FE4 Remake request: Don't balance the game!

Hanes

2 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Basically IS needs to learn if they remove some broken things like the movement giving ring, then they shouldn't leave others like Armored units being 3 movement other infantry, and add new like giving 5 range the already broken Bow Knight great accuracy growth and giving the also absurd Dread Fighters the ability to halve all magic damage in a game filled to the brim with magic users.

Like its less balancing and more just pointlessly messing around with the game engine.

I wholeheartedly agree

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s slightly off topic but do y’all mind the minor stat tweaking that was done in SoV? I ask this because while several things were tweaked from the original, SoV is considered my many to be an excellent remake to the point where playing Gaiden is unnecessary. I think there is good reason to play FE1/3 because of their major differences from the original, but I’m not so sure I can say the same thing about Gaiden.

i bring this up because I don’t know if I want a remake to be different enough from FE4 or have is replace it entirely. I have little hope in IS that they will make a remake that surpasses the original in terms of quality. I just feel like there will be something off about the remake that will make me hate it.

14 minutes ago, Stephano said:

It’s slightly off topic but do y’all mind the minor stat tweaking that was done in SoV? I ask this because while several things were tweaked from the original, SoV is considered my many to be an excellent remake to the point where playing Gaiden is unnecessary. I think there is good reason to play FE1/3 because of their major differences from the original, but I’m not so sure I can say the same thing about Gaiden.

i bring this up because I don’t know if I want a remake to be different enough from FE4 or have is replace it entirely. I have little hope in IS that they will make a remake that surpasses the original in terms of quality. I just feel like there will be something off about the remake that will make me hate it.

Well even though I like Gaiden a bit it's slow and clunky and rough around the edges and that somewhat helped Echoes become such an accepted remake though it was also just excellent because of other reasons for the most part. I like how they made some bases and growths higher and increased accuracy a good bit but I didn't like the nerfs, because I just liked the broken stuff in Gaiden like the speed ring, the Gradivus (-9 or 6 speed now I think) or Est.

When talking about FE4, I want most of it to be kept the same, some changes could be small tweakings alright like Fire weighing less and magic-based units getting more movement (I never understood why mages and clerics should have less movement than other foot units in Jugdral and Tellius) maybe a bit of accuracy for certain weapons or have weapon weight work with strength to minimize it, or reposition-like combat arts etc. Those things I'm fine with, but trading, cutting maps into smaller chunks, an avatar and a few more I can't think of right now, I do not want.

Edited by This boi uses Nino

1 hour ago, Stephano said:

What do you mean by minor stat tweaking? Do you mean stuff like raising everyone's defense growth and lowering Valbar's speed? If so, I'm not crazy for that.

And as I mentioned there is still a number of gameplay mechanics in Gaiden that are superior to Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

58 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

When talking about FE4, I want most of it to be kept the same, some changes could be small tweakings alright like Fire weighing less and magic-based units getting more movement (I never understood why mages and clerics should have less movement than other foot units in Jugdral and Tellius) maybe a bit of accuracy for certain weapons or have weapon weight work with strength to minimize it, or reposition-like combat arts etc.

What would you think of armored units having higher movement and stuff like new personal skills like Arden having Pavise thus enabling him to pass it to a potential kid? Or adding a hard mode which increases the amount of enemies as well as their stats?

58 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Those things I'm fine with, but trading, cutting maps into smaller chunks, an avatar and a few more I can't think of right now, I do not want.

Same.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

And as I mentioned there is still a number of gameplay mechanics in Gaiden that are superior to Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

You have a point. Many nerfs were made in SoV that make the game less broken. Which is a shame because breaking games can be really fun. That’s one of my few praises I can give to 3H. 3H is a sandbox (albeit a somewhat limited One) where you can goof around and do funny stuff. I don’t want sandboxes like the one in 3H to return but I’m okay with it here because it makes the game unique. It’s a shame they took away items in SoV that gave you massive stat boosts and whatnot but for the most part, it was very faithful.

What would you think of armored units having higher movement and stuff like new personal skills like Arden having Pavise thus enabling him to pass it to a potential kid? Or adding a hard mode which increases the amount of enemies as well as their stats?

I’m all for a hard mode.

I definitely think tweaks can be made to the game that keep the core gameplay intact while also making the game more approachable. I want the game to stay the exact same but I want as many people to experience the story in its fullest as possible.

I think giving 1 extra moment to footlocked units would be a HUGE buff to at least make them almost on par with mounted units. However, if you give a movement to Arden, you give a movement to the enemies as well which I don’t like. I don’t think this is an easy solution but I’ll take a crack at it.

Arden: I think Arden can have a few more events that give him stats and I would make Pavise inheritable. That is it. It would give people and Insentive to train a really bad unit so that you can have really good kids. It’s a good reward. With help from Dew and the brave sword, Arden can level up but even then, it’s not easy.

azel: I would give mages a slight increase to EXP growths and give Azel a bit more speed so that he double more reliably. If anything, just give azel more speed at base. He turns into a very competent unit after he promotes but I find that he difficult to train to the point where you don’t get to see him in action for long.

Aidean: I wouldn’t change anything

Dew: Dew is the trickiest person to use. His only purpose is to give gold (which is VERY important) but his combat sucks which makes him very hard to level up. I think giving him miracle would be too broken so I would just give him pursuit OR raise his EXP growth. I think the latter would be better.

Ayra: would not change anything

Jamke: Jamke makes a really good first impression however it’s because of the killer bow. He doesn’t have a lot of movement but he is really good at combat. I would like to give Jamke and Bridget one extra move but I feel like it’s overkill. I think Jamke and Bridget are fine.

Holyn: would not change anything

lachesis: would not change anything

lewyn: Best combat unit in the game after he gets foresetty and dominates the arena. He has no movement but his tome makes up for it. Would not change anything.

Sylvia: Already broken

Claude: Would not change anything.

Tailtu: Wrath is very good but she lags behind so much. I don’t think you can do anything to this unit and not make her broken. If anything, I guess make her slightly more durable? Giving her movement would be way to much.

Bridget: she has a holy weapon so she will kill anything in her path. She will lag behind but at least can fight, albeit at 2 range.

You have a point. Many nerfs were made in SoV that make the game less broken. Which is a shame because breaking games can be really fun. That’s one of my few praises I can give to 3H. 3H is a sandbox (albeit a somewhat limited One) where you can goof around and do funny stuff. I don’t want sandboxes like the one in 3H to return but I’m okay with it here because it makes the game unique. It’s a shame they took away items in SoV that gave you massive stat boosts and whatnot but for the most part, it was very faithful.

I think in this case removing those items made the game more broken. Note whilst Shadow Dragon took out stuff like infinite boots, they also did stuff like give Generals more movement and reducing the weight of axes.

I’m all for a hard mode.

I definitely think tweaks can be made to the game that keep the core gameplay intact while also making the game more approachable. I want the game to stay the exact same but I want as many people to experience the story in its fullest as possible.

I'm liking your ideas.

15 minutes ago, Stephano said:

Jamke: Jamke makes a really good first impression however it’s because of the killer bow. He doesn’t have a lot of movement but he is really good at combat. I would like to give Jamke and Bridget one extra move but I feel like it’s overkill. I think Jamke and Bridget are fine.

That reminds me a popular hack of FE4 changes Jamke to hunter and adds branching promotions. Jamke can choose to promote to Warrior instead of Sniper. That'd be nice, at least the branching promotion part.

Who doesn't want a hard mode ?

6 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Based off Shadows of Valentia, they'll likely get even worse.

It's even worse when you consider the following: They are a joke in-story according to the convo with Arden.

That reminds me a popular hack of FE4 changes Jamke to hunter and adds branching promotions. Jamke can choose to promote to Warrior instead of Sniper. That'd be nice, at least the branching promotion part.

you didn't think thet would give Jamke a horse now ? 😛

I mean we had the forks in SoV, which allowed us to tweak things, such as changing a character with a bad class line, coff coff Baron, into a much better one, coff coff Dread Fighter, while keeping the advantage of the past. Valbar anyone ?

I'm all for branching classes, if it happens, I woonder how they'll do it. Imagine a canon BaronArden/Hannibal ! ... Still too slow but hey, discount Master Knight.

Just now, B.Leu said:

Who doesn't want a hard mode ?

It's even worse when you consider the following: They are a joke in-story according to the convo with Arden.

That was more Arden being a joke. People like Hannibal were taken seriously.

