What do you like about Fates?

Taka-kun

Let's face it, Fates have faced hard criticism on this site, whether it's the story or the optional features or the implied stuffs happening in the rooms in the back and I have seen alot of topics hating on it (myself starting a few I believe).

So I wanted to highlight some of the better features to still cling to a reason to buy the game (cause it's still the latest installment in the FE series). What did you LIKE (or think you will like if you haven't played the game) in Fates.

No hating features here and no bashing others for liking a feature that you hate. So all you siscons are safe here

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Seals in this game are great! Which can let us have a lots of new options for reclassing but not too much in each play-through. And 3 campaigns xD, I don't know how many time I would replay the games when I get it next year...
And tbh, I like the idea of MyCastle thing, it allows me to relax between each chapter. In old games, It kinda makes me tired after completing a long chapter, so I usually have to stop playing in for about lots of hour because there isn't anything much to do between two chapters.

Edited by huythekirby

why did you have to make this inclusive to "i like that you can fuck your sister" in the op

have some dignity man

CONTENT i like that they recognized that their implementation of weapon durability was stupid and just tossed it out. i would have preferred a rework of the system instead but i'm happy with this.

I haven't played it yet, but I would like to voice things I like the direction of.

- The fact we basically have 3 full Fire Emblem games to play not just 1.

- How the weapon system has changed, buff/debuffs are a cool way to not gimp units like weapon weight unfortunately did the majority of the time.

- My Castle being like a mixture of Suikoden and Dark Cloud

- Bows being really handy, because as most people know the series has had good games for bows and bad games for bows, although this typically is more the fault of the units they give for bows

- The designs, like outside of a few female designs I really do like the character designs in this game

- Overall solid supports

- Reclassing being limited to particular things like supports/bonds for other classes for the most part.

- The various new classes as well as the return of old classes such as the Witches from Gaiden

- Growths being toned down compared to FE 10/12/13.

- The siblings are all very likable characters.

- Most of the characters are likable.

- Hoshido having a Japanese like feel to it, as I've always dug the culture, also Nohr's is very cool too. The contrast helps for more diversity.

I could think of more later probably.

Female fighter/berserkers and male pegs(renamed)Valks. I understand that genderlock still exists in DLC, but at least all main story, non-special classes are unlocked and that's nice. This is, tbh, one of the reasons why I feel compelled to support the game even If I may not agree with every single new feature; I've been campaigning for those to exist for years, and it would be hypocritical of me that, now they finally put it in, to not get it to at least show my support of that.

Having more willingness to put in muscular women, even if few in number. <3 Rinka. I will also make an honorable mention of Draj's character design. Although she is a captureable boss rather than a regular PC, the fact that she is still in the game gives at least some diversity in female body types than the standard.

Cute lobsters. ngl if they make a Ryouma figure I will probably get it

Edited by Thor Odinson

Female fighter/berserkers and male pegs(renamed)Valks. I understand that genderlock still exists in DLC, but at least all main story, non-special classes are unlocked and that's nice. This is, tbh, one of the reasons why I feel compelled to support the game even If I may not agree with every single new feature; I've been campaigning for those to exist for years, and it would be hypocritical of me that, now they finally put it in, to not get it to at least show my support of that.

From what I hear, Dark Fliers are at least unisex, not 100% positive on that though.

From what I hear, Dark Fliers are at least unisex, not 100% positive on that though.

Dark Fliers and Dread Fighters ARE unisex. I was referring to Ballistician, Witch, and the inexplicably male-only Grandmaster. The other lord classes I don't mind as they're lord personals.

But DF x2 are more important since they come (in limited numbers) with just buying multiple routes instead of even more DLC, so they'll likely actually see some use in the main game, since I'm hardline no grind until postgame and won't likely touch the other DLC classes until postgame anyway.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Dark Fliers and Dread Knights, yes, but Ballistician, Great Lord, Lodestar, and Witch are gender locked.

Edit: also grandmaster some reason

Edited by Ebony

Dark Fliers and Dread Fighters ARE unisex. I was referring to Ballistician, Witch, and the inexplicably male-only Grandmaster. The other lord classes I don't mind as they're lord personals.

Whoa Ballistician is male locked? That is really weird to me. As is Grandmaster considering... Well Awakening.

As for things I like, I can say the supports so far (barring a few characters) seem to be greatly improved over Awakening.

Also some of the new classes are love (namely Revenant Knight)

The graphics.

The soundtrack that is so, so freaking good, at this to be orgasmic.

Camilla's boobs.

