Unicorn Overlord

ciphertul

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Only way that they could improve it is to include manual targeting.

You can get really close with the tactics but it’s not manual.

i still haven't played the demo, and i don't think i will, but i'm really looking forward to this

it's pretty close to what i'd like modern FE games to look like, so that's a bonus too

Just now, Yexin said:

i still haven't played the demo, and i don't think i will, but i'm really looking forward to this

it's pretty close to what i'd like modern FE games to look like, so that's a bonus too

I would recommend playing the demo, a lot (at least on gamefaqs) where upset that it wasn’t closer to FE. 

33 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I would recommend playing the demo, a lot (at least on gamefaqs) where upset that it wasn’t closer to FE. 

well i was mainly speaking about the graphics and aesthetics in general, i'm not really fond of how FE games with 3D graphics look

but yeah, i've seen some trailers and while i somewhat get some FE feelings from Unicorn Overlord, it's clear it's not a carbon copy of FE games

also, owl lady

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Huh that's kinda surprising. As I see it the game couldn't have been more like Fire Emblem if it tried. 

Well the game is all about preplanning. Since the battles are done in auto with a sort of FF12 gambit system.

I put my thoughts in another thread so i'll paste it here as well

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

GG_J20NbEAAwyTT?format=jpg&name=large

Thank you for the appetizer Vanillaware. I await the full course meal.

Some thoughts:

• I have never played Ogre Battle so i wasn't sure what to expect. The battles are quick and snappy. I only played on Easy just so i could get the most out of the demo. Come full game i'll bump it up. That's when i'll imagine Tactics start mattering much more. It's.....it's a doozy looking at all those conditions lmao.
  • Each class seems to be far more unique than Fire Emblem classes. This makes sense because Unit Leaders are who give the effects. Archers will deal bonus damage against fliers but they'll deal even more if they are the leader. Get the Fire Emblem memory out of your head. For example, swordmasters have crits but (at least the one i got) have shit defenses and they aren't the avo tanks you might know them as. That goes to thieves.
  • You do have some nice freedom in what to do-ish. For the first main mission, you can't leave the region until you complete it. But within that region, you can do whatever you want.
  • It does not seem like battles will scale. So preferably you want to take a look around each region to see what battles you can do before you overlevel yourself.
    • At the same time though, doesn't seem like the individual levels actually matter that much. Tactics, positioning, etc, is more important.
  • Story and characters is pretty standard. Flowy language, voicework is good. There's an element of the plot that i'm not too fond of but at least in the demo it didn't show up too often. Basically, some of the bad guys are mind controlled but it looks like these bad guys are the ones you can recruit. The ones you can't recruit they aren't mind controlled. There was one minor baddie who i thought was kinda interesting, he was hoarding all the food and originally he wanted it to protect his lands from famine but the power went to his head and he just became a glutton. Additionally, not every recruitable enemy is an actual bad guy or the like. Some are just doing what they gotta do but so far no Camuses.
    • But the story as a whole seems like a fairly standard hero's journey type deal. Probably comparable to Odin Sphere i'd say.
  • Visuals good. Vanillaware.
  • Music good. Vanillaware.
  • One thing i can kinda see being controversial is that the outcome of battles are semi-predetermined. As in, you direct a unit to an enemy and you can see how it'll play out but as long as you haven't actually gotten close to initiate, there's still things you can do to alter the outcome.
    • But once unit and enemy come face to face, what you see is what you get. If another unit is closeby, you can have the enemy fight them instead. Maybe it'll be a better outcome, maybe it won't. But do not treat it like Fire Emblem, your units here will either fight or they won't.
  • This game has a fatigue system. Unlike Thracia though, it doesn't suck. Fatigue determines how many times they can fight but if they win, Fatigue is consumed less. Total Fatigue means the unit has to rest up (garrisons speed up the process). I think it also may depend on how much HP they lose (battles are determined by who loses the most HP, if neither side defeated the other).

GG_KLZha0AAs6LE?format=jpg&name=large

this girl is down bad horrendously.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

I put my thoughts in another thread so i'll paste it here as well

I find the class based hard counters to be really nice but also very limiting. Like just in the demo I felt like I couldn’t do anything against Hoplite until I got Yahna. Mostly because the next best option Morton was locked behind a bunch of Hoplites.

