Fire Emblem: Wretched Whispers, Act 2: Warpath

charlie_

(reference post)

"Uh... yes please, Sheikah." While slowly eating the food offered, Diana responded to Sierra. "It is nice to meet you, Sierra. Apologies if I seem a little out of it... it hasn't been a great couple of days for me." Diana twinged a little as a bit of pain shot up from her still wounded knee. "I don't really have any stories to tell, unfortunately..."

-

Some time after that, while the tournament was happening, Diana just wandered around the town, due to not being interested in watching said tournament. Diana passed by the gem shop from yesterday and remembered that she still had that gem she purchased yesterday back in the room she was staying in. I should probably do something with that at some point. Maybe later. Giving a small shrug to herself, she kept wandering through the town. She eventually passes by the library, and looks upon it curiously. I wonder... would I be able to learn something new about my staves, or maybe any staves, at that, here? Most of everyone else is doing something for their skills right now... I think. Diana briefly looks around and walks into the library.

Upon entering, Diana gave a brief look around to see a lot of books but barely any people. It was also dead silent. Diana ambled around for a little, unsure as to whether it was worth asking someone in here about where to find the relevant sections of information.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closing Time

When Declan arrived at the ring, he found the establishment to be fairly empty, with only a few people loitering about, hoping a match would start up. It seemed like the mercenary was being expected, however. "Are you the guy that Louis trained up?" asked the organiser, sizing Delcan up as he spoke. "Well, either way, it's 50 gold to enter the minor, yeah. There hasn't been much action for today considering the tournament so we were gonna close up early, but we have time for one more round if you're up for it."

Inquiring

With Melanie and Magali sorted, the librarian retreated to the far corner of the building to continue yesterday's research. He did eventually notice Diana wandering around however, and sighed as he pocketed the medallion and hurried over to her side. "Good afternoon." he greeted. "Is there anything in particular here that you're looking for?"

Declan stuck his hands into his coat pocket and sighed as he looked around. Yeesh, dead crowd. I shoulda waited until tomorrow... "Yeah, that's me. I'm needing to keep a promise to Louis, so I may as well get on that now. Not like I got anything better to do, besides." The swordsman replied, feeling himself slip back into the snark and egotism that he'd hoped he'd grown out of, if only a little.

"Alright then." nodded the man. "I'll go tell the fighters to get ready, so go ahead and dump your stuff in that room over there." He gestured to a door on Delcan's left, a little way away. "They shouldn't be too long, so be quick about it!" And with that, he went to gather Declan's opponents, wherever they may be.

Magali let her gaze her at the top of the stairs as she let Melanie go, staying until a few moments after she heard a door close. Just take care, Melanie... This is such a dangerous job line for you. Finally taking her eyes off the inn, Magali made the walk back to the library, where she was intent to continue her studies --it wouldn't do to show up with the ability to cast light magic and only be able to make flimsy sparks.

Inside the library again, Magali spotted another mercenary, That... is Diana, right? Well, the city was somewhat small for a capital, palace not withstanding. Did she just get here, or was she here all along? Oh well, no matter. "Good afternoon." Magali made a passing greeting and sat down where she was before, resuming her reading.

Diana briefly paused as the man came up to her. "Good afternoon. I'm looking for some books on staves? Mostly just to expand my knowledge on their function." Diana noticed Magali and responded back, "Good afternoon, Magali."

"Staves? Well, there's a section around the corner there with a lot of information on them." He pointed past Diana, to a somewhat sizable section on the right. "You'll find information technique, how to take care of your staves, how to make them, all of that..." he sighed. "Although, as I have found myself, creating them is difficult without proper instruction or outside aid." He turned, and started to walk away. "If there's anything else I can assist you with, come and find me again and I will help you look for the book you're after." Now then... he thought to himself, as he arrived back at his makeshift workstation. Back to examining the emblem...

Edited by SB.

Declan stepped into the ring after he saw his opponent come down to face him, and felt a bit nervous. Despite those nerves, however, he knocked out his opponent in one clean shot, stunning both himself and the rather sparse crowd gathered.

Huh. Guess that training did more for me than I thought.

One after another, opponents kept coming in, and Declan dispatched them with little effort. It was incredible; he felt like nothing could stop him. Even the champion of the circuit went down rather quickly, and Declan let out a sigh as he was crowned the victor.

