Minimodding

YokaiKnight

In addition, what if we, say, want to steer a topic back on track, but don't want to Report it for being off topic? Reported things tend to get locked much faster than non reported things, and if you don't really want a topic locked, then it's a bit of a hassle. It would be kind of silly sending a report to a Mod that said "Hey, can you post here and tell them to get back on topic", when you could just as easily post saying something like "Hey guys, we should probably head back towards the topic now."

I can't speak for anyone else, but politely trying to steer a topic back on course isn't what I would consider minimodding.

In addition, what if we, say, want to steer a topic back on track, but don't want to Report it for being off topic? Reported things tend to get locked much faster than non reported things, and if you don't really want a topic locked, then it's a bit of a hassle. It would be kind of silly sending a report to a Mod that said "Hey, can you post here and tell them to get back on topic", when you could just as easily post saying something like "Hey guys, we should probably head back towards the topic now."

I agree with Gustave. In that situation you should probably just say something like, "Hey, let's get back on topic now. *Some on-topic sentence or paragraph*"

Or, since there were comments on such posts recently ("let's get on-topic" posts), simply post something completely on-topic without telling everybody it needs to get on-topic again.

Edited by Tino

Really thinking about this, does word choice really matter that much? You can still be warned for breaking 'em.
But, warning someone for breaking guidelines is not a good idea. Then you will get 60 "zomg i did no breke a rewl"

But, warning someone for breaking guidelines is not a good idea. Then you will get 60 "zomg i did no breke a rewl"

Then rules they are.

EDIT: The way I interpret it, it seems to me like the "they're just guidelines really" part is just emphasis on the whole laid-back thing. If you make a spam post here or there, you're not going to have a shitty record with the staff. But if you're constantly ignoring the rules/guidelines or spit on them, you can expect something to happen to you.

Edited by YokaiKnight

Actually, we're revising the rules, and this is included in them.

I'm rather disappointed by this. A rule against telling others to obey the rules.

In the real world when you witness a crime and withhold what you saw, or don't take action you can be held accountable.

The reasoning behind this rule is basically "because it's annoying," which only doesn't help when people are doing it while TROLLING, so once again we mend the rules to stop people from either doing the right thing or taking away privileges to cater to those who are constantly problems.

I have to say I strongly disagree with this decision, and I doubt people who are actually trying to help will follow it. It's fairly obvious when people are trolling and when they are actually trying to help.

My own view is that forum "crimes" aren't as important as real life crimes, so there's no need to hold "regular citizens" accountable.

So now moderators have to solve even small issues that members could have solved?

What about if a member misinterpreted a rule and didn't realize what it pertained to and you were explaining they were violating it. Why warrant them for a warning when they didn't realize it was a problem.

Honestly there are more productive things the staff could be doing than taking care of EVERY small incident that a good intention member could have solved.

Edit: Also to Der, I said "or take action," reporting and taking action are two different things.

Edited by Cynthia

My own view is that forum "crimes" aren't as important as real life crimes, so there's no need to hold "regular citizens" accountable.
Well...DUH! Of course they aren't as important. But it is impossible to KILL over the internet. I'd say acting like an idiot, and breaking rules is still pretty important... For the internet anyway.

As you can see, all of you in this discussion are in fact minimodding each other, so you may as well add it to the rules anyhow.

Personally, I actually have to agree with SS on this--if members feel someone is violating the rules, report them, at least give the moderators an excuse to justify their position.