Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

Sorry if this has already been asked, but, how does everyone feel about the life stone/extra health bars?

I`m kinda mixed on them. On one hand, it helped bosses last longer, making them more of an actual threat.

On the other hand, I felt they hardly had an impact later in the game.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but, how does everyone feel about the life stone/extra health bars?

They're fairly necessary in this game especially later on; Rewarp is a strong tool already, and removing them would both make it even better and remove a lot of the strategy from the tactic since we wouldn't need multiple units to handle a boss. If you're not doing that then I can mostly agree that it doesn't change too much, but it does make bosses more interesting when you get there; the alternative would be to make them incredibly bulky, but then we'd be far more limited on what units would be able to damage them.

23 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

What are the best classes for Chloe and Pandreo, and is Amber worth using?

I like going Wyvern and Griffin Knight for Chloe, but she also works as a Martial Master if you like that sort of thing. She's pretty flexible though because of her growths; she works in a lot of other classes too. The only two classes I would consider for Pandreo are Sage and Mage Knight. Mage Knight is preferable because of the bump to speed, but Sage can work if you really need more staves.

Amber is not nearly as good as those two, but he can be worth using. You have to keep in mind that his speed isn't good and build around that. Halberdier, Lyn, speedwings, etc are ways of fixing his speed. I wouldn't bother with Lyn or speedwings personally. I tried Halberdier on my last playthrough and it worked out alright; working with the speed he has and making him a crit machine would probably work out a little better though. I'm not a big fan of the class after trying it out.

Edited by samthedigital

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks! If I choose the latter, should I keep her as a lancer or switch to swords?

Looking at weapons it seems that the Killer Lance is lighter than the Killing Edge, but the difference is marginal (the well and dlc weapons are pretty light too I think), but it depends on what weapons you want to use for your other characters and what stat boosters you invest in her, etc. Gut feeling says that with no investment swords will perform better because 1-2 range with Levin Sword is good, but I can't say for sure.

Edited by samthedigital

4 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks! If I choose the latter, should I keep her as a lancer or switch to swords?

Swords for sure. One of the big advantages Griffon gets over Wyvern is stronger magic damage, and Levin sword blows Flame lance out of the water. Griffin Chloe does get access to Brionac, but it's probably heavier than she has any business looking at. If you want to use Silver lances and spears as your primary weapons you're better off in wyvern most of the time.

What is the best way to farm for Gold? The main ones I'm using right now for my newest file are trying to use Anna and her skill, enemy skirmishes, and selling what I gain from purple spirits (Surge tomes in particular).

Are there any ways to get extra permanent statboosters like Speedwings and Secret Books, or are they only obtainable during specific story and sidequest chapters? For the purpose of this question, I'm not counting paid DLC.

9 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

I`m kinda mixed on them. On one hand, it helped bosses last longer, making them more of an actual threat.

I definitely prefer them over bosses on gates/thrones with heavy defense/evade. At least it doesn't leave you heavily restricted as to who you can damage the boss with.

19 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Huh. Now then, exactly where is the hidden item in Sigurd's paralogue? I get the feeling it's on the beach far east of his castle, but thus far I've got nothing.

From this link I found:

"As a nod to the original game, players who travel to the top right-most portion of the map and examine a tile next to a rock and the sea will find a hidden Goddess Icon they can collect."

Edited by Randoman

45 minutes ago, Randoman said:

Are there any ways to get extra permanent statboosters like Speedwings and Secret Books, or are they only obtainable during specific story and sidequest chapters? For the purpose of this question, I'm not counting paid DLC.

You can get them as 5 star rewards from the well, but the chance of getting them is pretty low.

11 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

I don't hate them, and they certainly make things more challenging, but I think I'd like a little more thrown in, if that makes sense. Standard RPGs can do things like play with the boss' resistances and attacks, and bring in reinforcements that don't just feel annoying. You whittle down a boss's HP with Fire spells because they're weak to that, after enough HP is depleted, they'll throw up a long-term resistance spell or just gain a resistance to Fire. Here, if you plan well enough, you can wipe out several if not all of the extra health bars with little-to-no resistance. 

I think I'd like it a little better if - and only on occasions - bosses had two extra health bars. After depleting the first (or second?) one, they retreat to a secondary area (on the same map) but their weapons and mooks and resistances change, so that you have to switch up your strategy. I don't want it to be like That One Griss Fight, but something else. A little mix between the Second Major Dungeon Boss in Persona 5 and the two battles against Walhart in Awakening. 

