WarpskipFE

Espinosa

Has anybody ever tried to make a hack built entirely around infrastucture subtleties with the combat entirely omitted out of the picture? No enemies, just staves, horses and horsebirds, dancing and canto and the counting of squares.

I imagine that would be pretty useful for learning to FE. When my more ambitious runs come to a point where I have to use Warp and other staves, I find myself having to learn the ropes from scratch each time, because warpskipping in one game is nothing like warpskipping in another (availability, application, etc.) and differences are possible and maybe even inevitable within the same game if the runs are qualitatively different in specifics.

Assuming we agree that FE is not just the numbers but also moving around in a certain way, and staff use is something of a pinnacle of the latter, why can't we have hacks based entirely on infrastructure when we have ones based on the interrelation between numbers in the focus? Of course I could well be ignorant or forgetful of such ideas being implemented in the described manner.

Example: you have a full party of units all of whom perform a specific infrastructural function and you get to select the right ones for the objective, which is, say, seize in 2 turns. Or arrive or whatever.

Because I have a feeling that this sort of thing would be fun to play when properly done.

Edited by Espinosa

Just so you know, it would turn Fire Emblem into a Puzzle Game, not really a RPG Strategy game.

Not saying that's bad, it's just different.

The original games set a good precedent for that wouldn't you agree?

i think dondon's is sort of like that but it's more focused on teaching how to LTC earlygame chapters (with limited, pretty much fixed resources)

it'd be fun but for the most part nobody who hacks is competent enough at LTC to make something like this (and vice versa)

Because I have a feeling that this sort of thing would be fun to play when properly done.

Perhaps but so would a relatively normal hack that's well-executed... I think it just comes down to personal preference/no one really wanting to do such a thing (for various reasons, e.g. no interest, doesn't think of it, don't think it'll appeal to players, don't see the value, have other ideas that involve the combat system, etc.)

cool idea in theory I guess

It would be a different game to normal FE, but I think it's a neat idea. You could keep enemies in as advanced obstacles, especially if the "goal" is to become better at LTC play, but keep them simple (i.e. fixed stats, defined by their behaviour; unable to attack, attack but don't move, move if in range, etc.) and set hit rates to 100 / crit rates to 0 so that the optimal strategy would not require luck with the RNG.

I'm no hacking expert, but I don't think you'd need to be one to make something like this.

this sort of thing was going to be dondonFE 2 (there are plenty of magic users in etruria), but dondonFE 1 isn't even finished yet...

i don't have the time nor the motivation, plus very few people actually want to play these things. it's a real barrier to wanting to make any kind of substantive puzzle-style ROM hack. clearly, people don't like to think.

Just so you know, it would turn Fire Emblem into a Puzzle Game, not really a RPG Strategy game.

Not saying that's bad, it's just different.

hacks like kaizo mario are "puzzle" versions of the base game, and they are very popular.

Edited by dondon151

I was thinking about making a one-off chapter like this for a Ragefest: You were being chased by an unstoppable force liable to instakill you and you had to use warp, rescue, canto, dance and other tricks to get to the boss room and kill it before the force catches up with you.

I don't have nearly enough LTC experience to make something full-fledged though.

this sort of thing was going to be dondonFE 2 (there are plenty of magic users in etruria), but dondonFE 1 isn't even finished yet...

i don't have the time nor the motivation, plus very few people actually want to play these things. it's a real barrier to wanting to make any kind of substantive puzzle-style ROM hack. clearly, people don't like to think.

hacks like kaizo mario are "puzzle" versions of the base game, and they are very popular.

Actually I'd play and Let's Play the shit out of a puzzle FE game. Puzzles are great, it's just that none exist. In fact, Generic War, much as markyjoe hated it, was designed to be beatable within a few turns with careful tactics. Careful use of every unit given to the player would allow them to race to the side villages, rush the bosses, and end the chapter by around the 6th turn, and it didn't even require luck, just careful planning.

Of course, for regular non-LTC play it comes off as boring because most people will just bait and switch, but I find merit in bait and switch play myself, because that's what I find fun.

Fire Emblem's always on the strategy side of the SRPG genre, so I think it's a good thing if it becomes more puzzle like. Puzzles are fun and they're good for your brain.

And I support this idea wholeheartedly. Sounds interesting and educational.