What we know of Engage's mechanics so far.

DefyingFates

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, kienquocsi said:

Not much new information today

- There's a staff that can create ice pillar that blocks movement

- Bonet can use axe, so Great Knight is still able to use them

So is Great Knight a different tier then Paladin or are classes just different in stats?

I think, based on what I've seen, that it's almost more useful to think of units as individuals rather than classes. Traditional views on what classes wield which weapons don't seem to hold or even be consistent in this game, and the apparent lack of class changing helps those units stand out all the more.

And that's one of the few really positive things I have to say about what I've seen.

At least I hope there are still some rules about how classes work, like in Path of Radiance, Paladin can choose their secondary weapon upon leveling up, so they can use different weapons despite being in the same class. Giving them the same class but different gameplay just feels pointless, I guess. Just give them different classes at that point already.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:38 PM, Cysx said:

Afaik we still haven't seen a level 2, 5 or 9 bond(as well as everything above lv 10 that's not 16 or 20), but thus far if there's an universal progression system it's looking like something like this (this is tentative):

Level 1 : Stat boosts, 1st sync skill, 1st engage skill, engage attack, 1st engage weapon
Level 2-3 : 2nd sync skill, improved stat gains
Level 4 : Improved stat boosts
Level 5-6 : Improved stat boosts (only once?)
Level 7 : 3rd skill (if it exists?)
Level 8 : Improved stat boosts?
Level 9-10 : 2nd Engage weapon

The Korean website has a Bond Level 2 Marth with Alear. (In fact it also has Bond Level 1 and 3 Marth with buffs shown, https://www.nintendo.co.kr/news/view.php?no=VEd2b1hpTlhteVlhK21sNmdnWHlJdz09)

4266e7c9f554741756853fef8278f213.jpg

Unlike Corrin, Bond Level 8 Byleth with Clanne doesn't have a 3rd skill unlocked, and we do know that Emblem Byleth unlocks (at least) 5 skills.

twitter-byleth-b-016.jpg

Sad that the one footage with Bond Level 5 Celica has the skill list obscured.

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

4 hours ago, Aggro Incarnate said:

The Korean website has a Bond Level 2 Marth with Alear. (In fact it also has Bond Level 1 and 3 Marth with buffs shown, https://www.nintendo.co.kr/news/view.php?no=VEd2b1hpTlhteVlhK21sNmdnWHlJdz09)

4266e7c9f554741756853fef8278f213.jpg

Unlike Corrin, Bond Level 8 Byleth with Clanne doesn't have a 3rd skill unlocked, and we do know that Emblem Byleth unlocks (at least) 5 skills.

twitter-byleth-b-016.jpg

Sad that the one footage with Bond Level 5 Celica has the skill list obscured.

Appreciate it, that's very helpful:) Man, I completely forgot about the Korean article.

No universal pattern though as you've just shown, so this only gives us Marth... which is better than nothing.

I do have to say that level 5 Celica is a bit less interesting to me with no pattern to decipher. This does show that I need more time in the lab yet though; there's also a level 14 Celica I completely glossed over somehow, without Ragnarok unlocked, though you're probably aware. So back to the lab I go.

Twitter has some early mechanics tweets today:

- Backup style allies in range Chain Attack when you attack an enemy

- Covert double terrain bonus (holy!) (EDIT: and if i understand correctly, penalty too I was wrong, the tweet only says double positive terrain bonus)

Edited by kienquocsi

1 hour ago, kienquocsi said:

- Covert double terrain bonus (holy!) (EDIT: and if i understand correctly, penalty too)

Ooh, very interesting! Thank you! Lyn's info just got posted too!

Lyn information first:

• Sync skill: Desperation - doubles before the enemy can counter attack if ally's speed is "significantly greater" (don't know if that's the new requirement, or just IS's way of saying "more than 4/5 speed") (doesn't need to be on low health now)
  • Engage Weapon: Killer Bow
  • Engage Skill: Call Doubles, summons 4 doubles around the user. They apparently have the user's defenses, but only 1HP. They use Mani Katti, and can Chain Attack with the user anywhere
  • Engage Attack: Astra Storm - Bow only. 5 attacks at 30% damage with 10 range. Covert get bonus 10 more range. Interestingly, looks like it cannot crit

And some of my observations:

Spoiler

image.png.0f1894e293c890425e5c935e61eec05a.png

- Kagetsu's skill, apparently: Dazzling? (if anyone has a better translation, please tell me)