Just now, B.Leu said:

you didn't think thet would give Jamke a horse now ? 😛

I prefer Warrior Jamke as it makes him more like his brothers and upholds his nation's tradition of axe combat.

Just now, B.Leu said:

I'm all for branching classes, if it happens, I woonder how they'll do it. Imagine a canon BaronArden/Hannibal ! ... Still too slow but hey, discount Master Knight.

Baron Hannibal was possible in FE4 binary, that hack I mentioned and it was indeed a helpful promotion, plus a black palette Baron looked cool. Funnily enough Barons contain playable data in both FE4 and FE5. Healing stave armored units are actually significantly more helpful. Sharlow and Corpul could also become one.

Arden became an Iron Knight, a mounted armored class from TearRing Saga used by an Arden look alike.

That reminds me, Axe using Heroes would be nice to add to Genealogy of the Holy war. 

On 3/8/2020 at 12:40 PM, lightcosmo said:

How do they fix the issues without gutting the game? I agree with the TC, for example, they dont need to kill holy weapons for the sake of balance.

I dont want the game to be just like any other FE game either.

Remember FE6's obnoxious weapon level requirements?  Make it so that holy blood establishes X amount of weapon rank, or perhaps acts as a multiplier for weapon experience gained.  That way, if you really want to wield that Silver Sword, you can either grind like crazy or just go with the guy who's generally better at it.  Kind of like how people made OP units in Elibe.  I don't mind the option, because if someone wants to do it, it isn't going to ruin my experience of the game.

For tomes, increase the AS needed to double (and Pursuit is not going to exist, thankyouverymuch), instead of making them so stupidly heavy that they cut into Avoid.

Part of gen 1's problems is that it introduces some extremely OP 9-move units early, while your footies need time to catch up, combat-wise and movement-wise.  The in-game arena is only good to a point - the minute Dew runs into an armor without the Armorslayer handy is the minute his usefulness tanks.  I'd cut down the movement of all mounted units by 1, and completely nuke the Road tile - there will still be a difference, but it isn't so pronounced that your foot units are forever trailing behind.  Meanwhile, design some of the early maps so that mounts can't run ahead and trivialize everything - that stupid forest in Chapter 1 was a nice attempt, at least.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:35 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

Well this part can't be debated since it's just opinion.

Actually, it can.

See, the general trend of games have gone from "stupid obscure crap in out of the way places because the Internet wasn't as widespread back then" to "you can get mostly everything if you put enough time into it".  Trying to drag a mentality that is literally older than you into the mainstream today means that the game is probably not going to review very well, which in turn will cut into sales.  I understand the case for keeping the charming parts of FE4, but it shouldn't be at the expense of sales.  Every single remake so far has incorporated more modern features into it, for better or for worse.  Because FE11 would've been utter ass if my healers didn't gain staff experience.

On 3/8/2020 at 1:35 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

Well then you slow down Noish, "but then he doesn't fight", well there's an arena if levels somehow become an issue and if he needs to fight he can speed up to full 9 move + roads.

Choosing between supports and combat is not good game design.

4 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I feel like there shouldn't be much movement tweaking, except for mages and clerics. I know armors are still pretty bad with it but I just feel like that changes the core gameplay just enough to make it pretty different (giving all foot units +1 move that is) or maybe I'm just bad at adapting. If it happens to make the maps more bearable then I think increasing cavalry's movement would be good too? Since I mean they also take time to traverse the world. That Arden tweak is pretty neat, maybe even Paragon? Oh that's too greedy... unless? And a Hard mode is fine for me.

15 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Actually, it can.

I'm not denying the following things you said, I just think taking out the big maps changes FE4 to much, for better or for worse. But by "we can't debate this because of opinion" I meant that you see it as a waste of time and I see it as something that adds to the worldbuilding and international conflict theme of the game.

and completely nuke the Road til

The road tile is heavily unfair but without it, aren't you making the game even more "sufferable"?

I propose this: Road tiles cost 0.55 movement for foot units, while they change to 0.65 for mounted units. That would be a better way to have foot units, a bit more math but +-0.05 does change it a good deal in practice.

