Partner Showcase announced for 2/21/24

Perkilator

Yeah on demand is just "It's going to be a youtube video. Not a stream"

Just saw Tim Rogers try to leak Tokimeki Memorial in a Twitch Chat. Localized for the first time outside Japan. I'll believe it when I see it, Jerry.

I haven't seen this has been announced at 2 PM. But I do have to set my alarm to see the Direct for Wednesday. 

I had some predictions on 3rd Party games I think we could see in the Partner Showcase are:

1. Castlevania DS Collection announcement - With the three DS Castlevania games and including other Castlevania games similar to like Castlevania Dracula X on Castlevania Advance Collection
  2. Capcom Arcade 3rd Stadium announcement - That's going to include the Street Fighter III games in it since I think the III games are the only 2D Street Fighter games aren't in Capcom Arcade 1st nor 2nd Stadium.
  3. Another Mega Man Legacy Collection announcement
  4. TurboGrafx-16 Online announcement (the TurboGrafx-16 is made by NEC and we did had the Sega Genesis Online as the first and currently only 3rd Party App in NSO.) or TurboGrafx-16 Anniversary Collection by Konami
  5. Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves coming to Nintendo Switch
  6. Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 2 announcement
  7. Another Tales of Series Port for Nintendo Switch
  8. Dragon Quest III 2.5D Remake Release Date Announcement
  9. Dragon Quest Zenith Trilogy coming to Nintendo Switch
  10. Dragon Quest 12 coming to Nintendo Switch
  11. Maybe a surprise port announcement of Rare Replay coming to Nintendo Switch outside of Xbox Consoles
Edited by King Marth 64

It being a partner showcase kills FE's odds, but the chances of a Warriors game (maybe Xenoblade?) being announced actually just went up significantly. So I'm interested.

Also hoping for a Unicorn Overlord demo. Everything else about it looks great, and the gameplay is the one big question mark I have.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

You know what would be brilliant? If Hades 2 would be revealed in the partner showcase. The original Hades was a rather good fit for the Switch after all.

I hope to see more of the Unicorn Overlord game. Frankly I kinda worry about it. Strategy rpg's and jrpg's might not be the same but there's strong overlap and Unicorn releasing right between FF7 and Paper Mario might hurt its sales a bit. 

A Warriors announcement seems pretty likely. A Xenoblade Warriors would be a very logical next step artistically but due to it being a niche jrpg not financially. Or that is what I was going to say but apparently the Xenoblades sales are about on par with the 3ds FE games which was enough to give Fire Emblem a Warriors title. 

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

You know what would be brilliant? If Hades 2 would be revealed in the partner showcase. The original Hades was a rather good fit for the Switch after all.

I hope to see more of the Unicorn Overlord game. Frankly I kinda worry about it. Strategy rpg's and jrpg's might not be the same but there's strong overlap and Unicorn releasing right between FF7 and Paper Mario might hurt its sales a bit. 

A Warriors announcement seems pretty likely. A Xenoblade Warriors would be a very logical next step artistically but due to it being a niche jrpg not financially. Or that is what I was going to say but apparently the Xenoblades sales are about on par with the 3ds FE games which was enough to give Fire Emblem a Warriors title. 

Yeah, Vanillaware has always been kinda niche, but they get good word of mouth which gives them a long tail.

AFAIK, 13 Sentinels flopped, and then ended up performing in the long run. Amazing game, btw.

But there also isn't a good time this year for Unicorn Overlord to launch. We're in the best JRPG year in a very, very long time. Possibly ever.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

6 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

New Hyrule Warriors announcement, maybe? I could also see a Pokken 2 happening.

What if it's an another Nintendo franchise into a Warriors game instead? I don't think Koei Tecmo is maybe doing an another Hyrule Warriors right now since we had Ages of Calamity while ago and they did Three Hopes as well. I do think we could see Nintendo probably ask Koei Tecmo to do Mushroom Kingdom Warriors, Pokémon Warriors, or Xenoblade Warriors game.

Edited by King Marth 64

55 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Hyrule Warriors 3 can wait its turn until it has a reason to actually exist.

Sales are a pretty convincing reason for a company. The first BOTW Warriors was among the best selling Warriors of all time. You can also argue Tears is reason to give BOTW Warriors a sequel. But people are right that a Xenoblade Warriors would be more artistically exiting. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Sales are a pretty convincing reason for a company. The first BOTW Warriors was among the best selling Warriors of all time. You can also argue Tears is reason to give BOTW Warriors a sequel. But people are right that a Xenoblade Warriors would be more artistically exiting. 

I meant artistically, obviously.

But it's a null point because there was nothing. Honestly extremely mediocre showcase. Unicorn Overlord demo is a win, SMTV Vengeance may be a win depending on what exactly it is. And that's it.

