Should we make backstories for the characters?

Since Nintendo probably won't make backstories for the characters anytime soon, why don't we make backstories for them?

A great start would be Oguma, mainly because he has scars to work with. Let's bounce some ideas around. Maybe he used to be a con-artist, and a mark got mad at him?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of Oguma's backstory is actually revealed in some designer's notes. The only thing I can remember is that he was born in Pyrathi.

In any case, the game stated he was an arena duelist, before being rescued by Shiida. Hence how he got his scars.

Since Nintendo probably won't make backstories for the characters anytime soon, why don't we make backstories for them?

A great start would be Oguma, mainly because he has scars to work with. Let's bounce some ideas around. Maybe he used to be a con-artist, and a mark got mad at him?

The only character I think that has anything resembling a decent backstory is Merric, so we can cut him out of that list for now.

Actually, a better start would probably be Navarre, as we kind of wonder why he wont raise his blade against women and children... (I could be wrong on this, though, as I haven't played FE3 yet...)

I got one for Vyland. Criminal become knight as to escape such ways of life. Would explain why he's so low leveled, yet looks like a medieval hitman...Just a base to it is all, can't be bothered to develop more on a character that's already made and in a game...

Roshea being the brother of Wolf anyone?

Some of Oguma's backstory is actually revealed in some designer's notes. The only thing I can remember is that he was born in Pyrathi.

In any case, the game stated he was an arena duelist, before being rescued by Shiida. Hence how he got his scars.

According to the Anime version, Sheeda saved Oguma from being executed for treason. I also know Lena's orginally from a noble class but chose to be a priest to avoid being married to the prince. She got caught by thiefs but rescued by Julian.

Roshea being the brother of Wolf anyone?

Well, Tomas is Zagaro's brother.

Most of the characters who get jabbed at for little backstory really don't have that little. Granted most of it was explained in the FE3 manual, or wherever Ogma being a pitfighter came from.

Edited by MightyZagaro

Well, Tomas is Zagaro's brother.

Most of the characters who get jabbed at for little backstory really don't have that little. Granted most of it was explained in the FE3 manual, or wherever Ogma being a pitfighter came from.

Odd how they have fail brothers XD Though I think Roshea could be a decent sniper...same with Matthis (is a lower royal of Macedonia, forced to fight because Misheal could easily force him as he's not only an admitted moron but lower rank. Forced to fight as a cavalier, but had an aquired taste for archery)

Speaking of Wolf though, he seems to be a bit of an asshole. A blowhard showoff prettyboi who does it all for glory (why he makes so much better a hero), the kind of brother that would just ignore his little bro Roshea or treat him like garbage because his ego is that huge. Him and Zagaro go way back, back when they were still in training, though Zagaro quickly gained rank due to his extraordinary abilities and tactics (general anyone?). Never really were friends, just pretending as they use each other as a means to an end, Wolf for reasons to spread his name across the land and Zagaro for honor and rank.

Zagaro though...might leave the deeper parts to you? XD Wouldn't take the glory from someone who uses zagaro in his screen name XD

Vyland can be considered Roshea's only friend in the unit (Hardain just being their charismatic leader). Roshea's only reason for being there is to prove to his brother he isn't a worthless stay-at-home, as Roshea is prideful and idealistic. His brother being the reason why he has any potential as an archer (he certainly doesn't make a good cavalier).

Out of all of Hardin's troops, the only one without a selfish motive to being there is the criminal. Hows that sound?

Zagaro, the definition of all manliness, was created when Christopher Lloyd pondered what would happen if Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood, Sylvester Stallone, Charles Bronson, and Bruce Willis mixed their genes to create one powerful specimen. He collected DNA from the five badasses and zapped it with the power of 1.21 gigawatts. Zagaro proceeded to kill those who pissed him off. One time, when Hardain's army was trapped, Zagaro said "To hell with this." and proceded to kill every single enemy on the map with one arrow that homed on one target, came out through the other end of their bodies, and homed towards the next, before Marth's army could even get there to save their butts. Sadly, this scene was cut from the final version due to IS being lazy. For his heroic efforts and general win, Zagaro is a common sex symbol throughout Akanea, and there isn't a woman alive who wouldn't kill to get in his pants.

