What is actually going on with the Crests?

Someone's gonna have to make a Leicester Alliance family tree in 12 days time because they are all related. Ingrid is a Daphnel through her mother's side; Lorenz is a Gloucester; but so is Lysithea; who is also a Charon but her surname is Ordelia; who is also somehow related to Catherine who apparently doesn't have a surname(probably to avoid too much confusion).

@Azz since Lorenz appears to have a boon in Reason the Gloucester Crest seems to benefit him pretty decently too.

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

3 hours ago, Druplesnubb said:
  Hide contents

It's weird because I'm pretty sure I remember most of you guys from the leak thread, yet you all act like Lysithea's second crest is something natural.

It IS possible to bear 2 Crests naturally which is basically how holy blood works and Edelgard is likely another character to bear another one as she can use a hero relic that's a different crest from her own.

31 minutes ago, Druplesnubb said:

Do we know this for certain?

Yes "It is still possible for a child from a distant branch of a bloodline to be born with a Major Crest unexpectedly".

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

5 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Yes "It is still possible for a child from a distant branch of a bloodline to be born with a Major Crest unexpectedly".

That's probably what happened with Lysithea or maybe even Edelgard; perhaps that is why she can wield the axe? Just by chance since a bearer of that Crest married into the Imperial Bloodline generations ago and just happened to manifest in Edelgard.

22 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

That's probably what happened with Lysithea or maybe even Edelgard; perhaps that is why she can wield the axe? Just by chance since a bearer of that Crest married into the Imperial Bloodline generations ago and just happened to manifest in Edelgard.

Yup exactly

26 minutes ago, Druplesnubb said:

But that quote doesn't say anything about being born with two simultaneous crests.

It doesn't need to it means it hasn't been unlocked or tapped into yet at that point but still born with it's in their DNA already it's just a rare occurance for a distant family branch of an already noble branch to obtain another crest from that side.

46 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

It doesn't need to it means it hasn't been unlocked or tapped into yet at that point but still born with it's in their DNA already it's just a rare occurance for a distant family branch of an already noble branch to obtain another crest from that side.

This is just a word salad that doesn't say anything. Nowhere in the quote you posted does it say that you can be born with multiple crests, nor does it say that you can "unlock" a crest later in life.

1 hour ago, Druplesnubb said:

This is just a word salad that doesn't say anything. Nowhere in the quote you posted does it say that you can be born with multiple crests, nor does it say that you can "unlock" a crest later in life.

Your fighting a losing battle she has 2 crests Edelgard likely has 2 crests from their ancestors end of story...

12 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Your fighting a losing battle she has 2 crests Edelgard likely has 2 crests from their ancestors end of story...

Well duh she has two crests but that doesn't mean she was born with two crests. And there's nothing suggesting that Edelgard has two crests at the start of the story (in fact her ingame profile shows her only having one).

9 hours ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I just can't wait to see how everything comes together!

At IGN's page it says that Marianne has a mystery crest, is it the same one as byleth? Also is it just me or Byleths crest is a weird combination of all the crests of the lords? 

Also Thanibomb had mentioned something about Lysithea and crests so another leak got confirmed I guess, also can Legendary weapons be used by all crest welders or only majors? 

16 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

At IGN's page it says that Marianne has a mystery crest, is it the same one as byleth? Also is it just me or Byleths crest is a weird combination of all the crests of the lords? 

Also Thanibomb had mentioned something about Lysithea and crests so another leak got confirmed I guess, also can Legendary weapons be used by all crest welders or only majors? 

Unless the Lords get their crests upgraded somehow, it seems that all crest bearers can use them. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Major bearers get bonuses when using their Relic.

1 minute ago, BastienSoul said:

Unless the Lords get their crests upgraded somehow, it seems that all crest bearers can use them. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Major bearers get bonuses when using their Relic.

Well it makes sense, what I can't get my head around is Marianne's crest and its relationship with Edelgard's axe and byleth's crest. It was called Edmund I think in a past article, also something was said about it being "cursed" or something along these lines, correct me if I remember wrong. 

Just now, SuperNova125 said:

Well it makes sense, what I can't get my head around is Marianne's crest and its relationship with Edelgard's axe and byleth's crest. It was called Edmund I think in a past article, also something was said about it being "cursed" or something along these lines, correct me if I remember wrong. 

She was adopted by House Edmund, so we don't know where her crest is from. The shape is different to Byleth's, so I'm pretty sure that they're just named "Mystery Crest" because they are, well, a mystery. I don't think it means there's a connection or anything.

6 hours ago, Druplesnubb said:

Well duh she has two crests but that doesn't mean she was born with two crests. And there's nothing suggesting that Edelgard has two crests at the start of the story (in fact her ingame profile shows her only having one).

Lysithea and probably Edelgard have two crests. However, that doesn't confirm much, just the fact that having two crests is a thing. The devs themselves have said that they took inspiration from FE4, so given that you could have two types of Holy Blood since birth in that game, it could mean the same rules apply here. Nothing  is certain though. We don't know all the crest mechanics and inheritance rules yet. Maybe you can get a crest transplantation or you can steal it from someone with a forbidden ritual etc. you probably get my point.

53 minutes ago, Zoderos said:

Lysithea and probably Edelgard have two crests. However, that doesn't confirm much, just the fact that having two crests is a thing. The devs themselves have said that they took inspiration from FE4, so given that you could have two types of Holy Blood since birth in that game, it could mean the same rules apply here. Nothing  is certain though. We don't know all the crest mechanics and inheritance rules yet. Maybe you can get a crest transplantation or you can steal it from someone with a forbidden ritual etc. you probably get my point.

Already stated it can be gotten by having a distant family branch of that crest which is a rare occurrence to get a Major Crest of. I doubt it'll that complicated as mentioned already with holy blood you can potentially have 2 different unique types of holy blood on a character.

4 hours ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Already stated it can be gotten by having a distant family branch of that crest which is a rare occurrence to get a Major Crest of. I doubt it'll that complicated as mentioned already with holy blood you can potentially have 2 different unique types of holy blood on a character.

Once again, the idea that hou can be born with the crest of a distant relative (confirmed) and the idea that you can be born with two crests (unconfirmed) are unrelated.

We are talking about Lysithea and Edelgard, but let's give some spotlight to the 3rd dual crest wielder: our boy Nemesis. He is seen in a cinematic wielding a sword with two crest stones when clashing with Byleth. Given that we know that dual crests are a thing, it's almost certain that Nemesis also had two crests. In the end of the latest cinematic we witness Seiros hugging affectionately the sword of creation and saying "He's dead mother". I really believe the sword originally belonged to her mother, which means her mother also had the Crest of Flames. Now many of us speculate that Nemesis also has the Crest of Flames, but what if this is not the full truth? Nemesis could only have possessed the minor Crest of Flames(and thus could wield the sword without consequences), but his true "major" crest could have been something else entirely. Funny enough Marianne's crest is refered to as "mystery crest", and it is also present on Edelgard's axe. Seteth is also heard saying "Special blood is running through her veins. Dangerous blood." This could refer to Rhea, Byleth, Edelgard or even Marianne. He is very loyal to Rhea, so I doubt she is the one he is refering to. Female Byleth is a possibility, but I doubt he will talk like that in front of her. So it's probably Marianne or Edelgard. Given that Marianne is a secondary character, he is most likely refering to Edelgard. So what I am trying to say here is that Edelgard's second crest and Marianne's crest is Nemesis' second crest. It could also explain why they haven't revealed its name yet, because it certainly looks like it is plot related.