Ideas for a calander system in a Genealogy remake

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

We even get the implication that Bragi and Claud can influence the world from beyond the grave.

Oh, and we literally see Sigurd and Deirdre go force ghost. Which now that I think about it, is perfectly consistent with what we see in Archanea with Medeus, and later Naga, having the ability to persist in some form after death. That wasn't just random ghost for feels, it's Sigurd and Deirdre utilizing a pre established power of their dragon blood. Kaga you magnificent bastard.

7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The designer's notes do have this to say:

In this world, those called heroes are frequently elevated to the level of lower class deities after their deaths; the high-ranking gods are eternal, the ones indicated by the primal religions as the world builders. By the way, the highest god is the sky deity called Yudu (or Gran), but these gods aren’t mentioned ingame. The Twelve Apostles are the newest group among the countless gods of this world, being the most vastly worshipped ones due to their activity in the holy war. They’re called guardian deities, military gods and other aliases.

Thanks for the notes. Apparently, the barrier of entry to divinity in Jugdral is far lower than I had expected.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Villager:
“Silesia’s Royal Family’s power is ‘Wind’ as is bestowed by Holsety, the God of Wind. The Velthomer’s power is ‘Fire’ as is bestowed upon them by Fala, the God of Fire. And the Freege’s power is ‘Thunder’ as is bestowed by Tordo, the God of Thunder.”

Oh yeah, I remember Ishtar being called the "God of Thunder". Which was weird, because A. the notion of someone who currently exists in physical personhood, bring regarded as a god, is still bizarre to me, and B. shouldn't it be "Goddess", anyway? Or is this gonna be an "Emperor Edelgard" scenario, where the masculine form is treated as being gender-neutral? In which case, fine if they want to do it that way. But for the sake of fair play, Brian should get to be the "Goddess of Tomahawks", dammit!

I was gonna raise the whole "just because the Saints are prayed to doesn't make them divine" point, but it's not like that's the only evidence for your case - far from it. We can still wonder hoemw this stuff'll turn out in any official localization - except for whatever's already in Heroes - but it definitely sounds like, in Sigurd's mind, his great-great-grandfather was actually a god.

2 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Thanks for the notes. Apparently, the barrier of entry to divinity in Jugdral is far lower than I had expected.

Well, I wouldn't say it's that low. Considering what the Crusaders do.

Oh yeah, I remember Ishtar being called the "God of Thunder". Which was weird, because A. the notion of someone who currently exists in physical personhood, bring regarded as a god, is still bizarre to me, and B. shouldn't it be "Goddess", anyway? Or is this gonna be an "Emperor Edelgard" scenario, where the masculine form is treated as being gender-neutral? In which case, fine if they want to do it that way. But for the sake of fair play, Brian should get to be the "Goddess of Tomahawks", dammit!

What? Where did you saw that? Ishtar is the Thunder Goddess, per Heroes.

I was gonna raise the whole "just because the Saints are prayed to doesn't make them divine" point, but it's not like that's the only evidence for your case - far from it. We can still wonder hoemw this stuff'll turn out in any official localization - except for whatever's already in Heroes - but it definitely sounds like, in Sigurd's mind, his great-great-grandfather was actually a god.

I'd say, keeping with the Greek comparisons I brought up, that they can be treated not unlike the mortals/pseudo-mortals that got elevated to minor godhood.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I didn't mention Ishtar when I went over the script as those references felt less literally, like people are merely praising her thunder powers. Which, as I understand, in Hellenistic religious tradition it be very blasphemous to refer to someone as a god who is not a god. Half of those ancient Greek stories are about punishing uppity savants who think they're comparable to gods.

Oh yeah, and Edelgard's class is actually feminine in Japan. Emperor is our localization of Kaizerin, though as far as localizations go it does seem appropriate for her to use a male term, especially with the flame emperor disguse (I assume they use a male term there in Japan but I haven't checked). What's funny though is that Sanaki actually uses a male term for her class, Kaizer, which was localized as Empress. So in Japan Sanaki uses a male term while Edelgard uses the female, and in English it's reversed. My final bit of trivia here is that Alvis and Hardin do not in fact share the same class as Edelgard, that is only a result of Emperor being the same translation for all of them, but the Japanese terms are different (though honestly, given the obvious German inspirations in Adrestia, maybe they should have just went with Kaizer like Japan).