Years later, Marth, whom rebelled against Orleans, sadly perished to the awesome might of Zagaro, and his popularity increased further. Even sadder, ZAGARO FOR BRAWL requests were turned down on account that Brawl would be more unbalanced than it already is.

...Really? I dunno. This is your little show as you've done everybody but Zag, so you go ahead.

Edited by MightyZagaro

Zagaro, the definition of all manliness, was created when Christopher Lloyd pondered what would happen if Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood, Sylvester Stallone, Charles Bronson, and Bruce Willis mixed their genes to create one powerful specimen. He collected DNA from the five badasses and zapped it with the power of 1.21 gigawatts. Zagaro proceeded to kill those who pissed him off. One time, when Hardain's army was trapped, Zagaro said "To hell with this." and proceded to kill every single enemy on the map with one arrow that homed on one target, came out through the other end of their bodies, and homed towards the next, before Marth's army could even get there to save their butts. Sadly, this scene was cut from the final version due to IS being lazy. For his heroic efforts and general win, Zagaro is a common sex symbol throughout Akanea, and there isn't a woman alive who wouldn't kill to get in his pants.

Years later, Marth, whom rebelled against Orleans, sadly perished to the awesome might of Zagaro, and his popularity increased further. Even sadder, ZAGARO FOR BRAWL requests were turned down on account that Brawl would be more unbalanced than it already is.

...Really? I dunno. This is your little show as you've done everybody but Zag, so you go ahead.

I fucking love you.

But very well then, I guess I can go one with the Zag...

Zagaro is an immigrant from Talis who came to Orleans with his brother Thomas. Thomas was a small child when this happened, Zagarro being young himself at the age of 16, his brother 4 and their parents haven been taken by disease. Only way Zagaro could get money to support them both was to become a knight where he trained for years, quickly climbing up the ranks thanks to his adept abilities and quick mind. Was during this time he had become "friends" with Wolf (using him more as a measure for his own talent. As long as he does better than Wolf, he'll be higher rank in now time as he recognized Wolf's obvious talents.). He had quickly climbed up to Hardin's personal advisor and guard, becoming a general of Orleans at the age of 27. Thomas had come of age by then, having been a cadet for 2 years. Thomas was assigned to learn battle tactics with the royal guard of Pales (Pares, Palace, wherever the hell that one map is with Midia and her manservants are imprisoned.). Unlike Wolf, Zagaro is actually respectable (if ambition does blind him to those near him...) as he doesn't think so lowly of his unit. Respects Roshea's pride, Wolf's abilities and Vyland's will. He only sees people's worth rather than actual people. He only sees people as faceless pawns, with the exception of his brother. Thomas is the only person he doesn't treat like a tool. This gives him a cold personality. Not one to push people away, but he isn't exactly mr. sunshine. He doesn't handle emotion well.

Sound good so far?

I fucking love you.

I've done all sorts of crap like that, the story varies each time. i.e sometimes Zaggaro, his crappy twin brother from FE1/Book 1 is thrown into the mix, as well as theories that Merric is Zagaro's brother. There's even various times on which Zag had a fling with Lena >_>

Zag's backstory

I dunno, I like some aspects of it, but I'm not really keen on the idea of Zag being a tool to those not named Tomas. Remember, the Hardain Brigade [Or rather, as NOE offically named it, the Wolfguard] in Book 2 isn't portrayed as evil, rather just under the wrong impression and being used because of it. This also being because...well, look at my username.

...But really. If Zag didn't care all that much about people, would he say something like this?

That’s right!

Prince Marth wants to destroy Akaneia, and conquer the world.

And that’s why he joined forces with Macedonia to crush Grunia.

Now he even has Gra under his rule.

If we don’t do something, the whole world will fall under his control.