9 move mounted unit through original full road = 15 whopping move (wheeee)

9 move mounted unit through tweaked full road = 13 (almost just as fast but -2 move kind of sucks)

5 move foot unit through full original road = 8 move (boooooo). 6 move unit would be 10 (nice)

5 move foot unit through full tweaked road = 9 (it helps somewhat but with Xavier's nerfed the difference is less sound. 6 move unit would be still 10 actually, so we still have a perfect divide of 6 move units being 1 up than armored boys. 

This is obviously only on a full road though, you don't always fully walk on them so these aren't always going to be like this.

How so? You have to make a choice wether you sacrifice EXP for love points (and I mean it's not entirely destroying it either, you're moving forward) or do the opposite.

In general, I think the problem with how FE4 is perceived is that the Prologue and Chapter 1 are very linear and so your foot units get stuck behind your mounted guys; and while the first few chapters are the first impression, they are relatively short. Future maps open more branching paths where your foot units will likely be ahead of mounted units by actually being behind if they follow them so strictly, cavaliers will catch up but then you would likely have a fairer situation where the foot units are closer to the enemies.

2 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I'm not denying the following things you said, I just think taking out the big maps changes FE4 to much, for better or for worse. But by "we can't debate this because of opinion" I meant that you see it as a waste of time and I see it as something that adds to the worldbuilding and international conflict theme of the game.

Thing is, if the consensus goes towards me, it's going to affect sales, because no one wants to play a game that they think is a waste of time.  Which isn't what either of us wants.

3 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

The road tile is heavily unfair but without it, aren't you making the game even more "sufferable"?

I propose this: Road tiles cost 0.55 movement for foot units, while they change to 0.65 for mounted units. That would be a better way to have foot units, a bit more math but +-0.05 does change it a good deal in practice.

9 move mounted unit through original full road = 15 whopping move (wheeee)

9 move mounted unit through tweaked full road = 13 (almost just as fast but -2 move kind of sucks)

5 move foot unit through full original road = 8 move (boooooo). 6 move unit would be 10 (nice)

5 move foot unit through full tweaked road = 9 (it helps somewhat but with Xavier's nerfed the difference is less sound. 6 move unit would be still 10 actually, so we still have a perfect divide of 6 move units being 1 up than armored boys. 

This is obviously only on a full road though, you don't always fully walk on them so these aren't always going to be like this.

I like the idea of multiple objectives on the map.  I don't like that they're all over the damn place in a linear fashion.  Chapter 2 was absolutely obnoxious about this, and this is where my playthrough ends.  So. . .

- Objectives aren't going to require the bulk of your force to run back and forth like me when it's five minutes before I need to leave the house
- Certain objectives will have terrain such that it's slightly faster to send your footies there, while your horses go elsewhere
- Roads can get lost.  Plains in their place, and generally make the maps slightly smaller.  Note the "slightly".  Reinforcements aren't all clumped together in one big pile that says "Sigurd get your Silver Sword kills here!"  Like, have they not heard of pincer formations?
- Instead of churches, have forts that can go either way.  You need to attack the structure itself before it converts to your side.  While it's yours, your units can go on top of it and heal.  While it's the enemy's, they spawn reinforcements that give no experience/gold after X spawns or something.  Would give your footies something to do.
- I'd go as far as customizing the arena based on a unit's class, so that your lower-strength units have a better chance of getting through it, instead of the "rich get richer" situation it is

13 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

How so? You have to make a choice wether you sacrifice EXP for love points (and I mean it's not entirely destroying it either, you're moving forward) or do the opposite.

Meanwhile, your units that don't need it (*cough*SIGURD*cough*) just blitz ahead.

I'm more familiar with FE5 than FE4 but I feel like a FE4 remake should keep the idea of large map that are the length of several normal maps. 

More radical changes would be like changing items and pursuit. Axes and lance weight is what makes enemies in Fire Emblem 4 so slow as enemies rarely carry lightweight weapons and if they do it's a stupid ass sword armor. 

Ways to speed up certain parts would be welcome like possibly giving you a rescue staff earlier in the game or map the warp staff like every other game and change return staff to be the old warp staff. 

Every Fire Emblem remake changed many things and added new mechanics. Echoes despite being faithful still added a ton of new characters and combat arts. Some classes like falcon knights got nerfed while buffing the healer classes to actually gain EXP from white magic. 