The gameplay, I don't know where to start. But I believe it's near-perfect. Good reclassing system, it forces you to actually be smart, to assume your reclassing choices. Unless you use online or the Units book...

I think the lack of weapon durability is good, and you can't find them everywhere, you have to think to who you should give them.
I like how the game is actually difficult and, Lunatic Hoshido wasn't just 'F*ck you' mode.

So yeah, gameplay => Near perfect.

Well, i havent played it yet. But things i dig:

Split story because that means extra content. I love extra content.

My Castle. I really cant wait to goof off in there and just hang out with my units and make cool stuff and junk like that.

Gender lock in majority of classes is out the window! AT LAST, I HAVE MY LONG RED HAIRED MAN SITTING ON A PEGASUS! Man...so overdue. Cute girl axing things in the face as a Zerker too. Hell yeah.

A definite unique aesthetic to it. Like this game has a visual vibe to it that really is unique to this particular title. Even if the artist is from the previous game. The atmosphere here is just really awesome imhotep.

Weapons and skills being more balanced. Weapon durability being removed but balanced out.

The music sounds good from what i could see.

Some of the...more grey take on some of the characters. Like Pieri and junk. (gosh, i hope shes localized to be a bit disturbing and not just comical)

The plot having some hella GoT style ramifications.

Marx

All these new classes!!!!

A+ support ranks and the reclassing based on supports.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

The gameplay, in my opinion, is the best the franchise has put out, most of the classes that were gender-locked are no longer gender-locked, the update to the weapon triangle, the soundtrack is just amazing, and most of the characters in this game aren't so bland and boring.

I'm really happy about more balanced weapons and skills. I also like the different parallel seal, preventing infinite grinding and (a bit) limited reclassing options. I don't know why I never liked limitless reclassing. I think I feel like it takes something away from a character. Like for example if Takumi is supposed to be well known as good at using bows, it would be weird if he could become a knight. The only thing about the new seals that I don't like is the buddy or marriage seal for the reasons stated above.

I also really like many of the character designs! This game has my favorite FE characters and I've played all but two of the older games.

Oh! And the music! This one has my favorite ost to date as well.

I LOVE the day and night cycle thing and small details like that are always something I love in a game. The setting is pretty as it is, now I can see how it looks at different times of the day. Only thing missing here is different weather effects. *A*

Oh! And the zooming into the battles now showing exactly where the characters are in the battlefield. For same reasons as stated above.

Edit: Oh dang I just realized I could list a lot more but eh, I feel like there's just a lot to love.

Edited by Hatsuoki

I was actually thinking about creating a thread like this due to the negativity I have contributed due to the story. However, I've always said I like the gameplay a lot though.

Let's see...first of all, the good supports are overall better than Awakening's. Granted, the worst ones are far worse, but they're few. Several characters which I didn't expect to like really shine in their supports, and overall the cast feels less gimmicky, although there are still several ones who are pretty insufferable.

The Conquest maps are amazing. Like, you can tell so much time and effort has been spent trying to balance them and really make the player think. It's not too gimmicky, the environment variation is fantastic, the music stellar and beating one of them feels really damn rewarding.

The new skills and classes as a whole are great. I like the weapon variation available to all the new classes, as well as the love bows have received. I also really like the new seal mechanic and how it forces you to think long-term.

Removal of weapon durability is great. It felt superfluous and sort of archaic in Awakening, and thinking about which weapons you want to use adds a new layer of strategic thinking.

I really got to mention just how much I like Leo and Takumi. While the other royals feel lacking to put it mildly, Leo and Takumi are probably the best main characters - if they can be called that - in the series. They've got good roles in the main story and their supports cover different aspects of their personality, fleshing them out far more than any other royal. Overall, Leo has a more even quality level of his supports, whereas Takumi has several highs and a few lows. The same could also be said about their role in the main story, but this is just my personal opinion.

How we finally have bisexual characters.I know there are only two and they aren't the best characters, but still.

How in base game without DLC concerned, there is no gender locked class other then 2(Being Butler/Maid and Mountain Priest/War Priestess but even then they still get the same skills with the exception of Demoiselle and Distinguished Son which are really not that different)

Better characters then FEA.There are very few characters I do not like in this game and most characters I really got connected too.Unlike in FEA where I did not give a crap about most of the first gen units.

The seals are like amazing.They fixed a lot and while they are expensive, it is still cool we can grind to max again.

The Hoshidan style.I like the Japanese style, it is certainly different.

The fact we have three campaigns to play.There is now even more re playability then in FEA which is really saying something.