Doesn't seem like the words of a man who thinks of people as tools. You would think he set up all the nations who got pwned to buy Orleans time. Wolf's dialouge in that chapter doesn't seem to fit the description you gave him, either.

But that's just me. I can dig the effort put into this. Just making observations.

Edited by MightyZagaro

I've done all sorts of crap like that, the story varies each time. i.e sometimes Zaggaro, his crappy twin brother from FE1/Book 1 is thrown into the mix, as well as theories that Merric is Zagaro's brother. There's even various times on which Zag had a fling with Lena >_>

I dunno, I like some aspects of it, but I'm not really keen on the idea of Zag being a tool to those not named Tomas. Remember, the Hardain Brigade [Or rather, as NOE offically named it, the Wolfguard] in Book 2 isn't portrayed as evil, rather just under the wrong impression and being used because of it. This also being because...well, look at my username.

...But really. If Zag didn't care all that much about people, would he say something like this?

Doesn't seem like the words of a man who thinks of people as tools. You would think he set up all the nations who got pwned to buy Orleans time. Wolf's dialouge in that chapter doesn't seem to fit the description you gave him, either.

But that's just me. I can dig the effort put into this. Just making observations.

Well it helps. To be honest, I completely forgot about FE3. What does Wolf say there again?

It's called the Wolfguard now!? DAMN! That beats Hardin's unit any day! lol, beats Hardin's unit But for the most part, I'm not saying they ARE evil. Roshea's prideful and is idealistic (thus why marth convinces him to stop because he has common sense. ). Until I see what Wolf said I can't say anything on him (I can still say he's a showoff, because if I recall, his battle quote is something like "I am Wolf, Silver Archer of Orleans! This next shot shall pierce your heart.", but my memory sucks. Vyland wouldn't WANT to leave, Hardin gave him an opportunity and welcomed him with open arms. Nothing about Vyland is evil, in fact he's repenting for his past by being as a knight. He thinks highly of Hardin so I can see him being misled by him. Zagaro on the other hand...he only wants high rank not for power, but rather the honor and the payment. He's not seeking to overthrow anyone, he just wants to do well for himself and his brother. Through this he is a general. They are at war and he believes his enemy to be pretty ruthless. Know what ruthless enemies do to generals? They execute them. He'd rather be a trusted aide rather than a puppet general or a dead guy. He takes his job seriously, I'd be paranoid too in his case, he'd easily be convinced to go against Marth.

If my version of Wolf can work, he's a hero of ORLEANS, not of Talis, Marth's Kingdom or any other. He isn't evil either, just an asshole. Speaking of Roshea, he sees them as foolish for blindly going against someone they know better to be good. This is something that could lead to regret for becoming a turncoat solely based on an "I told you so" moment of pride rather than actual evidence (after all, how would he know any better than them? They all got the same info on Marth's actions.).

What's great is that the Wolfguard has VERY little dialogue, that moment in book 2 being the only part. Hell, their death quotes are all the same. They all owe alleigence to Hardin, all for different reasons. It's easy to give them distinct personalities and histories. Wolf owes his whole status to Hardin for giving him such a high priority job of defending he the prince of Orleans, Zagaro wouldn't be a general without him, Vyland out of obligation for being so welcoming of a criminal into knighthood. Roshea would be loyal to Hardin for being taught personally by him (though various self-doubts keep him from being as good as he could be), but he isn't as headstrong as Wolf/rank obsessive as Zagaro/fearfully stuck as Vyland.

I'm starting to have fun with this...

Here's the whole script.

Roshe:

Wolf, Zagaro, Biraku.

Is this really okay...?

Can we really fight this battle?

Wolf:

Roshe! What are you trying to say?

Look, the Aritian army is marching along the narrow mountain road.

Now's our only chance to defeat them.

Biraku:

Yes, Roshe.

We swore that we could sacrifice our lives for Lord Hardin.

Lord Hardin was the one who freed us plains people from slavery.

If we don’t fight Aritia now, Pales will fall.