Spoiler

image.png

- A new type of enemy: Golden Corrupted

Spoiler

image.png.840ae5473fb8681e99c0ae7a62be02b2.png

- New weapon: Brionac

Spoiler

image.png.d28581e922200b5d1dcb2fda2065ad7d.png

- Peshkatz the dagger

Spoiler

image.png.9111586d663e438245399bd6a7c95add.png

- Bolganone

Edited by kienquocsi

I think the Mani Katti is actually going to be her second Engage Weapon, going by comparison of the Double's Mani Katti and Merrin!Lyn's inventory from Engaging with Emblems:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

Additionally, Thief seems to be in a similar situation as Dancer where it's not capped at Lv 20. Does that mean there isn't going to be a 'typical' Assassin progression?

Spoiler

image.png

- Covert double terrain bonus (holy!) (EDIT: and if i understand correctly, penalty too)

I think the tweet specifically emphasised the bonuses (otherwise you'd get negative movement on quicksand, double damage from fire, etc. which would suck)

I'll be sad if there's no more Trickster class, I really like the mix of support and utility they brought. I guess they might want to emphasise thieves actually being utility and not just better Swordmasters like they were in Awakening though. 

4 hours ago, tipperthescales said:

I think the Mani Katti is actually going to be her second Engage Weapon, going by comparison of the Double's Mani Katti and Merrin!Lyn's inventory from Engaging with Emblems:

Oh, very interesting! Thank you very much! Heroes really turned her into a bow lord first, huh?

Additionally, Thief seems to be in a similar situation as Dancer where it's not capped at Lv 20. Does that mean there isn't going to be a 'typical' Assassin progression?

And thank you for this too!

5 hours ago, kienquocsi said:

Peshkatz the dagger

That's not an Engage weapon, is it? That's a shame...

6 hours ago, BravuraLevi said:

There's still hope for Baselard. The chances of Knifeciah are looking kind of slim though.

Now that we know DLC is a thing we might get Sothe

Roy has the Wyrmslayer
Eirika has a Rapier and it looks like you fight alongside Ephraim
138534430_Screenshot2022-12-0810_29_58PM.thumb.png.9d1a7e0e1bee10711508306371233b35.png

Edited by Mysterique Sign

I feel stupid. I was just asking myself "Why is Ephraim here when the UI say Eirika?" Then I realized it is because Eirika is engaging that only Ephraim is here. Does that mean both twin will be present when you Sync?

And I believe that's the only Engage Attack with an Emblem so far

5 hours ago, Mysterique Sign said:

Eirika has a Rapier

So Emblem weapons can repeat, interesting! I hadn't seen the English trailer, so thanks for this!

I caved and read some of the descriptions when I saw Eirika and Ephraim together on the main SF site but stopped myself reading ALL the new information. Anyone else feel like we saw too much?

But also, now that DLC is confirmed, I wonder who we'll see? I'm hoping for Elincia as a pseudo-Lord and naturally I'd love Lyon if we can also get villains.

Ephraim's also got a Wada-era design of Siegmund here.

Eirika got a redesign too, her sleeves cover her entire arms now.

Speaking of DLC, Tiki seems to be the "easy level up pack" that the 3DS era FEs got as Day 1 DLC. Not a fan of Day 1 DLC as a whole, to be honest.

1 minute ago, DefyingFates said:

Speaking of DLC, Tiki seems to be the "easy level up pack" that the 3DS era FEs got as Day 1 DLC. Not a fan of Day 1 DLC as a whole, to be honest.

Same but we have to keep in mind this game was done since early this year at the latest and was intended for a 2020 release so they had a lot of time to work on the DLC lol. Could've been included in the game but nintendo/int sys prolly said no

4 hours ago, Crubat said:

Same but we have to keep in mind this game was done since early this year at the latest and was intended for a 2020 release so they had a lot of time to work on the DLC lol. Could've been included in the game but nintendo/int sys prolly said no

And that's the worst part...

But to get back on topic, I guess my prediction in one of the other threads was right that Eirika/ Ephraim's Sync Skill would alternate between Solar and Lunar Brace. The 3H Lords seemed to switch at the end of each turn unless I'm mistaken. I thought that would be how the twins swapped (before I saw the confirmation that the twin switch was indeed real), but from the JP site it seemed like the swapping would be a manual choice a la Dragon Vein? I love it!

