Pokemon Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire Thread - The Game's out, go get it!

Book of Ereshkigal

I discovered the reason for my musketeer problem: my system's calendar was off. Specifically, it was 23 hours behind. I had noticed that my days were rolling over an hour early (at 11 instead of midnight), but I thought it was just one hour ahead and not worth worrying about. Turns out it was the other way around. As for why it was like this, I vaguely remember trying to manipulate time on a game previously, and I guess I just made a mistake when resetting it somehow.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, does using the DexNav to look for the same species of Pokemon over and over also work like the Pokeradar from gen 4? That is to say, it also increases the likelihood of finding a shiny Pokemon? Or does this only work with fishing?

So, does using the DexNav to look for the same species of Pokemon over and over also work like the Pokeradar from gen 4? That is to say, it also increases the likelihood of finding a shiny Pokemon? Or does this only work with fishing?

Bold 1: Yes, yes it does.

For the shiny part: No, no it does not.

So it's not like the Pokeradar at all. That's pretty stupid. :/ The thing's useless to me then (I don't really need to catch any Pokemon for competitive use).

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, but the sole purpose of the Pokeradar was to increase your chance of finding shiny Pokemon. It didn't increase your chances of finding Pokemon with high IVs and such. So it's still a lot different. The only similarity is chaining Pokemon.

Yeah, and in the case of the radar, increasing the likelihood of finding shiny Pokemon was all chaining did.

nature/IVs

for that matter the dexnav gets you rare items (see: pelipper's lucky egg) that make the game a lot easier

DexNav also nets egg moves. For example, I caught a level 5 or so Taillow with Mirror Move. This stuff can be helpful for breeders/contest Pokemon, as well as people who want to battle.

Oh, and hidden abilities. Like Cloud Nine Swablus. They can be used as trade bait (maybe).

So it's not like the Pokeradar at all. That's pretty stupid. :/ The thing's useless to me then (I don't really need to catch any Pokemon for competitive use).

Chaining is what improves your chances of nabbing a shiny though?

The radar only let you chain, with a slightly favorable chance of getting a shiny after getting a chain high enough

The DexNav lets you not only chain, but also nearly guarantee egg moves, good IVs, and Hidden Abilities. Not only that, but you only need to see them enough times to get all of that going, instead of setting up chain after chain only to have them break because fuck you

So yes, they are very different

The Pokeradar sucks

To be honest, DexNav is much more practical and effective. I mean, if your sole purpose is getting shinies then get the items you need to do so. Else you might stick with chaining and just pray for a shiny. I mean, after rigging my Treecko I got a shiny unintentionally after lots of tries, so...

On another note, I've been progressing slowly on AS, I recall getting a Timid natured Latias with perfect IVs on Hp, SpA and SpD; Def and Sp are near the 24~29 IVs. Got the Mega thingy and equipped Manectite to Manectric, defeated the Aqua scrubs on the Weather Institute and went to Fortree. Also, I got HP and gave it to Sceptile because it figured to be Ice type which is really helpful against Winona's Gym. Got the Sceptilite and went back to every route to rematch some trainers and finish the Trick House. Later on, cleared Mt. Pyre and the route south of it and entered Lilycove.

Sceptile @Sceptilite:

~Grass Pledge

~Hidden Power

~Nature Power

~Detect

Manectric @Manectite:

~Discharge

~Volt Switch

~Swift

~Overheat

Gardevoir @Expert Belt:

~Calm Mind

~Pshychic

~Moonblast

~Shadow Ball

Scrubs like Linoone, Tropius and Wailmer are levelling up, I'm getting Wailord really soon since pokes are around Lv. 60 and the others are by Lvs 53~, 42~ and 38~.

Btw, when do the events at the Power Plant on Mauville occur, iirc they happened like before Fortree or something but I haven't gotten access to it.

Btw, when do the events at the Power Plant on Mauville occur, iirc they happened like before Fortree or something but I haven't gotten access to it.

It's either after the box legendary event or after Wallace. Stupidly late, probably only because of Thunderbolt and that TMs have infinite uses. They don't want you to have it mid-game I guess.

It's either after the box legendary event or after Wallace. Stupidly late, probably only because of Thunderbolt and that TMs have infinite uses. They don't want you to have it mid-game I guess.

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah, I did it on Sapphire really early to replace Gardevoir's Shock Wave with Thunderbolt; it'll be replacing Calm Mind and I'm waiting for Flamethrower too to replace Manectric's Overheat just for ingame. My guess is that Lilycove has a bunch of other TMs.

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah, I did it on Sapphire really early to replace Gardevoir's Shock Wave with Thunderbolt; it'll be replacing Calm Mind and I'm waiting for Flamethrower too to replace Manectric's Overheat just for ingame. My guess is that Lilycove has a bunch of other TMs.

Lilycove has the 110 power moves, yes. Thunderbolt is after the legendary plot (so you can bring it to Wallace) and Flamethrower is in Victory Road.

To be honest, DexNav is much more practical and effective. I mean, if your sole purpose is getting shinies then get the items you need to do so.

But the only item besides the Pokeradar that increased the chances of finding a shiny is the Shiny Charm. And as far as I've seen, it's not in ORAS.

I wanted to try using the DexNav for something since it looked really neat, it's a shame that it's useless (for me).

^ Complete the national dex for it, just like BW2 and XY~

So dexnav chaining doesn't work? Odd, I've heard of people (successfully) chaining for shinies with it. Confirmation bias, then?

I wanted a Pokeradar again because I liked trying to hunt for shiny Pokemon I really like. I used it to look for a shiny Shinx because Luxray was my favorite Pokemon then and I loved the black and gold scheme going on with the shiny form. Never succeeded though. I just wasn't good at chaining. My chains would break after 20 most of the time.

I wanted to see if I could hunt for more favorite shinies in ORAS. I was disappointed that there was no radar in gen 5 or XY...

I may or may not try to complete the National dex in AS. I'm still not finished in X. xP