Fire Emblem Engage General Questions Thread

Azz

24 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Anyway, what's the consensus on effective weapons in this game? Because I think most of the ones that don't require engaging are pretty bad...

Armourslayer and I suppose Hammer are fine early but they don't keep up well unless you dump a lot of money into them, and I see no point to doing that outside of a challenge run when mages kill armours so well.

Anti-cavalry weapons... honestly kinda similar? I'm not a big fan either. In principle they're much closer to ORKO thresholds, though.

Bows are good at what they do of course, special shout-out to the Radiant Bow for having such crazy high power (especially with forging/engraves), even low-magic archers can one-shot fliers with one.

27 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Revanche has more might than a Killer Axe at full forge, but the cost is what makes me balk

You don't have to go all the way, of course, even at low forge levels it quickly surpasses the Killer Axe for might. That said, the Killer Axe has higher crit, so you'll have an easier time reaching 100 crit with the latter.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ether said:

Honestly, with the well giving abundant SP, I decided to inherit both Wrath and Vantage+ and have Roy be her main emblem.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, honestly, I found that even with Ike, Panette's ability to take hits as a Warrior was still suspect... on paper, it should not matter, but in practice, she's walking a really treacherous RNG tightrope where death results if the RNG goes against her.

If you're looking for consistency I would not suggest any emblem besides Ike. Hit+X does make the build consistent even against enemies with high avoid, and the Ike engage is a good alternative on the handful of occasions (probably only against select enemies in the last two paralogues) where her crit rate dips a few points shy of 100%.

Edited by samthedigital

Do the Mage Cannoneer's weapons (and dragonstones) count as Phys damage for Lunar Brace? I assume the Magic Blast isn't, but considering all the Blasts are put in the consumables "folder" I wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone here have any opinions about putting Hit+30 on Ivy? Thanks again!

Do you get anything specific out of beating the Xenologue DLC on Maddening? I've basically given up on Chapter 6, I feel like this chapter was designed with the idea of you letting characters die since the game specifically reminds you Casual is on and to go all out. If you're going to have 3 wyverns spawn on a crowder map with AOE spam and bosses everywhere at least make them not one-shot anything with less than 20 speed. The wyverns are probably the main thing making this borderline impossible.

Making the decision to either just stop caring about character deaths or switching to Hard/Easy

Edited by meltenvy

Just looking to confirm from folk who've had the chance to play around with enchanter, weapon surge buffs all weapons on-field of the same name, I'm assuming this includes forged or engraved versions as well, right? Hand Axe+1 is still "Hand Axe" as far as weapon surge is concerned, right?

29 minutes ago, Ether said:

Hand Axe+1 is still "Hand Axe" as far as weapon surge is concerned, right?

I think I've seen someone mention that this is how that works. Sorry for the vague answer, but I hope that makes it easier to theorycraft stuff until a more concrete source pitches in.

As for my question:

How are you all building your Fell Xenologue units? I'm having trouble deciding what to do with Madeline in particular. Her accuracy is so bad it's genuinely hilarious so I think she probably needs a new class and I don't know what that should be. Is she a good Mage Cannoneer, or should I opt for one of the Great Knight variants instead?

As always, thank you all in advance!

15 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I think I've seen someone mention that this is how that works. Sorry for the vague answer, but I hope that makes it easier to theorycraft stuff until a more concrete source pitches in.

As for my question:

How are you all building your Fell Xenologue units? I'm having trouble deciding what to do with Madeline in particular. Her accuracy is so bad it's genuinely hilarious so I think she probably needs a new class and I don't know what that should be. Is she a good Mage Cannoneer, or should I opt for one of the Great Knight variants instead?

As always, thank you all in advance!

I don't think Madeline would make a good cannon since her Dex is so low. My gut move with her is either Halberdier or Great Knight. Halb can bypass her low speed with pincer attack, while Great Knight keeps her def closer to it's General values while giving her more mobility. I think Hit+30(or DP+) is a great inherit on her to patch her hit up, while any slow tank loves Hector as a main emblem for more EP presence. Great Knight and Halb both get brave access for Madeline as well(Axe since she gets the innate boost in GK, or just lance in for Halb since base S}

14 minutes ago, Ether said:

I think Hit+30(or DP+) is a great inherit on her to patch her hit up

I'm assuming Hit +30 is better since her LCK is only 25 as a General and 30 as a Great Knight? Regardless, I think I'll follow your advice and make her a Great Knight, thank you very much! Would she do better with a sword or lance as her secondary weapon, or does it not matter?

P.S. The Hit skill brings to mind something I asked about a while back: Hit +30 is better for Ivy than any other accuracy/ Dex boosting skills, isn't it? Thanks again, Ether and everyone!

1 minute ago, DefyingFates said:

I'm assuming Hit +30 is better since her LCK is only 25 as a General and 30 as a Great Knight? Regardless, I think I'll follow your advice and make her a Great Knight, thank you very much! Would she do better with a sword or lance as her secondary weapon, or does it not matter?

P.S. The Hit skill brings to mind something I asked about a while back: Hit +30 is better for Ivy than any other accuracy/ Dex boosting skills, isn't it? Thanks again, Ether and everyone!

DP+ will have a 59% chance at base stats to turn any miss into a hit since it has it's own base proc rate, so which is better really depends on just how poor her hit rates end up being. If she's floating above 50 most of the time, then you get more out of just boosting her base hit rate with Hit+, whereas if she's swinging at really low percentages, DP+ floors her hit rate at ~60%. Hit+ will probably be more useful more often, but if you ever want her to take a cheeky swing at a wolf knight or swordmaster, you'll want to have DP+. And while well SP books make SP mostly a non-issue(esp since Madeline has 2k starting SP), DP+ is a much cheaper option, which is relevant if you wanted to, say, just inherit QR+ off of Hector and have her run Sigurd fulltime for mobility, etc. For her secondary weapon, she's gonna be getting her big hits off of Axes since they have high Mt and she can access A ranked ones, so I'd probably say sword secondary just for them being a higher accuracy option. 

As for Ivy, it's much the same idea. Hit+30 will generally patch her hit rates to an acceptable degree, but there will be some circumstances where DP+ giving her hit rates an effective floor will be useful. Given that she has access to status staves, this will apply to these as well.

3 minutes ago, Ether said:

Given that she has access to status staves, this will apply to these as well

I take it Hit +30 doesn't apply to staves? And to ask further about Ivy, she has a max luck stat of 17%: is DP+ still a good choice for her?

Just now, DefyingFates said:

I take it Hit +30 doesn't apply to staves? And to ask further about Ivy, she has a max luck stat of 17%: is DP+ still a good choice for her?

I'm not sure whether it does or not to be honest, but I've seen status staves go into pretty low hit rates, where DP+ starts feeling quite appealing as a fallback. Which is really how you should look at DP+. Take that 17 luck Ivy as an example, although she probably has trouble reaching that cap. If your Ivy attacks someone she has 1% hit on, a 17 Lck Ivy has a 67% chance of landing that hit with DP+. Hit+30 would make that a 31% hit, which you don't really go for unless consequences are dire, but the ability to make any wildly unlikely shot a success 2/3rds of the time is reasonably powerful if you find yourself in a bind. In my experience, hit+30 is better for Ivy just because while her hit rates are shaky, they aren't abysmal. Turning a 60 into a 90 is better than hitting 2/3rds of the 40s you would miss. DP+ being as cheap as it is really gives it an argument to be used even on low lck characters, just because 50% base proc rate is pretty solid.

21 minutes ago, Ether said:

I'm not sure whether it does or not to be honest, but I've seen status staves go into pretty low hit rates, where DP+ starts feeling quite appealing as a fallback. Which is really how you should look at DP+. Take that 17 luck Ivy as an example, although she probably has trouble reaching that cap. If your Ivy attacks someone she has 1% hit on, a 17 Lck Ivy has a 67% chance of landing that hit with DP+. Hit+30 would make that a 31% hit, which you don't really go for unless consequences are dire, but the ability to make any wildly unlikely shot a success 2/3rds of the time is reasonably powerful if you find yourself in a bind. In my experience, hit+30 is better for Ivy just because while her hit rates are shaky, they aren't abysmal. Turning a 60 into a 90 is better than hitting 2/3rds of the 40s you would miss. DP+ being as cheap as it is really gives it an argument to be used even on low lck characters, just because 50% base proc rate is pretty solid.

I see, thank you very much! I'll try DP+ first then and see how it performs on Ivy. Wish me LCK!

Edited by DefyingFates

19 minutes ago, BloodRonin said:

Has anyone beaten the game with dlc completed? Does it do anything?

The DLC characters are added to the "afterstory" sequence during the credits

Spoiler

complete with a new verse added to the music which I thought was really cool,

but nothing of actual mechanical merit is added. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

15 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

No, they all reuse the tracks of their Ring counterparts (except Veronica, who does get a new track).

Does Soren get the Radiance trial or Dawn trial theme?

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

2 hours ago, Ether said:

I'm not sure whether it does or not to be honest, but I've seen status staves go into pretty low hit rates, where DP+ starts feeling quite appealing as a fallback.

I can confirm that Hit+X does not apply to staves. There's also a resource to determine whether DP+ or Hit+X is better that I'll provide. There might be a better one too, but I haven't done any digging recently.

Desmos | Graphing Calculator

Do any of the Four Winds have dialogue for fighting Mauvier as an enemy? I know they have dialogue for their mirrors but can't find anything for the former, and my completed Xenologue file already has Mauvier so I can't test this unless I restart a new playthrough.

7 hours ago, samthedigital said:

I can confirm that Hit+X does not apply to staves. There's also a resource to determine whether DP+ or Hit+X is better that I'll provide. There might be a better one too, but I haven't done any digging recently.

Desmos | Graphing Calculator

Thanks! Which line is which?

8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Does Soren get the Radiance trial or Dawn trial theme?

Radiance. Thanks to Ike he's considered an FE9 rep.

1 hour ago, meltenvy said:

Do any of the Four Winds have dialogue for fighting Mauvier as an enemy? I know they have dialogue for their mirrors but can't find anything for the former, and my completed Xenologue file already has Mauvier so I can't test this unless I restart a new playthrough.

No, had both Madeline and Zelestia face him on chapter 17 (where you get Rosemary and Rosado/Eirika). 

10 hours ago, ciphertul said:

No, had both Madeline and Zelestia face him on chapter 17 (where you get Rosemary and Rosado/Eirika). 

I don't know if anyone's had the courage to complete the Xenologue before the Divine Paralogues, but do those change if you've completed the former? Thank you in advance!

P.S. This also applies to the introduction of the House Leaders' Bracelet.

Edited by DefyingFates