He's not referred directly to as a god, so this might be me just headcanoning a bit, but it does seem like Sigurd himself is in the early stages of becoming a god, or at least some kind of folk hero, given how much people are suffering under the Empire and how good Sigurd's reputation became, ironically because he'd been declared a traitor (people think Sigurd had the whole empire figured out and was the first to try and stop it, which is funny because it's not actually true and only arises from the propaganda against him backfiring). Some cults if Sigurd praying for his protection seem very like they could have popped up around Jugdral.

Edited by Jotari

17 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What? Where did you saw that? Ishtar is the Thunder Goddess, per Heroes.

Thanks for the catch. I think it was in earlier fanslations. Per the wiki, her Japanese title was "Raijin", which is also the name of a God of Thunder in Shinto. So it's understandable for the fanslation. Obviously,any official localization trumps that.

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

What's funny though is that Sanaki actually uses a male term for her class, Kaizer, which was localized as Empress. So in Japan Sanaki uses a male term while Edelgard uses the female, and in English it's reversed.

Oh yeah, I remember something like that. Very peculiar. Different teams at different times, I guess.

We've had Kings and Queens, Emperors, an Empress and a Kaizerin. I wonder - will we ever see a Tsar(ina)? A Pharoah? Maybe a Sultan? Would be neat to encounter in a future title.

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

but it does seem like Sigurd himself is in the early stages of becoming a god, or at least some kind of folk hero

I can agree with the "folk hero" aspect, but I'm coming from the perspective of viewing the difference between that title, and "god", as one of kind - not degree. As you and others have pointed out, though, that's not how Jugdral handles its mythology.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:21 AM, Jotari said:

Oh, and we literally see Sigurd and Deirdre go force ghost. Which now that I think about it, is perfectly consistent with what we see in Archanea with Medeus, and later Naga, having the ability to persist in some form after death. That wasn't just random ghost for feels, it's Sigurd and Deirdre utilizing a pre established power of their dragon blood. Kaga you magnificent bastard.

I mean, so does Gharnef, and he doesn't have Dragonic blood (that we know of). So does Camoo. I don't know if the ability to persist beyond death is actually tied to having magical blood.

Thanks for the catch. I think it was in earlier fanslations. Per the wiki, her Japanese title was "Raijin", which is also the name of a God of Thunder in Shinto. So it's understandable for the fanslation. Obviously,any official localization trumps that.

Oh yeah, I remember something like that. Very peculiar. Different teams at different times, I guess.

We've had Kings and Queens, Emperors, an Empress and a Kaizerin. I wonder - will we ever see a Tsar(ina)? A Pharoah? Maybe a Sultan? Would be neat to encounter in a future title.

I can agree with the "folk hero" aspect, but I'm coming from the perspective of viewing the difference between that title, and "god", as one of kind - not degree. As you and others have pointed out, though, that's not how Jugdral handles its mythology.

I mean, so does Gharnef, and he doesn't have Dragonic blood (that we know of). So does Camoo. I don't know if the ability to persist beyond death is actually tied to having magical blood.

Touche on Gharnef, though Camus never actually dies. And while Gharnef might not have any dragon blood directly, he probably does have a very high understanding of how dragons and their powers work given that's what magic is derived from in the setting. The official explanation for his survival is that he managed to put his soul in the Dark Sphere artificially before death. So it was less "Gah, you killed me, but I will endure" and more a prearranged Horcrux.

On 3/16/2024 at 9:09 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Ah yes, my favorite months: Flotsam, Jetsam, Bedlam, and Smarch.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:01 AM, Jotari said:

And now that I think on it, the very Christian idea of a Saint possibly might have arisen from this practice in Rome.

This is a very common Protestant position.

On 3/16/2024 at 11:13 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

So, the Crusaders can be equated to the likes of, say, Asclepius.

There's also Hercules, who (and Asclepius may also have some of these traits) bears divine blood, engages on great quests, and ascends to the sort of deityhood where where he had several cults across the Mediterranean. He wasn't merely a figure immortalized in mythic narrative, but actually apotheosized, revered and worshiped as other gods were- similar to how the Crusaders seem based on Jotari's postings.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed