2024 gaming resolutions thread

Fabulously Olivier

So before I start on 2024, here were my 2023 gaming resolutions.

Spoiler

* Clear at least 20 games (last year I managed 23). Each route of a multiroute game counts separately unless it's just an ending branch.

* Clear Xenoblade Chronicles 3

* Clear Fire Emblem Engage

* Clear at least one additional route of Triangle Strategy

* Clear at least the story modes for at least 3 Warriors games.

Spoiler

I fulfilled all of these. I blasted past my overall goal of 20 at 90 games. I cleared Xenobladr Chronicles 3 and Fire Emblem Engage. I cleared the liberty route of Triangle Strategy. And I cleared the following Warriors story modes - Golden Wildfire, Warriors of Troy, Samurai Warriors 4, and Fate Extella the Umbral Star.

So now, onto 2024.

I'm not focused on quantity this year, so I'll keep the same easily achievable 20 minimum threshold. I'll probably blow past it again by intention or not.

I want to clear an additional route of Triangle Strategy. Any other routes of multi-route games are desirable, but extra.

Due to how many excellent (and in some cases extremely long) games I'm tackling, I'm only going to set a goal of one Warriors story mode or postgame completion, and there's a lot of really good options I haven't finished. Like Hyrule Warriors DE, the excellent postgame of Pirate Warriors 3, and Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

Mostly, I'm focused on clearing many of the huge landmark games I've never beaten or in some cases never even played. These include:

The Witcher 3

Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Shadow of the Colossus

Breath of the Wild

Tears of the Kingdom

God of War 3

Spiderman Miles Morales

Final Fantasy 16

Octopath Traveler 2

Dragon's Dogma

Path of Exile

(Baldur's Gate 3 was absolutely going to be on there, but I can't guarantee a finish. I'll be playing it gradually on the Xbox, and it'll be competing with Persona 3 Reload and Eiyuden Chronicles on Gamepass.)

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

2 minutes ago, Integrity said:

i resolve to get pumped as fuck to play warhammer 40,000 space marine 2

There is so, so much I'm looking forward to next year. So much more than my gaming budget. I mean, I have 15 games on my most anticipated list right now, and almost all of them are premium JRPGs.

i have exactly three games i am pumped as fuck for next year and they are warhammer 40,000 space marine 2dark deity 2, and menace

there's the outside shot that stalker 2 actually happens next year but i'm not betting on it

Just now, Integrity said:

i have exactly three games i am pumped as fuck for next year and they are warhammer 40,000 space marine 2dark deity 2, and menace

there's the outside shot that stalker 2 actually happens next year but i'm not betting on it

Dark Deity 2 surprises me honestly given how hard you savaged the first.

I've got:

Metaphor Re Fantazio

Persona 3 Reload

Eiyuden Chronicle

Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

Unicorn Overlord

Dragon's Dogma 2

Path of Exile 2

Titan Quest 2

Trails Through Daybreak

Ys X Nordics

Visions of Mana

Helldivers 2

Exodus

Avowed

4 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Dark Deity 2 surprises me honestly given how hard you savaged the first.

?? i really liked the first. i said it looked like crap and had terrible writing, but the entire core gameplay system set impressed me. they've got better art direction and a new writer for the sequel. i "savaged" both the other indie srpg chaos emeralds far harder than dark deity

5 minutes ago, Integrity said:

?? i really liked the first. i said it looked like crap and had terrible writing, but the entire core gameplay system set impressed me. they've got better art direction and a new writer for the sequel. i "savaged" both the other indie srpg chaos emeralds far harder than dark deity

Ah fair. I guess I just took the writing and art criticisms as a larger part of the review than they actually were. 

I do have some high hopes for Dark Deity 2, but I honestly have enough SRPGS in my backlog that I can afford to "patient-gamers" it. Of course there's more Triangle Strategy, but I've also gotta play Disgaea 5 and Utawarerumono. And force myself to eventually finish Valkyria Chronicles. Probably gonna get dad Disgaea 7 at some point as well so that'll be another big one for the backlog.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

First, I'll go over my 2023 gaming resolutions:

1. Finish Blossom Tales 2: This one I did not complete. I think part of it was my annoyance that, while some problems from the first game were addressed: enemies no longer all deal the same damage and the dungeon design is more interesting overall, the problems that I found particularly annoying are still there: the world map is pretty much useless for navigating and doesn't have anything for keeping track of things you've found but need to return later for, NPC dialogue is still randomized for most NPCs, etc. That said, I still want to complete it.

