• Shinon: Scathing Archer
    • Leif: Destined Scions
    • Claude: King of Unification
    • Louise: Lady of Violets
    • Virion: Elite Archer
    • Eleonora: Shooting Starlet
    • Igrene: Nabata Protector

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/06/2021 at 02:59 AM

21 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The problem with the game mode before the multiplier system was that there was literally no point in joining the teams of less popular characters because joining the single most popular team would always guarantee the most feathers. With the first iteration of the multiplier system, there was still no point in joining the teams of less popular characters because the victory reward was enough to offset the cumulative score reward.

If rewards are all you care about, none of the previous formats made it worth voting for your favorites unless your favorites were the most popular characters.

Helping my favorites and joining their team to achieve victory was what I cared about most. I want my favorites to win. Rewards is a secondary concern at best far from any kind of priority. Personally, we are talking about a measly 1,500 Feathers that I would barely notice since I Sent Home so many Heroes back in the day before Manuals were a thing.

Since winning for my favorites no longer depends on popularity and joining my favorites does not actually do anything to help them win, rewards became the only motivation for me now despite how little it mattered to me in the beginning.

I am totally fine with giving the losing team a compensation reward of 1,000 or even 2,000 Feathers. If the choice was helping my favorites win at the cost of having less Feathers, I would have still picked and joined my favorites. Since winning is just a flip of the coin now with no correlation to popularity or effort, I might as well just join whoever has the least popularity for Feathers.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Helping my favorites and joining their team to achieve victory was what I cared about most. I want my favorites to win.

[...]

Since winning for my favorites no longer depends on popularity and joining my favorites does not actually do anything to help them win, [...]

The pre-multiplier system only gave you the illusion of helping. If the team was smaller, the chance of winning was always zero, and your support meant absolutely nothing.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Since winning is just a flip of the coin now with no correlation to popularity or effort, I might as well just join whoever has the least popularity for Feathers.

The larger team still wins more than 50% of the time. That's not a coin flip.

Well, on to team Virion I go! Because I actually do like Virion as a character, and I dislike Shinon as a character.

I do think the Voting Gauntlet needs a multiplier system of some kind, otherwise there really is no point in joining any team of a less popular character. Maybe the current iteration of the system isn't great, but I don't really know how else they could do it. It sucks sometimes, though, that's for sure.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The pre-multiplier system only gave you the illusion of helping. If the team was smaller, the chance of winning was always zero, and your support meant absolutely nothing.

With the pre-multiplier system, I know how much I am helping.

With the multiplier system, my help does not really matter at all.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The larger team still wins more than 50% of the time. That's not a coin flip.

It is much easier to score really high in the smaller teams to offset not getting the army victory Feathers, and I generally get at least one round of victory Feathers per Gauntlet on average, so it is not like I am being punished for choosing the losing side. It makes no sense for me to pick a popular team, even if they are more likely than not to be my favorites, when I have to spend extra effort to monitor scores to time my Feather spending and they still have a high chance of losing. And since I pick the most lopsided losing side, I feel like my chances of winning is not that low since the stupidly high multiplier makes it pretty easy to catch up and slam the winning side.

3 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Well, on to team Virion I go! Because I actually do like Virion as a character, and I dislike Shinon as a character.

I do think the Voting Gauntlet needs a multiplier system of some kind, otherwise there really is no point in joining any team of a less popular character. Maybe the current iteration of the system isn't great, but I don't really know how else they could do it. It sucks sometimes, though, that's for sure.

I am not sure if I care this point. I mean, I still want my favorites to win even in the current format, but even if they bring the old Voting Gauntlet back but give more Feathers to the losing team instead of to the winning team, I will still stick with choosing whatever option gives me the most Feathers with the least effort.

If they bring back the old format and want me to vote based on who I like more, they have to pick my absolute favorites like Plumeria, Anna, Lucina, Camilla, Loki, etc. for me to actually care.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, XRay said:

With the pre-multiplier system, I know how much I am helping.

With the multiplier system, my help does not really matter at all.

My point exactly. It gives you the illusion that you are helping when the amount that you're contributing doesn't actually matter in either scenario. The fact that you think you're helping shows that you fell for the illusion.

The smaller team literally could not win before the multiplier was implemented, meaning that no matter how much you contributed, it couldn't have mattered.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

It is much easier to score really high in the smaller teams to offset not getting the army victory Feathers, and I generally get at least one round of victory Feathers per Gauntlet on average, so it is not like I am being punished for choosing the losing side.

The victory reward makes up for dropping a full one and a half tiers in army rewards, which is plenty enough to offset the effect of being on a larger team.

Unless you are paying very close attention to multipliers to optimize your flag usage, statistically, the difference in rewards between teams is fairly negligible in the long run.

