Two-eyed Dimitri

So, I just finished my first playthrough of Crimson Flower. In general, I found that the story is weaker than the other routes, and it's very short.

But there is one thing I really don't understand. After the timeskip, Dimitri seems to be in a much better place (literally and mentally) than in the other routes, and he even keeps both of his eyes.

Why is that? Shouldn't it be just as bad or even worse than the other routes?

Is this explained somewhere in the game and I just missed it?

It's been a while since I've gone through CF myself, but I figured that it was because following the battle at Garreg Mach he was able to return to Faerghus and ascend the throne before Cornelia and the other Agarthans put their plan into motion since he wasn't part of the main war effort.

Its always a missed chance not to depict Rhea's influence on Dimitri. Rhea has her vengeance induced rage issues as well so when together they can either spiral into insanity together, or have Rhea try and mentor Dimitri since she knows what its like to sink that low and doesn't want it for Dimitri.

Crimson Flower is the route they're together so that was the time to depict such a relation.

4 hours ago, Ruy said:

But there is one thing I really don't understand. After the timeskip, Dimitri seems to be in a much better place (literally and mentally) than in the other routes, and he even keeps both of his eyes.

Why is that? Shouldn't it be just as bad or even worse than the other routes?

In CF, Rhea is able to escape from the Battle at Garreg Mach and flees to Faerghus, and presumbly the reinforcement of the Knights of Seiros means that Cornelia is unable to stage her coup.

I don't recall if it's stated where Dimitri lost his eye. I would presume that it was either during his escape from prison which Dedue orchestrated, or sometime in the years on the run that followed. Either way, the coup not happening means there's no reason he would lose his eye.

9 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

In CF, Rhea is able to escape from the Battle at Garreg Mach and flees to Faerghus, and presumbly the reinforcement of the Knights of Seiros means that Cornelia is unable to stage her coup.

I don't recall if it's stated where Dimitri lost his eye. I would presume that it was either during his escape from prison which Dedue orchestrated, or sometime in the years on the run that followed. Either way, the coup not happening means there's no reason he would lose his eye.

He lost his eye to an arrow while pursuing Lu Bu. Search your heart, you know it to be true.

Edited by Original Alear

7 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

7 hours ago, Original Alear said:

He lost his eye to an arrow while pursuing Lu Bu. Search your heart, you know it to be true.

Plot twist, he still has both eyes and they're completely functional. He's just so nuts he's concocted a fantasy in which he lost his eye and is convinced it's not there. Some day he'll wake up and accidentally put the patch on the wrong eye and someone will tell him.

18 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Oh, yeah, I had not considered that Rhea did take most of her forces to Faerghus and backed Dimitir as King. Thanks, that does makes a little sense.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

Plot twist, he still has both eyes and they're completely functional. He's just so nuts he's concocted a fantasy in which he lost his eye and is convinced it's not there. Some day he'll wake up and accidentally put the patch on the wrong eye and someone will tell him.

Haha, yeah, that would hilarious.

19 hours ago, Original Alear said:

In my heart of hearts I witnessed Dimitri eat his own eyeball.

As for Dimitri's eye, it also serves as a symbol of Dimitri being blinded by his rage and pension for revenge. In CF Dimitri is not hellbent on revenge and is rather hosting Rhea and the Kights of Seiros, and pretty much being a normal ruler in wartime. Since the eye patch is so closely linked with being "blinded by revenge", it didn't make sense thematically in that route. And all the in-universe reasons stated above ofc

2 hours ago, Nauriam said:

As for Dimitri's eye, it also serves as a symbol of Dimitri being blinded by his rage and pension for revenge. In CF Dimitri is not hellbent on revenge and is rather hosting Rhea and the Kights of Seiros, and pretty much being a normal ruler in wartime. Since the eye patch is so closely linked with being "blinded by revenge", it didn't make sense thematically in that route. And all the in-universe reasons stated above ofc

Nice analogy.

Everyone's comments have sweetened CF's story a little bit, but I still think it's the weakest route in terms of gameplay.

21 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think this is the first time I read an idea where a character thinks he has no eye when he actually does...but I'm pretty sure I have seen at least two fictional characters who wear an eyepatch over a working eye. I know one of them is Zaraki Kenpachi from Bleach, who technically is wearing it as some kind of power limiter...and I think there's at least one more, though I can't remember right now.

There's also two characters from Xenogears who both lost one eyes and have a strong affiliation (Bart and Sigurd).

17 minutes ago, Original Alear said:

I think this is the first time I read an idea where a character thinks he has no eye when he actually does...but I'm pretty sure I have seen at least two fictional characters who wear an eyepatch over a working eye. I know one of them is Zaraki Kenpachi from Bleach, who technically is wearing it as some kind of power limiter...and I think there's at least one more, though I can't remember right now.

There's also two characters from Xenogears who both lost one eyes and have a strong affiliation (Bart and Sigurd).

Well they say pirates used to wear them even with functional eyes in order to remove them to fight below deck with one eye already adjusted to darkness. Not sure how much I believe that rumour though. Giving up depth perception for the entire deck battle for a few dozen advantages of below deck fighting doesn't sound like a great trade off.

On 7/12/2024 at 9:10 PM, Original Alear said:

I'm pretty sure I have seen at least two fictional characters who wear an eyepatch over a working eye.

LOL this reminds me of the One Piece theory that post-timeskip Zoro isn't missing an eye but he just keeps it closed to stay half asleep all the time