2. Play Tears of the Kingdom: I anticipated that Tears of the Kingdom would be far too big for me to complete before 2024, and at that point, we only knew of the Sky Islands and not the Depths; I guess I went beyond my own expectations for this one, as I played and completed Tears of the Kingdom this year.

3. Get some semblance of a start on the game I'm developing: I found a good engine for the game, but I underestimated how long it can take to learn how to use a game engine. That said, I have been learning, and I have made some good progress developing what is going to be the core gameplay feature of the game.

4. Finish Monster Hunter Rise and the Sunbreak expansion: I did complete this resolution. I have not done everything that the Sunbreak expansion has; I haven't fought the last two monsters that were added or all the risen versions of the game's elder dragons, but I have completed most of the game's content and this leaves me stuff to return to if I want to return to Monster Hunter and don't want the upcoming game.

Now for my 2024 gaming resolutions... I can't think of any games that have been confirmed for release in 2024 that I'm particularly interested in playing, nor any games that I've been meaning to play for a long time, so this list won't be long and will probably be updated in the future.

1. Finish Persona 5 Royal if I don't finish it by the end of this year: I'm currently in the final part of the game and I really want to beat it before 2024, but I also have a bunch of other things I want to do before January, so, if I don't complete it this month, this will be one of my resolutions.

2. Complete at least a basic demo of the game I'm developing: Now that I have a game engine, and now that I'm making the core gameplay feature of the game, I intend to create a demo consisting of the first mission of the game. I hope that I can at least complete that.

I have exactly one game I'm looking forward to next year. My resolution is to hope it is to my liking, because I'm not quite certain. Difficulty levels worry me. The game is Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes. You may be familiar with it if you're at all a fan of Suikoden.

oh I forgot about what I posted last year entirely. Yeah, um that's a No on all five lol. I played SEVEN Fire Emblem games this year (eight if we count FE3 as two separate games), but none of them were Round Houses. Here's a fun milestone to report: I beat my thousandth video game in 2023. What was the lucky game? Well I was hoping for a badass answer like Thracia 776, but it ended up being Robocop Rogue City which is more than okay with me

I wouldn't exactly call them "Resolutions", but I track yearly backlog goals. Goals intended to keep my game selection varied and eclectic. It's a tall and random laundry list, but a reasonable task wouldn't be as exciting to pursue. This is last year's, and here's this year. I start on November 11th, not on New Years, so I'm already well on my way.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

22 hours ago, Integrity said:

He goes through so much that I'm not quite buying it anymore.
I'm eagerly awaiting dragon's dogma 2.
I'd love gta 6, but that's not happening until 2025, and even then, it's not guaranteed.

Well, here's mine:

- Finish the Ace Attorney trilogy again (maybe Apollo Justice again as well).

- Finish Miles Egeworth Investigations.

- Finish my new playthrought of FE7 that has been paused for more than a year (maybe I'll just start a new one at this point, not sure)

- Finish my playthrought of FE8 and then play the other route of FE8

- Play Tear Ring Saga until the end

- Play Thracia until the end

- Play FE4 until the end (not sure if I'll do it until the end of 2024, but I hope yes)

- Finish Sonic Mania as Knuckles (I never beat the las Oil Ocean boss because Knuckles jumps way lower than Sonic and Tails and it's frustrating) (doesn't HAVE to be in 2024 if I don't have time).

- I'm planning on beating as many of Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3 as I can.

- Play at least until I beat the Elite Four on both Pokemon FireRed and Pokemon Emerald.

- Beat the rest of Kirby Adventure

- Play MGS1

- Try to gather pacience to beat Final Fantasy IV

- Beat Streets of Rage 2

- Beat Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

- Beat Megaman X

Eh... I'll leave it like this at least for now. Knowing myself, I think I might not finish half of these gaming resolutions and then start 10 new games until last year (and then not finish more than half of them)... But I'm trying to see if by posting it, I'll become more likely to do it (because I also have book resolutions, anime/shows resolutions, studying resolutions, drawing and writing resolutions, and a bunch other shit I have to do, it becomes a bit overwhelming so I end up not doing most of what I have to do...).

• 2 weeks later...