New Heroes - Ymir & More

SoV was competently expected,  They are following last year line up, that would make

September: Fates

October: 3H

Nov: Archanea

Dec: Tellius + new Book

I can totally see both fates and 3h swapped though.

-----------

Alright IS, I'm ready for Ascended Micaiah for next year.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

I accept that Ascended + OC + 2 heroes is the new status quo. Doesn't mean that I like it.

That's not quite right. The new status quo is Ascended, three main-pool new heroes, and a GHB, plus sometimes an OC as a sixth unit.

4 hours ago, Othin said:

Problem with Alm (and Conrad) is that part of the motivation for Ascendeds seems to be keeping the pool of female characters from running low too fast, and Echoes' main pool is now completely male.

Excluding Cipher, of course.

The more I think about it the more obvious Faye seems as the choice for this ascended unit. Not only does she have the female advantage, but she has a her whole selection of classes available for alts considering on the first round they inexplicably made her an archer, which she can't even do. Pegasus Knight, Staff or Tome Faye would have all been good choices.

Though if personally got to pick I think I would have went with Ascended Duma using his NES design.

Edited by Jotari

16 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

There was a time when IS released direct 3*-4* heroes regardless of OCs or Ascendeds being on a banner. Then they changed their mind. This is pretty much the same thing.

Kaze was released with a 3-unit banner (Hinoka, Kana, and Shigure).

After that, we had a short stretch between CYL 3 and the start of Book IV where we had Banutu, Valbar, Ross, and Chad added as off-banner demotes before Peony's banner set the pattern we still have today. (The banner Ross was attached to also had Duo Ephraim, who wasn't added to the standard summoning pool.)

They haven't changed their mind on anything with this banner (or Letizia's, for that matter).

New Heroes banners with original characters still get an off-banner demote to make up for the original character taking a banner slot. This has been true since the beginning of Book IV.

Ascended Heroes still take up a banner slot without replacement. This has been true since the release of Ascended Heroes.

Ash's banner not having an Ascended Hero on it is not unexpected in hindsight. The Ascended Hero mechanic had only existed for 2 banners at that point, so it makes sense that there might be some inconsistencies while they were still finding their footing. However, as it stands, we can now expect them to have an Ascended Hero on every New Heroes banner.

(As before, "New Heroes banner" in this entire post excludes the Fallen Heroes and CYL banners, which have always done their own thing.)

Honestly, the thing that baffles me the most with these female Heroes OCs being added into the game so quickly like this is ...

Well, does IS keep on putting them on the banner because they think females sell better than males? I think that's a big part of it, but let's be honest. If it was solely the female factor, they'd be comfortable giving these ladies the "fodder" 5-star kit with no prf because they're just that confident a female character will sell. No, they go out of their way to make these OCs as busted as they can with unique niches and stuff. So they're clearly aware that their female OCs won't sell just by existing. They need to be good. So clearly, being good is also a factor, right?

I don't see why they don't just give some male characters a similarly busted treatment. Like, hypothetically, if we didn't have Ymir on this banner but we had Nomah in her spot and he had a functionally identical kit (just bear with me here, I know that's unrealistic) do they not think people won't pull for him just for his skills and what he does as a unit? Do they think it will be so much less that their banner will go from success to failure?

Heck, I don't even need to use Nomah as an example. What about the soon-to-be-gone Ashen Wolves banner that just got rerun? It boggles my mind that they kicked off BALTHUS for Muspell. Sure, he was the least popular Ashen Wolf, yes, but he was not doing badly in popularity polls and Muspell was just a "literally who". And yeah, Muspell is a dude, but he is still an OC who kicked someone off the banner. And not just any banner, a THREE HOUSES banner. The Nifl banner was also just a literally what for me, in that they wasted three of their most popular female units alongside an OC and only added on male OC via direct injection to pool. They could've held onto Orochi and put Hayato on there instead, or something. Also, Orochi got a prf for ... kinda no reason, I guess, when a lot of 4-star units who didn't canonically have them just didn't get them at all.

Maybe male characters would sell better if IS didn't keep treating them like literal crap with very little good fodder skills and less likely to get prfs than female characters. Maybe non-OCs (both male and female) would sell better if IS gave them preferential treatment like they do their OCs. And maybe their OCs would sell horribly regardless of design if you treated them like a 4-star demote. Seriously, IS.

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

Honestly, the thing that baffles me the most with these female Heroes OCs being added into the game so quickly like this is ...

Well, does IS keep on putting them on the banner because they think females sell better than males? I think that's a big part of it, but let's be honest. If it was solely the female factor, they'd be comfortable giving these ladies the "fodder" 5-star kit with no prf because they're just that confident a female character will sell. No, they go out of their way to make these OCs as busted as they can with unique niches and stuff. So they're clearly aware that their female OCs won't sell just by existing. They need to be good. So clearly, being good is also a factor, right?

I don't see why they don't just give some male characters a similarly busted treatment. Like, hypothetically, if we didn't have Ymir on this banner but we had Nomah in her spot and he had a functionally identical kit (just bear with me here, I know that's unrealistic) do they not think people won't pull for him just for his skills and what he does as a unit? Do they think it will be so much less that their banner will go from success to failure?

Heck, I don't even need to use Nomah as an example. What about the soon-to-be-gone Ashen Wolves banner that just got rerun? It boggles my mind that they kicked off BALTHUS for Muspell. Sure, he was the least popular Ashen Wolf, yes, but he was not doing badly in popularity polls and Muspell was just a "literally who". And yeah, Muspell is a dude, but he is still an OC who kicked someone off the banner. And not just any banner, a THREE HOUSES banner. The Nifl banner was also just a literally what for me, in that they wasted three of their most popular female units alongside an OC and only added on male OC via direct injection to pool. They could've held onto Orochi and put Hayato on there instead, or something. Also, Orochi got a prf for ... kinda no reason, I guess, when a lot of 4-star units who didn't canonically have them just didn't get them at all.

Maybe male characters would sell better if IS didn't keep treating them like literal crap with very little good fodder skills and less likely to get prfs than female characters. Maybe non-OCs (both male and female) would sell better if IS gave them preferential treatment like they do their OCs. And maybe their OCs would sell horribly regardless of design if you treated them like a 4-star demote. Seriously, IS.

I'm guessing there's an element of wanting to make it so that the units players will be incentivized to use will line up with units they expect players to want to use, since they expect more player satisfaction that way.

That doesn't explain throwing away units like Orochi, though.

Beyond male units being sent out to fail, there's the broader thing of New Heroes banners in general being sent out to fail. They did throw a bone to us in the form of Ascended heroes to help these banners out a little, but the ledger is still firmly tilted towards seasonals. I reckon if I had to name the top ten or so heroes I most want right now, there'd be a couple of them at best that were introduced from New Heroes.

Sure there's the argument that it's just a matter of taste and my personal biases are colouring the debate, but I'm pretty sure the sales data strongly corroborates this. Now it seems IS is happy enough with the status quo so perhaps it's that we're already at the breakpoint where making New Heroes more attractive would simply cannibalise sales of Special Heroes, and so no further blood can be squeezed from this stone.

Following on from that might then explain the male hero trend: it's not that they can't make a more commercially successful unit, it's that doing so would not necessarily result in a more commercially successful game overall.

So in other words, instead of making some or even most of the money, they want to make ALL of the money?

The direction they're choosing to go in is personally a bummer for me, because I prefer New Heroes banners over seasonal banners. Even if a character I really like (such as Eirika) shows up on a seasonal banner, not having a guaranteed spark (no FEH pass) just means that if I don't pull the unit I want within a certain number of orbs, I'd rather just take the miss and try again later. Whereas on a New Heroes banner I can guarantee my most wanted unit at least.

2 hours ago, Othin said:

I'm guessing there's an element of wanting to make it so that the units players will be incentivized to use will line up with units they expect players to want to use, since they expect more player satisfaction that way.

That doesn't explain throwing away units like Orochi, though.

I guess, but even so their decisions are just really baffling regarding the OCs. It just feels like they refuse to even try with demotes or male characters anymore. Galzus being a fodder unit is still just a what to me. He's popular enough for a Thracia character that they could've held him back and put a less popular character in his place. What they chose to do with Miledy also baffles me for similar reasons.

Edited by Sunwoo

4 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Balthus is the least popular Ashen Wolf? What's wrong with Fire Emblem fans 😕

General sentiment agreed though. I reckon Balthus got the short end of the stick because they knew they weren't going to commit to using Gauntlets as a weapon. There's still stuff they could have done, like giving him a B skill named after his relic, or make his Vajra Mushiti an axe, but one that has the animation of him using his fists, but they were looking for an excuse to demote someone and his unique scenario threw him out. Honestly, much as I love Yuri as a unit in Heroes, I wish they'd held off on adding the Ashen Wolves until the next original game in the series is released and we could see what faith Gauntlets have in the series as a whole. It's not like there aren't other Three Houses characters that could have been put on that banner (or even just not have made it a Three Houses banner).

Edited by Jotari

Stats haven't been posted here yet, but I'll respond to them anyways:

No surprises for Celica, Est, or Ymir.

Kamui's stats after Dragonflowers are comparable to Male Byleth's. Not bad.

Atlas is a trainee and hits the 190 stat bucket after a merge. His offenses are basically the same as Summer Caspar or Young Boyd. Also not bad, but also nothing special. He comes with Threaten Atk/Def, which is nice if you're wanting to grab Atk/Def Menace with another skill and don't want to use a Grail unit for that. He has Stout Axe, which has the same effect as Roshe's Stout Lance.

Brigand Boss is literally Gonzalez, but with a few points of HP moved into Def and Res. He has Vulture Axe.

Edited by Ice Dragon
Removing spoiler tag

...welp, there's your meme character everyone. He's almost the exact same unit as Atlas, just slightly worse.
https://i.redd.it/3lp27abtcgc91.png

Superboons/Superbanes:

• Celica - Valentia's Hope: HP-, Atk-, Spd+, Res+
  • Est - Sweet Baby Sis: HP+, Atk+, Spd+
  • Kamui: Spd+
  • Atlas: Atk-, Def+ (Trainee modifier)
  • Brigand Boss: Atk+, Res+
  • Ymir: HP-, Atk+, Spd+

By the way, about the Forging Bonds... does anyone else feel like Balthus and Hilda have been in a good few lately? Always the same joke too...

Edited by Xenomata

Man Celica's design is so uninspired. Though they've already used her basic design, her overclass and her classic design. And unfortunately they never bothered to give a proper design to the princess class. Still though I think they could have done something other than a basic palette swap. Her Awakening design is still up for grabs, though giving her young appearance it doesn't really fit the idea of Ascended. Still would have liked that as it would have set a precedent for Dread Fighter Alm (or Sowrdmaster Seliph).

And come on, it's not like THIS deisgn wouldn't sell for Heroes typical advertising technique.

XI- Cartoon Cg artwork

Edited by Jotari

My interest in SOV banners have really fallen off a cliff recently. They seem to have so little faith in the cast that there always must be a Archenean tourist and or OC to accompany the banner. So thats two spots that I don't really associate with SOV.  Resplendent Celica really wasn't needed either. I'm mean with how little resplendents mean they could have picked literally anyone else, but they decided to play it really safe.

Which leaves the two actually new SOV characters with the table scraps. 

Well more orbs saved for the pirate banner I guess.

What in the goddamn is Ymir's Atk stat!? Her offensive power is what Múspell should've had, what with that Auto Follow-Up.

In fact, this almost makes Múspell obsolete if not for Domain of Flame. 

2 hours ago, Sasori said:

They seem to have so little faith in the cast that there always must be a Archenean tourist and or OC to accompany the banner.

Est has every right to be on an Echoes banner because she's an Echoes character. Given how few Echoes characters are left, she's bound to eventually be on a banner.

31 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

What in the goddamn is Ymir's Atk stat!? Her offensive power is what Múspell should've had, what with that Auto Follow-Up.

In fact, this almost makes Múspell obsolete if not for Domain of Flame. 

Not particularly special? All of the cavalry dragons have Atk stats in that range, and she's still offensively inferior to Legendary Xander, who was just released.

2 hours ago, Sasori said:

My interest in SOV banners have really fallen off a cliff recently. They seem to have so little faith in the cast that there always must be a Archenean tourist and or OC to accompany the banner. So thats two spots that I don't really associate with SOV.  Resplendent Celica really wasn't needed either. I'm mean with how little resplendents mean they could have picked literally anyone else, but they decided to play it really safe.

Which leaves the two actually new SOV characters with the table scraps. 

Well more orbs saved for the pirate banner I guess.

I feel like you are letting the fact that you and me are in the 1% of the FEH playerbase who is passionate enough to post on a dedicated website blind you to some factors that should be taken into considerations and would explain why the Valentian Whitewings and Zeke were released in Heroes.

You are one of the few who have enough knowledge about Archanea to associate the Whitewings and Camus with it in their mind, but if we take into consideration WHEN the Fire Emblem fandom exploded there is a realization to be made.

The 4 Archanea games were released before FE exploded with Awakening with the exception of the re-release of FE 1 for Switch that was a limited time offer for some dumb reason.

The second Valentia game was released after Awakening and even with Heroes itself doing advertising for it. Which means it's likely the majority of FEH's playerbase associates Palla, Catria, Est and Camus more with Valentia than Archanea.

