Unicorn Overlord

ciphertul

Apparently there's some controversy of the localisation and I'm not sure why. As you all noticed the dialogue is pretty ye olde English which apparently isn't the case in the Japanese version. The Japanese version doesn't use some old dialogue or long descriptions but is instead short and to the point. And also....kinda dull. Maybe its because I'm not a purist but I can only see it as an improvement. 

unicorn-overlord-translation-localisation-differences.jpg

None Of You Understand What Localisation Is

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Apparently there's some controversy of the localisation and I'm not sure why. As you all noticed the dialogue is pretty ye olde English which apparently isn't the case in the Japanese version. The Japanese version doesn't use some old dialogue or long descriptions but is instead short and to the point. And also....kinda dull. Maybe its because I'm not a purist but I can only see it as an improvement. 

unicorn-overlord-translation-localisation-differences.jpg

None Of You Understand What Localisation Is

It’s one of those any changes is bad things. I see no issue with it but some do for some reason.

On 2/26/2024 at 2:46 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

The situation at the start of the demo is that after the coup Cornia did a Granvelle and conquered the entire continent. But if Cornia's conquered  by Alain then why does the occupation of the rest of the world still happen? If they lost the war why don't they pack up and go home? Even if we were to believe the Empire just doesn't want to surrender its pretty hard to occupy four nations while your own country is taken over

I just assumed  that the brainwashed  emperor is operating out of an menacing-looking mountain or something. After all, the guy had to invade it, from somewhere

Playing the demo a second time now. I think this game is going to consume my life for a bit.

It's funny, it's not actually that similar to FE, but it's still scratching an itch that Engage wasn't able to for me. Don't know if it can keep that up, but I'm feeling really good about it so far.

10 hours ago, MeteorPhoenix said:

Playing the demo a second time now. I think this game is going to consume my life for a bit.

It's funny, it's not actually that similar to FE, but it's still scratching an itch that Engage wasn't able to for me. Don't know if it can keep that up, but I'm feeling really good about it so far.

I get it, actually. If the final product is as consistently good as the demo content, then it stands to place in the top 25% of Fire Emblems for me. It scratches the itch better than anything from the DS era onwards.

33 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Apparently the game has leaked and plenty of people end up getting their game before street date. So beware of spoilers.

Little late but yeah, keep an eye out for them.

Booted up an old demo save on Monday and sped-ran everything I could this time around. I skipped some of the smaller battles, but with my current team comp, slightly better gear, and the advice of those who have done FAR more than me, I was able to unlock I think every recruitable character but one and level up most of my units to between levels 13-15ish. 

Spoiler

Monica is the one I think I missed. It's the non-storyline Radiant Knight whose name begins with "M."

Due to all of these upgrades, this is the file I'll be playing going into the main game. I'm using slightly different characters in my new Units, and they're all able to handle four characters, but I do need to switch a few things around come Friday. (I.e. Yanha moving to Josef's Unit to support Hodrick, as there may be some romance between the two.) 

Apparently, just like with 13 Sentinels, developing the game has run the studio's entire budget and left the CEO paying out of pocket to finish the game. Vanillaware is an amazing studio consistently on the verge of collapse, and they need every success they can get.

Edit:

I made an exception to my budget gamer standards to support the devs. Got the PS5 version. Excited to dig into it this weekend.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

On 2/29/2024 at 1:34 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

i've seen this around another place and it's complete horseshit, op

the "translation" is a machine translation that's completely literal, the actual kanji used is that they were Hooked, As In A Fish, and the localization preserves this perfectly unlike the shitty translation that people were rage-sharing to get mad about localization

i hope this helps

Funny that the game doesn't know any other word for characters leaving your army than ''abducted''. If they become green units for a bit they're abducted. If they leave to prepare on another location on the map they're abducted. They're even abducted when they're abducted. 

22 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Funny that the game doesn't know any other word for characters leaving your army than ''abducted''. If they become green units for a bit they're abducted. If they leave to prepare on another location on the map they're abducted. They're even abducted when they're abducted. 

"Misplaced under the sofa cushions" wouldn't quite fit on the unit select screen.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

"Misplaced under the sofa cushions" wouldn't quite fit on the unit select screen.

Went to buy smokes?

Edited by ciphertul

A small heads up for anyone doing the Drakenhold route but its actually possible to miss out on recruiting its prince. Be very sure to talk to the prince before doing the battle for the capitol. 

Spoiler

When marching on the capitol there are two routes you can take. You're supposed to go meet up with Prince Gilbert to the east of the castle, but if you win a skirmish near the gate on the west side of the capitol you can trigger the stage before first talking to Gilbert. If you go this western route then you miss a chain of events triggering Gilbert's character development, and he'll stay behind in Drakenhold. Be sure to specifically talk to Gilbert before doing the stage. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

8 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

A small heads up for anyone doing the Drakenhold route but its actually possible to miss out on recruiting its prince. Be very sure to talk to the prince before doing the battle for the capitol. 

