Instead of having three groups...

HeroMystic

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should the game had focused on one group?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, which group?

• Dawn Brigade
    • Greil Mercenaries
    • Crimean Royal Knights
    • I said no, damnit!

Wouldn't it have been better if they sticked with one group the entire time? Of course, as far as storyline goes, it'd have to change the progression, but I think the biggest problem Radiant Dawn had was that it tried far too hard to show off all characters before before Part 4, and DB takes a dramatic hit from this since they have a low amount of chapters being the only tier 1 units.

So do you believe it would've been better if Radiant Dawn just focused on one group? If yes, then which group? The Dawn Brigade, Greil Mercenaries, or Crimean Royal Knights?

Edited by HeroMystic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, some DB character development would be nice. Everyone except Micaiah and Sothe are really under developed (I'm looking at you, Aran)

Having the CRK as the main group in a game could be interesting, though. They could have Renning come back as the leader or something.

No I like it the way it is. All they needed to do was add a few more base conversations that show everyone's personality. But DB and CRK should've gotten more levels cause they're all underleveled when you get to part 4. The three groups thing makes this FE unique from other FEs.

I'm actually going to say Yes on having focused on one group because the Dawn Brigade just doesn't get enough attention. At all. If it had focused on just the DB then we would have got actual supports, meaning character development for Laura/Aran, etcetera etcetera. They could possibly have FE9 characters again but have them join the DB for some reason for another (granted I'm not sure how people like Nephenee and Heather would end up with Micaiah...) and the DB wouldn't be horribly underlevelled in some chapters.

Either way, the Dawn Brigade should have got more chapters. It's ironic how this game has the most chapters of any FE game yet the main group gets little to no time at all considering their first tier status and short beginning chapters...

I'd change it to have focused on two groups instead of three, and balance it evenly between them; give you a real war between Daein and everyone else, with you being the "Sucks to be us" crowd as well as the three hundred spartans "Rocks to be us" crowd.. Perhaps have more Crimean Royal Knights missions as nice unlockables, but otherwise give Daein a more important role in the war than simply leading great ambushes that deal massive casualties, and thus give them more missions.

The Dawn Brigade had great opportunity to develop as not only strong characters, but strong personalities. Asides from Micaiah and Sothe, (excluding Tauroneo) they all received far less screen time than they deserved. I'd like to hear more about Edward's time as a commoner adapting into the big picture, I'd like to see Nolan helping with a significant strategy, I'd like to see if either the Mercenaries or the Brigade had any thoughts on each other, etc.

The only real problem with Radiant Dawn is that it tries to be bigger than its restraints allowed. Given the resources they'd probably have gone to make this game as large as Final Fantasy (it's just as long on a given playthrough :V ), but they clearly didn't have that available.

It surprises me that IS thought they had the resources to make an epic, yet couldn't even bother to give more character expressions than the stiff-like-stone ones they have during conversations.

i think the game had the opportunity to be amazing if only they wouldn't have fallen for the "Mary-Sue" trap that they went with Micaiah. It was all "Micaiah Sothe Micaiah Sothe Micaiah sometimes Pelleas Sothe Micaiah Sothe" to the point where i just wanted to FINISH the game and start with the Crimean Knights yes, i had already spoiled myself to the multiple parts by my first playthrough. and it's kinda sad when a game makes you feel that. If the game hadn't been focused on the Micaiah-Sothe-Pelleas love triangle and would have included the other characters, we wouldn't have the problem of lack of characterization.

gameplay-wise, they should have extended the Dawn Brigade section by adding a few more chapters and providing more enemies for exp and such. At least so that raising a DB unit in Part 4 isn't as annoying.

overall, I think that the split-army idea was really good, but not very well implemented. and they should definitely use it in future games, methinks. adds a nice change of pace.

The Dawn Brigade's characterisation would have been solved with more info conversations (which, let's be honest, couldn't have been TOO hard to make) or Support conversations for their cast at the least. I can understand leaving them out for the Greil Mercenaries, seeing as they already had supports, but the Dawn Brigade is so tightly knit that they'd be able to have some of their own.

