Masculinity and Femininity

Liz

What is your view on masculinity and femininity? What is your criteria to judge something as masculine or feminine?

and all that.

Edited by Nyx

I always see them as forms of expression. Someone feminine would usually be more ellegant, soft spoken, soft or beautiful in appearance, more emotionally connected to people or a cause, empathetic and sympathetic, with a gentleness to their personality.

Masculinity however I see more as expression of willpower, determination, ambition, strong, tough, energetic and rough.

Obviously, not all are clear cut one way or the other, no matter the appearance, gender or fixation, same in how the world is not black and white in image or thought.

But perhaps I am just simple.

As a note to clear up on with the whole Leonardo thing. I'm aware he isn't exactly a girly girl, but he's just a touch more feminine than masculine. Just a tad.

Masculine people are assertive and aggressive, things boys are more known for. Feminine people are more submissive and graceful. Personally, I think following either stereotype is stupid. Be your own person, not what people think boys and girls should be.

Edited by Urvan

Personally, I think following either stereotype is stupid. Be your own person, not what people think boys and girls should be.

awesomely said

Pretty much what he said

Disregarding the various stereotypes that exist around people who behave in a "masculine" or "feminine" way, the labels "masculine" and "feminine" themselves are subjective, defined by one person's own view on what a girl and a guy should act like. This view varies from individual to individual, and can vary drastically across cultures.

So in order to answer this question, I would need you to define exactly what you mean by these vague labels.

To me, masculinity and femininity are just stereotypes for how men and women act. I'd pretty much agree with what people several posts above used to define these terms, although they are still quite subjective.

I find it unnecessary to need to follow a particular stereotype, to be confined so much. Personally, I'm relatively feminine for a guy (although I am gay...even though that really doesn't mean that I'm supposed to be feminine.)

To me, masculinity and femininity are just stereotypes for how men and women act.

Don't undersell yourself. That's exactly what it is.

For example. Would any guys in this thread feel weird eating cake on their birthday, or having a pasty with your breakfast if your going out? No, of course not, everyone in western society loves sweets.

However, in say Japan, eating sweets is seen as a very feminine thing, and a man who eats cake or pastries is seen as a "girly man"

Is any one of these viewpoints more right than the other? Is there even any way of judging which one is right?

What you or I call masculine can be completely different than what other people view these labels as, and if you take time to analyze the stereotypes critically you'll find that even the people proffering these opinions do so with glaring contradictions and paradoxes.

Examples include boxers who take ballet to improve their agility. Under some stereotypes, becoming a better boxer makes you more manly, but is that somehow negated by the fact that you dance? Even more so, male ballerinas have some of the most perfectly fit and lean muscle constitutions of any athletes, but does this incredible power exonerate them of their "girlyness"?

Edited by Black Knight

To me, masculinity and femininity are just stereotypes for how men and women act.

This is pretty much what it is. I would change the wording slightly to read: masculinity and feminitiy are standard beliefs for how a man or woman should act. As BK pointed out, depending on the society, this changes a bit just like local customs and languages.

To say something is one or the other (masculine or feminine) is directly based on how society has effected a person's point-of-view. The truth of the matter is a lot of things are actually neutral, such as eating cake and pastries. Of course I've my own standards of masculine and feminine, and it is based off how I was raised.

Usually I translate the word or concept into French and see if it takes a masculine or feminine article.

Outside of all this "relative perspecitve" nonsense, French is the one thing that is feminine on every fundamental level.

Either that or just fucking gay.

:D

Femininity i believe has become a word used for anyone who cares about anyone but themselves, and is caring in nature. I find to often that a man can be called feminine because he cares for another living creature. But tis true, both words are merely stereotypes that need not exist in todays world, but do anyways. Its not so much that people use them on a personal level, most people just find it easier to label people around them, that way they dont need to get to know a person to know what they are like. Its still wrong yes, just some people need to use words like these to feel connected to people without making an effort. If that makes any sense at all :P