Games you think are overrated?

Blue Druid

Which games that are held in high esteem by other gamers didn't appeal to you/you think are overrated?

For me, that game is Sonic Adventure. That games sucks, yet it was thought of as a great game! It definitely didn't age well, and I'm starting to think the same about Super Mario 64 and (to a smaller extent) Ocarina of Time.

Edited by Blue Druid

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ocarina of Time is definitely one. I mean, it's a great game, but nowhere near "the best video game ever" or even "the best Zelda," but the latter is up to personal preference. And yes, I've seen those words spoken about it before.

Yeah. Oot being the "Best game ever made" is a bit of an overstatement. It's a good game and the developers did a good job with what they had, but it definitely didn't age well.

Super Metroid. While it definitely holds up extremely well, a lot of people treat it like it's the pinnacle of Metroid games never to be succeeded.

Ocarina of Time is definitely one. I mean, it's a great game, but nowhere near "the best video game ever" or even "the best Zelda," but the latter is up to personal preference. And yes, I've seen those words spoken about it before.

Definitely agree with that. Personally, I always thought FF7, but that seems to not be as overrated anymore. Also, FF Tactics surprisingly didn't grab me. I see what there is to like, but all the concepts just didn't interest me, even after revisiting it a few times. Being a Final Fantasy fan, I'll probably revisit it a few more times, but so far I'm not sold.

FF7.I never got why it was so over hyped.It's story is most definitely not the best in the FF franchise, it has horribly aged and it's characters are not the best either.I really hope the remake/remaster or whatever it is, is the last we see of FF7 for at least a while.

Don't really think any games are "overrated" which is a bad word to use for literally anything.

Its just you have differing tastes then a fair number of people -shrugs-

Don't really think any games are "overrated" which is a bad word to use for literally anything.

I think he means what game do you not enjoy as much. Obviously people have varying opinions.

Super Metroid. While it definitely holds up extremely well, a lot of people treat it like it's the pinnacle of Metroid games never to be succeeded.

Take that back you heathen! Just kidding, but while I personally think that it's the best Metroid, I agree that it can be surpassed, it's just a matter of trying. Nintendo doesn't seem to show any interest in making anymore 2D Metroid games, which saddens me T_T. The controls and game-feel are a bit floaty though.

Definitely agree with that. Personally, I always thought FF7, but that seems to not be as overrated anymore. Also, FF Tactics surprisingly didn't grab me. I see what there is to like, but all the concepts just didn't interest me, even after revisiting it a few times. Being a Final Fantasy fan, I'll probably revisit it a few more times, but so far I'm not sold.

I'm an outsider to Final Fantasy and I may be wrong on this, but didn't FF7 have mixed opinions from the start?

That's a very insightful comment, actually! I agree, but there are games that are objectively bad, like Sonic Adventure, which had good reception when it released, but if you take a good look at it today, the controls are very floaty, the gameplay is not very interesting, the graphics leave a lot to be desired and so on, and don't get me started on that voice acting!

Edited by Blue Druid

For me, that game is Sonic Adventure. That games sucks, yet it was thought of as a great game! It definitely didn't age well...

It aged badly, but this is due to poor camera and collision detection rather than the design itself. It gives you a sense of speed and freedom of movement that no other game has. It's also the most speedrunnable 3D platformer in existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9TjUKISnbU

#PleaseRemakeSega

Edited by Zera

I'm an outsider to Final Fantasy and I may be wrong on this, but didn't FF7 have mixed opinions from the start?

Kind of. There were definitely people that didn't like it, but the sheer amount of hype and praise far overshadowed any negative opinions.

Kind of. There were definitely people that didn't like it, but the sheer amount of hype and praise far overshadowed any negative opinions.

Oh, I see. Do you think the FF7 remake is warranted, or that it should stay as it is?

It aged badly, but this is due to poor camera and collision detection rather than the design itself. It gives you a sense of speed and freedom of movement that no other game has. It's also the most speedrunnable 3D platformer in existence.

#PleaseRemakeSega

Wow, that's pretty cool actually! I didn't know you could do that! I have slightly more respect for SA now, but only a little.

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but also FFVII. Hype has mellowed over the years, but it always seems to be favored more or less over the others by the general population. I was always a VI fan myself.

Dragon Age: Origins was another for me, although I admit to extreme bias in this regard. Baldur's Gate is my #1 favorite game, and I felt its "Spiritual Sequel" fell quite a bit short compared to it.

Not that either of those are unenjoyable games.

Edited by Snagglepuss

Super Mario 64 is the best game ever! ...Only for my nostalgia though.