Overall, it was alright. A lot of remakes, re-releases, and remasters, though that's not necessarily bad.

I've been cautiously optimistic about Unicorn Overlord; I was looking forward to the idea of another tactical RPG. But then it mentioned having real-time strategy and, depending how it's handled, that's a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I really don't like real-time strategy, as it all too often comes down to, "How quickly can you micro-manage a million things at once", and I don't like that; I prefer turn-based strategy since it lets me go at my own pace and actually think about what I'm doing.

The first Monster Hunter Stories appearing on Switch is neat. I remember enjoying the demo on the 3DS only to end up not actually getting the game itself, and I enjoyed the sequel.

Everything else that was shown is not really my cup of tea.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Overall, it was alright. A lot of remakes, re-releases, and remasters, though that's not necessarily bad.

I've been cautiously optimistic about Unicorn Overlord; I was looking forward to the idea of another tactical RPG. But then it mentioned having real-time strategy and, depending how it's handled, that's a bit of a dealbreaker for me. I really don't like real-time strategy, as it all too often comes down to, "How quickly can you micro-manage a million things at once", and I don't like that; I prefer turn-based strategy since it lets me go at my own pace and actually think about what I'm doing.

The first Monster Hunter Stories appearing on Switch is neat. I remember enjoying the demo on the 3DS only to end up not actually getting the game itself, and I enjoyed the sequel.

Everything else that was shown is not really my cup of tea.

What I will say is that Vanillaware is pretty approachable when it comes to RTS gameplay. I can't speak for UO until I try the demo of course, but 13 Sentinels was this very refreshing blend of real-time tactics and Final Fantasy's ATB system that let you actually think out each move. I hate RTS games and I loved the Hell out of it.

Endless Ocean! Was not expecting that at all, but I am supremely hyped in the most chill and relaxed way possible, even as I'm aware that probably nobody else cares. I'm pretty sure I've had this on lists of games that I want that are never going to happen, so it's pretty wild that there is a new game coming almost 15 years after the last one. I'm a little worried about the seeming focus on multiplayer and about what the controls will look like (please not just motion controls this time), but it would take something pretty disastrous for me not to pick this up.

The Japanese Direct had an extra game announcement and it's one of the best of the showcase. It's called Reynatis, and it's an action JRPG with male and female protagonists written by Nojima and made by the team behind Eiyuden Chronicle Rising and Pennyblood Hellbound.

Oh wow I don't think we knew Penny's Big Breakaway was coming out today. I gotta play that. 

My brain went through the ringer when I heard the Killer Instinct theme. "Why does it sound so crunchy?". I always knew there was a SNES version, but I don't think I ever sat down to watch footage of it lol. I guess this version can be...quaint to play. It's cool to see Rare show up for the NSO like this and with such obscure games as Blast Corps and a Battletoads game I don't think I've heard of. But they haven't even put the actual Battletoads NES on NSO.

Edit: Just finding out the Contra game is being made by WayForward and now it has my attention too.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

5 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The Japanese Direct had an extra game announcement and it's one of the best of the showcase. It's called Reynatis, and it's an action JRPG with male and female protagonists written by Nojima and made by the team behind Eiyuden Chronicle Rising and Pennyblood Hellbound.

From what I've seen from comments, that's not the only extra game announcement that was only in the Japanese direct. The Japanese direct also announced Mother 3 on Nintendo Switch Online. Perhaps inevitably, a lot of people who have been waiting for a localization of Mother 3 are upset.

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

What I will say is that Vanillaware is pretty approachable when it comes to RTS gameplay. I can't speak for UO until I try the demo of course, but 13 Sentinels was this very refreshing blend of real-time tactics and Final Fantasy's ATB system that let you actually think out each move. I hate RTS games and I loved the Hell out of it.

I see. I'll be cautiously-optimistic and maybe try the demo at some point (I say "maybe" because I have been very busy lately).

16 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think a followup to Majora's Mask where an adult Link returns to Hyrule would be pretty compelling, too.

That said, Mushroom Kingdom Warriors would be a blast. But how about Dreamland Warriors, starring Kirby and friends? Could be a great place to bring back the Beast Corps, especially fan favorite Clawroline.

Edited by Lord_Brand

21 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

From what I've seen from comments, that's not the only extra game announcement that was only in the Japanese direct. The Japanese direct also announced Mother 3 on Nintendo Switch Online. Perhaps inevitably, a lot of people who have been waiting for a localization of Mother 3 are upset.

I see. I'll be cautiously-optimistic and maybe try the demo at some point (I say "maybe" because I have been very busy lately).

Having cleared the demo, it’s does have time limits but you can pause when giving commands to you units. Like in you order a unit to attack and they defeat their target the game pauses so you can give them a new order.

Edited by ciphertul