Your problems with Christians

Janissary

Ignorance is bliss :rolleyes:

QFT

My main problem with Christians is being unaccepting of others (the ones I know anyway). I think I already said that my sister's boyfriend was harassed quite a lot by my Christian family for not being religious and it resulted in their break up. I also don't understand what the problem with homosexuality is. God made them like that, right? Stop shunning God's creation.

You are aware that something is not born one thing then becomes another, right? Evolution does not work like in Pokemon.

WHA-WHA-WHAT!!?!?!?!

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QFT

My main problem with Christians is being unaccepting of others (the ones I know anyway). I think I already said that my sister's boyfriend was harassed quite a lot by my Christian family for not being religious and it resulted in their break up. I also don't understand what the problem with homosexuality is. God made them like that, right? Stop shunning God's creation.

Can you really call them "Christian" then? I sure don't think so...

Christians are supposed to love everyone. If you ask me, I think the "important" Christians (preachers and such) are too corrupt to even know who God is.

Note: Some preachers are awesome though.

Edited by FEFL

Cool No True Scotsman fallacy, bro.

I thought logical fallacies were used (accidently, or on purpose I guess) only during debates...oh well.

I see your point.

Edited by FEFL

My only problem with most of the religions is that they sometimes want to make you believe, like this time, when they made me believe in the god called "God".

That has nothing to do with God.

The CHURCH needs money.

Big difference.

Just clearing that up.

Fuck the church. If christianity's god loved them so much why doesn't he make it rain money for them. Or why the hell does their god constantly punshing people. And don't give me the 'their sinners" crap. I see plenty of homeless and poor good christians.

Fuck the church. If christianity's god loved them so much why doesn't he make it rain money for them. Or why the hell does their god constantly punshing people.

Most people would rebutt this with the whole 'God works in mysterious ways' bullshit that can't be backed up. Honestly, it's the worst cop-out strategy in history.

However, being a former Roman Catholic myself, I can tell you that the line of thinking that 'God works in mysterious ways' stems from the story of Noah's Ark; iconic as it is, it seems to me that the stuff that's relevant to modernist Christian theology is the end part where God makes the rainbow. Most theologists theorize that this appearance of the rainbow is God's promise to stay out of our affairs for all time, and as such we have total dominion over our will.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's not a cop-out strategy, seeing as how all of the most conservative ministers pull that shit out all the time. I absolutely hate that saying because there's no way that most people can argue against that if they so happen to pull it out of their asses, but the fact remains that it still has its basis in the Bible. Ironic how it's the only thing that most radical Christians take seriously...

And it's not really God that's punishing people; it's people punishing people. Even if God did exist, according to what I said above he's got no part in punishing anybody (I'm not counting radical Christians here since they don't take their Bible verses seriously) since we're the ones creating the conditions for people to be punished in.

To add to plenty of other posts I would just like to say: What kind of a Father would God be if He solved everything for humanity? If He did not let people make mistakes, and if He answered our "prayers"?

Praying to me is sorta overrated, in the sense that people ask for things. A prayer to me is like commanding God to help you, YEAH RIGHT. Sometimes we just want a safe ride back home, or help getting through tough times, those prayers are okay (to me anyway). :D

"God works in mysterious ways."

Eh, a bad excuse even to me, He is working all the time (of course I know I cannot prove that), just not into ALL of human affairs.

To add to plenty of other posts I would just like to say: What kind of a Father would God be if He solved everything for humanity?

A good one? I dunno, I don't find punishing millions to an everlasting form of torture is a viable teaching method.

But that's just me and my mortal observations.

If He did not let people make mistakes, and if He answered our "prayers"?

You're listing good things. If prayer can literally move mountains, one should be capable of speaking to God.

What kind of a Father would God be if He solved everything for humanity?

I don't want your god to solve everything, just rape, murder, the needless starvation of millions, the horrific diseases that leave people crippled husks or kill them in agony, the myriad of parasites that range from annoying to agonizing...

:rolleyes:

Edited by Der Kommissar

I don't want your god to solve everything, just rape, murder, the needless starvation of millions, the horrific diseases that leave people crippled husks or kill them in agony, the myriad of parasites that range from annoying to agonizing...

:rolleyes:

While we're at it, I'm sure stopping Mental Disorders and whatnot would be child's play for him, and assuring that all people would be born with basic problem solving skills and the ability to make accurate decisions based on the information they gathered should be a cinch. Its too bad really. :(

http://www.christianinconnect.com/misfortunes.htm

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Christianity-Ch...-Punishment.htm

A couple of pages I could find on a Christian perspective on misfortunes that happen to people, including Christians. Basically, he is called the father for a reason: He actually disciplines just like a good father should.

http://www.carm.org/apologetics/evidence-a...suffering-world

This article is about why there is suffering in the world.

I don't need to read the articles to know that not every misfortune is some discipline that everyone deserves. "A great father will chastise (punish) any child of his that is doing things which would be harmful to them." You know, like infanticide. "I had to kill it! If that baby didn't stop crying, it would have stunted its growth! :( "

He's a "father" who doles out punishment pretty damn indiscriminately.

Edited by YokaiKnight

I don't need to read the articles to know that not every misfortune is some discipline that everyone deserves. "A great father will chastise (punish) any child of his that is doing things which would be harmful to them." You know, like infanticide. "I had to kill it! If that baby didn't stop crying, it would have stunted its growth! sad.gif "

He's a "father" who doles out punishment pretty damn indiscriminately.

Not all evil or misfortune is caused by God, but these things could still happen. If someone is killing their child, then they're out of touch with God anyway. The reason I linked the third page is because of comments such as this.

http://www.christianinconnect.com/misfortunes.htm

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Christianity-Ch...-Punishment.htm

A couple of pages I could find on a Christian perspective on misfortunes that happen to people, including Christians. Basically, he is called the father for a reason: He actually disciplines just like a good father should.

http://www.carm.org/apologetics/evidence-a...suffering-world

This article is about why there is suffering in the world.

And his discipline frequently falls in the area of genocide and slaughter. A good father indeed.

Because as we all know, fathers discipline their children for reasons. All of which are utterly invalidated by the fact that God is assumed to be omnipotent

We live in the New Testament now. Genocide and manslaughter is no longer the standard for punishment.

Inconsequential. The fact of the matter is that God somehow found it fine to slaughter and destroy civilizations, and for a being that is credited with being omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, and perfect, it's ultimately incriminating. If he were perfect, then his actions had no error and the disgusting actions are fine. If he's omnipotent, the only reason any of this happened is because he desired it, because if he were omnipotent he could change it in any way he wishes to fix the problem without any unnecessary bloodshed and genocide. If he were omniscient, he would have known of everything that occurred before it ever happened, and thus he could have easily avoided any of it. And if he were omnibenevolent, he wouldn't do any of this in the first place.

It doesn't matter that you don't live in the Old Testament; even in the New Testament God pushes for those that are not with him to suffer for eternity, and he still stands by and allows others to endure pain and torment with no real reason for not intervening immediately, or at all.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

The way I see it, I can't prove that God is perfect or not, but what I can say is that he allows this world to be fully imperfect, including death and destruction, otherwise his goodness cannot be shown if there is nothing to contrast it with. Maybe people don't get it yet. This crap happens because WE'RE not perfect. We're the screw ups, and he allows us to be such screw ups because otherwise we would have no free will whatsoever. The whole point of being a Christian is that one actually has to choose to be one.

Inconsequential? There was a huge consequence in God changing how things work due to the death of Jesus. No longer is it about "obey or watch your civilization turn to rubble", it has become about repentance through Jesus and showing mercy and forgiveness. That's very different.