And even if it isn't the majority, even if it's just 50/50 it doesn't mean that the 50% who wants the versions they are familiar with to be added in the game are in the wrong.

Fates sold more than Awakening, which means it's possible that more people are familiar with Laslow and Selena than they are with Inigo and Severa. Doesn't mean that people that want Inigo and Severa to get in the next Awakening banner over NEW characters like Laurent and Gregor are in the wrong, they just have a different preference.

Obviously the fans of the Whitewings who only played Echoes already had content for their faves and they can't act like they were starving (Zeke's fans have more room to talk since they are likely to be also fans of Tatiana and that's another can of worms) but they obviously can be happy for the new versions whose existence is very justified if you take everything in consideration. Just as much as Kid Sothe and young Bartre are justified and should happen IMHO.

But I agree with you that they clearly don't have faith in SoV characters selling at all, not even Est, since they felt the need to include and OC and a Celica alt.

Edited by GrandeRampel

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Est has every right to be on an Echoes banner because she's an Echoes character. Given how few Echoes characters are left, she's bound to eventually be on a banner.

True she is a Echoes character and yeah she is every right to be on a echoes banner, but I still would have prefered it if there wasn't pretty much always a whitewing that takes the top SOV spot. Especially when the other Premium spot also tends to go to a OC. Even one of their only two harmonic heroes went to a whitewing.

Like I get that they are fully fledged Echoes characters, but to me they are Archenea characters first. So I personally would rather not see them in Echoes banners and especially not echoes seasonals.

1 hour ago, GrandeRampel said:

I feel like you are letting the fact that you and me are in the 1% of the FEH playerbase who is passionate enough to post on a dedicated website blind you to some factors that should be taken into considerations and would explain why the Valentian Whitewings and Zeke were released in Heroes.

You are one of the few who have enough knowledge about Archanea to associate the Whitewings and Camus with it in their mind, but if we take into consideration WHEN the Fire Emblem fandom exploded there is a realization to be made.

The 4 Archanea games were released before FE exploded with Awakening with the exception of the re-release of FE 1 for Switch that was a limited time offer for some dumb reason.

The second Valentia game was released after Awakening and even with Heroes itself doing advertising for it. Which means it's likely the majority of FEH's playerbase associates Palla, Catria, Est and Camus more with Valentia than Archanea.

And even if it isn't the majority, even if it's just 50/50 it doesn't mean that the 50% who wants the versions they are familiar with to be added in the game are in the wrong.

Fates sold more than Awakening, which means it's possible that more people are familiar with Laslow and Selena than they are with Inigo and Severa. Doesn't mean that people that want Inigo and Severa to get in the next Awakening banner over NEW characters like Laurent and Gregor are in the wrong, they just have a different preference.

Obviously the fans of the Whitewings who only played Echoes already had content for their faves and they can't act like they were starving (Zeke's fans have more room to talk since they are likely to be also fans of Tatiana and that's another can of worms) but they obviously can be happy for the new versions whose existence is very justified if you take everything in consideration. Just as much as Kid Sothe and young Bartre are justified and should happen IMHO.

But I agree with you that they clearly don't have faith in SoV characters selling at all, not even Est, since they felt the need to include and OC and a Celica alt.

Don't get me wrong. I get the reasoning behind it and I don't disagree about it either. The whitewhings are popular units and they appeared as playable units, so it would be weird to leave them out. Especially so when the remaining character selection is a barren wasteland.

Still I don't like seeing whitewhings four times in Echoes related banners. Especially not since a lot of main echoes characters haven't really gotten much attention after their debut.

One thing they could have done for the Archanean Valentian characters would have been to release them all at once. There are four of them that can conveniently fit onto one banner. Though you would run into colour issues doing it that way as all of them canonically use spears. They did change Palla and/or Catria to swords, but even a blue, blue, red, red banner is a tad lacking in colour variety. Though if they'd used the Harrier/Dark Flier/Dark Pegasus they could have varied it up a bit more (sure Harriers only use fire and thus red magic in Shadows of Valentia, but the first game to make one of the white wings a flying mage was actually Awakening, which would have been a good in to use Celica's Gale, yes, that is a thing I still want, because it exists and we need more Brave Tome users not named Reinhardt).

They also wanted to release Zeke and Tatiana together, I guess. Which is understandable, but the way they did go about things meant the best healer in the series became a trash tier unit, which is just unacceptable. Better to split up the couple and let Tatiana be a wafiu that can sell a banner with the likes of Kamui and Jesse.