Besides, the world needs more Tauroneo.

i think the game had the opportunity to be amazing if only they wouldn't have fallen for the "Mary-Sue" trap that they went with Micaiah. It was all "Micaiah Sothe Micaiah Sothe Micaiah sometimes Pelleas Sothe Micaiah Sothe" to the point where i just wanted to FINISH the game and start with the Crimean Knights yes, i had already spoiled myself to the multiple parts by my first playthrough. and it's kinda sad when a game makes you feel that. If the game hadn't been focused on the Micaiah-Sothe-Pelleas love triangle and would have included the other characters, we wouldn't have the problem of lack of characterization.

gameplay-wise, they should have extended the Dawn Brigade section by adding a few more chapters and providing more enemies for exp and such. At least so that raising a DB unit in Part 4 isn't as annoying.

overall, I think that the split-army idea was really good, but not very well implemented. and they should definitely use it in future games, methinks. adds a nice change of pace.

It was all "Micaiah Sothe Micaiah Sothe Micaiah sometimes Pelleas Sothe Micaiah Sothe" to the point where i just wanted to FINISH the game and start with the Crimean Knights yes, i had already spoiled myself to the multiple parts by my first playthrough. and it's kinda sad when a game makes you feel that. If the game hadn't been focused on the Micaiah-Sothe-Pelleas love triangle
If the game hadn't been focused on the Micaiah-Sothe-Pelleas love triangle
Micaiah-Sothe-Pelleas love triangle
Micaiah->Sothe<-Pelleas love triangle

:o

The Dawn Brigade's characterisation would have been solved with more info conversations (which, let's be honest, couldn't have been TOO hard to make) or Support conversations for their cast at the least. I can understand leaving them out for the Greil Mercenaries, seeing as they already had supports, but the Dawn Brigade is so tightly knit that they'd be able to have some of their own.

Besides, the world needs more Tauroneo.

:o

gotta love that 'stache!

The Laguz are pretty much with the Greil Mercenaries. If anything they'd have a sub-plot there.

Added another option for the second choice.

if it weren't for the laguz, there wouldn't have been a war. they began the invasion, after all. they aren't a sub-plot, methinks.

:mellow:

if it weren't for the laguz, there wouldn't have been a war. they began the invasion, after all. they aren't a sub-plot, methinks.

:mellow:

They're quite involved, yes, but the Laguz didn't invade until the GMs were on board, and the GMs had more of an impact on the war than they did.

But by subplot, I mean having a few chapters where they focus on what Tibarn/Ranulf/Naesala are doing before they're full-fledged members.

They're quite involved, yes, but the Laguz didn't invade until the GMs were on board, and the GMs had more of an impact on the war than they did.

But by subplot, I mean having a few chapters where they focus on what Tibarn/Ranulf/Naesala are doing before they're full-fledged members.

oh, i see what you meant! maybe i should pay more attention to what i read!!!! :P

oh well. i wouldn't mind having a game focused on the Dawn Brigade. its just that hearing Micaiah is sometimes a pain.

I hate the DB as far as it goes. Maybe not really hate but it annoys me. Specially little Micaiah, so i'd go for the Greil Mercenaries.

BUT if the game focused on the DB it could give them more development, thus i wouldn't hate them that much. Maybe. Except Micaiah. She has a special place in my hate list.

And as said, the Greil Mercenaries could be recruited. Ike would be one of those awesome units you recruit.

The CRK... Part 2 felt like a filler. They could take it out of the game for all i care <.<

I hate the DB as far as it goes. Maybe not really hate but it annoys me. Specially little Micaiah, so i'd go for the Greil Mercenaries.

BUT if the game focused on the DB it could give them more development, thus i wouldn't hate them that much. Maybe. Except Micaiah. She has a special place in my hate list.

What's so bad about Micaiah/the Dawn Brigade? :(

What's so bad about Micaiah/the Dawn Brigade? :(

the Dawn Brigade has Micaiah as the lord, who happens to be one of the most hateful characters of all FE10. at least that is for me

and the Dawn Brigade has like almost no personality

Edited by Aphrodite