My Castle and Skinship.I am probably in the minority when I say I like Skinship but I really do.It gives some characters more personality beyond supports.Also I feel like it is more of a relationship other then the very spontaneous S supports.

The new weapon system is just great.

The new classes.(I always wanted Butlers and Maids in FE considering how none of the lords ever have any, well I guess you could say Freddy is one but still)

There will mos likely be more.

-Unisex Peg. Knights and Fighters, I really love this, and I hope it stays.

-The supports are actually pretty good, and despite the children being non-canon, the child/parent supports in this game are one the best in game.

-The new classes, they are so cool! And we get interesting combinations like a flying that uses Tomes/Axes and one that uses Staves/Bows

-The japanese theme of Hoshido, it's a breath of fresh air, from the european style of Fire Emblem( I still like the european style though)

-The new weapon system, I'm a bit scared of the stat penalties, but I'm not gonna let that stop me!

-The personal skills, it makes the units seems much more like individuals with their own abilities.

Edited by Water Mage

wrt skinship: ngl I lol'd when I read that Ryouma says "My hair is my pride"

I wonder if he only says it if you rub his hair or sth

I'm infinitely amused by that and, especially in conjunction with a line of his chapter 18 nohr dialogue where he tells Marx he's got a more handsome face than him

who knew the lobster was a little vain

Haha most of the things that I love about the game have already been mentioned but what I agree with the most, are how the characters are lot more interesting than in Awakening. I don't know why but for some reason I couldn't really get attached to the first gen characters that much and found myself liking and using the children characters a lot more because I enjoyed their relationships with one another.

I really like the My Castle feature because, like some people have said, it's almost like a break area after clearing a chapter. I'm also a huge sucker for the extra customization accessories you can put on your units and see them wear them in battle because I honestly think that's hilarious (kind of reminds me how in Persona you can dress everyone up as butlers, maids or even Christmas gear and it would be great).

I loooove how the gameplay looks a lot harder and I think it's smart that grinding isn't as accessible as it is in Awakening (REEKING BOXES EVERYWHERE) because, as fun as it is to watch my clearly over-leveled units clear the map without breaking a sweat, it's not very exciting and part of the reason I play Fire Emblem is to feel that apprehension of "Oh god, will my units live??? Is this the right choice??? NO ONE MUST DIE".

Also the fact that there's three games means that I will clock in so many hours for each game because I never just play a Fire Emblem game and not replay it right after.

Edited by carefreejules

- The map design in Nohr.

- The lack of grinding in Nohr.

- Ignoring the rest of My Castle, I like still being able to freely buy weapons, staves and items. I've never enjoyed having to get stuff from shops on the map itself.

- Pair Up is not as broken as it was in Awakening.

- The removal of durability had me concerned at first, but I like what they've done. Could still use some improvements, but at least they're experimenting.

- The soundtrack is generally good. There are some tracks that grate on me, but that's up to personal taste.

- While I am not really a fan of Hoshido and its aesthetic, it's at least something new.

And although some will disagree, I don't think the version split is all that bad. At least, each route appeals to different tastes in gameplay.

I haven't actually played the game, but from what I've seen:

- Removal of genderlock on the most infamous examples, the Pegasus Knights and Beserkers. I can finally have a guy run around on a pegasus stabbing things and a girl whacking people with an ax!

- Removal of limitless level grinding (unless you have the gold that is :/)

- The supports. They're SO much better. The bad ones are still pretty bad, but some of the supports in the game are great

- Hoshido and Nohr's atmosphere really appeal to me.

- Removal of weapon durability because I'm one of those hoarder players that doesn't touch legendaries ever, even when it's strategically better to do so.

- The soundtrack is amazing. I personally love a lot of the themes unlike Awakening where half of the songs just bored me.

- The animations for combat are a lot better and flasher. They're not the most practical, but they're fun to watch at least, the butler especially. Especially the butler. BUTLERS.

• Attack Stance and Guard Stance

Changes to the skill selection from Awakening

Removal of weapon durability

Maintaining Awakening's fantastic interface

Hoshido Chapter 23

Every Nohr chapter except 16 and 19

Playing two different sides of a war between the Hoshido and Nohr routes

Dread Fighter, Dark Falcon, and other readily available alternate "promotions"

Removal of gender lock from conventional classes

Zero

I haven't played it yet, so my list will be kinda short.

I really like the Nohrian siblings, especially Marx, plus Ryoma and certain characters on each side.

The gameplay seems to be great.

The music.

The graphics.

Buddy seals and A+ rank can pass on certain classes.

I love My Castle.

FE Amie. I'm all for any way to further interact with the characters.