Do you want Lord Hardin to be defeated by them?

Zagaro:

That’s right!

Roshe:

I still don’t believe it.

I cannot believe Prince Marth would have such ambitions.

Wolf:

What? Are you saying that Emperor Hardin lied?

Do you think that he would stoop to such a low!?

Enough, Roshe!!

You disappoint me, if you want to betray us then go ahead.

Zagaro, Biraku, let’s go.

If we’re too slow, they will pass us.

Roshe:

Hey, wait!

I won’t betray you.

I understand... I’ll go.

And Wolf's battle quote is this:

The leader of Orleans’ knights, Wolf, is here for your head!

...Now I kind of want to screw something together for Cain/Abel/Frey.

Edited by MightyZagaro

Here's the whole script.

Roshe:

Wolf, Zagaro, Biraku.

Is this really okay...?

Can we really fight this battle?

Wolf:

Roshe! What are you trying to say?

Look, the Aritian army is marching along the narrow mountain road.

Now's our only chance to defeat them.

Biraku:

Yes, Roshe.

We swore that we could sacrifice our lives for Lord Hardin.

Lord Hardin was the one who freed us plains people from slavery.

If we don’t fight Aritia now, Pales will fall.

Do you want Lord Hardin to be defeated by them?

Zagaro:

That’s right!

Roshe:

I still don’t believe it.

I cannot believe Prince Marth would have such ambitions.

Wolf:

What? Are you saying that Emperor Hardin lied?

Do you think that he would stoop to such a low!?

Enough, Roshe!!

You disappoint me, if you want to betray us then go ahead.

Zagaro, Biraku, let’s go.

If we’re too slow, they will pass us.

Roshe:

Hey, wait!

I won’t betray you.

I understand... I’ll go.

And Wolf's battle quote is this:

...Now I kind of want to screw something together for Cain/Abel/Frey.

I dunno...Wolf sounds kind of dickishly bullheaded here. I was in the ballpark with the battle quote too. Hell, the way he says Roshea dissapoints him almost makes it even more accurate to my version. As for Vyland(Biraku)...Maybe he was PART of the slave business?...

Something for Frey, Cain and Abel? If I recall, Abel and Kain are brothers here too, right? All I have is their death quotes. Abel would strike me as the shining example of a knight, defending his realm even if in the hands of the enemy. His people are his people and it is his sword duty to protect them no matter what. The Pegasi knights seem to have a thing for him too. He doesn't strike me as the perverted type. Knightly knight and all. Only one that doesn't have a thing for him is Catria, who's too busy hanging out with white trash like Warren because apparently, Catria is a bar hopper . Cain seems a bit in need to prove himself...even normally, they seem the typical FE red/green cavalier personalities. Only difference is that they're actually family. I'd see Able more caring and compassionate than harsh and cold like most of the knightly knight cavaliers in the series. The sensitive guy. Cain would be...teh opposite. The kind of guy who's all "Fuck it, let's DO IT!" kinda guy. Can put on a serious face when it is needed, but has bouts of badassery his brother can't pull off like holding off the bridge by himself until Marth showed up in FE3 . Frey however...all I got on him is his "our prayers be with you" death quote. Religious man? Doesn't say much...Not a man of opinion. He knows what he does, has no problem doing it. maybe their father? He looks old enough... .

Typical FE cavalier duo with a bit of family thrown in. Makes them...actually pretty cool in my opinion.

I don't know how accurate about Cain and the bridge being though...but still, would fit him better than basically being the same as Abel, right?

The adventures of CAPTAIN GORDIN and PRIVATE RYAN THE BOY WONDER have been chronicled already. See the 60s batman show.

Co-Starring: Jagen as Alfred Pennyworth

Lena as Catwoman

Norne as Batgirl

Zagaro as the Joker [because any incarnation of the Joker is win, so this is a very fitting choice]

Wolf as the Penguin [60s Penguin was purple, plus you can't have W without Z]

Hardain as the Riddler [between trying to get into Nina's pants and constantly being overshadowed by at least one of his subordinates and that whole thingy in Book 2, It's not unplausable to say Hardain's mind finally snapped, and now he makes riddles which Captain Gordin and Private Ryan are able to solve without any thought...and the answers NEVER make any sense.]