Imagine fighting boss that's a General with such high HP and Defense that you feel like you NEED to use Magic...only for said character to retreat during Phase 2, and his new placement is set in an Anti-Magic zone. Or something like that. 

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

I don't hate them, and they certainly make things more challenging, but I think I'd like a little more thrown in, if that makes sense. Standard RPGs can do things like play with the boss' resistances and attacks, and bring in reinforcements that don't just feel annoying. You whittle down a boss's HP with Fire spells because they're weak to that, after enough HP is depleted, they'll throw up a long-term resistance spell or just gain a resistance to Fire. Here, if you plan well enough, you can wipe out several if not all of the extra health bars with little-to-no resistance. 

I think I'd like it a little better if - and only on occasions - bosses had two extra health bars. After depleting the first (or second?) one, they retreat to a secondary area (on the same map) but their weapons and mooks and resistances change, so that you have to switch up your strategy. I don't want it to be like That One Griss Fight, but something else. A little mix between the Second Major Dungeon Boss in Persona 5 and the two battles against Walhart in Awakening. 

Imagine fighting boss that's a General with such high HP and Defense that you feel like you NEED to use Magic...only for said character to retreat during Phase 2, and his new placement is set in an Anti-Magic zone. Or something like that. 

Sounds like it could work, so long as the enemy isn`t made an absolute pain to fight in "round 2". 

So does anyone know if the luck tonic's item surge (30% chance to nullify damage) is guaranteed to proc on a follow up if it procs on the 1st attack? I fought 2 enemies with this bonus and it proc all 4 times. Both times where on an initial attack and the follow up.30% my rear...

Edited by ciphertul

4 hours ago, Ether said:

Swords for sure. One of the big advantages Griffon gets over Wyvern is stronger magic damage, and Levin sword blows Flame lance out of the water. Griffin Chloe does get access to Brionac, but it's probably heavier than she has any business looking at. If you want to use Silver lances and spears as your primary weapons you're better off in wyvern most of the time.

Perfect, thanks! I'm training other units right now, but I'll double back to Chloe and try Sword Griffin out for her 😄

What exactly are the enemy units in Micaiah's paralogue supposed to represent?  The Thief by her side is obvious, representing Sothe, but... then I look at everything else, and it's nothing like the enemy formation from the original chapter, as the original map had mostly laguz units, excepting Ike, Soren, and the other Mercenaries once the map dragged on long enough.

15 minutes ago, BloodRonin said:

You would think I would know this by now, but does the Chrom rally spectrum stack with instruct all from Byelth (on a dragon unit)?

I read it does.

Now then... is the best thing to do in Marth's paralogue just to open the door and blitz him? Because that's what I ultimately did. None of those chests looked like they were good enough to justify fighting my way through a boatload of heroes for.

Also, for the DLC. Which maps are the hardest, and why?

And has it been deduced which weapon type is the best overall in this game?

EDIT: Does Divine Speed only work if the weapon you're using can follow up? Because judging from what I went through in chapter 21, it looks like it.

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I read it does.

Now then... is the best thing to do in Marth's paralogue just to open the door and blitz him? Because that's what I ultimately did. None of those chests looked like they were good enough to justify fighting my way through a boatload of heroes for.

Also, for the DLC. Which maps are the hardest, and why?

And has it been deduced which weapon type is the best overall in this game?

Thank you so much.

I can help answer your questions.

"is the best thing to do in Marth's paralogue just to open the door and blitz him?"

Honestly, I just warp skipped and killed him. By the time you get Marth back, is the grind on all the enemies worth? Maybe. But I decided to save time.

"Also, for the DLC. Which maps are the hardest, and why?" That really depends on when you do them since they will scale with your overall units' strength. I personally found Camilla's to be annoying due to not having any flying units on the team I used at the time. But I also think Soren's overall is the hardest challenge on maddening due to the way the map works with the fire clouds and his massive magic range/magic staff reflect thing. 

"has it been deduced which weapon type is the best overall in this game?" For physical? Lance for sure. It has greater damage than sword with little to 0 drop in hit. But Levin sword is also super good.  I would say Daggers are top tier, but most people won't have more than 2 dagger units while you for sure will have more than 2 lance units. 

2 minutes ago, BloodRonin said:

"is the best thing to do in Marth's paralogue just to open the door and blitz him?"

Honestly, I just warp skipped and killed him. By the time you get Marth back, is the grind on all the enemies worth? Maybe. But I decided to save time.

