Shattered Honour : Chapter 2B

Parrhesia

For the first couple days, it seemed as though all was going well. While the occasional Ryslander patrol was sighted along the main road, they were easily avoided. More than once they even seemed to hear you, a distant cracking in the woodlands, but seemed too apathetic to chase a chance. After all, what could it gain them? It seems as though Rysland's morale is almost as low as that of Castria.

But closer to your objective, the patrols start becoming more alert and more numerous, with manned watchtowers dotting the landscape. They may not be ready for a full invasion, but it's a tough knot to slip through.

Finally, after narrowly evading a wary patrol through passing into a forest, you are spotted. You have no choice but to break into the nearest forest and try to evade pursuit, as Ryslander soldiers flank and close in on you from all sides. You realise that you are trapped. There are watchtowers to the north, and soldiers cutting off your escape. It's twilight, and the torches on the towers and held by some of the warriors make their presence all too clear.

You're probably safe for now, but it's only a matter of time until you're spotted. You know blood is going to be shed if you can't talk, trick or bribe your way out of this. It is your move, and they are playing for keeps.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delves sighed. He had fallen for it, and now he was stuck here with the rest of the idiots. As far as the thief was concerned, there were three options. One, sneak into the city, do the job as he had described it and steal the supplies for himself leaving the group to deal with the soldiers. Two, he could silently enter the city by himself and disguise himself as a simple merchant, gathering stuff for himself that way. Third, he could simply ditch the group now. Maybe even alert the soldiers to the group's position. After all, he had no contract, no obligation to them. They would have done the same for him.

Either way, he would be cutting his ties to the ragtag band sooner or later.

The journey had allowed her vision to return. Selina looked around. Her comrades were nervous. She unconsciously felt for her supplies. None of the herbs she had were poisonous.

These guys seem very unsure of themselves. If they're captured, I'll see if I can talk my way into a healer's job at the nearest base. My goal is to survive, and to employ any means necessary to make sure that I do.

Oh gosh, oh gosh, we're screwed...

Hazel was starting to panic. There was certainly no way out of this, no way back home. What could she do? If she wasn't killed, she'd be captured, and then, perhaps execution.

Regina... help me...

This wasn't quite how Diray expected it. There were far more patrols than he expected. The problem was what to do next. It would be very tempting to betray the camp, he was sure their location would be worth something. There was also the option of leaving a sacrifice, but none of the team, save Rine and maybe Hazel, would be tricked into that role. He looked over at Delves, he was sure that the same thoughts were going through his head.

"Hm... this is rather unfortunate. I don't know about the rest of you, but this supply run has lost its appeal. Perhaps it would be in our best interests to abandon it and escape. If we can't, I'm always sure that they would pay quite a price for the location of the camp and the other group's plans."

Escape or betrayal? It was a difficult decision.

"We aren't betraying anyone again, got that? Honestly, I can't believe the plan was to let you Petrarchan swine run away on your own. Someone has to keep you from selling us out. First person to do anything funny gets an axe in their cowardly back, you hear?" Marsali yelled at the first person to speak up. She glared at the others carefully, before glancing around at their surroundings again.

I'll have to think of some way to get through this stinking place. None of these pansies are going to come up with a tolerable solution.

"Do you enjoy insulting us like that?"

Hazel didn't agree with the betrayal, but at least the idea of running sounded good to her. Yet, this woman, throwing out such an insult... It was too much. She'd also get called out for it, probably worse, but such an insult couldn't go unchecked.

"Did a Petrarchan ever do anything to do, for us to deserve this hate? Who ever said WE would take everything and run? The betrayal thing is stupid, but... just..."

She didn't dare say any more, in order not to alert the Rysland soldiers, if they didn't already know their hiding place.

Marsali was making her self less... desirable with each passing sentence.

"Now, now, I much prefer the idea of surviving than being captured. You may hold the pride of your nation close to heart, but we Petrachan aren't particularly affiliated with either side."

He looked over at Hazel, she seemed against the plan as well, or at least the betrayal part. Diray would have to make a few changes in order to keep the majority on his side. Delves seemed awfully quiet, treachery was probably on his mind too.

"Don't worry, Hazel. If you don't want to sell out the others, that's fine. If it comes to it, we'll reveal as little as possible. Right now, we're surrounded and severely out-manned, fighting them head on would be suicide."

Now, if they did have to fight, they'd need a sufficient bottleneck, which would be impossible to find in a forest, whilst surrounded.

"We aren't betraying anyone again... ...their cowardly back, you hear?"

Delves had to keep from laughing aloud. "And what, dear lady, would you do were I to stick this knife in your ever-so-chivalrous back right now?" The thief stood up, palming his dagger. "Now, now, don't look at me with such venom. If I really wanted you dead, I'd have sold you out before we ever made it to our miserable destination."

Rine tried to think over the best possible option to get out of this situation with everyone satisfied, but it was pretty much impossible. As if it wasn't hard getting out of this situation with an acceptable resolution, which is obviously "leaving alive". The fight between some members of the "group" annoyed him, for it was a foolish action, but they were apparently too selfish and ignorant to see. At least Diray was trying to reasonate with them.

"Even if we talk with them and lend them information about our base, there's no guarantee that we'll be alive. Have you never considered that they might kill all of us or at least some of us, then torture the remaining ones until they know enough? Now, don't answer me that the remaining ones of that worst possible case scenario is going to escape somehow. One of us suggested to kill all the guards, and now we know just how flawed that plan was".