So, I won a bunch of fights, huh. Is that... all I'm really good for? Beating people down for money?

"Thank you." Diana gave a brief curtsey as the man walked off. Diana intently perused the shelves, looking for books detailing staff function. After a little while, Diana carried the four small sized books she found that were relevant to what seemed to be the most likely reception desk and placed them down there.

Leaving his conundrum behind him for the moment, Orpheus found himself itching for another fight. With his new found luck and desire not to be knocked out almost immediately, he made his way to the boxing ring. He'd gotten into all sorts of scraps as a boy, surely it'd be easy to beat a few people up? Of course, he didn't want to be too cocky, there was only so lucky a rock could make him. He'd start small, just to wade his feet in the water. There was no point going too crazy, right?

"Hey, one more for the minor." Orpheus panted, just overhearing Declan's exchange. "I'll make sure it's quick, I'm feeling lucky."

Challengers

"Hey, good job!" The organiser gave Declan a firm pat on the back and handed over the winnings. "If you're in town again, maybe you could swing by and try one of the later circuits?"

He was quite surprised to see Orpheus show up afterwards and ask to challenge as well. "Huh... a lot of people are showing up late, huh? We were about to close, but screw it." he sighed. "It's 50 gold for the minor. Stick your stuff in the room over there, and the fighters will be out soon."

Borrowing

The librarian shuffled back over to the desk and took record of the books. "You are aware that there's a small fee involved for taking them out, aren't you?" he asked, not quite ready to hand the books back yet. "Oh, and your name of course."

Elsewhere...

A lone man sat in the throne room to a castle. Majestic and strong, he did not look at all out of place in the position of power he sat upon- yet he had on his face a look with the slightest bit of apprehension. At his side he held a regal sword, ancient runes written in forgotten tongues along the blade, which he looked over as he stayed still and waited.

Minutes ticked away, the room without disturbances from himself. Just as he began to rise and perhaps leave, the air at the end of the hall became disturbed, unnatural, and from nowhere another figure appeared. Garbed in black but with long white hair, he commanded a powerful presence even before the ruler in the room. Deep blue eyes slowly surveyed the area with some level of interest, but his gaze seemed forever detached.

"The pieces are slowly coming together," the approaching man spoke. His words carried a certain kind of unshakable magnitude to them. "You've done well."

"Yes. I have done my best so far... dare I say that at least through this point in time, I have succeeded," the man in the throne responded.

"Recent times have brought nothing other than success," the other agreed. "There are variables, still, of course. And we mustn't, regardless of circumstances, become complacent. But I trust you know this."

"Never shall I ease until our work is done." He bowed his head to the other. "By the way... I do believe I've found someone you may take an interest in. His name is Malgeren, a Major. If you'd like, I can introduce you."

"Have you now?" He paced back and forth, contemplating the matter. "No, I will observe him for now and ask that you do the same. Perhaps if he continues to show promise, but let us not act with haste."

"Very well. And what of Magnus? I heard there was a small interruption in recent times, but I've yet to become aware of the details."

The standing man paused for a moment. "You are not wrong... not the first time we've had issues there, but slightly troublesome. Perhaps it is an act made out of a sense of Bernard's desperation, in which case we much take caution. I will discuss with him the details- however, he seems to have handled it rather well. Before I am off, I've only one thing to ask, and I'm sure you can guess..."

The man in the throne frowned. "The only matter I've yet to find a way to complete... from what I can tell, it was actually traded a few years ago. A quiet affair, as to not arouse suspicion, but one that complicates our next few steps. I've sent out a few agents to search for it in major cities, but so far no luck."

"I see... time is not yet of the essence. Be thorough rather than quick if you must choose between the two. May you have good fortune, then, Tirigus." The man raised his hands and closed his eyes, and in an instant vanished.

Edited by SB.

It was more than he had bargained for, the boxers were certainly looking to win. However, through determination, good luck and a couple of glass jaws, Orpheus had come out the victor. Wiping his brow, he wondered what would have happened if he'd gone for the major circuit. Perhaps another day, there was no point in spoiling his triumph.

"Those guys were good, nothing like the kids back at the village." Orpheus huffed, still worn out from the series of fists he'd taken to the gut. "A shame you don't get prizes for trying, otherwise they'd be raking it in."

To be put frankly, he was pretty tired. Hopefully the night would be enough for him to recover a little, he'd need it if the group were heading out soon.

"Are you serious?" The organiser raised an eyebrow as he handed over the prize money. "Half of them barely put up a fight. I guess we'll have to get Louis to whip them into shape later." He smirked to himself. "I almost feel sorry for them." Almost. "But either way, good job on your win. Come back another time maybe? If you're in the area, that is."

Edited by SB.

Orpheus' heart sank, were the boxers really that bad? And if he'd struggled against them, what did that say about him? Sure it was nice winning, but being better than a bunch of wimps didn't sound as good as champion of the minor circuit. It looked like he had a lot of work to do, but surely if Declan was doing it he couldn't be that far behind. Still, it would take some getting used to. The wide world was a lot bigger than he had expected, even after four years.

"Right. Of course, that would make some sense. The name is Diana Telsmuth, and uh... how much gold to loan these books?" Diana responded. I hope I have enough gold... Diana pondered to herself.

Books

"Three hundred gold." The librarian replied, waiting for the payment before handing them back. "I hope that you find them useful."

Chapter 5: To War

The next day passed by quickly. As always, Sheikah was sure to wake everyone up far before most wanted to face the day, and the Hollows spent the day marching through the Irskan countryside. It was the next day that brought the real challenge.

Not long into the morning, the troop approached a river by a village to see their opposition- a full patrol of Angalan soldiers, ready for battle and advancing upon the village. "There they are... so many horsemen. They say that Lancelot is legendary, not far behind Tyrius in strength..." Sheikah remarked. "But we aren't here to lose. The cavalry are the most threatening enemies here... the rest don't stand a chance without 'em as the leading force. Let's give it everything we've got! Move out!"

Turn 1

Player Phase

0SJcnna.png

Objective: Rout the enemy cavalry!

Stats and Items.

[spoiler=HP Counts]

Peter 38/38
Taima 38/38
Declan 31/31
Magali 28/28
Melanie 30/30
Lugos 32/32
Artemis 29/29
Diana 35/35
Wolfgang 28/28
Ivan 33/33
Vale 35/35
Celestia 33/33
Orpheus 36/36

Sheikah 31/31
Norman 33/33
Calden 29/29

Cavalier A 33/33
Cavalier B 33/33
Cavalier C 30/30
Cavalier D 35/35
Cavalier E 34/34
Cavalier F 26/26
Cavalier G 38/38
Cavalier H 35/35

Knight A 41/41
Knight B 40/40

Wyvern Rider A 39/39
Wyvern Rider B 38/38
Wyvern Rider C 36/36

Mercenary A 38/38
Mercenary B 38/38

Archer A 36/36
Archer B 35/35
Archer C 34/34

Mage A 33/33
Mage B 31/31

Shaman A 33/33
Shaman B 31/31

Mage C 29/29
Archer D 33/33
Fighter A 39/35
Fighter B 37/37
Thief A 28/28

Wall (15,10) 40/40
Wall (16,7) 40/40
Wall (20,12) 40/40

Edited by SB.

It took Celestia a bit to calm down, but once she had, she wouldn't let Mel leave again. Mel decided that was fine, considering the circumstances, and ended up sharing one side of the bed with her, giving Celestia the other. It helped her feel better about it as well. After seeing Celestia melt down like that, she wouldn't have felt good leaving her to her own thoughts for the rest of the night. It was nice to have the feeling of having someone else there, anyway. Mel fell asleep with a smile.

And was woken up with a frown, as Sheikah did what she'd started doing, waking everyone up far earlier than they needed to. Mel woke up with a yawn and got herself dressed, having discarded some of her clothing when she went to sleep. With all that in order, they headed out with the rest of the group. Mel did her best to make small talk with the people she knew, before they arrived at their destination.

----------

"Oui! Let us give eet everysing!" Mel was pumped! Sort of. She didn't really like all this fighting, but it had been a while since she'd gotten to flex her magical muscle, so she figured this'd be a good time to practice! But first. "I will go and let zese people know zat zere ees fighting going on!"

Mel to 7,4, visit house '3'!

The only person in the house appeared to be an elderly woman, who smiled weakly at Melanie. "Thank you for telling me dear." She slowly got up from her chair, and withdrew a staff from a small container at the side of the room. "I don't know if you're planning to fight them or not, but if you are, this staff can protect a person from magical assaults. Stay safe."

Melanie obtains the Barrier Staff!