53 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

My point exactly. It gives you the illusion that you are helping when the amount that you're contributing doesn't actually matter in either scenario. The fact that you think you're helping shows that you fell for the illusion.

The smaller team literally could not win before the multiplier was implemented, meaning that no matter how much you contributed, it couldn't have mattered.

Individually, maybe not, but the player base as a whole gets to say who wins and loses. With the multiplier system, nobody gets a say.

Individuals also have a chance of influencing who wins or not between rounds and they have some time to organize and rally around certain characters, so they can choose to support or foil the more popular team. With the multiplier system, all that effort does not really work unless you can get enough players to overwhelm the multiplier.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The victory reward makes up for dropping a full one and a half tiers in army rewards, which is plenty enough to offset the effect of being on a larger team.

Unless you are paying very close attention to multipliers to optimize your flag usage, statistically, the difference in rewards between teams is fairly negligible in the long run.

By picking the smaller team, there is no way to get prolonged no-multiplier hell, so it is easy to rank high with little effort. That piece of mind and ease is something picking a larger team will not give to a player.

I rather coast for high rewards than put in the effort for characters I like, but have no guarantee of winning nor being rewarded for extra effort put in to time my Feather spending.

11 minutes ago, XRay said:

Individuals also have a chance of influencing who wins or not between rounds and they have some time to organize and rally around certain characters, so they can choose to support or foil the more popular team.

Explain to me how you think organizing supporters behind an individual person's rally helps when the average team size is on the order of 10,000-100,000 people.

Unless you have a following numbering in the thousands and that following is completely ambivalent to the characters in the event, you're not going to be influencing the result.

14 minutes ago, XRay said:

By picking the smaller team, there is no way to get prolonged no-multiplier hell, so it is easy to rank high with little effort.

That is entirely false. Same hell can occur any time the two teams are of similar size, and that can be the case if both teams are small or if both teams are large. There is absolutely nothing preventing a small team from being stuck in same hell if the opposing team is equally small.

"Team Feathers" is not the smallest or smaller team. It's the team whose size is the smallest percentage of its opponent's size.

Honestly I stopped caring a while ago, I just join whatever team whose unit I have and is Colorless, if not applicable then green, then blue, and leaving red as the last resort.

Who wins? Who loses? I don't care, just let me get my 5 required battles in, let me get the divine codes for battling with certain colored units, and let me go about my day of not caring about this faux popularity contest that only matters if a freebie unit gets to come out of it, I'm not the kind of person to get uppity about feathers.

20 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Explain to me how you think organizing supporters behind an individual person's rally helps when the average team size is on the order of 10,000-100,000 people.

Unless you have a following numbering in the thousands and that following is completely ambivalent to the characters in the event, you're not going to be influencing the result.

Not Voting Gauntlet, but Veronica was propelled to second place in CYL 2 while Camilla was kicked from first to second place in CYL 3. From the third Voting Gauntlet onwards, it is impossible to rally behind anyone in that mode since multipliers became a thing.

20 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

That is entirely false. Same hell can occur any time the two teams are of similar size, and that can be the case if both teams are small or if both teams are large. There is absolutely nothing preventing a small team from being stuck in same hell if the opposing team is equally small.

"Team Feathers" is not the smallest or smaller team. It's the team whose size is the smallest percentage of its opponent's size.

When I mean smaller team, I obviously mean a team that is smaller than the opposing team, not smallest team in the entire Gauntlet. There is no reason to pick a team if the opposing team is similar in size since the whole point is to avoid no-multiplier hell in the first place. I generally pick the team that is the most severely outmatched.

44 minutes ago, XRay said:

Not Voting Gauntlet, but Veronica was propelled to second place in CYL 2 while Camilla was kicked from first to second place in CYL 3.

Yeah. That's because CYL is not Voting Gauntlet and there are actually stakes in the results of CYL that are more than a few hundred extra feathers for picking the right team in Voting Gauntlet.

Furthermore, I don't think campaigning accounts for as much of the change between the midterm results and the final results as you seem to think. Characters that see second-half rallies are already popular characters in their own rights (or in the case of Veronica, there were probably enough people curious to see what would happen if she made it in without having her base version obtainable), and seeing them have a chance to place in the top two is what end up putting them there.

50 minutes ago, XRay said:

When I mean smaller team, I obviously mean a team that is smaller than the opposing team, not smallest team in the entire Gauntlet. There is no reason to pick a team if the opposing team is similar in size since the whole point is to avoid no-multiplier hell in the first place. I generally pick the team that is the most severely outmatched.

You literally contradicted this explanation with the sentence immediately afterwards:

22 hours ago, XRay said:

That piece of mind and ease is something picking a larger team will not give to a player.

If you meant "most severely outmatched" when you said "smaller team", then "larger team" here, which is clearly meant as a direct contrast, should mean the opposite, which literally also has a zero chance of ending up in a prolonged Same hell.