Then he continued, before there could be any interruptions. "We need to think this over. Yes, -we-. If any of you want to betray us and find a miraculous way of escaping instead of working as a team, be my guest".

Delves couldn't suppress his laughter this time.

"You're assuming that we're all who we claim. It's a sad state of affairs, but let's face it- How exactly did we get backed into this corner? Obviously, someone had looser lips than is healthy."

The thief stuck his dagger back into its sheath, sticking the sheath to his belt.

"There's no other possibility. Someone here has sold us out. We've been forced into this; they seem to know our movements to an impossible degree." Delves could see the faces turning, eyes shifting. "It's inevitable. There's a traitor among us, or another kind of false friend."

"And before you point that blade at me," he continued, "what gain would come to me by revealing myself to you? If I were really an Rysland insider, it would be to my best interest to remain silent and watch the rest of you fail on your own."

"We can deal with 'traitors' later," Selina said, finally fed up with the bickering. "If we don't decide what we're gonna do, and FAST, we will be spotted. I say we find the weakest flank, and fight our way out."

Varon released a whimper of agreement to Selina's suggestion. The equipment he was currently cradling in his bag was absolutely useless for the current situation. The last thing the group wanted was a big fiery sign shouting WE'RE OVER HERE!

"If we don't decide what we're gonna do, and FAST, we will be spotted. I say we find the weakest flank, and fight our way out."

She was still intent on fighting her way out. Whilst Delves had to admit that some fighting might be necessary, charging in would do nothing. This one was trouble, the sooner he was free of her, the better. He would have to accommodate for it in his next plan.

"My my, this team is having a few... issues. Escape may be our best option. You, Varon. Your flammables may come in useful. If we start several small fires, we may be able to escape in the chaos. They couldn't possibly ignore a fire, one they may think of as a campfire?"

It was a dangerous plan, but Diray was confident in his abilities. He was probably swift enough to get away.

"Oh, Selina. If we come across anyone, you're quite welcome to hack at them with your axe. Perhaps you might even decide to stay and fend all of them off."

Hazel couldn't stand all the bickering, but starting a fire... that would be interesting. There, however, was one problem with it.

"They won't fall for a fire. They wouldn't think us as stupid as to actually start a campfire, for sure. Also, how could you think of leaving someone here to fend them off alone? That's... too cruel..."

Selina cocked an eyebrow at Diray. "A diversion might work, but I'm not going to leave the details of it to someone who can't tell the difference between a mace and an axe."

OOC: Mace? Duh!

"A diversion might work, but I'm not going to leave the details of it to someone who can't tell the difference between a mace and an axe."

She was right, he'd confused her with the other she-babarian.

"How amusing, you're entitled to bludgeon them to death with your mace. Regardless of whatever club you're holding, if there are no objections to the fire plan, I suggest we proceed. Staying put doesn't do us many favours."

Selina took the time to study the nearby plants. Some of the saplings might put up a decent amount of smoke. Her eyes were drawn to a shrub near one of the trees. By itself, it was harmless, but when burned, it put up quite a stink.

"I have an idea, but it's gonna suck for all of us. How well can you guys concentrate if the surrounding area smells like burning tar?"

"Mm. I was thinking about setting fires too. If we set it close to their positions, they'll surely be bothered enough by the smoke, heat and smell to pay much attention to us. With that, if we -work together-, we might cut through a flank and escape. But a fire will drag a lot of attention from the towers and the other guards, won't it? That's all that's bothering me..."

Rine puts his back agaisnt a tree and waits for a conclusion to be reached. He oftenly looked at the sides, fearing the guards' early appearance.

"I have an idea, but it's gonna suck for all of us. How well can you guys concentrate if the surrounding area smells like burning tar?"

It wouldn't be pleasant, but it might work. As long as they didn't inhale too much, their escape wouldn't be too impossible.

"I'd much prefer the stench of tar than that of my own blood. If you can pull it off, I might actually have to thank you later."

"O-okay. I can h-handle stenches if it h-helps us get out." Damn, he hadn't even said anything and suddenly everyone wanted him to set fire to everything. All he had to do was start a fire significant enough to be considered more important than they were without endangering the group with an uncontrollable blaze that couldn't be outrun. No pressure at all.

Hearing the other people bicker made Edgar feel uncomfortable. What if some of his comrades sold him out? What could he do? He was a poor fighter and would likely get killed in a direct encounter.

Then the mention of fire made him focus on other things. Fire, what had he been though about them in his training? It was an uncontrollable ally to a scout at best, and a terrible bane as they tend to limit escape routes or burn at such a pace that it was very hard to outrun in the woods, which they were currently in.

"Smoke, I can handle, raging fire I cannot," said Edgar wrapping his cloak around his nose and mouth in preparation. "Are we planning on forcing our way through some as a single unit with the smoke as cover or do we scatter in all directions? I'd prefer the former but, we'd need to pick a direction to run to in advance."

"Well, I'd suggest that we use the smoke to our advantage and fight our way out of the flank, but I doubt our group is that loyal. We'll have to do this on a harder way, unfortunately". Rine ignored the other question because he already gave his opinion, which had gone unnoticed.

"I'd like to stick together, since we're already outnumbered, and splitting up will mean we have to fight that many more people alone," Selina mumbled, "but if we do get separated, we should do our best to get to the city, and rendezvous there".

"If you have any objections, voice them now. We can't talk all day!"