Rate the Unit, Day 10: Volug

Sunwoo

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac).

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Leonardo: 2.531

Ilyana: 3.75

Aran: 4.926

Laura: 5.139

Edward: 6.316

Micaiah: 6.5

Nolan: 9.069

Sothe: 8.938

Taking over for PKL until he decides to pick this up again. Meg hasn't been tallied yet.

Volug, the vassal of Nailah and cant speak a word of English.

Pros:

Great bases.

Good base level.

Spammy.

Locked to beast form in part 1

Abs.

High move.

Earth affinity.

Cons:

Growths arent fantastic.

Res is ehhhhh...

Volug is spammy. He can double everything and basically rip part 1 into pieces. He doesnt get a lot of experience gain in part 1 though. (But it does help his strike level!) When you can take Wildheart off of him, hes a little bit better. Its funny to put Beastfoe and Resolve on him and watch him punch crap and get his level/gauge up. Hes pretty good in part 3 helping whomp laguz and junk. In part 4 though, hes not as awesome. Paragon does help him if you want him for an endgame choice. His growths arent super awesome though and his strength wains a little in part 4. His high speed means hes never getting doubled though. His res is a bit ehh so mages (especially fire mages) are something to look out for. Hes got high move so he can get to the murder faster. Overall, hes pretty handy to have around and certainly helps the DBs from getting destroyed. Plus hes got Earth affinity and we all know thats awesome.

8/10. 9/10 bias because BIG PUPPY and hes got dem abs.

Edited by Florina

You all forget these ratings assume Hard mode. As such...

Volug does not double consistently in part 1, but if he does, he's pretty good. He will almost never gain a level up in part 1, and his durability actually comes to question. Sure he gets 3-4 HKO'd, but being attacked from range is just bad. He has no counter for that. And you need to hog vulneraries. He's not durable like tigers, and not as fast as cats, but sorta in between. I guess he's ok in part 1, but Nolan, Zihark and Sothe beat this guy hands down.

Come Part 3 and Volug is doing better now. Well, statwise anyway. See, unfortunately now he has gauge issues, so he's not exactly out of the forest yet. Still, he's actually pretty clutch compared to his Part 1 chapters. I think only Nolan and a trained Edward/Zihark can match this guy's offense and durability.

Also, Part 4 Volug is still pretty good, although not important now. He can help here and there, but he will always suffer from gauge issues unless he eats that laguz gem in Final.

All in all Volug's pretty good, pretty cool for the Dawn Brigade, but not totally awesome.

7/10

Statwise. He doesn't need to be babied at all for the most part. Especially useful in the chapters of the blood pact that is if u sent Zihark and Jill into Ike's group. Which is what I almost always do to get them better trained for Part IV. Manditory to use in some Dawn Brigade chapters and has the godly earth affinity skill. Support him with Zihark and u have it made.

9.5/10

Edited by リンダ

I would give him 10/10 in nm but since its hm he's about an 9/10 with 1 bias point . He's an extremely good clutch character in 1 and 3 but falls behind in 4 without a steady diet of bexp which a lot of characters are starving for in hm. He has great bases though and with an ss in strike he can keep up with your other units all the way to endgame . Plus he has the fantastic earth affinity that Nolan or any of the very fragile members of the db would love so that's a point in his favor .

I wanna know what they do in Hatari. They got the best abbs and boobs around.

aaaanyways.

Volug joins when Nolan and Sothe stop being enough to do the maps 2-man only. He's beastly. Err derp. My brain is not really working right now. W/ever.

9/10

Very useful when he joins, first part chapters he tears stuff apart, his low defense due to half-shift does hold him back a bit for part 1. He's not gaining EXP in part 1, just increasing his strike rank which is pretty good for part 3 since he can reach S before it. Part 4 onward he's in the same boat most non-laguz kings are, they are worth it if you're willing to give them a statbooster since they make the best use out of it. Earth support is pretty good too.

9/10,

Edited by arvilino

The third angle of the Sothe/Nolan/Volug Triangle of DB Units Who Are Available And Don't Suck Balls. Critical in Part 1 and almost (but not totally) invincible, great in Part 3, and still arguably viable in Part 4, at least more than Sothe is. A large part of his Part 4 viability is whether he can get a Strike rank or two... usually pretty hard to make happen, but if anybody deserves to eat kills to get it, it's Volug. It actually helps him, so why not? He tanks shirtless, too, I mean what more do you want from a guy?

Oh, and his support owns bones. He loves Evade, everybody else loves Evade. It's a perfect situation for him.

9/10. If Sothe can score that, Volug surely can.

I think Smash's thoughts on the subject are the best on it.

This is basically a summary of his life in FE10, starting in 1-5.

Volug: Hai guyz, wuts goin on here?

Nolan: I'm a pretty cool guy. I figth and doesnt afraid of anything.

Aran: I'm pretty good at tanking.

Edward: Me too, except I do it with my pants off.

Leo: I'm so charming the enemies like attacking me. btw I have crappy offense and I die in 2 hits.

Micaiah: I get OHKO'd by everything. The stuff that can't double and kill me anyway.