Reveal hidden contents

When marching on the capitol there are two routes you can take. You're supposed to go meet up with Prince Gilbert to the east of the castle, but if you win a skirmish near the gate on the west side of the capitol you can trigger the stage before first talking to Gilbert. If you go this western route then you miss a chain of events triggering Gilbert's character development, and he'll stay behind in Drakenhold. Be sure to specifically talk to Gilbert before doing the stage. 

If you miss him do you get Hermann instead?

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The General dude? I don’t think he joins either way.

He has a Legionnaire spot in the registry so he has got to be recruitable somehow. I got Gilbert and Hermann says he need to watch Drakenhold for Gilbert.

On 3/9/2024 at 7:29 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Abducted used to mean a part being separate from the whole, so if you don't have a problem with the localization using somewhat archaic language, it should be fine.

One thing I don't really like about this game is the enemies wandering the map you can get in 1 round fights with for honor. I mean I have to admit I'm glad it was included because the way they did it seemed kinda novel, but I feel like it kind of shakes up the gameplay because sometimes I might want to make a set of more overpowered fighters join together to clear them out, then redistribute the units for more balanced formations.

Edited by Original Alear

As for favorite characters. I think Berengaria and Travis rank up there pretty highly. Travis has a nice combination of being sassy and being vulnerable and Berengaria is someone I had my eye on from the beginning. I like her. She's baddass, haughty but not completely unkind and she looks cool....kinda. As cool as she looks the more I see her design the more I notice there are some pretty stupid aspects on her armor. Her armor around her waist kinda resembles a tong and she has high heels for some reason. I don't think the hooker aspects of her armor match her personality very well. But since everything about her is so cool I guess I can overlook it. I can also appreciate how Berengaria's abilities seem incorporated into the gameplay. Her fending off quite a lot of soldiers alone, as well as her personal skill implying that she can paralyses enemies of fright just by glaring at them reinforces how powerful she is.  Out of all the characters so far Berengaria seems to be the only one without a squad of mooks backing her up when she's a green unit. 

I might just like the Drakengard cast in general because Aramis and Virginia rank pretty high too. I think Virginia's actually kinda insufferable but in a good way. Aramis meanwhile is an interesting combination of a graceful Lucius and someone who's just weird. 

I'm also rather partial to Lex. He's a good pup trying his best so everyone being so convinced he's a trash unit just makes me want to root for him all the more. And with Chloe he brings a nice ''Mae and Boey'' dynamic to the game. 

So far Melisandra being a spoiled brat wanting to get into Alain's pants hasn't stopped being amusing. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Well so, who is everyone thinking on which character is getting the ring of the maiden? I'm heavily leaning Miriam, she is just so sweet.

2 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Well so, who is everyone thinking on which character is getting the ring of the maiden? I'm heavily leaning Miriam, she is just so sweet.

Rosalinde and Yanha were my pre-release picks, and they've stood the test of time. I've seen pretty much all of the confessions from characters I like, and theirs are still the best to me. Victoria's is both funny and sweet and also really weird at times, but I love the second-coming of Queen Illenia in a way. Berengaria's is nice, but unless there are epilogues, I'm not going to go for it. Celeste's is cute though! 

Fortunately, I missed a recruitable character or two, so I need to replay the game for those sweet, sweet romances. I'll probably romance Scarlett eventually, but for now, she's on the sideline, as I'm not the biggest fan of the whole "childhood friend" romance. ...I've also heard that Josef's confession scene isn't romantic, and I've played with the head-canon that Alear simply gives the ring to him and has...well, saying a harem may not be the most polite term, it feels appropriate. A multitude of Queen Consorts. 

Other unrelated thoughts about Unicorn Overlord and Fire Emblem:

I fully consider UO a Fire Emblem game in my head. If I was introducing a new person to Fire Emblem, I'd go: Awakening, Fates, Engage as the first arc, Unicorn Overlord as a the palette cleanser, and then Echoes, Three Houses/Hopes, and hopefully the unreleased FE 4 remake. After that, another palette cleanser and then FE 7, 8, and Tellius. 

If UO was going to cross over with any FE game and have them both take place on the same continent at the same time, I think Fates is the best bet...well, the Hoshido/Nohr part of Fates, that is. I used to think Engage was better, as the two are ring-themed games, but I think Fates could use the worldbuilding and actually accentuate Ferverth's own.* The Kitsune and Wolfkin have a place to call home, where they're not the only beastkin, as they'd hail from the northernmost continent. Cornia would function as a several city-states, each with their own royal family, and the Cornian family would rule over them all. Garon would have been the king of the citystate of Nohr and loyal to Illenia, until one day he changes. (Since the change happens in Fates proper, it feels like it fits here.) Alain and Azura would be twins, separated after Cornia's fall, only to be reunited later in life. (For kicks and giggles, the island that Alain is taking refuge in would now be Hoshido, who have taken a very isolationist standing towards the war due to the failed peace talks 10 years prior. The reason the two never met was because Mikoto forbade it. Mikoto cares for Azura like a daughter, and wanted her to be at peace in Hoshido. Alain and Josef are gunning to take the throne back, and Mikoto wouldn't want to be involved. It would only be after Mikoto's demise that Alain would get his start on his journey, not knowing that his sister has been on the same island as him for the past however-many years. Alain lived near one of the smaller port towns, while Azura lived in the central city in the castle, so the two never had a chance to meet.)

