What would you think about a 'Mount Management' System in FE?

BergelomeuSantos

I don't know if someone posted a similar idea before, so be sure to let me know if they did.

While I was thinking about methods to balance mounted units, this idea came to my mind. It does have a lot in common with the Battalion System presented in Three Houses, though. So I was hoping to see more 'creative' ways to this system.

The central idea would be the maintenance of mounts, where they would have a more diversification of appearances, bonus, flaws and similar things.

Those bonus and flaws is where most of the similarities with the Battalion System takes place. A mount is not a simple 'perfect object' with no flaw. It can age, it can have certain fears, not be steady, the list goes on. It haves a personality, if you want to put that way. Putting those things in consideration would make the game a little more realistic and can be boring to some players, but the customization can also be fun for others.

The second concept would simply be something that takes the whole idea of 'It's not the user getting attacked, it's the mount', but I didn't really elaborated much on this one.

While those ideas would be mostly for balancing the vast advantages that mounted units have over infantry, it also would allow for more motives for dismounting. Sure, I don't think infantry will have a advantage unless they also get something like the first concept, even if it is something as dumb as ''Infantry gets battalions, Mounted Unit gets mount''.

The idea of training mounts been planned early on in Three Houses. But for what ever reason didn't made it into the final game. I think it's a good idea but needs to be balanced to avoid making good horse/fliers units even better while infantry gets little.

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:

The only part of this I like is visual customization of mounts. And frankly, when Three Houses can't even be bothered to make canon outfits on mounted classes a thing... I don't see it as realistic yet.

Petra is a canon wyvern rider tho. As well Ingrid as a Peg. Knight.

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Yes, and those same outfits don't carry over to Wyvern Lord and Falcon Knight respectively.

Eh, probably something stopping them from doing it. Beside they didn't have enough time to do a lot of stuff that I ain't surprised. Besides I think the monastery appearance thing can fix that now.

I remember that something like this implemented in one of Shozo Kaga’s Berwick Saga.

This link contains a section about how horses work: https://serenesforest.net/berwick-saga/general/introduction/

This link has a list of the horses in terms of stats: https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Berwick_Saga_Horses

3 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

Eh, probably something stopping them from doing it. Beside they didn't have enough time to do a lot of stuff that I ain't surprised. Besides I think the monastery appearance thing can fix that now.

The monastery appearance update explicitly doesn't apply to mounted classes that don't already have canon oufits. Yet.

I think it could be cool for sure. Naming a mount, managing its health and/or a fatigue mechanic. But if it ends up being too cool, then non mounted classes may seem boring by comparison, or even unoptimized if there was something  to gain from mount customization like more stats. In Three Houses, there's no units that you don't want equipped with battalions. Even the units with personal skills geared toward that like Felix and Catherine.

Personally I'd settle for aesthetic customization of units in a future game, which also happens to include mount customizations.

No. Making sure that every unit has enough equipment for the next few maps is bad enough, I don't want to have some silly (and really unnecessary) mount micro-management system piled on top of that. This just makes FE complex for the sake of being complex.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Honestly, something like this resembles something I felt Three Houses should have been like. When I saw the training system for all the different weapon types and all the different movement types, I thought this game was going to let us make our own classes, mixing and matching combinations of movement type, weapon type, and stat bonuses/penalties, like the "class" system of FEH.

On the other hand, it also seems a lot like battalions, and I mostly just find battalions annoying in execution. Just a piece of equipment with a limited-use combat art, except you have to remember to heal it between battles. Seriously, the replenishing cost is so trivial, why even have it? I know it doesn't take too long to do it, but it adds up with some other stuff Three Houses does that inadvertently maximizes the amount of stuff you can forget to do on the preparation screen, stuff that previous games did for you automatically or let you correct mid-battle.

It's an interesting idea. I don't really like the idea of "mount permadeath", and there's the objection that it could make infantry weaker and more boring in comparison. On the flip side, having to buy a mount could make mounted units require more investments, to get the reward of using them. If it's done as a way to introduce new mounts (camels, llamas, giant-ass falcons, komodo rhinos, Alaskan bull worms), then I could see giving it a try in a future title.