EDIT: Finally finished adding all of the Emblem Rings/ Bracelets' details! That was a lot and I kinda hate myself for caving and reading all of their information...

Edited by DefyingFates

- Roy - Emblem of Binding:

• Engage weapon: Lancereaver, Wyrmslayer
  • Sync Skill: "Endure", if unit has 30% or more HP, they will survive a lethal round of combat at 1HP
  • Engage skill: "Transcendence/Promotion", which temporarily gives 5 levels (6 for Dragon units?) and corresponding stat boosts (can go past level 20)
  • Engage attack: "Crimson Fire Lion Dance", attack 3 horizontal tiles in front and create flame in an 3x3 area that "hinders movement". Dragon units can attack 3 more horizontal tiles in front of the first ones

- Eirika & Ephraim - Emblem of the Sacred

• Can swap at will, doesn't seems to have different stat boost
  • Engage weapon: Rapier (Eirika seems like both twins have the same Engage weapons)
  • Sync Skill: Lunar Brace (Eirika) - deal more dmg the higher the enemy's def is, Solar Brace (Ephraim) - heals 30% damage dealt.
  • Second Sync Skill: Luna/Sol(?)
  • Engage Skill: "Sacred Twins", which combine Eirika's and Ephraim's Sync Skills together. For example, the first Sync Skill becomes "Sun-Moon Brace", which has both increased damage and healing capability. The second ones combined into "Blue Sky", with unknown effect at the moment
  • Engage Attack: "Twin Strike". Eirika version: Ephraim attacks with lance then user attacks with sword. Close range only. Can break sword and axe. Ephraim has effectiveness against Corrupted. Calvary style boosts Ephraim damage by 50%

- Leif - Emblem of Geneaology:

• Engage weapon: Killer Axe, Light Brand, an unknown lance
  • Sync Skill: "Vital Shifting" - reduced damage received when user has WTA
  • Engage skill: "Adaptation" - When being attacked, changes to weapon with WTA. When being attack from range, prioritize ranged weapon instead if possible.
  • Engage Attack: "Tetra Trick", attack 4 times with Light Brand, an unknown lance, Killer Axe then an unknown bow. Can break axe, sword and lance. Qi Adept units always Break regardless of enemy's weapon.

- Ike - Emblem of Radiance:

• Engage weapon: Hammer (Ike's Hammer is a heavy weapon that can trigger Smash, but forces user to attack last. Normal Hammer is not a heavy weapon btw)
  • Sync Skill: "Resolve" - increase Def and Res by 5 when HP falls below 75%
  • Engage skill: "Anchor", reduce avoid to 0 but receive half damage. Reduce 10% more (for a total of 60% damage reduced) for Dragon units.
  • Engage Attack: "Triumph(?) Aether" - increase Def by 5 (10 for Armored?), Res by 5 and user cannot counter attack that turn. At the start of next turn, release AoE attack to every enemies within 2 tiles and heal proportionally to damage dealt (heal 30% damage dealt, cap at 10 per attack?). Seems to be locked to Sword and Axe (at least not Lance)
  • image.png  Ike's third Sync Skill. Looks like Reposition to me.

- Micaiah - Emblem of Dawn:

• Engage weapon: Shine. After attacking, leaves a light ball at the target's spot that shines (heh!) a range of 5 tiles in fog of war maps. Effect weakens (-1 tile) every turn
  • Thanks to @Cysx for pointing out, Micaiah's Sync Skill seems to give user access to staff, regardless of class
    • EDIT: The speculation is correct, and Micaiah's Sync Skill's name is "Staff User"
  • Engage Skill: "Amplify", increase staff range (likely +5)
  • EDIT (thanks @Moondrag for pointing out): "Amplify" also increase the effect area of staff. For example, a healing staff which normally only targets 1 ally can now also heal other allies adjacent to the target
Spoiler

35.png

• Engage Attack: "Big Sacrifice", down user's HP to 1 and heal to max HP for all friendly units. Dragon units retain 30% HP after using

- Lucina - Emblem of Awakening

• Engage weapon: Noble Rapier
  • Sync skill:
    • "Dual Attack" - Allows user to participate in Chain Attack, regardless of battle style
    • "Dual Assist" - If an ally attacks an enemy in user's range (move range + attack range) and user has "Backup" style or has "Dual Attack" skill, they have 35% of making a Chain Attack
  • Engage skill: "Bond Shield" - by using the "Bond Shield" command, all adjacent allies have 80% chance of not receiving damage from one attack. "Qi Adept" battle style increase the chance to 100%
  • Engage attack: "All For One", all allies within 2 tiles Chain Attack with the user