I have more, but I want to finish the game first before I worldbuild any more than what's above. 

EDIT: Speaking of Fates, I'm finding that I'd love for Fates: Revelation to have a squad-based TBS system in the future. For literally years I've thought of the characters in Revelations as attacking in "squads" and I've incorporated recruitable enemies into that too. (I.e. Caimlla leading a flying squadron that flies behind enemy lines and drops off Ninjas and Dread Fighters behind enemy lines to target mages and healers before circling back to the main force.) To see it be an actual gameplay mechanic would be AWESOME! This is also partially driven by the fact that it takes FOREVER to train everyone due to the unit limits. If you could do 5-6 units per squad just like in UO, and have 4-5 squads per map, then you're already training more characters per map than nearly any other FE game. (IIRC, FE 4 and specific levels in other games, such as Priam's map in Awakening, get higher.)

Finally, a list of FE Lords and Main Characters Alain would get along with, from most to least:

Most -

Spoiler

Marth (the dude is basically Modern Day Marth from my uncultured point of view)

Alm - The two have the same first letter of their names and their gameplay love interests' names start with the /s/ sound. They were raised away from most of the world and became leaders and rulers in their own right. There's a little more, but y'all have seen the similarities. I say Alear is basically Marth above, but he's really an amalgam of Marth and Alm. Alear and Alm would be the two people who would get drinks at the bar or pub and commiserate, because they know exactly what the other is dealing with on any given day. 

Celica - Alain would feel fond of her due to some of her similarities with Scarlett, but that's probably it. 

Seliph - Another lord who has a liberation army and was raised by a retainer after his parents' passing and his homeland fell to an evil empire...yeah, they'd become great friends. 

Lief - Same as Seliph

Roy - The burdens of young leadership would be their bonding experience.

Eliwood - Alain has the character of Marth and Alm and the class promotions of Eliwood. They'd get along just fine. 

Eirika - I think Alain would see himself in Eirika, and the two would bond over how others see them as naive, but they'd rather learn to trust in a brutal world than give into cynicism. 

Chrom - Chrom's just too friendly. 

Corrin (Birthright/Revelation) - Fighting to rid a land of an evil empire is something that Alain gets.

Dimitri - AM!Dimitri gets losing his home and having to fight to reclaim it. I'd like to think that Alain could find someone to look up to in a "big brother" sort of way with the Tempest King. (Marth is someone who has a big legend and seems to live up to it, so it's hard to relate on a personal level, and Alm is more of a "man, I'm in the same boat as you" sort of situation)

Average

Spoiler

Hector - Hector would treat Alain like he treats Eliwood, and Alain would be grateful for it. 

Lyn - Lyn would probably treat Alain more akin to a kindred spirit, but she'd be amazed at how he hasn't let his mother's demise burden his soul. (And he'd probably refute that.) 

The above two run in the problem of probably treating Alain like he's Eliwood, and while Alain may not complain, I think it'd create some distance, as he's not that person. 

Ike - "Idealistic mercenary and his blunt mercenary ally" relationship. Ike would probably like Alain as much as he can like any noble, but no more and no less. 

Robin - Robin is dedicated to Alain. They'd respect and admire the leadership of the liberation and the bonds Alain likes to foster, but that's probably where it ends. 

Claude - Alain would keep his distance and trust Claude to do what Claude is going to do. Alternatively, Alain could be the friend Claude needs if Byleth isn't around. 

Shez - Same as Ike, although probably a lot warmer on both sides. 

Dislike

Spoiler

Ephraim - He'd probably view what Ephraim did as reckless and irresponsible. He may also be secretly jealous of Ephraim, as I suspect many other lords in the series would be. But he'd like Ephraim once he grew out of it. 

Corrin (Conquest) - Alain would not be for the whole "reform from the inside" thing, or at least he's not where I am in the story. 

Edelgard - Alain is fighting the empire, so I can't imagine he'd agree with any of what Edelgard is doing. He'd try to understand her point of view and do a better job of doing so than Dimitri for example, but I still don't think they'd get along. Edelgard would also dislike Alain because she'd think he's being too naive. 

Unsure

Spoiler

Byleth 

Lucina 

Alear

*I did consider Tellius and Fodlan, but both have solid worldbuilding IMO, and adding anything too that would have hurt both games. Meanwhile, Fates can really only go up and UO can carry that burden. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

2 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Strongly leaning towards Rosalinde and have been since her character was revealed.