Laura: Me too, except everything doubles me, in addition to OHKOing me.

Ilyana: I'd fight, but I'm too hungry. That and everything kills me in two hits.

Meg: I'm bottom tier lolololol

Sothe: I'm the only one who doesn't get my ass kicked if four guys gang up on me.

Volug: Sounds good. I have more att than Sothe, and about the same speed and def, but way more HP and move. btw, I have earth affinity too. brb, imma solo the map.

*proceeds to rape the face off of everything*

Volug: These enemies taste good.

Ilyana: Can I have some?

Volug: You have to get your own.

Ilyana: But I'm so hungry...

Then 1-6 rolls around...

Tauroneo: Hai I'm gonna solo this chapter with my trusty bronze lance.

Volug: That's cool, but you only exist for this chapter.

Tauroneo: What? Dammit!

Jill: Hey I'm Jill, why do you have over twice my base HP?

Zihark: I'm Zihark, our offense is about the same, but why are you stomping my durability and move?

Nolan: I'm still getting my ass kicked.

Aran: Me too.

Edward: I don't even wanna go near Volug. He might eat me.

Volug: That's not possible. I only eat enemies, and I can tell you're not an enemy because you're weaker than them.

And then 1-6-2....

Fiona: I'm going to rebel against the boss! I hope you guys can save me in time, because these guys kill me in two hits and I'm across the map!

Micaiah: She's so far away!

Leo: We wait for the day!

Nolan: Is there anyone who can save her in time?

Tauroneo: I'd go, but my mobility sucks ass.

Meg: We have to save her. After all, I'll finally have someone on the team worse than me!

Volug: Did someone just call my name? *runs off to save Fiona's dumb ass*

Jill: I'll come too!

Aran: What for? All you'll do is stay behind him.

Ilyana: Fooooood...

Begnion enemy: What's this? A laguz? Kill him!

Volug: lolnub *pwns*

Micaiah: Tauroneo! I have bad news!

Tauroneo: What?

Micaiah: I have a letter from Pelleas telling me that you can't participate until 3-12.

Tauroneo: Why?

Micaiah: It says it was from the word of God. And Volug's abs.

Tauroneo: That's impossible! My beard is just as manly as his abs!

Volug: Well, it's time for me to eat all the enemies.

???: NOT SO FAST, Volug!

*Tormod, Muarim, Vika join*

Tormod: You activated my trap card, LEA! This lets me bring along two laguz even better than you!

Volug: But we have no olivi grass.

Vika: What? Then how are we supposed to stay transformed?

Volug: Blame the guy who was in charge of your availability.

Muarim: Sorry to disappoint you Volug, but I'm still manly even when untransformed. I am equal in strength to Largo, who could pin two tigers with his bare hands.

Volug: Were they 3-6 hard mode tigers?

Muarim: Yes.

Volug: Hmm... That is pretty manly.

Aran: Yeah, and I'm manly too!

Volug: You need a personality first. And more stats.

*enemies start charging at them*

Enemy 1: Oh no! It's Volug AND Muarim!

Enemy 2: What do we do?

Volug: Bend over. *Volug and Muarim pwn them*

Then 1-8 rolls around...

Micaiah: Oh no! They have prisoners and they want us to go to the swamp!

Sothe: Obviously, let's go there completely unprepared.

Micaiah: No, we are fine. We have Volug.

Sothe: Oh yeah, you're right.

*DB walks to the swamp*

Tormod: IT'S A TRAP!

Jarod: Haha! Let's go and shove these prisoners into the swamp - OH ****! Is that Volug AND Nailah AND Muarim?

Zihark: Who's Nailah?

Nolan: You know Volug?

Zihark: Yeah.

Nolan: Now replace the abs with large breasts.

Zihark: Sweet.

Jarod: But I've come prepared! I hired some bandits! They have the same def as armors, spd as myrmidons, and str as fighters! See them and weep!

Aran: Crap! What're we gonna do?

Nolan: just leave them to the others. We'll charge at the boss because he's a mage, and enemy mages are always crap.

Zihark: Kinda like how all our mages are crap?

*meanwhile in other parts of the swamp*

Volug: These enemies are tough, but they're nothing compared to my abs!

Nailah: Volug, go eat some of the enemies. We won't need to hunt for food now.

Tormod: Attention, bandits! My shorts are assaulting you!

Vika: Muarim, I need some drugs.

Muarim: Okay. I can transform by taking hits anyway. *counters a bandit untransformed, bandit dies* Well so much for that...

*couple of minutes pass, all the bandits die*

Jarod: Crap! Not as planned! *leaves the swamp* (note: Plan means keikaku)

Prisoners: Thank you for saving us, Maiden of Dawn!

Micaiah: *to self* I wonder if I should tell them I did absolutely nothing?

Volug: *burps*

9/10 would read again.

He falls behind quickly and halfshift sucks. But his Part I is on par with Sothe's, but Volug is more salvageable in Parts III and IV. Plus, best affinity in game. Just support him with Nolan and watch as he laughs at enemies forever.

8.75/10