Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roxas

i just blew a bunch of money on the new switch what games do i get

Recommended Posts

i have three quizzes this week and an exam next monday

question still stands tho 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't get that weird fire emblem game, that game's for nerds

Fire Emblem aside, Smash, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are the big no-brainers.

Out now:

  • If you're into JRPGs, Ys VIII is a solid action JRPG, and Octopath Traveler is a good old-school JRPG. I'm not a big fan of the Xenoblade, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 seems pretty well liked for people who do dig that series. The Mana Collection is also a good set of JRPGs, though $40 is a bit steep for 3 25+ year old games.
  • Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 are addictive and engrossing time wasters. Fire Emblem Warriors is also a solid time wasting spinoff of a big franchise, coming from somebody who doesn't typically like Musou games.
  • Bayonetta 1 and 2 are fun action games for a system that didn't get Devil May Cry 5.
  • Splatoon 2 is apparently pretty good, though I don't have much experience with the series.

Coming soon:

  • Astral Chain is coming out in a week and a half for more Platinum action goodness.
  • Daemon X Machina is an Armored Core-esque mech game that's 4 weeks away. The demo was good, and the devs seem pretty committed to making it a great, accessible mech game.
  • Dragon Quest XI is coming out for the Switch next month, too. It's already a great JRPG, and the Switch version is looking like the definitive version.
  • Link's Awakening is a classic Zelda that's being remade. Comes out next month, in between Daemon X Machina and DQXI.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 comes out on Halloween, and is going back to the LM1 style of gameplay. Looks fun.
  • Langrisser 1 and 2 are also being remade for the Switch and come out early next year as a bundle.

Conclusion: The Switch has too many games.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's ok, I got(???????????) a new job and I'm studying at night and yet I bought Three Houses and a Switch.

... I guess recommending Three Houses is a given.

Otherwise, wait for Friends of Mineral Town Remake and Rune Factory 5, if they're your type of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Rune Factory 5, if they're your type of games.

YO????????????????????????????????????

 

9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Fire Emblem aside, Smash, Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are the big no-brainers.

debating getting one of botw or odyssey because i feel like if i get both then i won't finish either lol
also xd ps4 privilege i slaughtered dmc5 in like a week

and yes!!!!!! astral chain is on my list because platinum is platinum 

Edited by Roxas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...But the Switch Lite doesn't come out until September I thought? How do you already have one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that med school?  Might want to hold off on loading up on the games for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

...But the Switch Lite doesn't come out until September I thought? How do you already have one?

its the one that came out last week with the upgraded battery life! model HAC-001(-01)

38 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Is that med school?  Might want to hold off on loading up on the games for now.

h a  h

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roxas said:

its the one that came out last week with the upgraded battery life! model HAC-001(-01)

Oh, okay then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roxas said:

h a  h

Sorry, I don't know if that's a yes or a no, was just going by your member title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rezzy said:

Sorry, I don't know if that's a yes or a no, was just going by your member title.

yes but im just a bad student

Edited by Roxas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My love of free time is the reason I decided to not go to med school, despite having an amazing degree to go into med school with.

Also I'm lazy and don't want to study for more tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roxas said:

yes but im just a bad student

Okay, good luck, it can be a real tough slog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Daemon X Machina is an Armored Core-esque mech game that's 4 weeks away. The demo was good, and the devs seem pretty committed to making it a great, accessible mech game.

Weird, all I hear is "The DEMO WAS BAD! HYPE DEAD NO BUY! THIS GAME IS DOOMED TO FAIL!". Even though the devs said the demo was intended as a beta or alpha, intended to get feedback on what needed improve the game, it's not supposed to be the finished product.

I'm interested in seeing what reviews the game will get. I'm expecting 7-8s, which for me is "Good if you're into it.". Specifics will be bad plot, nothing special music, good gameplay, aesthetics depend on your tastes. The 7-8 range means people will be calling it a failure, despite it not being bad, but sales won't be great. This said, I'm hoping the game does well, and I might consider getting it eventually.

Astral Chain seems to be getting a lot of developer info and game material shown off right now, I'd be more optimistic in its sales expectations.

 

1 hour ago, Roxas said:

debating getting one of botw or odyssey because i feel like if i get both then i won't finish either lol
also xd ps4 privilege i slaughtered dmc5 in like a week

I'd pick SMO over BotW myself. BotW is nice, but a little empty. SMO is snappier and could probably be finished in a shorter time if you don't rush to Ganon in BotW (which a newbie to the game likely won't). And by "finish", I mean see the ending. Getting all the Power Moons has a small chance of taking longer than BotW 100%, but I doubt it, particularly if you like putting spikes to your backside and try collecting all the Korok Seeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Weird, all I hear is "The DEMO WAS BAD! HYPE DEAD NO BUY! THIS GAME IS DOOMED TO FAIL!". Even though the devs said the demo was intended as a beta or alpha, intended to get feedback on what needed improve the game, it's not supposed to be the finished product.

I'm interested in seeing what reviews the game will get. I'm expecting 7-8s, which for me is "Good if you're into it.". Specifics will be bad plot, nothing special music, good gameplay, aesthetics depend on your tastes. The 7-8 range means people will be calling it a failure, despite it not being bad, but sales won't be great. This said, I'm hoping the game does well, and I might consider getting it eventually.

Astral Chain seems to be getting a lot of developer info and game material shown off right now, I'd be more optimistic in its sales expectations.

The people I've talked with have all felt mostly positive towards the demo, with most citing a lot of QoL issues, which were then directly addressed in the trailer they dropped last month. But idk.

I also see it in the 7-8 range, maybe low-80s if the extra polish is enough. It is a pretty niche game. I hope it does well in sales, assuming the game turns out well... but it's releasing on the same day as Borderlands 3, which is a pretty big game. Its only saving grace is that I doubt there's much overlap with DXM's target audience and BL3's.

And yeah, Platinum's cemented itself as a developer in the last few years, so I think AC will do fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should go into General Gaming--

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Get Super Robot Wars T. Can't go wrong with a SRW game, I'd say.

WAIT WHAT REALLY?!  After I'm done with 3H, this is next on my list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Fire Emblem Warriors

Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Super Mario Odyssey

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eclipse said:

This should go into General Gaming--

WHENS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW ME POST OUTSIDE OF THE FE4THREAD

11 hours ago, Lysithea said:

Xenoblade Chronicles had been my favorite Switch game before Three Houses came out. Great story, great characters, nice gameplay and the battle system is not that hard to understand. 

 

is it a big deal if I haven't played the first one?

I have it for n3ds but idk man the combat just didn't gel with me

 

Edited by Roxas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I haven't actually played this, maybe the Final Fantasy 12 remaster? Apparently that game has got a lot of politics involved similar to some of the better Fire Emblem games. I'm thinking about that with Valkyria Chronicles, Sakura Wars, and Persona 5 Scramble should I get a Switch.

Edited by henrymidfields

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roxas said:

Is it a big deal if I haven't played the first one?

I have it for n3ds but idk man the combat just didn't gel with me

 

Neither I have. 

You do not have to play the first part because they are unconnected story wise and their battle system is different too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

While I haven't actually played this, maybe the Final Fantasy 12 remaster? Apparently that game has got a lot of politics involved similar to some of the better Fire Emblem games.

haha i actually played this all summer after graduation cause it came out on ps4 a while ago!! such a good game!!

10 hours ago, Lysithea said:

Neither I have. 

You do not have to play the first part because they are unconnected story wise and their battle system is different too. 

Ooo ok I'll look into it thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...