Edited by Jotari

Personally, I'm not really too upset about Est appearing on this banner. Like Zeke, Palla, and Catria, Est was bound to show up on a Valentia banner and she deserves it as much as they do. And I actually like Est as a character. I'm also not really upset about Celica herself, I expected the main lords to all get Ascended variants eventually, I'm just a bit disappointed that I now have to wait a year or longer to see Mani Katti Lyn, provided Heroes even lasts that long. Celica being here just kinda slapped that reality to my face.

The thing that actually upsets me about this character lineup is Brigand Boss. Every Valentia character on this banner is someone found on Celica's side of the journey...and then there's Brigand Boss, who's fought by Alm and company. Brigand Boss doesn't make sense with Celica, Est, Atlas, or Kamui. He's there for the sake of the meme. The GHB should have been either Jedah or Grieth, Jedah is a major missing antagonist associated primarily with Celica and Grieth is the one who kidnapped Est. Plus, Grieth actually has, ya know, a name.

Eh, okay banner. Est was expected I'm glad about Kamui and Atlas. Ymir is good too. Nooot sure how I feel about Lords getting Ascended variants. On one hand, it means another potential Micaiah, but on the other hand, it means another potential Micaiah.

35 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Just yeet him into your reserves after grinding out his HM and forget he ever existed.

Do people seriously do this? I know there's people that have gotten every character to 8,000 HM, but it's such a grindy process that I can't even fathom why would you "Just do it and get rid of them" for a character you don't even like.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Personally, I'm not really too upset about Est appearing on this banner. Like Zeke, Palla, and Catria, Est was bound to show up on a Valentia banner and she deserves it as much as they do. And I actually like Est as a character. I'm also not really upset about Celica herself, I expected the main lords to all get Ascended variants eventually, I'm just a bit disappointed that I now have to wait a year or longer to see Mani Katti Lyn, provided Heroes even lasts that long. Celica being here just kinda slapped that reality to my face.

The thing that actually upsets me about this character lineup is Brigand Boss. Every Valentia character on this banner is someone found on Celica's side of the journey...and then there's Brigand Boss, who's fought by Alm and company. Brigand Boss doesn't make sense with Celica, Est, Atlas, or Kamui. He's there for the sake of the meme. The GHB should have been either Jedah or Grieth, Jedah is a major missing antagonist associated primarily with Celica and Grieth is the one who kidnapped Est. Plus, Grieth actually has, ya know, a name.

Yeah, this was the perfect time if any to put Grieth in. And even if they were to depart from Celica's route, Rudolf is a big missing hole in the villains cast alongside Jeddah. Even Jeddah's daughters should really get in. The villain cast in Shadows of Valentia is quite woeful. It's basically just been Duma and Berkut. Slayde, Desaiz, Rudolf, Nuibaba, Jedah, Marla and Hestia are all characters that really should be in the game (I consider Grieth a borderline case, as he just kind of lacks presence despite how much of the game is taken up by him). They've put in almost every playable character in the game so far yet have ignored the villains almost completely. How are these characters going to get in the game? They can't all be GHB, there's only about three Shadows of Valentias banners left (four unused units, four Cipher units and give or take some alts and OCs). And they don't really fit into Legendary or Mythic status either. And they've shown no real inclination to make villains a regular part of normal banners. Best we can hope for at this stage is to see Jedah come as a Halloween seasonal.

And if we were going to get a super minor villain it should have been the Draco Zombie summoning Dolth.

Edited by Jotari

I can't really discribe how disappointed I am to see them run back so blazingly quick to the popular heroes now with this ascended hero type. So, now what, we gotta watch a handful of dozens of popular heroes/lords parade through one per month for years with only the hope that we could see some  of the forgotten hundreds who may very well never get an alt lol. Ridiculous. Well done IS. Whatever, it's your business anyways.

Glad for the Celica fans. She looks like she will be useful. NFU on C may help open up some new strategies i guess? Can't get behind her design though. It seems so off compared to her other alts.

Ymir has one of the best designs i have seen in the entire game ngl. This design feels like something they would never do. There is a lot to it and feels very expressive, like if they told the artist to literally do whatever they wanted to bring out character instead of following what feels to me is now a standard template in all designs we get. Hard to express what i mean, but it just really caught my eye. I instantly liked her honestly.

The others are sadly just more  characters fallen victim to this vicious cycle of printing/spitting out lazy, uninspired, and subpar units as nothing more than filler and fodder. You don't need to fill in every color IS, nor would it kill you to have a banner with less than 4 characters. Do us all a favor. Sorry if this all sounds ranty, i'm just tired and it's late for me atm lol.