But enough of that.

Gordin, whilst rather shy and dependent on others, still does his best to take care of Ryan, who is even more frail and co-dependent than he is. A perfect example of this being that Gordin's father left their mother while she was pregnant, and Gordin's mother died while giving birth to Ryan. Gordin has been taking care of Ryan by himself ever since he was six years old, but even though Gordin used his mother's wealth as sparingly as possible and did favors for neighbors to try to help them get by, and even Ryan helped out the neighbors once he was old enough, it just wasn't enough. Gordin was forced to take up arms at 14 once they ran out of money. In the meantime, Ryan was cared for by the villagers. During the attack on Altea, Gordin was attacked at his post. He tried to fend them off, but he was quickly taken captive by the Gra army, and was tortured and interrogated. Far too worried about what would happen if Gordin told them infomation and was stripped of his job, thus leading to a starved Ryan, Gordin refused to talk, and suffered for his actions. In addition to being even more sadistically tortured, he was also not fed for two days. Having no more use for him, the bandits decided to get rid of Gordin, and deliver a blow to Prince Marth's reputation to boot: How? They forced him into a spare uniform, tied his hands behind his back, and stripped him of his bow, whilst placing Gordin at the edge of a corridor. They figured this would lead Marth to believe that an ambush was to take place, and, underestimating the prince's senses, assumed he would only see the uniform and cut Gordin down. Gra's spies would later report the incident to what was left of Altea's people, to shame their prince. During preparation for this stunt, Gra's men tortured him one last time, kicking him, cutting him, and even putting a spider on his body. All the while, they chanted "Gaggles!" at him. This was the last straw for Gordin's young, weak mind, and he's been somewhat paranoid and has had difficulty talking to people ever since. Anyway, Marth WAS smart enough to see through Gra's trap, and rescued Gordin rather than putting him to the sword. Gordin later escaped with Marth and pals on the ship. During the voyage, Draug confronted Gordin and noted the boy's clearly weak physical state, and offered him some food. He also noted that Gordin seemed rather weak and would sorely need protection, which Draug offered full-time. The idea was that Draug would soak up all the hits while Gordin picked off the enemies that attacked him one by one. Gordin was happy to be looked after and agreed to the plan, and Draug has probably become decent friends ever since. [Explaining Draug/Gordin support] He also developed something of a crush on Norne, and had a talk with her whenever he needed help learning how to use his bow better, and sometimes these talks with her extended beyond combat. [Explaining Gordin/Norne support]

Anywho, in Book 2, Ryan insisted on joining Marth's batallion. Gordin protested at first but finally caved when he realized this is what Ryan really wanted. Can't really say too much about Ryan right now, but I also know George trained Gordin and probably Ryan at one point.

...It'll be easier to come up with stuff when/if Book 2 DS comes out.

....Well hell! Beats the stuffing out of "Gaggles gets saved by Marth!"

all I got on him is his "our prayers be with you" death quote. Religious man? Doesn't say much.

Eh wot?

He says "Lord Marth....luck...be with you..." exactly what the Marth Brigade [Abel/Cain/Jagen/Draug/Gordin] said when they died in the original FE1/Book 1.

Edited by MightyZagaro

I lol'd. Hard.

Whut?

With the exception of the Gordin and Ryan Batman show, that wasn't at all intended as comedic.

Heh, if my attempts at drama create laughter, I guess I'm not much for the writing business, eh?