I'm expecting the possible FE4 remake to add in new characters. Hopefully it isn't a badly done avatar character. Mechanically I feel like some things are just really stupid like weapon weight creating a massive bias for sword users compared to the other weapon types. 

3 minutes ago, PPPPPPP270 said:

Every Fire Emblem remake changed many things and added new mechanics. Echoes despite being faithful still added a ton of new characters and combat arts. Some classes like falcon knights got nerfed while buffing the healer classes to actually gain EXP from white magic. 

They completely nerfed many of the items, buffed the already broken Bow Knight and Dread Fighter classes, and nerfed Baron to nothing.

5 hours ago, PPPPPPP270 said:

I'm expecting the possible FE4 remake to add in new characters. Hopefully it isn't a badly done avatar character. Mechanically I feel like some things are just really stupid like weapon weight creating a massive bias for sword users compared to the other weapon types

If an avatar gets added, I’m rioting. But I think it’s possible they will add in one more female unit into the game thus giving the 5 remaining male units an extra partner. This will create 4 extra units in gen 2 so 5 new units total.

i don’t think it’s wrong that swords are good in this game. Swords have been shafted in every game after FE5. Your units are balanced around the weapon system. Even though swords are broken, Lex still kicks butt with the brave axe, Quan while only attacking once does major damage with the silver lance, Finn has miracle and gets the brave lance, and Furry reliably doubles. I don’t think weapon weights need to change.

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

Remember FE6's obnoxious weapon level requirements?  Make it so that holy blood establishes X amount of weapon rank, or perhaps acts as a multiplier for weapon experience gained.  That way, if you really want to wield that Silver Sword, you can either grind like crazy or just go with the guy who's generally better at it.  Kind of like how people made OP units in Elibe.  I don't mind the option, because if someone wants to do it, it isn't going to ruin my experience of the game.

For tomes, increase the AS needed to double (and Pursuit is not going to exist, thankyouverymuch), instead of making them so stupidly heavy that they cut into Avoid.

Part of gen 1's problems is that it introduces some extremely OP 9-move units early, while your footies need time to catch up, combat-wise and movement-wise.  The in-game arena is only good to a point - the minute Dew runs into an armor without the Armorslayer handy is the minute his usefulness tanks.  I'd cut down the movement of all mounted units by 1, and completely nuke the Road tile - there will still be a difference, but it isn't so pronounced that your foot units are forever trailing behind.  Meanwhile, design some of the early maps so that mounts can't run ahead and trivialize everything - that stupid forest in Chapter 1 was a nice attempt, at least.

See, the general trend of games have gone from "stupid obscure crap in out of the way places because the Internet wasn't as widespread back then" to "you can get mostly everything if you put enough time into it".  Trying to drag a mentality that is literally older than you into the mainstream today means that the game is probably not going to review very well, which in turn will cut into sales.  I understand the case for keeping the charming parts of FE4, but it shouldn't be at the expense of sales.  Every single remake so far has incorporated more modern features into it, for better or for worse.  Because FE11 would've been utter ass if my healers didn't gain staff experience.

I don't think any of this fixes the issue that double strikes are beyond broken as a mechanic, though. I don't mind if they change they weapon level growth, but the * rank really should still be reserved for full blooded units if they change that.

I know the "stupid and obscure" quote wasn't directed at me, but Stefan still exists, too.

23 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

The issue whit doubling is still made worse, and the only partial fix is finding items in hidden tiles, wich was already a stupid as fuck mechanic in the SNES era.

This doesn't change the fact that it's broken in any FE game. Also, see Stefan... again, along with any desert chapter, for that matter.

I would say to put a drawback on doubling, personally. Give Pursuit an activation rate, like most other skills. Speed % chance to double wouldn't make it broken.

That, or make it activate only when your initiating combat, no exceptions. Otherwise, it's way too reliable, which isn't at all balanced.

Edited by lightcosmo

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

L kidPoint  This doesn't change the fact that it's broken in any FE game. Also, see Stefan... again, along with any desert chapter, for that matter.

I would say to put a drawback on doubling, personally. Give Pursuit an activation rate, like most other skills. Speed % chance to double wouldn't make it broken.

That, or make it activate only when your initiating combat, no exceptions. Otherwise, it's way too reliable, which isn't at all balanced.