Regardless, I do feel it is underrated and maybe a little unappreciated. It was the game that pretty much solidified how 3D gaming works. In fact Zelda: OoT is a modified version of it's engine. People just don't pay too much attention to the older games, it seems. It's all about guns, swearing, and autonomous bears.

I guess in that sense, you could say just about any game that isn't "new" at the time is a bit underrated... Well, there's my two cents, anyway.

This. The word "overrated" is actually pretty terrible and unnecessary. It's overly generalizing, ignorant, and is basically saying "EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG, IGNORANT, OR BIASED WHILE I AM RIGHT"

like for example I like Mega Man 4 more than any other Mega Man

but the general opinion is usually that 2 is the best and 4 is among the worst

i feel like 4 is better

but i'm not gonna say 2 is "overrated" because it has plenty of merits that I can totally understand people liking more than what I like about 4

and even then I know plenty of people who love Mega Man 4

so yeah i'm not gonna say anything

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but also FFVII. Hype has mellowed over the years, but it always seems to be favorred more or less over the others by the general population. I was always a VI fan myself.

Definitely love VI over VII.

Oh, I see. Do you think the FF7 remake is warranted, or that it should stay as it is?

Honestly, the game definitely could use a remake, but let's be honest, Square is going to find some way to mess it up. Though, I heard the newly released iOS port wasn't bad.

This. The word "overrated" is actually pretty terrible and unnecessary. It's overly generalizing, ignorant, and is basically saying "EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG, IGNORANT, OR BIASED WHILE I AM RIGHT"

like for example I like Mega Man 4 more than any other Mega Man

but the general opinion is usually that 2 is the best and 4 is among the worst

i feel like 4 is better

but i'm not gonna say 2 is "overrated" because it has plenty of merits that I can totally understand people liking more than what I like about 4

and even then I know plenty of people who love Mega Man 4

so yeah i'm not gonna say anything

Megaman 2 is definitely not the best. It was however a good update over the first, (which I suppose is why some people regarded it as the best?). I haven't played all of them, but I thin Megaman 3 is slightly better.

Definitely love VI over VII.

Honestly, the game definitely could use a remake, but let's be honest, Square is going to find some way to mess it up. Though, I heard the newly released iOS port wasn't bad.

An RPG on iOS? That's new. Phones usually have those casual "tap" games. Am I... Am I getting old?

Megaman 2 is definitely not the best. It was however a good update over the first, (which I suppose is why some people regarded it as the best?). I haven't played all of them, but I thin Megaman 3 is slightly better.

An RPG on iOS? That's new. Phones usually have those casual "tap" games. Am I... Am I getting old?

Square's been porting over FF games for a few years now. Granted they've always messed something up, of course. Also, have to disagree on Megaman. 3 sucks in my opinion. Then again, never been a big Megaman fan. Love X, 2 was good, and that's pretty much the extent of it for me.

I really don't get the Super Mario World craze I much prefer the nes ones. Also not as crazy for Wind Waker.

I like both of those games, but I see why you wouldn't like them. Super Mario World becomes a bit redundant after some stages, and it takes soooo much time to sail in Wind Waker and the game as a whole is rather easy.

ocarina of time is like the most overrated game ever, but i'm playing it the first time and i love it. overrated doesnt always mean bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9TjUKISnbU

#PleaseRemakeSega

EXACTLY. sonic adventure is...like the best unpolished game ever i guess

EDIT: mega man 2....almost every mega man game is better than mm2 like seriously.

Edited by xXHoshiHeartsXx

I really don't get the Super Mario World craze I much prefer the nes ones. Also not as crazy for Wind Waker.

Kind of agree on Wind Waker. All because of that freaking Triforce quest you have to do. I'm still not past it because of just how boring it is. Granted, I still think it's a pretty good game, but best Zelda? No.

Kind of agree on Wind Waker. All because of that freaking Triforce quest you have to do. I'm still not past it because of just how boring it is. Granted, I still think it's a pretty good game, but best Zelda? No.

Good thing nintendo realised it and shortened the Triforce quest in the Wii U remake. We can all agree though that the graphics and style of the game are fabulooooous!

I love FF7 a lot, I prefer FF6, but it doesn't mean I still can't love like 7. I mean, I know it's aged terribly, but I still get a lot of fun and enjoyment out of it, so.. *shrugs*.

I agree with Ocarina of Time, although, unlike everyone else, I legitimately hate the game, so. I may be a bit biased, but I've had that opinion before I ever did, so.

I just like Super Mario because of how fun it is to break, it's so easy to break that game with all the shit it gives you, so fun.

And yeah MM2 is overrated, even though I like the soundtrack a lot like every other MM, besides maybe 1, is more well designed and fun to play imo, so.