Edited by MightyZagaro

Rather brief, but mine aren't any more detailed. Yeah though, better than gaggles rescued by Marth! "You received a Gaggles!" *play FF4 important item fanfare*

Speaking of Draug, He is an Armorer from Talys who's armor is known as being so effective that those that wear it will be as hard to kill as the walking dead HA! and people wonder how the name fits... . This would explain why he's an armor knight, but not exactly a professional one. He makes the armor, not wear it. He's militia. Got along with Marth's group due to...well..being a prince who was cast away from his kingdom and all. Being royalty and then losing it would absolutely suck. Joins up with Marth's group because A. Good for business to show off his armor and it's worth. B. Because how often is the job of safeguarding an exhiled prince offered to you? and C. Because he has a problem with someone as young as Gordin suffering through what he has alone. He acts as sort of a father figure to Gordin, even teaches him a bit about armoring (explains why Gordin has pretty cool defense at the start of FE3). Socially, he's a bit of the friendly neighbor type, never really has anything bad to say or talk about. Ever the optimist...Always looks on the bright side. Odd sounding for one nicknamed after a form of undead.

Man, I'm on a roll! This is just too fun.

Hey, that's actually a good idea.

Don't blame you for forgetting about it, but wanna explain the Draug/Norne support as well? Hey, speaking of Norne, where does she come into this?

Here's what I've got for Frey.

Jagen's son [it's possible! D:], who although enjoys his job and feels it means a lot to him, doesn't take himself THAT seriously, and has been known for several infamous stunts, such as attending ceremonies in casual wear. Generally he's a very social guy, going so far as to be informal with royalty from time to time, due to feeling friendship is the most important thing a knight can have: If you're going to fight together and die together, you might as well be friends and get to know a little something about each other. He also doesn't let his knightly status interfere with his off-duty life too much: he loves his booze and is something of a womanizer [FAR from a horny pervert like Sain, he's just trying to get laid...and is actually kind of good at it] and even gambles from time to time. He's also not overly pressured by his father's disapproval of these actions and keeps doing what he feels like doing.

....Not half bad considering I was working off of nothing but his good taste in women [support with Catria and Palla]

Edited by MightyZagaro

Hey, that's actually a good idea.

Don't blame you for forgetting about it, but wanna explain the Draug/Norne support as well?

Here's what I've got for Frey.

Jagen's son [it's possible! D:], who although enjoys his job and feels it means a lot to him, doesn't take himself THAT seriously, and has been known for several infamous stunts, such as attending ceremonies in casual wear. Generally he's a very social guy, going so far as to be informal with royalty from time to time, due to feeling friendship is the most important thing a knight can have: If you're going to fight together and die together, you might as well be friends and get to know a little something about each other. He also doesn't let his knightly status interfere with his off-duty life too much: he loves his booze and is something of a womanizer [FAR from a horny pervert like Sain, he's just trying to get laid...and is actually kind of good at it] and even gambles from time to time. He's also not overly pressured by his father's disapproval of these actions and keeps doing what he feels like doing.

....Not half bad considering I was working off of nothing but his good taste in women [support with Catria and Palla]

Ahh, Draug and Norne...She could be his daughter or business partner. Looking at her portrait, she's looking to be more business partner as she doesn't seem like a child by much. Could manage shipment and supply and the iron, draug hammers the stuff out and ships it out. Norne makes her own bows too so it's not like draug's doing it alone.She immigrated from Altea to Talys, as the busy life of the city was tiring, she would prefer the quiet life on the beach of Talys. Steady work, good friends, awesome business partner...what more could one ask for? Joins in the effort from receiving word from Draug about Marth, and a friend helps a friend. Gordin does develop a crush on her and thus with her helped expertise helps Gordin pick up on his skills later for FE3 (one speed away from doubling with iron bow, better strength). Also helps Gordin teach Ryan how to use a bow between the time of FE1 and 3. Gordin and her never really develop a love relationship, but Gordin keeps trying his hardest. Norne's just not ready for that sort of thing, she's still young. Keeps telling Gordin the same, but he can be clingy due to his life experience thus far.

As for Frey...I like yours better than mine. Yours is actually...thought out XD

EDIT: Wanna know what would be funny?...If Draug's armor was what the enemy was wearing XD

Edited by Grandjackal