IPs are all 2D action platformers, with Blaster Master Zero being on the Metroidvania side of things.

Though it's funny you mentioned that they moved away from "sword"-style games considering their second most recent game, Dragon: Marked for Death, has quite a bit of that "sword"-style you'd see in the Zero games. I mean, at least i think so, i haven't played MFD yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Puns

I wanna point out that Gal*Gun is super different compared to the rest of Inti's IPs seeing as how it's an on-rails shooter with a......very unique premise. The rest of Inti's IPs are all 2D action platformers, with Blaster Master Zero being on the Metroidvania side of things.

Though it's funny you mentioned that they moved away from "sword"-style games considering their second most recent game, Dragon: Marked for Death, has quite a bit of that "sword"-style you'd see in the Zero games. I mean, at least i think so, i haven't played MFD yet.

 

Never realized the pun until you pointed it out lmao.

Yep, done it on purpose to introduce her to the whole IC discussion XD 

 

Inti Creates also created the game Mighty Gunvolt Burst, in which GV, Beck, Gal*Gun, AND their rivals/sidekicks appear ALL AS playable characters. If you haven't played it, i recommend checking it out, it's like RPG Classic Megaman. You do need to pay for DLC for extra characters like Joule though. And once you've played it a bit you'll discover that a major aspect of its gameplay is customizing your "Buster" Shots. So yeah. They definitely literally brought all the guns in there. If Mighty No. 9 disappointed you, Might Gunvolt Burst is what MN9 should have been, and is like a 60-fps successor to classic MM. It's on both 3DS and Switch (30fps for 3DS though but still great)

 

Ohhh i didnt know about it. Never owned a Switch yet T_T If that's the case though, i take back my word on it. But as far as pure portable systems go they certainly shifted from sword/gun mix to mainly guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, McKarter said:

Inti Creates also created the game Mighty Gunvolt Burst, in which GV, Beck, Gal*Gun, AND their rivals/sidekicks appear ALL AS playable characters. If you haven't played it, i recommend checking it out, it's like RPG Classic Megaman. You do need to pay for DLC for extra characters like Joule though. And once you've played it a bit you'll discover that a major aspect of its gameplay is customizing your "Buster" Shots. So yeah. They definitely literally brought all the guns in there. If Mighty No. 9 disappointed you, Might Gunvolt Burst is what MN9 should have been, and is like a 60-fps successor to classic MM. It's on both 3DS and Switch (30fps for 3DS though but still great)

Yeah, i played Burst on release day. It's essentially the proper spiritual successor to Classic Mega Man and although i didn't play Mighty No.9, made up for all of it's mistakes (because Inti was unfortunately part of Mighty No.9's development even if it was mostly Comcept's fault).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, McKarter said:

To make it simpler to understand coming from an Azure striker player perspective, you know how Copen is merely a human who wears a hi-tech jacket with loads of "programs" you can equip to it? That's the similar essence to the main characters of ZX/ZX Advent. Mere humans, and "Copen's Jacket" is in the form of Biometals, the difference being the Biometals come with preset abilities that can't be modified.

I'm not denying a similarity in terms of themes, visuals, or even gameplay; I'm just saying that at the end of the day, the games don't play the same and thus ASG doesn't qualify as a spiritual successor to me. This is no way a commentary about the game's quality or anything, I think 1 and especially 2 are very solid games overall.

5 hours ago, McKarter said:

Sometime during these developments i think, Inti Creates decided that they are more adept at "gun"-style action instead of "sword"-style.

Eh, I don't know about that. I think they wanted to create an IP distinct from what they were known from before, to mark a new beginning of sorts, and the result was Gunvolt. The double charged shot in ZX, as you know, is unusable for 99% of the game until you unlock it again, and I did already mention the homing shots from model A. I just don't think that's similar to what Gunvolt does at all. As for Giga crush, it's a screen nuke, and a bad one at that, so I wouldn't say it matters a lot.