I think too many people give pursuit a bad rap for being too OP. Yes it is broken but just because some characters don’t have it doesn’t mean those characters are useless. Chaz said in a video that any character you receive should be seen as a net gain. 

noish: while an average unit, he is supposed to be tag teaming with alec. So his strength comes from Alec. For the arena, he can just use a horse slayer, brave sword, or armor slayer to progress further.

quan: he is just beefy and tanky. While he may not always kill, he is more than capable of dealing a massive blow and allowing weaker characters like Alec and Arden to get the kill.

lex. Lex is a tank and deals good damage, but requires the brave axe to one round enemies.

Aiden: she is mainly suppose to be healing so she doesn’t need it.

Dew: dew is actually someone I thinks need Dew to make up for the fact that he doesn’t fight often and spend his time running around.

Jamke: a machine gun. Almost always reliable but can sometimes let you down.

Lachesis: turns into a broken master night. Doesn’t need to Double.

Lewyn: about as reliable as Jamke. He will kill almost everything most of the time. So I don’t think he needs it.

sylvia: isn’t supposed to fight.

Even lyre is foing to eventually doing something if RD allowed you to deploy everyone. Does not make it a balanced game in any capacity. 

Half of the units you mentioned have an horse and are good by default because of that, as horses are even more unbalanced than pursuit and the other half are either bad units or not fighters. The one thing Jamka and Lewyn are supposed to do is to kill things on player phase, and if even that is not good enought(as in, not 100% reliable) they are bad. Even forseti Lewyn can miss an ORKO againist mooks, wich for all the hype legendary weapons get is a travesty.

I saw chaz video and i feel blueballed because i did not knew the youtuber and hoped for genealogy to get the roast it deserve. 

I think too many people give pursuit a bad rap for being too OP. Yes it is broken but just because some characters don’t have it doesn’t mean those characters are useless. Chaz said in a video that any character you receive should be seen as a net gain. 

noish: while an average unit, he is supposed to be tag teaming with alec. So his strength comes from Alec. For the arena, he can just use a horse slayer, brave sword, or armor slayer to progress further.

quan: he is just beefy and tanky. While he may not always kill, he is more than capable of dealing a massive blow and allowing weaker characters like Alec and Arden to get the kill.

lex. Lex is a tank and deals good damage, but requires the brave axe to one round enemies.

Dew: dew is actually someone I thinks need Dew to make up for the fact that he doesn’t fight often and spend his time running around.

Lewyn: about as reliable as Jamke. He will kill almost everything most of the time. So I don’t think he needs it.

You would've had a point were it not for the fact that half of the units you just listed have (or eventually get) a horse, which is probably the biggest imbalancing factor in this game. The other half are either not fighters or are crippled because they don't have a horse (or Pursuit). This isn't helped by the fact that the Pursuit Ring is extremely obscure and easy to miss.

Edited by Shadow Mir

First, it's not a kids point, it's actually a fact. Speed is valued purely for the multi striking.

Also Master Knight gets Pursuit as a class skill, so she and Leif still have it.

And Continue is psuedo doubling, just much more balanced as it can fail you.

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I don't think any of this fixes the issue that double strikes are beyond broken as a mechanic, though. I don't mind if they change they weapon level growth, but the * rank really should still be reserved for full blooded units if they change that.

I know the "stupid and obscure" quote wasn't directed at me, but Stefan still exists, too.

Keeping the absolute-highest weapon rank available to full holy blood units is fine IMO.  It's stupid things like having Dew stuck with Iron/magic swords until he promotes, even though he'd appreciate the MT boost of Steel then.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

You would've had a point were it not for the fact that half of the units you just listed have (or eventually get) a horse, which is probably the biggest imbalancing factor in this game. The other half are either not fighters or are crippled because they don't have a horse (or Pursuit). This isn't helped by the fact that the Pursuit Ring is extremely obscure and easy to miss.

That’s my point. Just because a character doesn’t have pursuit doesn’t mean they are not usable. Even units that have neither such as Jamke and Lewyn excel in some other way. Maybe not in the most important way (movement) but both can still fight and perform some tasks while your mounted units are off doing something else.

And why does it matter that a fire emblem game is balanced. Every fire emblem game can be broken in some way and that’s part of the fun.