Sorry, I realise this thread is for impressions, but about how long does the demo take to play through? I wasn't planning on trying the demo but I'm thinking maybe I should give it a shot after all.

7 minutes ago, Wist said:

Sorry, I realise this thread is for impressions, but about how long does the demo take to play through? I wasn't planning on trying the demo but I'm thinking maybe I should give it a shot after all.

It's a 5 hour timed demo, not based on any specific game chapters. Demo progress carries over to the purchased game.

I'll be trying it this weekend now that it's available on PS5.

18 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It's a 5 hour timed demo, not based on any specific game chapters. Demo progress carries over to the purchased game.

I'll be trying it this weekend now that it's available on PS5.

Not quite true the demo run the entirety of chapter 1 and ends after the major battle of the chapter. However it still has the 5 hour time limit too.

I'd say the demo is pretty good. Convinced me to change my mind from checking the game out after I've finished Persona and Rebirth, to getting the game at launch. The gameplay is fun, it sets itself apart from FE in interesting way and the painterly backgrounds are really pretty. The main story itself seems a bit generic but the sides stories are all charming enough to make up for that.

One thing I noticed is that the battle forecast is a bit flawed. It shows you the damage taken and inflicted by the squad as a whole, but it doesn't tell you who will suffer that damage. I had forecast tell me I'd win pretty handily and this not quite being untrue, but that I did have the nasty surprise that one squadmember was barely clinging to life after that battle. 

I wonder how the Open World is going to be handled on the Villain's side. On one hand it be extremely annoying if the empire invaded areas you liberated and you need to track back or fast travel half way across the map. On the other hand it be kinda weird if you're freeing the world and the Empire's just sitting on its ass not doing anything about it. FE and Triangle Strategy have the luxery of most of the world not being shown to the world and player, but in Unicorn the entire continent can be traversed through.

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I wonder how the Open World is going to be handled on the Villain's side. On one hand it be extremely annoying if the empire invaded areas you liberated and you need to track back or fast travel half way across the map. On the other hand it be kinda weird if you're freeing the world and the Empire's just sitting on its ass not doing anything about it. FE and Triangle Strategy have the luxery of most of the world not being shown to the world and player, but in Unicorn the entire continent can be traversed through.

So based on how the final fight of the demo goes, the villain doesn’t care what we do. So I don’t see them acting any.

2 hours ago, ciphertul said:

So based on how the final fight of the demo goes, the villain doesn’t care what we do. So I don’t see them acting any.

Really hope that changes, though. I'm under the impression that the new emperor isn't the type to just sit on his ass, all day

One interesting possibility is that cutscenes might change depending on what minor characters you have recruited.

From preview footage these two seem to be the same scene except in one of them the optional witch party member is present and in the other she is not. Of course its also possible the scenes are different and just happen to share the same background and involve the same villain.

Unicorn Overlord rated T for bouncing breasts and more - Niche Gamer

Unicorn Overlord details more characters, classes, combat systems

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

One interesting possibility is that cutscenes might change depending on what minor characters you have recruited.

From preview footage these two seem to be the same scene except in one of them the optional witch party member is present and in the other she is not. Of course its also possible the scenes are different and just happen to share the same background and involve the same villain.

That is really odd as the mission that gets you Yahna is classified as a Main Quest, meaning you have to get her to progress.

7 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Really hope that changes, though. I'm under the impression that the new emperor isn't the type to just sit on his ass, all day

Tbf Fire Emblem does that too. How many times do you make advances and the evil empire just goes "ha, they think they can win" and then proceed to lose. 

1 hour ago, ciphertul said:

That is really odd as the mission that gets you Yahna is classified as a Main Quest, meaning you have to get her to progress.

Technically you can skip her quest but it makes the Mordon battle harder unless you recruited the other mage.

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Technically you can skip her quest but it makes the Mordon battle harder unless you recruited the other mage.

Then I wonder why her's is a Main Quest instead of a side or libration one?

1 hour ago, ciphertul said:

Then I wonder why her's is a Main Quest instead of a side or libration one?

For the same reason BotW/TotK has Main Quests. Yes just like in those games you technically could waltz up to the final boss at any point. You'll actually lose here tho.

Edited by Armagon

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Bolded: I think in this particular scene, it's the same scene and witch lady shows up to assist.