Fire Emblem Three Houses Recommended Reading Tier List

Original Alear

UPDATE:

I know no one cares but

I am now alleging, as I suspect most here are already aware of, that books in this tier list helped inspire Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Not necessarily that this tier list did. But I'm paranoid so I think it did. It is obvious to me that there is a strong likelihood that some of the inspirations are just "parallels" but for me when I notice a connection it is vivid and so it's hard to dismiss it. I'm dumb.  I think even my "life" was drawn from.

-Black Company has been given its own tier and upgraded, in part because I read some of the series and in part because Integ recommended it raise entire tiers and he was 100% right and I think FE 3 Houses may have been inspired by it. Incidentally, Toadkiller Dog should have hated Croaker, because Croaker sounds like he must be a frog.
-I wanted to write a book once and I realized it was bad but I talked to Nightmarre about it and a couple other people and I think this game was one of a couple things I read that inspired it. No really I'm that self-centered.
-I have created a tier list (separate) for the books from the 3 Houses library (including abyss). It's haphazard but I've done my best to have some personal/internal reasoning behind it which no one in their right mind cares about.
-I have read more books but I have not done anything to add them to the list. I really recommend anything by CJ Cherryh except the Foreigner Universe (which is actually probably good I just can't really recommend it I haven't really read more than a little bit).
-I hope tiering Eragon so low didn't offend Rhea.
-Seteth doesn't even like reading books about knights and chivalry, but I still like him as a character.
-I wish I had read more about maps because the 3 Houses maps are pretty bad.

3 Houses Book Tier List:
-The Moon Book that Jeralt Eisner reads from at the start of each chapter during White Clouds (it's only the second best book I've ever read about moons though).
-Encyclopedia of Fodlan's Insects.
-Romance of the World's Perdition
-The History of Fodlan, Part I
-The Book of Seiros, Part II
-Burnt Remnants of a Report
-Letter to a Mysterious Noble
-The Feast of Decadence
-Mysteries of the Calendar, Vol. 2
-The Truth of the Heroes' Relics
-Register of Alliance Nobles
-Register of Empire Nobles Part I
-Register of Empire Nobles Part II
-Fragments of a Forgotten Memoir
-Words of Love
-Register of Kingdom Nobles
-The Book of Seiros, Part V
-The History of Fodlan, Part 2
-An Antiquated Note
-The Book of Seiros, Part I
-Traveler's Journal, Issue 1
-Traveler's Journal, Issue 2

Anyway:

Tangerine said to make a tier list about what I love so here goes:
(This is incomplete, I'm missing a lot...)
The Malazan series is just about the only series I fragmented, it's a personal choice. Oh, I also broke up The Judging Eye from The Darkness that Comes before (trilogy) because The Judging Eye is just that much better. I haven't read the next book in the series, so I didn't grade Aspect Emperor as a series as a whole, it's unfinished anyway.

UPDATE: This is still a pretty haphazard tier list, but I wanted to add The Book of Gold that is mine (IMO). The telltale signs were that I was browsing a used bookstore and found Asylum and (at the time) was genuinely interested in this sort of abstract text about something that would affect me later in life. "The cover caught my eye."
It likely draws largely from the Panopticon. Why am I bothering to tell you this?

The idea of the book of gold is of course from the book of the new sun.

I also noted that the tears from Mhoram's victory weren't that intense (my memory has gotten a bit more responsible recently).

Game of Thrones moved up several tiers into the "tier of its own" levels because now a lot of people know about it and tell me about it.

Finally, I'm fairly sure my reading has nearly stopped since posting this tier list. Such is life (?). I'm thinking about picking up "Strangers and Brothers" though.

