Poll: Ranked or Unranked playthroughs.

Zeldafreak007

Ranked or Unranked?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Ranked
    • Unranked

Semiranked is the best. But as that's not an option I ended up going to unranked. Game does not provide anywhere near enough information with regards to ranking targets for it to be eligible.

If the game offered earlier, and more discernable feedback, rankings would indeed be a lot more appealing. Alternatively, if you can get your hands on a list of requirements, and are able to keep track of progress by yourself, this is a (poorer) substitute that still enables a lot of the enjoyment of the challenge.

The majority of the runs I've done have been unranked, but the ones I've enjoyed the most have been my ranked runs, (or special themed runs).

I usually play FE7 unranked, but that's only because I have to pair Guy and Priscilla every playthrough or stop playing at all. However, ranked runs are generally much more entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think I ever played for ranks. Unless I unlock stuff, I don't see the point.

I don't see the point either. And I think that the only thing you can unlock via rank playing would be a battle history quote. Anything else doesn't require ranks as far as I know.

Edited by Staraptor

Ranked runs take the fun away. You're obliged to do everything perfectly, not one single mistake is allowed.

That's why I only rush to the end of the chapter when it involves a Gaiden chapter.

I voted unranked because that's the only way I had ever played, not because I think ranked plays are boring but because I've never tried a ranked play, up until now I've been getting all supports (which I am still doing) but once I get 100% of supports I want to try a ranked play, challenges are fun too.

The reason I prefer Ranked Runs is the same reason I prefer Hard modes. They're just more interesting. Unranked Runs basically mean that you can just sit and spend 200 turns on each chapter, which really requires virtually no thinking whatsoever. You don't really have to think about anything. Now, just in my anticipation of people's responses saying things like "Unranked Runs won't always be 200 turns per map", then that essentially means that you are going for a Ranked Run and just doing really poorly. :P

"Unranked Runs won't always be 200 turns per map" they can be 250 turns :P No but seriously, most (if not all) of the people here who have voted for unranked plays say because they are funner (more fun?) than ranked so I really doubt that playing for 200 turns per map is fun, I play unranked (that is I dont care for things hurting my ranks) but still try to finish each map efficently... and then spending 250 turns for supports :D . That isn't the same that "going for a ranked run and doing poorly" (though I think you were just joking with that part)

I voted unranked because that's the only way I had ever played, not because I think ranked plays are boring but because I've never tried a ranked play, up until now I've been getting all supports (which I am still doing) but once I get 100% of supports I want to try a ranked play, challenges are fun too.

"Unranked Runs won't always be 200 turns per map" they can be 250 turns :P No but seriously, most (if not all) of the people here who have voted for unranked plays say because they are funner (more fun?) than ranked so I really doubt that playing for 200 turns per map is fun, I play unranked (that is I dont care for things hurting my ranks) but still try to finish each map efficently... and then spending 250 turns for supports :D . That isn't the same that "going for a ranked run and doing poorly" (though I think you were just joking with that part)

But that's the thing. If you play and try to finish maps quickly, then you are basically doing what a Ranked Run is at heart, a way to force yourself to do things more efficiently. Now, obviously this isn't a perfect example, but I think it communicates the idea. Don't get me wrong, unranked runs are fun too, and can be neat, I just think that Ranked definitely had a lot of merit, and is, well, a lot more of a challenge.

But that's the thing. If you play and try to finish maps quickly, then you are basically doing what a Ranked Run is at heart, a way to force yourself to do things more efficiently. Now, obviously this isn't a perfect example, but I think it communicates the idea. Don't get me wrong, unranked runs are fun too, and can be neat, I just think that Ranked definitely had a lot of merit, and is, well, a lot more of a challenge.

Well yeah "at heart" but ranked runs also involve caring about your funds and worrying about which units are ideal to use and which arent because it's better to keep the promotion item for the funds and stuff like that. (at least from what Ive read, Ive never played a ranked run)

Don't get me wrong either, I understand that ranked runs can be -in a different way- a lot of fun too because it involves an even harder challenge than just beating the game (if that is a challenge :P ) and I'm looking forward to play ranked runs, but Im more interested in getting 100% supports right now.