Most of my units were capping levels, so I just thought "meh, I'm just gonna end this" myself.

4 minutes ago, BloodRonin said:

"Also, for the DLC. Which maps are the hardest, and why?" That really depends on when you do them since they will scale with your overall units' strength. I personally found Camilla's to be annoying due to not having any flying units on the team I used at the time. But I also think Soren's overall is the hardest challenge on maddening due to the way the map works with the fire clouds and his massive magic range/magic staff reflect thing. 

I meant the Fell Xenologue specifically. Sorry for not making it clear.

17 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I meant the Fell Xenologue specifically

Oh apologies. Map 5 is very challenging and I would say the Brodia map is also challenging. On Maddening I wanted to rip my hair out so many times. It was def a challenge even on hard when I did it on my other file. (normal is way too easy though)

1 minute ago, BloodRonin said:

Oh apologies. Map 5 is very challenging and I would say the Brodia map is also challenging. On Maddening I wanted to rip my hair out so many times. It was def a challenge even on hard when I did it on my other file. (normal is way too easy though)

What goes on in those bad boys?

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

What goes on in those bad boys?

Spoiler

the brodia map is full of mage cannons and reinforcements everywhere. Trying to keep Nil alive is more challenging than it appears since he is so weak. It is just a headache. It really makes you think your positioning.  Chapter 5 goes into spoiler territory for the story, but without spoiling that, you have to go through a maze of enemies while keeping 2 other split allies alive from ranged healing, ALL while also getting there in time before the big boy reinforcements come in. I enjoyed the challenge but also wanted to scream at my tv all at the same time. Chapter 5, DO NOT pull the boss with any ranged attacks unless you know for sure you can kill him that turn. Too many reinforcements come to ruin your day. 

23 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

What exactly are the enemy units in Micaiah's paralogue supposed to represent?  The Thief by her side is obvious, representing Sothe, but... then I look at everything else, and it's nothing like the enemy formation from the original chapter, as the original map had mostly laguz units, excepting Ike, Soren, and the other Mercenaries once the map dragged on long enough.

You mean the ones with revival stones? Pretty sure they represent the Dawn Brigade. You've got a Sniper (Leonardo), Warrior (Nolan), Hero (Edward, yeah he's a swordmaster in FE10 but his design is a bit more hero-ish and FE10 didn't have a Hero class), Swordmaster (Zihark), and Wyvern Knight (Jill).

If you mean the other enemies, they're just an assortment of human classes since this game doesn't have laguz.

35 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

You mean the ones with revival stones? Pretty sure they represent the Dawn Brigade. You've got a Sniper (Leonardo), Warrior (Nolan), Hero (Edward, yeah he's a swordmaster in FE10 but his design is a bit more hero-ish and FE10 didn't have a Hero class), Swordmaster (Zihark), and Wyvern Knight (Jill).

If you mean the other enemies, they're just an assortment of human classes since this game doesn't have laguz.

I was more thinking of everything else, largely because the other maps generally did their best to replicate the enemy lineup of the original maps (Celica's excepted, as it originally had Necrodragons and nothing else).; heck, even if it's meant to represent the Daein NPCs she has at her command in said chapter, it still doesn't add up. Also, the High Priest must be Laura.

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I was more thinking of everything else, largely because the other maps generally did their best to replicate the enemy lineup of the original maps

To be fair, that's just... plain not possible for Micaiah's paralogue. The enemies in the original map are entirely laguz until the final reinforcements, and there's nothing that feels remotely comparable in Engage. ... the closest would have been every single cat/tiger be a wolf knight I guess, with a few griffins to reflect the birds? But quite frankly I think this is a case where making the map more interesting with varied enemy designs was a good choice. Same with the renovations to Celica's paralogue.

4 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

To be fair, that's just... plain not possible for Micaiah's paralogue. The enemies in the original map are entirely laguz until the final reinforcements, and there's nothing that feels remotely comparable in Engage. ... the closest would have been every single cat/tiger be a wolf knight I guess, with a few griffins to reflect the birds? But quite frankly I think this is a case where making the map more interesting with varied enemy designs was a good choice. Same with the renovations to Celica's paralogue.

Fair enough; it wouldn't have been any fun, or challenge, if it was Celica and like one or two wyrms. On that note, I get the feeling the three summoners on the map in Celica's paralogue represent the three units you got that could summon units in that game, albeit with the sniper summons standing out as out of place.

EDIT: How nasty are the last maps' gimmicks? I don't need to worry about them killing my units, do I?

Edited by Shadow Mir