The Book of Gold:

Asylum (unfinished)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asylums_%28book%29

So Many Feels:
Lord Mhoram's Victory in The Power That Preserves by Stephen R Donaldson (included in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever)
A Dance With Dragons

The Book of the New Sun:
The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

Failed Xenocide I hope
Urth of the New Sun

Needed to Rise Entire Tiers:
The Black Company by Glen Cook

Pretty popular denial:
Barbarians at the Gate by Brian Burrough and John Heylar

Game of Thrones

Stuff:

The Demon Princes by Jack Vance
The Gap Series by Stephen R Donaldson
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever AND Gilden Fire by Stephen R Donaldson
The Worm Ouroboros by ER Eddison
The Collected Fictions of Jorge Luis Borges
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Kokoro by Natsumi Soseki
I am a Cat by Natsumi Soseki
The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
Berserk by Kentaro Miura

Stuff:
Das Boot Ripoff
A Passage at Arms by Glen Cook

STUFF tier continued:

A Requiem for Homo Sapiens by David Zindell
Black Boy by Richard Wright
The Odyssey by Homer
The Iliad by Homer
Earthsea by Ursula K Leguin
Cane by Jean Toomer (unfinished)
Romance of Three Kingdoms (attributed to Luo Guanzhong)
The Judging Eye by R Scott Bakker
The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R Donaldson
Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
The Alastor series by Jack Vance
My collection of William Butler Yeats poetry (who wrote that? I wonder?)
My collection of Edna St Vincent Millay Poetry

THEY KILLED DR CRANE AND IOLAR!!!
The Book of the Long Sun by Gene Wolfe

Fantastic Sides (Pieman):
The Malazan Series: Deadhouse Gates (#2) to The Bonehunters (#6)

Other tiers:

Super:
Water Margin (attributed to Luo Guanzhong, pissing and farting)

The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money by John Maynard Keynes
Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (unfinished)
Reave the Just and Other Tales by Stephen R Donaldson
Maus by Art Spiegelman
Watchmen by Alan Moore, David Gibbons and John Higgins
Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe
Araminta Station, Ecce and Old Earth, and Throy by Jack Vance
Dream of the Red Chamber by Cao Xuequin (unfinished)
John Wilmot, Early of Rochester: Selected Works
The Fairie Queene by Edmund Spenser
The Malazan series: Reaper's Gale (#7)

The Crippled God (Malazan #10)

Malazan; Toll the Hounds (#8)
Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce
The Alanna series by Tamora Pierce
Protector of the Small by Tamora Pierce
The Outsider by Richard Wright
Native Son by Richard Wright
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Wolfe
Bazil Broketail series by Christopher Rowley
The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever
Production of Commodities by Means of Commodities by Pierro Sraffa
The Lord of the Rings series by JRR Tolkien

Pretty Good

The Collected Works of David Ricardo
Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian Cameron Esselmont (Malazan Universe)
The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
The Darkness That Comes Before by R Scott Bakker
The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
Capital by Marx
Infectious Greed by Frank Partnoy
The Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddison
Koko be Good by Jen Wang
The Wizard Knight series by Gene Wolfe
The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima
The Island of Dr Death and Other Stories and Other Stories (short stories) by Gene Wolfe (if I divided this up into individual stories, some would score significantly higher)
Mordan't Need by Stephen R Donaldson (unfinished)
Strawman the DucksawDucky by Strawman the DucksawDucky
7 Interviews with Jorge Luis Borges with Fernando Sorrentino, translated by Clark M Zlotchew
Dread Empire by Glen Cook
The Belgaraid by David Eddings
The Mallorean by David Eddings

Above OK

I don't really remember enough to grade so these are hypothetically above OK:
Daughter of Regals by Stephen R Donaldson (besides Gilden Fire)
Peace by Gene Wolfe
Starwater Strains by Gene Wolfe (I have a good feeling about this one - it probably deserves a high place)
There Are Doors by Gene Wolfe
Castle of Days by Gene Wolfe? Some other Gene Wolfe short story collection...
The Peace War by Vernor Vinge
Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Wolfe
Inner Eclipse by Richard Paul Russo
Gardens of the Moon by Stephen Erikson (#1 in Malazan series)
Night of Knives by Ian Cameron Esselmont (Malazan universe)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