5 hours ago, McKarter said:

GV doesn't have the "up-close-and-personal" feel of MMZ Zero, but he definitely has that skill play aspect, since you still have a reason to try and avoid everything (Kudos system from GV1 was painful), plus the aspect that like Zero/ZX, the base gun itself isn't the main source of damage. GV doesnt kill like how Zero does, but he needs to be as skillful as Zero is to achieve those high scores.

I'd actually say Gunvolt is a considerably more skill-based game if you're going for score, though it's almost effortless if you're not. Zero was less about avoiding everything and more about disposing of stuff before it could hurt you, and the fact that Zero had a buster doesn't make his gameplay similar to the tag then lightning then recharge system of Gunvolt.
You flew through stages while precisely cutting everything in your path in Zero. In Gunvolt you have to optimize your tags on each group of enemies, then electrify them, then recharge, all of which require you to halt your forward momentum.

5 hours ago, McKarter said:

Copen on the other hand, "combines" both X and Zero imo.  (with X being the larger influence ofc.) To make the most use out of his weapons, you do need to "get close" to them like Zero by homing in and literally making physical contact with the enemy. Once that "Zero" part of getting close is done, the "X" part (and arguably Model A) does the rest by homing shots AND homing special weapons.

That's nice and all but those are some very broad metrics. Copen's gameplay is about managing to stay in the air for extended periods of time while bumping from enemy to enemy, it's a far cry from anything X or Zero have ever done(afaik), even model H isn't the same at all. He's still super fun to play as though, it makes a lot of sense that he's getting his own game.

5 hours ago, McKarter said:

In conclusion i think the Azure Striker series is more like the culmination of IC's contribution to the development of Zero-ZX series, rather than a complete "Spiritual successor".

I guess you could say that, as their past works helped shape it in a major way for sure; but at the same time, they went to lengths to make it its own thing I feel, and succeeded, for better and for worst.

5 hours ago, McKarter said:

If ZX needs anything, it's not a successor but rather that third game.

For sure, but I guess people just didn't really like those games. The series' situation is very comparable to Megaman Legend's, yet you never really see people asking about ZX3. And for their defense, the first two were very flawed games for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-03-22 at 11:05 PM, Armagon said:

It'd be cool to see spiritual successors to Mega Man Battle Network, Star Force and Legends. The other branches of Mega Man have already gotten their spiritual successors:

  • Classic Mega Man, before it was resurrected with MM11, had Mighty No.9 which....well, we all know how that went.
  • Mega Man X has 20XX
  • Mega Man Zero and ZX has Azure Striker Gunvolt (I should mention that the Copen campaign of Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 and the upcoming Copen-centered Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX are more of Mega Man X successors than Zero successors)

Battle Network, Star Force and Legends are missing their spiritual successors, to my knowledge anyway, so it'd be cool to see what could happen. Especially for Legends because we all know what happened to it.

I agree about Megaman Battle Network; those games definitely need a spiritual successor to revive the gameplay. 

As for Megaman Star Force... I'm torn. Don't get me wrong; I really enjoyed the series (I'll even defend Star Force 2). But reviving the gameplay... on the one hand, I liked certain features that were added, such as the shield and the lock-on mechanic that made sword cards more useful. But I disliked that movement in battle was limited to moving left or right, and I disliked the greater emphasis on reaction over strategy. 

I never played Legends, so I have no idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cysx said:

I'm not denying a similarity in terms of themes, visuals, or even gameplay; I'm just saying that at the end of the day, the games don't play the same and thus ASG doesn't qualify as a spiritual successor to me. This is no way a commentary about the game's quality or anything, I think 1 and especially 2 are very solid games overall.

Eh, I don't know about that. I think they wanted to create an IP distinct from what they were known from before, to mark a new beginning of sorts, and the result was Gunvolt. The double charged shot in ZX, as you know, is unusable for 99% of the game until you unlock it again, and I did already mention the homing shots from model A. I just don't think that's similar to what Gunvolt does at all. As for Giga crush, it's a screen nuke, and a bad one at that, so I wouldn't say it matters a lot.