DLC Emblems:

- Edelgard/Claude/Dimitri

• Engage Weapon: Aymr, Areadbhar, most likely Failnaught too (unrelated to who's on front, for example Claude still can still give Aymr)
  • Sync Skill: "Working Together" - Change to a random person at the start of each turn, "Gambit: Raging Flames" (Edelgard) (most likely Claude and Dimitri will have different skill referencing their special gambit), "Lineage" - 120% exp
  • Engage Skill: Combat Art (unknown what it does, but its effect persists through the battle, so most likely some kind of buff)
  • Engage Attack: "Continuous Flower-Moon-Wind Flash" (will most likely be localized to "*something* Three Houses") - attack 3 times with Axe, Lance then Bow

- Tiki

• Engage Weapon: Eternal Claw, Smash Tail, Ice Breath
  • Sync Skill: "Starsphere's Protection" - increase growth rate
  • Engage Skill: "Dragon Transformation" - does what it says. Seems like they can only use Tiki's weapon in dragon's form
  • Engage Attack: "Divine Dragon's Blessing" - grants one bonus HP bar to an ally

Others:

- You can only use Engage Attack once each Engage period

- Overworld map is back with skirmish pop-up, just like Awakening

Spoiler

image.png

- Weapons & Items:

Spoiler

image.png.f998117113b420c5cd7c3589ba6443d5.png 

• Stiletto (dagger)

image.png

• Poleaxe (the horse-effective axe)

image.png

• Kard (dagger)

image.png

• Wo Dao

image.png

• Killing Edge

image.png

• Warp: has 1-5 range

image.png

• Physic: has 1-5 range

image.png

• Levin Sword

image.png

• Stat boosters. From left to right, up to down: Angelic Robe, Energy Drop, Spirit Dust, Secret Book, Speedwing, Goddess Icon, Dragonshield, Talisman, Boots

image.png

• Horseslayer

image.png

• Killer Lance

image.png

• From up to down: Freeze, Silence, Icerock Obstruct(? maybe the one that create ice to block movement?), Vulnerary, Antidote (note: Antidote can heal for 15HP too), Pure Water, Torch
  • Tonics are back and all use the same sprite: image.png.c3727d04843597ecec312fe0423e9b30.png

image.png

• Vi Le Grantz? (I can't find any mythological name related to it. That's just how to read it phonetically)

- Information about the Somniel base in this post

- Continue here, since this post is too big to edit now

Edited by kienquocsi

3 minutes ago, kienquocsi said:

Ike could be called "Emblem of Radiance", since FE9's Japanese name is "Path of the Blue Flame"

It's confirmed to be Emblem of Radiance in the english page for engage

Oh hey, that's true! Eirika is Emblem of the Sacred, and Micaiah is Emblem of Dawn btw

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/fire-emblem-engage-switch/

1 hour ago, Crubat said:

It's confirmed to be Emblem of Radiance in the english page for engage

I didn't know that was up, thank you both! I noticed that the last Wave listed "Added class types" as a perk. I wonder if "type" is just the new name for what we used to know as Classes or if we're getting new styles. The existing ones already seem pretty robust though, so unless we get armored mages I don't see what they could add (we already have winged mages after all).

As for the Emblems, I like how the descriptions refer to their functions~

There are somethings I want to add:

And thank you for all of these! I thought Micaiah's weapon was something related to "Light" but wasn't sure.

The flame from his Engage Attack also hinders movement

Does it say it blocks movement altogether or is just another obstacle (since fire usually deals DOT in FE)?

EDIT: And added! Thanks again, everyone! Part of my Roy write-up didn't save earlier for some reason, so I had to write that back up too 😕

As always, please let me know what I missed! Leif intrigues me since he attacks with four different weapons in his Engage Attack but we've only seen Emblems with three equipment slots at any one time. Maybe his kit will be fully flexible a la Byleth?

Edited by DefyingFates

18 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Does it say it blocks movement altogether or is just another obstacle (since fire usually deals DOT in FE)?

It says "hinder movement", so I don't know if it block movement entirely, or just reduce movement, or something else