OK:

Planet of Adventure books by Jack Vance (includes Servants of the WANKH) (unfinished)
Various Jim Butcher books
Paul Volcker: the Making of a Financial Legend
Buddha's Brain by Rick Hanson

Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book #9)

Denial:
Principles of Population by Thomas Malthus

Nostalgia tier:

Prydain (series) esp. "Taran Wanderer"
Redwall by Brian Jacques
Castaways of the Flying Dutchman by Brian Jacques
Horatio Hornblower by CS Forester (unfinished)
Magic Kingdom for Sale - SOLD! by Terry Brooks

Overrated tier:
The Shannara series by Terry Brooks
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

Tolkien Ripoff:
The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks

Ripoff Ripoff:
Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Edited by Original Johan Liebert

No, it doesn't. I also haven't read the whole thing.

And don't try telling me the Dread Empire series is superb *adds it to pretty good*

No idea what the latter is.

Black Company could at least leapfrog the Magic Kingdom for Sale series. At least.

No idea what the latter is.

Black Company could at least leapfrog the Magic Kingdom for Sale series. At least.

There's a good point in there somewhere, so I listened - even though this is my preferences and not yours, it's true that Magic Kingdom was a neat idea without many great moments and Black Company had some cool stuff happen. I'm actually moving Magic Kingdom to nostalgia.

As you can tell from my name I happen to like the Inheritance books =3

But whatever.

I would have trouble making one of these because the books I mainly read are from the same author and I really love her books and really hate them at the same time... I wouldn't know where to put them.

Stuff is missing.

Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies, most notably The Manticore which won the Governer General Award in 1973. And the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, most notably The Eyre Affair.

I can accept Redwall in Nostalgia but Watchmen and The Joy Luck Club are too high. And Homer's stuff is too low. Iliad was the shit.

Edited by Kefka

No The very hungry caterpillar, that was pretty much the children's book to read when I was growing up, lots of nostalgia there I find.

I can't add much more because most of the good books I've read recently have been non-fiction so as much as I liked Fermat's Last Theorem I can see it isn't for everybody.

Edited by Mikethfc

Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies, most notably The Manticore which won the Governer General Award in 1973. And the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, most notably The Eyre Affair.

Whatever, this is about books I have actually read. Make your own list and I'll read it. But ya, stuff that I have read is missing too. I may add some more later.

No The very hungry caterpillar, that was pretty much the children's book to read when I was growing up, lots of nostalgia there I find.

I can't add much more because most of the good books I've read recently have been non-fiction so as much as I liked Fermat's Last Theorem I can see it isn't for everybody.

I would add Arcadia, which includes references to Fermat's Last Theorem, but I only saw the play, never read it, so I don't think that counts...

I'm not adding books that I don't remember anything of to nostalgia such as Very Hungry Caterpillar, those go in I don't remember tier.

• 1 year later...

It likely draws largely from the Panopticon. Why am I bothering to tell you this?

Bentham or Foucault's Panopticon? Because it predates Discipline and Punish by about 15 years, so it couldn't have drawn on that, but it is roughly synchronous with Madness and Civilization, so it is clear that they were thinking and working on the same things at the same time. Err... not to be pedantic or anything. Also: no China Mieville or New Weird? That's a serious gap in the oeuvre of modern SF, my friend. Even some good Kelly Link short stories could help. I'm afraid I just can't take this seriously until it adress the New Weird.
Edited by Le Communard

Why does the nostalgia tier lack the Prydain Chronicles?

Cuz I should tier them way higher (Gurgi), but yes, I read those.

Also: no China Mieville or New Weird? That's a serious gap in the oeuvre of modern SF, my friend.

I read Perdido St. Station...

It was definitely good in the same way I liked Revelation Space - I wasn't really able to get too much into the characters (I guess I need more hesitant types to really enjoy myself), but I liked what was going on and sort of felt like they harnessed my imagination in an interesting way. And IIRC it had a fairly depressing ending. I usually like those.