I'd actually say Gunvolt is a considerably more skill-based game if you're going for score, though it's almost effortless if you're not. Zero was less about avoiding everything and more about disposing of stuff before it could hurt you, and the fact that Zero had a buster doesn't make his gameplay similar to the tag then lightning then recharge system of Gunvolt.
You flew through stages while precisely cutting everything in your path in Zero. In Gunvolt you have to optimize your tags on each group of enemies, then electrify them, then recharge, all of which require you to halt your forward momentum.

That's nice and all but those are some very broad metrics. Copen's gameplay is about managing to stay in the air for extended periods of time while bumping from enemy to enemy, it's a far cry from anything X or Zero have ever done(afaik), even model H isn't the same at all. He's still super fun to play as though, it makes a lot of sense that he's getting his own game.

I guess you could say that, as their past works helped shape it in a major way for sure; but at the same time, they went to lengths to make it its own thing I feel, and succeeded, for better and for worst.

For sure, but I guess people just didn't really like those games. The series' situation is very comparable to Megaman Legend's, yet you never really see people asking about ZX3. And for their defense, the first two were very flawed games for sure.

Oh i merely explained it to the other guy since he said he hasn't played the ZX series; it was just to give an idea of how the Biometals "work"

 

i'm not saying GV has elements from them, i just explained how i saw they transitioned slowly to "gunners". I agree on those points though.

 

I agree. i did say GV doesnt kill like Zero and that the similarity was JUST the skill factor for highest scores.

 

I agree, Model H isn't the same at all since it is pure aerial mobility rather than Aerial combat. I just said X, Zero, and ZXA(Model A) since those series are what were mentioned, so i did my best to explain how they could have gameplay-element similarities (special weapon acquirement after bosses, closing in to get the best out of weapons, and homing respectively) from them. On Copen's note, Luminous Avenger iX is the first game that actually made me WANT to have a Switch now lol

 

So far i think it is for the better, but it does put a bit more pressure on them for future installments, if any. At least they have full control over it now unlike ZX series

 

As far as i have seen before, many people preferred ZX over Advent except for upgrades like Map mechanics, but anticipation for ZX3 was large. Arguably it is now more dead thatn hope for next Legends though lmao

Edited by McKarter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RPG in the vein of Golden Sun. A shame that series never went anywhere. :(
  • Not sure if this counts, but I'd also like to see a superpower game similar to Infamous and Prototype. Those two games are fun as hell, and I'd wish there were more games like them.
  • Run-And-Gun plat-former similar to the Contra games. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sword of the Samurai: It lets me make the joke that the best game about (medieval) Japan was made by the Canadians. That aside, it's an extremely well-rounded game that nails the feeling of being a down-to-earth one man army in a way that's believable, as well as being in a culture where honor is extremely important, with all the glory and horror it brings. The awesome artwork and music for DOS game standards helps, and it's still good today. Really, all this game needs is a new coat of paint and to have it's most glaring problems solved, such as speeding up games pace, making a few of the controls less awkward, adding stealth element to assassination/rescue missions that were strangely lacking in the original, and a few other nitpicks. I love that the game is still extremely playable with these flaws, but it would be damn near perfect if they were mended out.

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind: A game that manages to be complex yet comprehensive, and has something for new players and veterans alike. As much as I know that mods fix this games issues, it would still be nice to see this decades old game have a spiritual successor with its own unique world, story, and characters. It really is a special game, and I can see why some people claim it was one of the last of its kind.

The Elder Scrolls: Battlespire: An Elder Scrolls rougelike is already an intriguing idea.  A rougelike where there are no chests, gold, or shops, and everything you use has to be looted from the cold, dead bodies of your foes is even more interesting. A game where you can actually TALK to your enemies, and either threaten them into fighting for you, convince them you're not worth the trouble, find out they're attacking you against their will and will stop if you agree to free them from a curse, try to resist the temptation of a succubus, aggravate an enemy into blindly attacking, and more only make me question why no one has replicated the idea yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...